+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

captkevman Guest

DIY Code of Ethics?

I've been lurking here for a few months now, and I'm very grateful for all the helpful information that I've gotten here. However, the first thing I noticed was that there were people here doing DIY sites so frequently that it seemed almost abusive. I've done one (EFG) for an iBook, and I spent about $130 all told, and I was happy to to so, since the computer retails for $999. I gave it to my wife for Christmas, and she absolutely loves it -- it's a great tool for her continuing education. I found this place afterward, and I decided that it wouldn't hurt to try another promotion (this time at IOG) for another iBook, this time for my 14-year-old son, who has a 5-year-old iMac that's showing its age. I've also knocked around the idea of getting a nice iPod via DIY, since it would save $$ over buying one outright.

There was a time when I started seeing dollar signs and started to become tempted to try to do a bunch of DIY promotions for all kinds of stuff...but I realized at that point, I was looking at stuff I didn't really need with the intent to resell, and that just struck me as being a bit greedy.

I'm sure the DIY promotion companies aren't hurting too badly (otherwise, they would have folded long ago), but the fact remains that, for those of us who take advantage of these offers, their model is an appealing one.

The point I'm stumbling toward is this: DIY sites can be a great way to get otherwise unaffordable things for people on a limited budget, and that's how I looked at it from the outset. Before my first offer shipped, I was very skeptical, but when the iBook showed up at my doorstep, I was ecstatic...but more importantly, I was very appreciative about the fact that I had gotten such a great deal on such a nice gift for my wife.

When I found scam.com, I was overwhelmed by two things: the helpful nature of the folks here and the information they had to share, and on the opposite end of the spectrum, the amount of multiple offers I saw people doing. Now I'm not here to judge anyone. I know there is the "thrill of the hunt" that goes along with these programs, I know some people are naturally competitive, and there may be some one-upmanship involved. Maybe some folks genuinely need all the stuff they're getting, or maybe they're doing charitable things with them.

But there are probably a bunch here who are simply taking advantage of the system by doing multiple offers and either hording their products or selling them for profit. And that sort of thing is what seems to be ruining these programs for everyone.

So, how can we address this problem? Let's come up with a DIY Code of Ethics that will be fair to the participants, the promo companies, and the advertisers.

This forum is already full of information and advice that could be incorporated into such a CoE...it would just be a matter of
    • Gathering the rules
    • Compiling them into a comprehensive document
    • Determining which leaders in the DIY community will be entrusted with maintaining the CoE
    • Peer enforcement within the DIY community

I don't think any of us wants to see the DIY promo model go away. And I honestly don't think the DIY promo people want to see reasonable, active members of the DIY community go away, either...when we do things fairly, it works out for them and their advertisers.

I think we need to eradicate the "something for nothing" attitude that some folks have and replace it with a "thankful for a great deal" attitude that would be ultimately rewarding for all involved.

There. I've said my piece. I look forward to the discussion that follows...

Re: DIY Code of Ethics?

Quote Originally Posted by captkevman
    I've been lurking here for a few months now, and I'm very grateful for all the helpful information that I've gotten here. However, the first that I had gotten such a great deal on such a nice gift for my wife.

ing them for profit. And that sort of thing is what seems to be ruining these programs for everyone.

So, how can we address this problem? Let's come up with a DIY Code of Ethics that will be fair to the participants, the promo companies, and the advertisers.

This forum is already full of information and advice that could be incorporated into such a CoE...it would just be a matter of
    • Gathering the rules
    • Compiling them into a comprehensive document
    • Determining which leaders in the DIY community will be entrusted with maintaining the CoE
    • Peer enforcement within the DIY community

There. I've said my piece. I look forward to the discussion that follows...
    Excellent post and great idea, but we cant really inforce anything bec we are not the mods here.

What a well worded post! Thing have been getting out of hand lately. Wanting to get a plasma for a 100.00 - 200.00 investment is awesome. Pushing it to getting it for under 1.00 is insane.

If we expect to keep getting from them, we need to think about what they are after from us. We need to give a little, stay past trials and really give these offers a chance. So many of the offers you can do and use for gifts, entertainmentbook, the coffee one, the disny book club and who wouldn't like a subscription to Your Music for a cd each month? and it would only cost you 6.00 a month!

Let's try to put some of our creativity into how we can get items cheaply and help these companies stay in business at the same time. These sites could last for a long time or be gone tomorrow, and it seems that the choice is ours to make.

that's a great post and idea. I've definitley gone from being ecstatic at the great deal I received to seeing $$$. Obviously there's a reason there's a number of these sites are around and sponsors participating in them, but if we set out to only abuse the system, it's going to go up in flames, and nobody wants to see that.

My plan at the outset was to do things I was interested in so I was essentially getting items for free. Then I focused in on doing items for as cheap as possible, cancel everything, return anything that would result in lowering my cost. Since then I've seen tons of sponsors drop out and move to lower levels of sponsorship. Seem offer requirements increase more each passing month for the same items. Now it's hit me that doing this only hurts myself and others looking to do the same. It's great to think you got a $1000 item for $20... but really, is too much to chip in a couple extra dollars so the sponsors feel it's worthwhile to continue their participation, the freebie co's feel it's worthwhile for them to continue to offer the gifts and we all can enjoy this form of marketing for a while longer instead of bringing it all to a crashing halt?

Anyway, I'd definitely be up for what you propose capt.

