+ Reply to Thread

sojustask is offline The Late, Great Lady Mod - Retired User Rank

Patriot Act includes crackdown on meth use

By LAURIE KELLMAN
    ASSOCIATED PRESS WRITER

WASHINGTON -- Suffer from springtime allergies? You could be among the first affected by the USA Patriot Act poised for final congressional passage this week.

Besides terrorism, the bill takes aim at the production of methamphetamine, a highly addictive drug that cannot be manufactured without a key ingredient of everyday cold and allergy medicines. The bill would impose new limits next month for how much relief a person can buy over the counter.

And beginning Sept. 30, it'll take a flash of ID to buy that medication.

The legislation sponsored by Sens. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif. and Jim Talent, R-Mo., would blanket the nation with one policy that would put medicines containing pseudoephedrine behind the counter and out of the reach of meth cooks.

"If we leave it up to local jurisdiction, we're simply going to move the problem from one jurisdiction to another without addressing the root cause," said Fresno, Calif., Police Chief Jerry Dyer.

Pass a state or local law cracking down on methamphetamine production, set off a cycle that goes something like this:

The black market price of cold tablets needed to make the drug skyrockets, driving the meth makers to the jurisdiction next door. There, they buy it in bulk - legally, cheaply, anonymously.

That is, until that state or city gets tough on meth with new laws of its own.

Rather than wait for localities to stitch together a patchwork of anti meth policies, the provision of the Patriot Act would leave meth producers nowhere to run but out of the country. It takes aim at the meth trade's weakest point - the supply of pseudoephedrine.

Beginning 30 days after President Bush signs the law, expected sometime this week, purchase limits go into effect. One person would be limited to buying 300, 30-mg pills in a month or 120 such pills in a day. The measure would make an exception for "single-use" sales - individually packaged pseudoephedrine products.

Many retailers, such as Kmart, Walgreens, Target and Wal-Mart, have already adopted guidelines to limit customer access to cold products or to limit their sales.

Similar state and local restrictions have caused seizures of meth labs to plunge by double-digit percentages in such states as Arkansas, Oregon and Missouri.

At the same time, drug agents began finding more meth from Mexican cartels on the street.

Still, closing down domestic meth labs is of unique urgency to public health and safety, law enforcement officials said.

The drug is made in clandestine labs with battery acid, drain cleaner or other chemicals that help turn the cold and allergy medicine into powder.

One quart of ether, another ingredient, holds the explosive power of several sticks of dynamite, said Sgt. Jason Grellner of the Franklin County, Mo., Narcotics Enforcement Unit, which has seized 600 meth labs since 1998 in a jurisdiction of 100,000 people.

Wading into the toxic soup of a meth lab puts officers in situations for which they are not necessarily trained, Grellner said.

"They have to know the job of a hazardous-waste chemist. They have to have the mindset of a firefighter. They have to be a natural-resources worker," Grellner said. "Wearing that many hats is a safety concern."

And an abandoned lab becomes an environmental hazard, pointed out Dyer.

"They were leaving the chemicals and equipment out in the open and vacating the property," Dyer said. "They found out that we started to trace down suspects with that equipment. Now they are burying these same items underground."

Oklahoma provides evidence that driving out meth labs doesn't mean getting rid of meth. Oklahoma's meth lab seizures have fallen 90 percent since April 2004, when it became the first state to ban over-the-counter sales of everyday cold and allergy medications.

At the same time, seizures of smokeable Mexican meth known as "crystal ice" rose nearly fivefold, from 384 cases in the 15 months before the law to 1,875 since.

"We're going to see trafficking by Mexican cartel organizations, on a much larger scale," Grellner said.

Re: Patriot Act includes crackdown on meth use

Quote Originally Posted by sojustask

By LAURIE KELLMAN
    ASSOCIATED PRESS WRITER

WASHINGTON -- Suffer from springtime allergies? You could be among the first affected by the USA Patriot Act poised for final congressional passage this week.

Besides terrorism, the bill takes aim at the production of methamphetamine, a highly addictive drug that cannot be manufactured without a key ingredient of everyday cold and allergy medicines. The bill would impose new limits next month for how much relief a person can buy over the counter.

And beginning Sept. 30, it'll take a flash of ID to buy that medication.

The legislation sponsored by Sens. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif. and Jim Talent, R-Mo., would blanket the nation with one policy that would put medicines containing pseudoephedrine behind the counter and out of the reach of meth cooks.

