+ Reply to Thread

umdkook Guest

an oath of celibacy

can somene fill me in on why Priests are required to take an oath of celibacy???

please dont tell me "because they are holy of they do" or "it brings them close to g-d". surely there is some story behind it or some reason....

sojustask is offline The Late, Great Lady Mod - Retired User Rank

Re: an oath of celibacy

Probably because Paul said it would be better for a man to not take a wife and serve the lord. But they neglected to read that if he can't abstain it's better that he take a wife, that not everyone has the "gift" of celibacy.

I went and looked it up, I was very close.

Lady Mod
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clerical_celibacy

Celibacy in the Roman Catholic Church

The Catholic Church's stated reasons for clerical celibacy in are both theological and practical. Foremost in the theological realm are the desire to follow the teachings of Jesus with regard to chastity and the sacrifice of married life for the "sake of the Kingdom" (Luke 18:28-30, Matthew 19:27-30; Mark 10:20-21), and to follow the example of Jesus Christ in being "married" to the Church, viewed by Catholicism and many Christian traditions as the "Bride of Christ". Also of import are the teachings of St. Paul that chastity is the superior state of life, and his desire expressed in I Corinthians 7:7-8, "I would that all men were even as myself [celibate]óbut every one has his proper gift from God; one after this manner, and another after that. But I say to the unmarried and the widows. It is good for them if they so continue, even as I."

In t.erms of practical justifications, the reasons for celibacy are given by the Apostle Paul in I Corinthians 7:7-8;32-35: "But I would have you to be without solicitude. He that is without a wife is solicitous for the things that belong to the Lord, how he may please God. But he that is with a wife, is solicitous for the things of the world, how he may please his wife: and he is divided. And the unmarried woman and the virgin thinketh on the things of the Lord, that she may be holy both in body and spirit. But she that is married thinketh on the things of this world how she may please her husband. And this I speak for your profit, not to cast a snare upon you, but for that which is decent and which may give you power to attend upon the Lord without impediment."

Celibacy for priests is a discipline in the Catholic Church, not a doctrine: in other words, a church regulation, but not an infallible divine teaching. It dates to the time of Christ as an unbroken tradition, but was not made law until the 800's. It remains law today for Latin-rite (Roman) Catholics, but not for Eastern-rite Catholics. However, in North America, even Eastern-rite Catholic bishops will generally only ordain unmarried men because it is still feared that married priests in North America would create scandal. Exceptions are sometimes made (including in Latin-Rite Catholicism), granted by authority of the Pope, when married Protestant clergy become Catholic. Because the rule of celibacy is a law and not a doctrine, it can, in principle, be changed at any time by the Pope. Doctrines, on the other hand, cannot be changed. Nonetheless, both the present Pope, Benedict XVI, and his predecessor, spoke clearly of their understanding that the traditional practice was not likely to change. (For a detailed history of celibacy in the Catholic Church, see the Catholic Encyclopedia's article on "Celibacy of the Clergy" at http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/03481a.htm.)

Among the early Church statements on the topic of sexual continence and celibacy are "Decreta" and "Cum in unum" of Pope Siricius (c. 385), which claimed that clerical sexual abstinence was an apostolic practice that must be followed by ministers of the church. Two Canons from the following councils also help us understand the Roman Catholic position regarding continence and celibacy of the early church's priests:

Council of Elvira (300-306)

(Canon 33): It is decided that marriage be altogether prohibited to bishops, priests, and deacons, or to all clerics placed in the ministry, and that they keep away from their wives and not beget children; whoever does this, shall be deprived of the honor of the clerical office.

