+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

New Jersey Bill Would Prohibit Anonymous Posts on Forums

New Jersey Bill Would Prohibit Anonymous Posts on Forums Assembly, No. 1327 State of New Jersey 212th Legislature Pre-filed for Introduction in the 2006 Session "The operator of any interactive computer service or an Internet service provider shall establish, maintain and enforce a policy to require any information content provider who posts written messages on a public forum website either to be identified by a legal name and address, or to register a legal name and address with the operator of the interactive computer service or the Internet service provider through which the information content provider gains access to the interactive computer service or Internet, as appropriate."

Sponsored by:

Assemblyman PETER J. BIONDI
    (R-Legislative District 16) - http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/members/biondi.asp

District 16 (Morris and Somerset Counties)

SYNOPSIS

Makes certain operators of interactive computer services and Internet service providers liable to persons injured by false or defamatory messages posted on public forum websites.

umdkook Guest

Re: New Jersey Bill Would Prohibit Anonymous Posts on Forums

what is the aim of this???? to stop child predators????

Perhaps, that's a hot button issue right now with social networking sites, etc. Though most of what we hear about are people that are traced back to their ISP address, etc...

I'm not against the idea of holding more people more accountable for their actions online, as long as no privacy lines are crossed, I don't think it's a bad idea - though I do wonder what the impetus for the bill is.

This also begs the question, how many sites are actually registered in NJ?

umdkook Guest

I would imagine with NY being so close some social networking, dating, and other relationship/social-life type sites might be run there. Everyone knows if you can run your NY business from NJ, you might as well (for economic reasons). Maybe NJ thinks New Yorkers prey on NJ kids??

Good point. ;)

I think it is a ridiculous and very dangerous bill. What the laws intent is in this case is almost insignificant. The negative effects of this law outweigh any benefit. One impact it will have is to shut down dissenting opinions and unpopular points of view on any given subject.
    This is a perfect example of legislation we can expect from retarded fascist thugs.
    Also information that anonymous whistleblowers might post on the net would be at risk. If a Government Official, especially in New Jersey, wants to inform the public of corruption, treason or any number of misdeeds perpetrated by government they can be IDíed silenced and prosecuted.
    WE HAVE TO STOP THIS PIECE OF SH^T!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the bill has a flaw so big, that even a 4th grader could see it.

Forums, on websites are on PRIVATE PROPERTY (Cyberpromo vs CompuServe served to make this a fact). It can be available to the public, but its still owned by a private entity. That means, the governemtn can only apply this "law" to whatever SERVERS They own and happen to host a forum/group/chat on that the public can access; but forums, like Scam.com are on private servers, run by priavet individuals or companies.

ASSEMBLY BIONDI,
    THIS IS NOT an anonymous opinion. I proudly attach my name to it.
    [New Jersey Bill Would Prohibit Anonymous Posts on Forums Assembly, No. 1327 State of New Jersey 212th Legislature Pre-filed for Introduction in the 2006 Session]

I think it is a ridiculous and very dangerous bill. What the laws intent is in this case is almost insignificant. The negative effects of this law outweigh any benefit. One impact it will have is to shut down dissenting opinions and unpopular points of view on any given subject.
    This is a perfect example of legislation we can expect from retarded fascist thugs.
    Also information that anonymous whistleblowers might post on the net would be at risk. If a Government Official, especially in New Jersey, wants to inform the public of corruption, treason or any number of misdeeds perpetrated by government they can be IDíed silenced and prosecuted.
    I have family and friends in NJ and NY.
    SOME IN YOUR DISTRICT. I WILL MAKE CERTAIN THEY ARE AWARE OF YOUR INTENTIONS.
    No revision, restatement or re-introduction of any bill with this intent is acceptable to anyone that honors freedom of expression in this country.
    I strongly suggest that you should resign your position. You have no understanding of how government in this country is intended to function. You are elected to defend our freedoms not destroy them.
    Get out of Government; you are incompetent and treasonous.

