+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 76

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    359

    South Dakota makes abortion illegal even with Rape & Incest!...

    Campaigners to challenge South Dakota abortions ban
    08.03.06 1.00pm
    By Andrew Buncombe



    WASHINGTON - Campaigners are preparing to challenge a landmark decision in South Dakota to ban abortions in almost all circumstances - a move that will force the Supreme Court to again address one of the most divisive issues in the United States.

    New legislation signed earlier this week by the state's governor, Mike Rounds, makes abortion illegal in every circumstance except where the life of the woman is threatened.

    There are no exceptions, even for cases of rape or incest, though in these circumstances women could receive emergency contraception.
    Doctors and medical staff who provide an abortion face up to five years in prison.

    Abortion rights campaigners say they will be challenging the legislation which appears to clearly contravene the historic 1973 Roe v Wade ruling by the Supreme Court which provided women with the right to legal abortion.

    It is likely that a judge would suspend the new legislation before it comes into affect on July 1, thereby opening the way for the matter to be decided by the Supreme Court.

    "We fully intend to challenge this law," said Kate Looby, state director of Planned Parenthood, which operates South Dakota's only abortion clinic. "It's just a question of how."

    The legal tussle, which both sides believe will take years to conclude, will take place against the back-drop of an ongoing debate within the US about access to abortion - a debate that is marked by a fierce intensity.

    It is also, in part, a debate about tactics: anti-abortion campaigners debated long and hard among themselves before launching this "direct frontal assault" and many thought it would be more effective to continue to chip away at abortion rights.

    But the discussion was won by those who believed that the recent appointment of conservative justices John Roberts and Samuel Alito to the Supreme Court have provided a rare opportunity to overturn Roe v Wade.

    Similar legislation is currently being considered by politicians in Mississippi.


    Frances Kissling, president of the abortion rights group Catholics for a Free Choice, said it was unlikely the Supreme Court would overturn Roe v Wade, partly because the issue of abortion was such an effective rallying cry for right-wing Republicans.

    "To the extent that the court is influenced by politics - which it is - [they would] want to preserve it," she said.

    But she said while upholding Roe, court could in its ruling indicate to anti-abortion activists that it would support greater restrictions on abortion.

    "The message would be in the language," she said.

    Though he put his signature to the South Dakota legislation, Mr Rounds was among those anti-abortion campaigners who believed a different approach might ultimately be more successful.

    "Personally I think this court will be more interested in looking at different aspects of Roe v Wade rather than the direct frontal assault, but we'll never know unless someone tries," he said.

    Along with gay rights and the death penalty, the issue of abortion remains one of the great dividing lines in the so-called "culture wars" played out in broader US society.

    Polls portray a somewhat complicated picture but clearly suggest the decision in South Dakota is out of touch with the view of the majority of Americans.

    The most recent survey, commissioned by the New York Times in January, found 38 per cent supported access to abortion, that 39 per cent felt abortion should be available but with stricter restrictions than present while 21 per cent supported making abortion illegal.

    Abortion rights activists say the passing of the South Dakota legislation will act as a wake-up call for those who support abortion but have become complacent.

    "We see that this is about more than just South Dakota. It's about the country," said Nancy Keenan, president of NARAL Pro-Choice America. "The bottom line in all of it is - elections matter."

    Some in South Dakota who oppose abortion objected to the new legislation because it failed to take into account the circumstances of a woman's pregnancy.

    "Not allowing an exception for rape, incest and the health of the mother is a radical position," said State Democratic Representative Pat Haley, who is opposed to abortion but voted against the bill.


    But some opponents of abortion simply celebrated.

    Leslee Unruh, founder of the Alpha Centre which provides counselling to pregnant women, said: "We finally have been heard. We are so excited. We're ordering lobster and having a party. We are thrilled."

    ------------------

    It is unfortunate to see such acts of unjust legislation put forth. To not include rape, incest or the health of the mother when making such a ruling is not only unjust... it is immoral. This is not a good example of family values, nor is good for domestic policy as a whole.