Council of Carthage (309)

(Canon 3): It is fitting that the holy bishops and priests of God as well as the Levites, i.e. those who are in the service of the divine sacraments, observe perfect continence, so that they may obtain in all simplicity what they are asking from God; what the Apostles taught and what antiquity itself observed, let us also endeavour to keep... It pleases us all that bishop, priest and deacon, guardians of purity, abstain from conjugal intercourse with their wives, so that those who serve at the altar may keep a perfect chastity.
    These canons are purely local to Latin-rite Roman Catholics, as the prohibitions are not even extended to the Eastern-Rite Catholics in communion with Rome.

umdkook Guest

interesting...
    I dont know much about the teachings of St. Paul, or any Saint for that matter. Being a non-christian, I was unaware that saints taught anything.

Quote Originally Posted by umdkook
    interesting...
    I dont know much about the teachings of St. Paul, or any Saint for that matter. Being a non-christian, I was unaware that saints taught anything.

OK!first things first!ignorance is no excuse(under the law)!?you knew that !?right!?what do i care!?hehe!!SO GO study the PARTS in question!?hehe!?IS THAT FAIR!?i mean........i have been a constant reader of JWR and i consider it A + to my UNDERSTANDING!!capeesh!?hehe!WHO CARES!?hehe!!i still like/love you,you SMUCK!!hehe!!of course,i'm lying!!hehe!!

TheWorker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lexx
    OK!first things first!ignorance is no excuse(under the law)!?you knew that !?right!?what do i care!?hehe!!SO GO study the PARTS in question!?hehe!?IS THAT FAIR!?i mean........i have been a constant reader of JWR and i consider it A + to my UNDERSTANDING!!capeesh!?hehe!WHO CARES!?hehe!!i still like/love you,you SMUCK!!hehe!!of course,i'm lying!!hehe!!
    ignorance is ALWAYS an excuse when it comes to religion....

go to the political forum if you want to refer to laws...

I have also wondered the same thing. Some say it is biblically based, but from what I have learned the teachings come mainly from the latter part of the new testament where Paul was the primary author. Paul also writes later in a letter to Timothy that "A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife," that means that a bishop was not supposed to have zero wives, but to only have one. As we know, during this time polygamy was accepted. Maybe Paul wrote this to try and make the bishop who was a leader in the church a model that the others would follow. Christ taught marriage and for this reason was against divorce. Many of the disciples had wives.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWorker

What's wrong with laws here? Do they not apply to the faithful?

Born2Serve Guest

Celibacy of the priests and confessionals were pagan practices used in ancient babylon and adopted by the vatican. The practices come from baal(sun god) worship as do most of catholic symbols and rituals. :eek:

click here

as i know understand by my own created household it is orderly and respectful of god/principles and his ordinances and goes beyond the inner working of my own mind!?in other words,if his written example i set before my own offspring whether i go the way of god or not effects them in the way god intended man to behave!?i directly effect my own offspring in a way that no one else can!?that is why it states sins of the fathers!?all part of the tribbles!!.......(tribulation!?)singular or joined in!?the cascade effect!?the pyramid exposed for good or bad!?hehe!!......just askin.....

Born2Serve Guest

wickipedia is a joke :D

click here

Lord_jag is offline I am God because I say I am. Prove me wrong. User Rank

Quote Originally Posted by TheWorker

Of course it is. What would religion be if they weren't ignorant?

TheWorker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bogie
    What's wrong with laws here? Do they not apply to the faithful?
    thats the point i was making, laws apply to citizens, so go to the political forum for discussions about laws.

religions and their customs, values, teachings apply only to those that follow that religion, so ignorance to said things is always an excuse...

Of course it is. What would religion be if they weren't ignorant?
    I cant beat that.

And to take the easy line, if they had a wife how would they find the time to molest little boys and take drugs?

TheWorker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by wazzaa
    I cant beat that.

And to take the easy line, if they had a wife how would they find the time to molest little boys and take drugs?
    speaking of which, the movie Airplane 2 (great flick) was just on tv, and in it they show a couple people reading sterotypical magazines, and they show a priest reading "Altar Boy" magazine with a wierd grin on his face...this movie is from 1982!!! i didnt know they we as society knew about some clergy members molesting little boys until recently...