"If we leave it up to local jurisdiction, we're simply going to move the problem from one jurisdiction to another without addressing the root cause," said Fresno, Calif., Police Chief Jerry Dyer.

Pass a state or local law cracking down on methamphetamine production, set off a cycle that goes something like this:

The black market price of cold tablets needed to make the drug skyrockets, driving the meth makers to the jurisdiction next door. There, they buy it in bulk - legally, cheaply, anonymously.

That is, until that state or city gets tough on meth with new laws of its own.

Rather than wait for localities to stitch together a patchwork of anti meth policies, the provision of the Patriot Act would leave meth producers nowhere to run but out of the country. It takes aim at the meth trade's weakest point - the supply of pseudoephedrine.

Beginning 30 days after President Bush signs the law, expected sometime this week, purchase limits go into effect. One person would be limited to buying 300, 30-mg pills in a month or 120 such pills in a day. The measure would make an exception for "single-use" sales - individually packaged pseudoephedrine products.

Many retailers, such as Kmart, Walgreens, Target and Wal-Mart, have already adopted guidelines to limit customer access to cold products or to limit their sales.

Similar state and local restrictions have caused seizures of meth labs to plunge by double-digit percentages in such states as Arkansas, Oregon and Missouri.

At the same time, drug agents began finding more meth from Mexican cartels on the street.

Still, closing down domestic meth labs is of unique urgency to public health and safety, law enforcement officials said.

The drug is made in clandestine labs with battery acid, drain cleaner or other chemicals that help turn the cold and allergy medicine into powder.

One quart of ether, another ingredient, holds the explosive power of several sticks of dynamite, said Sgt. Jason Grellner of the Franklin County, Mo., Narcotics Enforcement Unit, which has seized 600 meth labs since 1998 in a jurisdiction of 100,000 people.

Wading into the toxic soup of a meth lab puts officers in situations for which they are not necessarily trained, Grellner said.

"They have to know the job of a hazardous-waste chemist. They have to have the mindset of a firefighter. They have to be a natural-resources worker," Grellner said. "Wearing that many hats is a safety concern."

And an abandoned lab becomes an environmental hazard, pointed out Dyer.

"They were leaving the chemicals and equipment out in the open and vacating the property," Dyer said. "They found out that we started to trace down suspects with that equipment. Now they are burying these same items underground."

Oklahoma provides evidence that driving out meth labs doesn't mean getting rid of meth. Oklahoma's meth lab seizures have fallen 90 percent since April 2004, when it became the first state to ban over-the-counter sales of everyday cold and allergy medications.

At the same time, seizures of smokeable Mexican meth known as "crystal ice" rose nearly fivefold, from 384 cases in the 15 months before the law to 1,875 since.

"We're going to see trafficking by Mexican cartel organizations, on a much larger scale," Grellner said.
    File this in the "Inmates Running The Asylum" category. Since "Tricky Dicky" Nixon set up the DEA, America has steadily progressed on an inexorable course towards a fascist police state. This is what Republicans are all about.

They are always harping ad nauseum on the benefits of "small government". This is just a distraction from their real goal: a monstrous, out of control, Orwellian Police State on steroids here and a brutal, militaristic, empire that bullies everybody else around The World.

Republicans are liars. Republicans are thieves and criminals. Republicans are traitors to The Constitution. Republicans are the enemy. I hate Republicans

Do you love America? Then each day do something, however small, to hurt a Republican. It feels good.
    Last edited by dante; 03-07-2006 at 03:38 PM.

crytal meth is really bad S H I T!!i would not hesitate to stop it's spread by any means!!if one mind is lost(self control) to this crap it is a tradgedy of unspeakable proportions.this is one of the bad ones.one use and it's over for the unlucky!?but on the lighter side.........as long as we all can get along!?what's the problem!?look ma!!a crazy person is tryin ta kill me!?relax dear,they just did an overdose.......just duck and run!?hehe!!suits me fine.......how about the rest of you!?hehe!!michael row the boat ashore.........HURRY!!no wait!!stay away from the shore!!we're SAFE out here!?WAIT read the checklist!?only the invited aboard.RIGHT!?........PHEW!!throw out the anchor and relax man!!and if ya see any FOOL swimmin too close.......get busy with the oars!?hehe!!
    Last edited by lexx; 03-14-2006 at 06:52 AM.