    What is even more unfortunate is that the Democratic Party will need to lose Row v Wade before they ever realize what is happening. There are so many items on the table that need to be discussed as well as "fixed", abortion not being one of them. The republican party cries "Smaller Government! Smaller Government", then allows the Christian Coalition to run rampant with unjust legislation. Democrats need to wake up before something catastrophic happens.

    Smaller Government, YES! Beginning with not being present in our women's womb.

    Batarang Force

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    105

    Re: South Dakota makes abortion illegal even with Rape & Incest!...

    From a conservative, Christian point-of-view, I still see this as a travesty. Most zealots will cheer this law, but even God gave man free will. I just can't reconcile in my mind a government forcing a woman to carry to term a child conceived through rape or other violent act. Though in my perfect world, the woman would carry the child and place it for adoption, I can in no way justify legislating that opinion. It is my sincerest wish that the Supreme Court, when they hear this case, will follow precedent and throw this law out.

  3. #3
    umdkook Guest

    Re: South Dakota makes abortion illegal even with Rape & Incest!...

    Yes ROW v. wade is extremely important, wouldnt want to lose that case as part of our americana....

    batty, go back to whereever you where before february...

  4. #4
    coontie is offline Vashudeva; Ferryman - doing the work... User Rank
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,392

    Re: South Dakota makes abortion illegal even with Rape & Incest!...

    Obviously they are foaming at the mouth Nuts!

    Must be the fallout contained in the recent winter's snow! :rolleyes:

  5. #5
    coontie is offline Vashudeva; Ferryman - doing the work... User Rank
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,392

    Re: South Dakota makes abortion illegal even with Rape & Incest!...

    Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash
    From a conservative, Christian point-of-view, I still see this as a travesty. Most zealots will cheer this law, but even God gave man free will. I just can't reconcile in my mind a government forcing a woman to carry to term a child conceived through rape or other violent act. Though in my perfect world, the woman would carry the child and place it for adoption, I can in no way justify legislating that opinion. It is my sincerest wish that the Supreme Court, when they hear this case, will follow precedent and throw this law out.
    only problem with this sort of conception; Rape - the Progeny will very
    possibly carry the bad seed with it and propiagte the same act/s against
    future individuals.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,682

    Re: South Dakota makes abortion illegal even with Rape & Incest!...

    Quote Originally Posted by coontie
    only problem with this sort of conception; Rape - the Progeny will very
    possibly carry the bad seed with it and propiagte the same act/s against
    future individuals.
    "The bad seed"? What is this, voodoo? You think a child born of rape is likely to become a rapist because of a "bad seed"? What if they never even know, like if they are put through the adoption system.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    2,081

    Re: South Dakota makes abortion illegal even with Rape & Incest!...

    if i was a women, got raped, and then was forced, by law, to carry my rapists baby... that would REALLY suck..

  8. #8
    coontie is offline Vashudeva; Ferryman - doing the work... User Rank
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,392

    Re: South Dakota makes abortion illegal even with Rape & Incest!...

    Quote Originally Posted by ianmatthews
    "The bad seed"? What is this, voodoo? You think a child born of rape is likely to become a rapist because of a "bad seed"? What if they never even know, like if they are put through the adoption system.
    Too bad E-un... if you don't get it cannot recite the ABC's for you!

    Discrepancies in the Genes doesn't have anything to do with whether one
    knows or not.

    I've given you this much, the rest is up to you!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    18

    Re: South Dakota makes abortion illegal even with Rape & Incest!...

    As a liberal, I find the SD case outrageous. I could argue about it until I'm blue in the face - but at a higher, less controversial altitude I will say that I don't think the Republicans would ever actually overturn Roe v. Wade. 60% of the country approves of abortion in some sense - if they ever actually put the screws to R v W they would essentially hand the Dems the next election - I think you can only take the tramping on civil liberties thing so far before people start getting really pissed off.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,682

    Re: South Dakota makes abortion illegal even with Rape & Incest!...

    Quote Originally Posted by coontie
    Too bad E-un... if you don't get it cannot recite the ABC's for you!

    Discrepancies in the Genes doesn't have anything to do with whether one
    knows or not.