Phinnly Slash Buster
    CC Jon S. Corzine
    Governor

leginfo@njleg.org
    Office of Legislative Services
    Office of Public Information
    Room 50
    State House Annex
    P.O. Box 068
    Trenton, NJ 08625-0068

Quote Originally Posted by Phinnly Slash Buster
    WE HAVE TO STOP THIS PIECE OF SH^T!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Point taken - definitely two sides to this one.

Section from text:
    3. An operator of an interactive computer service or an Internet service provider shall establish and maintain reasonable procedures to enable any person to request and obtain disclosure of the legal name and address of an information content provider who posts false or defamatory information about the person on a public forum website.

Now what could they mean by any? A non-law enforcement entity? A private citizen seeking said information without probably cause, or a warrant?? As far as I am concerned, that is very troubling.

4. Any person who is damaged by false or defamatory written messages that originate from an information content provider who posts such messages on a public forum website may file suit in Superior Court against an operator or provider that fails to establish, maintain and enforce the policy required pursuant to section 2 of P.L. , c. (C.) (pending before the Legislature as this bill), and may recover compensatory and punitive damages and the cost of the suit, including a reasonable attorney's fee, cost of investigation and litigation from such operator or provider.

We already have libel and defamation laws, why make another?? Also one must have sufficient proof that the libel or defamation has been detrimental to one's reputation, or ability to conduct business. I would say that was troubling, as well.

To make redundant laws on a state by state basis, and to try to curb the flow of information on such a large, and diverse arena, as the Internet is cause for great concern. Where will they hit next....

DeeDee1965

The Proposed Bill

New Jersey Bill Would Prohibit Anonymous Posts on Forums Assembly, No. 1327 State of New Jersey 212th Legislature Pre-filed for Introduction in the 2006 Session "The operator of any interactive computer service or an Internet service provider shall establish, maintain and enforce a policy to require any information content provider who posts written messages on a public forum website either to be identified by a legal name and address, or to register a legal name and address with the operator of the interactive computer service or the Internet service provider through which the information content provider gains access to the interactive computer service or Internet, as appropriate."

Sponsored by:

Assemblyman PETER J. BIONDI
    (R-Legislative District 16) - http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/members/biondi.asp

District 16 (Morris and Somerset Counties)

SYNOPSIS

Makes certain operators of interactive computer services and Internet service providers liable to persons injured by false or defamatory messages posted on public forum websites.

No surprise that this is the spawn of yet another Republican commie sack of sh!t. Leave it to these filthy, low-down Right-Wing Chimps to concoct another un-constitutional, idiotic, bullsh!t law to run up everybody's ass for the purpose of chilling free speech, prying into your private life and controlling every conceivable facet of human behavior. Do you know a Republican? Do a good turn. Put sh!t in their mailbox.
    Last edited by dante; 03-10-2006 at 03:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DeeDee1965
    Section from text:
    3. An operator of an interactive computer service or an Internet service provider shall establish and maintain reasonable procedures to enable any person to request and obtain disclosure of the legal name and address of an information content provider who posts false or defamatory information about the person on a public forum website.
    Owning my own e-commerce business, I stop internet fraud every day. Knowing how "Address Verification Systems" work, I find it difficult to believe that ISPs would have the resources to verify a person's name when they are creating an account. Although, I am not familiar with IP addresses, I still do not know how a company can verify your address without a credit card. For example... SCAM.com is most likely unable to verify Grim17's name when registering.

Simply lie when creating an account. "Joe Blow at 123 Peacock lane". It does not appear to be enforcable, nor does it appear to have a means of establishing validity of a subscribed person (other than an ISP that has your credit card on file).