Fizban "The Fabulous" Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lexx
    crytal meth is really bad S H I T!!i would not hesitate to stop it's spread by any means!!if one mind is lost(self control) to this crap it is a tradgedy of unspeakable proportions.this is one of the bad ones.one use and it's over for the unlucky!?but on the lighter side.........as long as we all can get along!?what's the problem!?look ma!!a crazy person is tryin ta kill me!?relax dear,they just did an overdose.......just duck and run!?hehe!!suits me fine.......how about the rest of you!?hehe!!michael row the boat ashore.........HURRY!!no wait!!stay away from the shore!!we're SAFE out here!?WAIT read the checklist!?only the invited aboard.RIGHT!?........PHEW!!throw out the anchor and relax man!!and if ya see any FOOL swimmin too close.......get busy with the oars!?hehe!!

What he's trying to say is is that ice or meth ect... has no purpose other than to amplify the attributes of the red chakra (and organ functions). If your obsessed with ****ing and fighting and haven't made the next step in developing your chi this stuff is going to seem like heaven.

The boat thing is a metaphor. There are better realms of reality, ice tricks you into thinking you need it to feel heaven, An the high is not heaven.

The goal is to get to the top of the mountain where the rain washes into the river, we all start at the delta. Paddling upstream is harder than walking, we learnt to walk for a reason. We created boats - we are meant to use them to get from shore to shore, not to paddle in against the current for the rest of eternity.

People unlearned in the correct use of drugs can get caught in the current and lose their ability to row their boat back to shore. If they floated in their boat and looked at the shore and thought for a while they would see that it's easier to walk to the next section of the river than to paddle.

Quote Originally Posted by dante
    Republicans are liars. Republicans are thieves and criminals. Republicans are traitors to The Constitution. Republicans are the enemy. I hate Republicans
    Uh oh. You better hope Lisan doesn't see this or your gonna be copping it :)

I don't know?? But it seems that the crackdown on the homefront is to cut down on the competition for the drug cartels, via Mexico, Central Amaerica, and South America.

It would seem fair to say that the concern isn't the drug as much as it is who you buy it from? So we have controlled the production of the drug by limiting the accesability of the merchendise needed to make it, but the borders are wide open and production to the south is more than enough to supply the entire North American contenent with meth in any form.

Ice being the most addictive seems to be an excellent choice for those who are using drugs to suppliment the profit margin for major corporations, by way of laundering the cash from this illegal and evidently necessary enterprise, by the rich/elite.

Sounds like the neo-cons are rolling in the dough while using the government to curtail their competition. This is nothing new, in fact it is business as usual.

I also read somewhere that the heroin business was all but limited in Afghanistan when we invaded, for good reason! Unfortunately, since we are there to help, the heroin production is bigger than it was in 2000? Today the American controlled Afghanistan, is back up in the 80-90 percentile in providing heroin globally? Coincidental???

Lol Kazaa, I think I've given up. Some people can't realize that ALL people are unique - not all Republicans are bad. (I married one.) The majority of my family is Republican, but I still love em.

Anyway, as for the cold medicine thing, they already passed a law here in UT requiring you to show your ID and you must get it from a pharmacist. It ticks me off. For instance, I came down with a HORRIBLE cold on a Saturday evening. No pharmacy in my area is open at that time. I go into Wal-Mart - visibly sick - and all I want is one package of cold medicine, but instead I have to get the stuff that doesn't work as well because it doesn't matter how sick I am. Ya - the law is messed up.

sojustask is offline The Late, Great Lady Mod - Retired User Rank

Well, the thread is a year old. What has happened with this since then? Cold medicines have new formulas that aren't as effective in treating our symptoms. I think at least one had a recall and we have longer lines at the counter. But by golly, I can still get diet pills with tons of caffeine in them, lol.

Pretty much, I think, nothing else has changed. :)

Lady Mod

sojustask;
    Well, the thread is a year old. What has happened with this since then? Cold medicines have new formulas. I think at least one had a recall and we have longer lines at the counter.

Pretty much, I think, nothing else has changed.

Lady Mod
    Sure it has? Local yocals are no longer in the running on the competitive level, against the CIA controlled drug cartels, and even with the drop in competition, supply, demand, & usage are above projected expectations!! Life is good, that is unless you are a law abiding citizen legitimately in need of medicinal relief, and are purchasing over the counter, legally?? Then you get to be harassed, must verify who you are (like you don’t already know) by being forced to show the appropriate Id (zee papers pleeeze), your limited to one package per person even if more than one person in the household is afflicted, and your name goes on a list (you know the list! shhh… don’t tell anyone) as a potential drug manufacturer, and/or terrorist? Hope your name doesn't find it's way to the “other” list, or you won't be able to travel, open a checking account, or legally drive your own car?