    I've given you this much, the rest is up to you!
    I guess "the rest" in this case is coming to the conclusion that you're full of it if you believe in an "evil gene".

    Provide me evidence of a genetic predisposition towards malevolence or evil if you're going to bother to make the outlandish claim, otherwise that's all it is.

  11. #11
    sojustask's Avatar
    sojustask is offline The Late, Great Lady Mod - Retired User Rank
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    12,866

    Re: South Dakota makes abortion illegal even with Rape & Incest!...

    Quote Originally Posted by coontie
    only problem with this sort of conception; Rape - the Progeny will very
    possibly carry the bad seed with it and propiagte the same act/s against
    future individuals.
    I hope that you don't actually believe this? Rapists do not pass down a rapist "gene" any more than gay folks pass down a "gay" gene.

    Geez!

  12. #12
    coontie is offline Vashudeva; Ferryman - doing the work... User Rank
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,392

    Re: South Dakota makes abortion illegal even with Rape & Incest!...

    Quote Originally Posted by ianmatthews
    I guess "the rest" in this case is coming to the conclusion that you're full of it if you believe in an "evil gene".

    Provide me evidence of a genetic predisposition towards malevolence or evil if you're going to bother to make the outlandish claim, otherwise that's all it is.
    put whatever spin you care to on my comments! :rolleyes:

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,682

    Re: South Dakota makes abortion illegal even with Rape & Incest!...

    Quote Originally Posted by coontie
    put whatever spin you care to on my comments! :rolleyes:
    Spin? Whatever. If you want to play around, look elsewhere. I wanted evidence for your specious claim. Either put up or shut up.

  14. #14
    coontie is offline Vashudeva; Ferryman - doing the work... User Rank
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,392

    Re: South Dakota makes abortion illegal even with Rape & Incest!...

    Quote Originally Posted by sojustask
    I hope that you don't actually believe this? Rapists do not pass down a rapist "gene" any more than gay folks pass down a "gay" gene.

    Geez!
    "Geez" you say!? What's so prepostorous about that? Are you a scientists
    or something? If you know otherwise, please direct me to a reliable source
    which states that this CANNOT be true. WOuld appreciate that further
    FACTUAL enlightment.

    who knows? I am (seriously) very interested in the Human Genome Project
    and it's results.

    I know that it has been basically completed. Now, it will be amazing what
    will be derived, discovered through the use of the DNA materials.

    As you know, already, it has been employed to a great extent in criminal
    cases as well as establishing relationships.

    Some things will be revealed through this research that, I think, will
    be unbelievable.

    As for homosexual, I personally believe that people come into this world
    with this tendency as innate withing their being. So yes, I suppose you
    could say that I believe that homosexuals are born this way, same as
    heterosexuals. Not a choice!

    Not to say that a 'Gay Man/Woman' wil pass on this gene to the NeXt
    generation, could skip a few, but will reemerge. However, how is this
    to be, in men, if they do cohabit with a woman, which of course is
    NOT their tendency?

    With a woman, doing Invitro, is different. She still contributes genetic
    material.

    Also, could be something to the 'evil seed' thing. Future research will
    reveal this. Would be interesting to track this tendency through
    bloodlines.

    Although, it has been only very recently that authorities, scientists have
    begun keeping accurate, reliable records on these matters.

    Specific studies will probably be made some day in vrious regards,
    including genetic tendencies to commit violence. It will be interesting
    to see the results.

    It must be an agreeable observation that many people go through life
    with no violent or criminal activity in their life. Others cannot seem to
    live without it.

    Someday, science will address all of this. Wil be very interesting. Much
    can and will be revealed, learned.

    I will conclude this by saying, in the end; I cannot qualify this as
    Scientifically true, as in factual, nor neither can anyone of you.

    Any one of you may have personal reasons for beliefs otherwise.
    That is your personal situation.

  15. #15
    coontie is offline Vashudeva; Ferryman - doing the work... User Rank
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,392

    Re: South Dakota makes abortion illegal even with Rape & Incest!...

