+ Reply to Thread

Bush asks Congress for "line-item veto" power

Whoa there! My my my...I wonder what wonder boy wants to give the axe to? ;) Can we really trust this guy to make these kinds of decisions in light of the record breaking debt he has put us into?

Bush asks Congress for "line-item veto" power

By Caren Bohan

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President George W. Bush, who has never vetoed a spending bill, asked the U.S. Congress on Monday to give him a line-item veto that would allow him to propose canceling specific spending projects.

But Bush's proposal faces hurdles because an earlier version that Congress passed under former President Bill Clinton was rejected by the Supreme Court as unconstitutional.

Bush said the 1998 court decision "should not be the end of the story" and said his proposal was crafted in a way to satisfy the court's concerns.

"By passing this version of the line-item veto, the administration will work with the Congress to reduce wasteful spending, reduce the budget deficit and ensure that taxpayer dollars are spent wisely," he said.

Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, a Tennessee Republican, said he would introduce the legislation.

In striking down the Clinton-era line-item veto by a vote of 6-3, the Supreme Court said Congress was not authorized under the Constitution to hand the president that power.

But White House spokesman Scott McClellan said the Bush proposal would differ from that 1996 law, which allowed the president to pencil out specific spending items only after a bill was passed by Congress.

Under the Bush proposal, the president would identify areas in a spending bill he considered wasteful and then send the package back to Congress. Congress would have 10 days to hold an up or down vote on the package.

Democrats, who have criticized Bush's tax cuts as fiscally reckless, said the line-item veto was not a panacea for record budget deficits.

"The Bush administration has spent us into record deficits and piled mountains of debt onto our children," said House Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi of California. But she added, "Budget experts agree that the line-item veto would do little to control deficits."

However, Democratic Sen. John Kerry of Massachusetts, who ran against Bush in the 2004, supported the line-item veto proposal, which mirrored one Kerry had previously proposed.

"Billions of dollars are being wasted on things like research to enhance the flavor of roasted peanuts and the infamous 'bridge to nowhere,'" Kerry said.

Announcing the line-item veto proposal at a swearing-in ceremony for Ed Lazear, his new chairman of the White House Council of Economic Advisers, Bush said it would allow him to take aim at "special-interest spending."

'BRIDGE TO NOWHERE'

A major congressional lobbying scandal involving Jack Abramoff and the conviction of former California Republican Rep. Randy "Duke" Cunningham on bribery charges have put a spotlight on pet projects that lawmakers often add to bills to please constituents in their home states.

Bush has been criticized by many conservatives for the surge in federal spending on his watch.

One example of a pet project critics often cite was a bridge proposal in Alaska ridiculed as the "Bridge to Nowhere" because it would have served a very small population.

The bridge was part of $287-billion transportation bill that many conservatives had urged Bush to veto. Bush signed the transportation bill and hailed it as a job-creating measure.

Spending on the Alaska bridge was later canceled, but the state received the money anyway in its general transportation funds.

Republicans worry that big deficits could hurt them in this year's midterm election in which Democrats are seeking to regain control of both houses of Congress.

The Bush administration has forecast a fiscal 2007 budget deficit of $439 billion, an all-time high.

(Additional reporting by Matt Spetalnick, Rick Cowan and Vicki Allen)
    Last edited by sojustask; 03-06-2006 at 11:59 PM.

Re: Bush asks Congress for "line-item veto" power

Why would anyone listen to John Kerry? He lied to people while running for president and won`t even let the public see his military records.

Quote Originally Posted by talker1
    Why would anyone listen to John Kerry? He lied to people while running for president and won`t even let the public see his military records.
    LOL, so did Bush.

Thanks for the laugh.

Lady Mod

Was that response for real, or are you just here to attack the President whether it`s true or not? The president authorized the release of all his military documents and Mr. Kerry still refuses to do so. In fact, he has lied to the public on many occasions claiming he did so, when he of course did not.

Quote Originally Posted by talker1
    Was that response for real, or are you just here to attack the President whether it`s true or not? The president authorized the release of all his military documents and Mr. Kerry still refuses to do so. In fact, he has lied to the public on many occasions claiming he did so, when he of course did not.
    Not at all, it's just proven fact that Bush is a liar. And I found your comment very amusing in light of that.

Lady Mod

I personally believe the line-item-veto would be a great tool for a sitting president to cull out some of the heaping piles of dung that congress 'hides' in important bills. Unfortunately, it would most assuredly be used for nefarious purposes regardless of which party a sitting president belongs to. Of course, if we had politicans who actually had some iota of honesty or integrity that tool would be unneccessary. (yes, I know, I dream....I dream...)

Line-item-veto would be very welcomed. It's definitely one quick way to "shake up" the existing system of professional politicians. This should be welcomed by both sides of the aisle. I don't understand anyone not wanting to support this idea. You can't go on-and-on about deficit spending and NOT support this. Food for thought. I think it's a great idea!

:cool:

Quote Originally Posted by Whiplash
    I personally believe the line-item-veto would be a great tool for a sitting president to cull out some of the heaping piles of dung that congress 'hides' in important bills. Unfortunately, it would most assuredly be used for nefarious purposes regardless of which party a sitting president belongs to. Of course, if we had politicans who actually had some iota of honesty or integrity that tool would be unneccessary. (yes, I know, I dream....I dream...)
    That would require the President to actually READ these bills and proposals and many of these are hundreds of pages long. And literally dozens and dozens are proposed to congress every session. Many congressmen don't even have 10 minutes to glance at them before they are required to vote on them.

Who honestly thinks that the President is going to have the time to read all of them? The Pres didn't even have the time to read the Patriot Act before he signed it into law.

A better idea is to do away with all the lobbyists. Run them out of Washington and don't allow them to write any more bills to send to congress.

Lady Mod