Other than that all is well and business as usual, in the police state, once known as America???

Greetings scam-dot-commers,
    Thought everyone reading this thread might enjoy this:

Jim Morrison records an anti-speed statement

Back in the hey days of the Doors, the anti-drug foundation 'Do It Now' asked their singer Jim Morrison to tape an anti-drug ad for their "Speed Kills" radio campaign. Alice Cooper and Grace Slick had already done it and Frank Zappa had also recorded a fierce warning that "[...] In general, this drug will make you just like your mother and father."

Below you can read what happened when it was Morrison's turn.

(All of this text is from Jerry Hopkins and Danny Sugarman's book "No one here gets out alive")

When the Do It Now representative finally arrived with his tape recorder to produce the 60-second spot, Jim found himself a great seat and graciously offered the rep the one on the other side of his corner desk. He appeared eager to please. "Okay, now, what we want you to say," the rep nervously started, "is 'This is Jim Morrison from the Doors,' and then just, ummm, in your own words, tell them speed kills."

Jim thought for a moment and then conceded. "Okay, is this thing on? Testing, testing ... you better play it back, make sure it's working. We don't wanna go through all this trouble and then discover, only too late, you missed your only chance."
    The tape was rewound, played, checked out, and rewound again. "Ready, Jim?" "Ready." "Okey, now go." Jim thought for a moment and then began:

- "Hi, you little a$$holes out there listening to the radio instead of doing your homework, This is Jim Morrison of the Doors."

The Do It Now representative stopped the recorder. Jim shot a wink at Denny. "What are you doing?" he asked the rep. "I hadn't finished!" "Please Jim, We can get this whole thing done in just a minute if you'll be straightforward. Remember, this is a public service spot." Jim listened attentively and nodded. "I think I understand. Can I try it again?" The recorder was switched back on to record:

- "Hey, how you guys out there doin'? This is your old buddy Jim Morrison. I sing with a group called the Doors. You might have heard of them. We done a few songs, but I never, never did a song on speed. Drunk? Hell yeahhh ..."

The exasperated rep told Jim, "Please, you must understand what we need. Frank Zappa had fun. You can have fun, too, but you must be serious." Jim seemed to understand. "Okay, got it. Turn the sucker on. We'll get it this time. I promise."

- "Hello, this is Jim Morrison of the Doors, I just want to tell you that shooting speed ain't cool, so snort it."

The recorder was turned off and the representative sat motionless. The room was silent. "Something the matter? Was that alright?" The rep only shook his head. Jim stood up and put a hand on his shoulder. "Hey man, I'm sorry, come on, turn that back on. I'm real sorry, I'll give it to you straight this time. Honest." The rep looked at Jim. "You promise?" Jim was solemn. "I promise". The tape was set and rolling:

- "Hello, this is Jim Morrison. Don't shoot speed. Christ, you guys, smoke pot!".

The rep looked up. "I think we're getting closer, Jim, if you could just change those last few words." "I know exactly what you mean," Jim assured him. "One more time, roll it." This time Jim gave his formal introduction, warned that:

- "Shooting speed isn't that smart. Shooting speed kills geese. If you shoot a goose full of speed that goose is gonna swim in circles forever."

The Do It Now man had lost all patience and was nearly in tears. Jim was begging him. "Come on man, I'm sorry, I was just having fun, we'll get it right this time, I promise." "I don't know Jim" - the rep was shaking his head - "I can't spend all day here." "One last time," Jim insisted. "Okay, but if you don't get it right this time, that's it." "I'm sorry. This will be a take - you know what a take is?" Jim held the microphone carefully before his mouth. He paused and then began:

- "Hello, this is Jim Morrison from the Doors, and I just got one thing to say. Don't shoot speed. Speed kills. Please don't shoot speed. Try downers, yeah downers, barbs, tranqs, reds ... they're much less expensive and ... "

The Do It Now representative finally gave up.

http://scahr.info/culture/morrison.htm

love to find the original tape of this session.
    Last edited by Phinnly Slash Buster; 03-01-2007 at 11:47 PM.