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Crab of PAIN!!!
    if i was a women, got raped, and then was forced, by law, to carry my rapists baby... that would REALLY suck..
    I am with you; I understand you feelings and agree that it would be a
    very miserable and undesirable situation!

  16. #16
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    2,682

    Re: South Dakota makes abortion illegal even with Rape & Incest!...

    Quote Originally Posted by coontie
    "Geez" you say!? What's so prepostorous about that? Are you a scientists
    or something? If you know otherwise, please direct me to a reliable source
    which states that this CANNOT be true. WOuld appreciate that further
    FACTUAL enlightment.

    who knows? I am (seriously) very interested in the Human Genome Project
    and it's results.

    I know that it has been basically completed. Now, it will be amazing what
    will be derived, discovered through the use of the DNA materials.

    As you know, already, it has been employed to a great extent in criminal
    cases as well as establishing relationships.

    Some things will be revealed through this research that, I think, will
    be unbelievable.

    As for homosexual, I personally believe that people come into this world
    with this tendency as innate withing their being. So yes, I suppose you
    could say that I believe that homosexuals are born this way, same as
    heterosexuals. Not a choice!

    Not to say that a 'Gay Man/Woman' wil pass on this gene to the NeXt
    generation, could skip a few, but will reemerge. However, how is this
    to be, in men, if they do cohabit with a woman, which of course is
    NOT their tendency?

    With a woman, doing Invitro, is different. She still contributes genetic
    material.

    Also, could be something to the 'evil seed' thing. Future research will
    reveal this. Would be interesting to track this tendency through
    bloodlines.

    Although, it has been only very recently that authorities, scientists have
    begun keeping accurate, reliable records on these matters.

    Specific studies will probably be made some day in vrious regards,
    including genetic tendencies to commit violence. It will be interesting
    to see the results.

    It must be an agreeable observation that many people go through life
    with no violent or criminal activity in their life. Others cannot seem to
    live without it.

    Someday, science will address all of this. Wil be very interesting. Much
    can and will be revealed, learned.

    I will conclude this by saying, in the end; I cannot qualify this as
    Scientifically true, as in factual, nor neither can anyone of you.

    Any one of you may have personal reasons for beliefs otherwise.
    That is your personal situation.

    This is all nonsense. "Someday you'll see." Uh Huh. "I know what the Human Genome Project is!"

    Still no evidence. The burden of proof is on you, not us. You made the claim.
    Last edited by ianmatthews; 03-09-2006 at 09:28 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. Mitt Romney Won South Dakota
    By Administrator in forum Political Scams
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-06-2012, 08:10 PM
  2. Dakota Rep Lawmaker Convicted - Rape Foster Kids
    By willyjoe in forum Political Scams
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-21-2011, 08:10 AM
  3. Ban on Abortion South Dakota
    By Pike in forum Political Scams
    Replies: 454
    Last Post: 11-26-2010, 08:37 PM
  4. South Dakota REJECTS Tough Abortion Ban
    By Connecticut Victim in forum Political Scams
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-08-2006, 05:59 PM
  5. South Dakota Bans Abortion
    By sojustask in forum Political Scams
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-14-2006, 06:58 AM