Batarang Force

My 2 cents - the whole idea is ridiculous. It's a proposed law that cannot possibly be enforced.
    Just like the gun registration fiasco in Canada. Gee, the criminals still have guns? Wow, crimes are being committed with "unregistered" firearms? Not everyone complied to register their firearms as required by the law? Could this be an absolutely pointless law?
    The City of Calgary is in heated debate over a proposed "cat licence" law. My cat don't care one little bit (go figure...) about the possible fine! He's already tatooed, microchipped, innoculated, fumigated, neutered and subject to a fine if he's caught out of our yard. He's not prepared to submit to wearing a collar to accommodate a cheap tin tag, as well - he intends to be a "conscientious objector".
    Any idiot politician can make a proposal - unfortunately, it's what they do best.

Quote Originally Posted by BatarngForce
    Owning my own e-commerce business, I stop internet fraud every day. Knowing how "Address Verification Systems" work, I find it difficult to believe that ISPs would have the resources to verify a person's name when they are creating an account. Although, I am not familiar with IP addresses, I still do not know how a company can verify your address without a credit card. For example... SCAM.com is most likely unable to verify Grim17's name when registering.

Simply lie when creating an account. "Joe Blow at 123 Peacock lane". It does not appear to be enforcable, nor does it appear to have a means of establishing validity of a subscribed person (other than an ISP that has your credit card on file).

Batarang Force
    My read on the way this law is structured.
    A site like scam.com can be sued for defamatory statements made by posters if they canít id that poster. Or if they donít establish a system by which every poster can be positively Idíed they may be at risk for litigation.
    Example:
    Letís say you have a open house party and some clown you did not invite makes a defamatory statement that is actionable in some way. The offended party claims you are negligent for not iding the offender.
    The plaintiff then sues the host of the party,,,you for damages wins a settlement and puts a lean on your house.
    Last edited by Phinnly Slash Buster; 03-10-2006 at 05:41 PM.

My read on the way this law is structured.
    A site like scam.com can be sued for defamatory statements made by posters if they canít id that poster. Or if they donít establish a system by which every poster can be positively Idíed they may be at risk for litigation.
    Example:
    Letís say you have a open house party and some clown you did not invite makes a defamatory statement that is actionable in some way. The offended party claims you are negligent for not iding the offender.
    The plaintiff then sues the host of the party,,,you for damages wins a settlement and puts a lean on your house.
    Jesus! Unfortunately, as I have said before, there will need to be a cataclysm before the democrats bring a cannon to the gun fight, instead of a knife.

Row v Wade will have to be turned over along with issues like this passing. More of our civil rights will have to be lost in order for the opponents of the neocon's to wake up. If this is what it takes... then I unfortunately say "bring it on". We have to hit rock bottom before change will occur, just like an alcoholic, drug addict or a victim of domestic violence. There just has not been enough pain to institute change. I just hope that we do not end up in a totally fascist state [see V for Vendetta, the movie, when it comes out, better yet read the graphic novel] before we wake up.

Batarang Force

Quote Originally Posted by BatarngForce
    Jesus! Unfortunately, as I have said before, there will need to be a cataclysm before the democrats bring a cannon to the gun fight, instead of a knife.

Row v Wade will have to be turned over along with issues like this passing. More of our civil rights will have to be lost in order for the opponents of the neocon's to wake up. If this is what it takes... then I unfortunately say "bring it on". We have to hit rock bottom before change will occur, just like an alcoholic, drug addict or a victim of domestic violence. There just has not been enough pain to institute change. I just hope that we do not end up in a totally fascist state [see V for Vendetta, the movie, when it comes out, better yet read the graphic novel] before we wake up.

Batarang Force
    Unfortunately I'm afraid that may be true, but you may not realize how far we have to fall before we hit rock bottom. Americans, the vast majority, today are lazy, uneducated fools who believe everything they read in the papers or see on the tv. We will continue to take everything the politicians throw our way as long as the appropriate 'spin' is placed upon it. (read: Patriot Act for the good of national security) I'm an 'old school' republican, and am astounded at how fast both parties have fallen from any semblance to their stated platforms. My only hope is that we find a solution before we become a third world country from the obliteration of the middle class and spiraling national debt.