Tags for this Thread

Add / Edit Tags
$100, 000, ???, abc, abortion, abortions, access, account, accurate, act, actions, acts, address, administration, admit, adult, advocates, affairs, afford, age, agree, agreement, agrees, ain, aint, allowed, allowing, amazing, amendment, america, american, amp, andrew, announced, another, anti, appears, appointment, appointments, approval, approved, art, article, assault, ation, attacks, attempts, attention, author, avoid, aware, babies, baby, bad, ban, banging, bankruptcy, bans, based, basic, basically, batang, batman, begging, bet, better, bigger, bit, blame, blocking, blood, blue, body, books, brain, breaks, breath, bring, brow, brown, bur, buster, bye, called, calling, camps, cannot, capital, care, careful, cares, carolina, carry, case, catholic, caused, central, centre, cer, challenge, chance, checking, choice, chris, christian, civil, claim, cli, clients, clinic, clinics, clinto, coming, comments, commissioned, commit, common, communication, completely, complex, compliance, comprehension, con, condi, confirmed, confirming, connection, conservative, conservatives, continue, contributed, control, costs, couldn, country, courier, court, courts, cover, crap, criminals, crisis, critical, crowd, cruel, cry, culture, current, dakota, daughter, day, days, dea, dead, death, debate, decided, decision, declared, deeds, defeated, defend, deliver, delivered, demin, democrats, dems, description, desk, devastating, didn, differently, difficult, direct, director, disease, disgusting, dish, district, disturbing, dna, doctors, doesn, don, dona, dont, dow, drew, drop, drug, due, dumped, earlier, early, effective, effects, electio, eliminate, eme, emergency, employees, ended, enter, entire, entry, environment, equity, europe, exceptions, expand, expelled, experience, explained, extreme, extremely, eyes, face, faced, facts, fails, fallout, false, father, fda, fec, federal, feel, felt, female, field, final, financial, financially, finding, finds, flag, focus, folks, forces, forward, fos, fra, france, frequent, friday, fully, funds, future, gag, gave, gay, girl, girls, give, global, god, good, gov, government, governor, great, greatest, group, growing, guys, hand, happened, happening, hard, harry, hasn, head, healthy, heart, held, hey, high, higher, his, hits, home, homes, homosexual, horrible, hospital, hours, house, html, huma, human, ial, ian, ica, identify, idiot, ignored, ill, illegal, ime, immune, important, include, indicating, individuals, infected, injury, insult, inter, interview, involved, involves, ion, iowa, isn, issue, issues, jail, jim, john, judge, justices, justify, kill, killed, kind, kit, knew, last, latest, lawmakers, lead, lewinski, liberal, life, likes, limited, line, lines, lis, local, long, los, lose, loser, losing, loss, lot, lunatic, mad, making, male, market, matter, mea, meaningless, medicaid, medical, medicare, meet, member, members, men, mens, mental, messages, method, mike, million, mind, miserable, monitoring, moral, more, morning, moron, mother, move, movies, multi, multiple, murder, nate, nation, nature, ner, new york times, north, notification, nursing, office, officially, officials, ongoing, open, opportunity, oral, order, org, owen, oxygen, package, pages, par, part, partner, party, pass, passed, penis, people, perfect, perfectly, person, personal, personality, personally, photoshop, picture, pictures, pissed, place, plan, planned, planning, play, played, pleasant, point, policy, poor, popular, pos, position, positive, post, posted, poster, posts, prepared, preparing, presiden, pressed, prevent, prevention, prisoner, privacy, private, problem, process, productive, products, promising, proposal, prosecuted, protected, prove, provider, pukes, punishment, push, qualified, quarter, question, quit, quote, quotes, rains, rape, raped, rapist, rapists, rare, raving, rea, reaction, read, ready, real, reason, reasonable, reasons, receiving, red, references, regime, reid, related, released, reliable, removed, reporting, represent, representative, research, respect, respond, response, responsible, rest, results, revealed, robbery, row, run, safe, scheduled, seem, select, selling, sen, senate, sense, sensitive, sept, september, served, services, session, set, severe, sex, shock, short, shot, shouldn, show, showed, shut, shut up, signed, simple, simply, site, skin, slaughter, small, smith, soldiers, sorry, speaking, specifically, spent, staff, star, start, state, stated, states, stats, status, stay, stern, stole, stop, story, stupid, submit, successful, suck, sul, super, supervision, supported, suppose, suppressing, supreme court, surgery, survey, survive, system, systems, taint, taken, takes, talk, talking, ted, text, the new york times, they, thinks, thought, threatened, throw, tie, tied, time, times, tme, today, told, tone, total, totally, touch, tough, toxic, trac, track, tracks, transfer, transplant, treated, trouble, unfortunate, unintended, united, united states, unwan, ups, url, user, usual, vest, victim, victimized, view, viola, viole, violence, violent, voted, votes, waiting, wall, wanted, wars, waste, watching, weak, websites, week, weeks, weird, win, winter, woma, women, won, wont, words, world, worse, worth, write, wrong, yahoo, year, years, york, young

View Tag Cloud

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
  •