A very nice conceptual idea -- but what is the point? What would be accomplished?

I guess they are hoping to override human nature. It is a good idea to at least try.
    You have a 14 day trial. On the 10th day your card will be billed and you will be shipped a fresh supply of our wonderful product....

I feel like your Jerry Maguire....

anywho: I agree 100%. On many of my freebie sites I'll at least try the service after the free period. More often than not, I still end up canceling....but I'll at least give the good offers a shot for 1-3 months. I wish these sites were offering more useful services, if they did I'm sure I would keep a ton more. But people get selfish and ruin all the freebies for the rest of us

but what're ya gonna do

I\'m not a ref kid but from everything I\'ve read and searched, the ref crews have always kind of had an unwritten rule to do offers only once. I\'m amazed that so many of them actually stick to that ideal. maybe the DIY community is bound to do the same

This would be as effective as the Emancipation Proclamation -- you know when Abe Lincoln freed the slaves in states that had already left the Union. The only people who will care about this are the people who aren't messing around. And those that mess around won't care about it.

But don't let me tell you how to spend your free time.
    I like stuff.

What are you crazy! :p I have got 5ipod and 2 ibooks. :D I keep for me and sold the rest on ebay.com. It is a good favor for the ebay.com buyer who is to stupid to get it for free like me. :rolleyes: Come on get real. You are talking to nobody and he will not listen!!!!!! :eek:

A Code Of Ethics a a great and noble idea. The sole problem is, once the COE thread is posted, how do we keep it where people can see it? A COE is not something that we would be posting to on a regular basis. Inevitably, it would get lost. This forum is not exclusively for freebie sites, so asking the mods for a sticky might be asking for too much. I would hate for the mods to throw everybody out for being too needy. However, I still like your approach. I think we can either 1) risk asking the mods for a sticky (bad idea) 2) incorporate a COE approach in all of our advice on various threads, 3) Create brand new threads for the major freebie sites, such as YF, Niu Tech, and Metareward and begin each thread with a COE.

As to #2: I think we all know what good ethics would be and could give advice based on those ethics. I am not talking about just our own subjective ethics, as some people are more ethical than others. I am talking about objective ethics in light of the changes recently to the free gift scene. A poster may not feel that doing something is wrong, but by now should at least know what is frowned upon by the promotional companies. Advice should be given based on that objective view.

As to #3: There are way too many threads on each gift site. Even the threads I am familiar with don't seem familiar to me anymore. Even my own first-born RV thread doesn't make much sense anymore. There are people posting in there about Freepay and other irrelevent topics. There are people in there having arguments over what is fraud and stealing and lying and who is at fault and who is not at fault. With the recent change of Metareward's t.erms, much of the info is obsolete anyway. A new thread for each of the three parent freebie sites that begins with the COE might work. Having sites for Yourbestrewards and Rewardsvenue is duplicative. How about one site called "Metareward". After the COE is briefly mentioned at the top of the thread, it can be followed by a brief description of Metareward.

My vote is to do #2. Without creating new threads, we can just provide a COE in all of our advice to newcomers. We can give it to them piecemeal and on an as-needed-basis. Like Tiflyer stated, we can't enforce a COE. Therefore, we may look a little silly coming up with a formal looking COE for all to read. This is just my opinion.

This is a great idea. You know, everyone is sick of reading posts from people who say they've got a life and don't have time to read the long threads. But, I've said this before and I'll say it again: 4,000 posts is hella lot to read. And like you said, Jeannine, most of the info is old and the threads are junked up with flame wars and stupid repeat questions.

I think starting new threads about each site (or company) with new, fresh information is brilliant. And, I don't know who this captkevman is, but his code of ethics idea is genius.

Di

captkevman Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ibedi
    This is a great idea. You know, everyone is sick of reading posts from people who say they've got a life and don't have time to read the long threads. But, I've said this before and I'll say it again: 4,000 posts is hella lot to read. And like you said, Jeannine, most of the info is old and the threads are junked up with flame wars and stupid repeat questions.
    I know there was some discussion a month or so ago about expanding the DIY/Freebie community into an independent forum. At that time, I also found things here very disorganized (I don't think the "Internet Scams" forum was originally intended to be a spawning ground for the DIY community ;) ) and difficult to search. So, I registered and put together in order to try to establish some semblance of order. Unfortunately, the database that forum is using is dog slow, so it's somewhat useless at the moment, but I know TXCBL also started another site called GCAddict.com with sort of the same intent.

Quote Originally Posted by Ibedi
    I think starting new threads about each site (or company) with new, fresh information is brilliant. And, I don't know who this captkevman is, but his code of ethics idea is genius.

Di
    I'm just a guy who was referred to EFG by a coworker, did the promotion, and after I received my iBook, started researching the DIY scene and stumbled across this site. :D

I have a bit of experience managing web-based communities, and I saw this very informative and useful (but very interface-unfriendly) forum, so I thought I'd just contribute my $.02 worth of suggestions.
    Last edited by scambuster; 03-12-2006 at 09:58 PM.

captkevman Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rastacrucian
    What are you crazy! :p I have got 5ipod and 2 ibooks. :D I keep for me and sold the rest on ebay.com. It is a good favor for the ebay.com buyer who is to stupid to get it for free like me. :rolleyes: Come on get real. You are talking to nobody and he will not listen!!!!!! :eek:
    ...and that is exactly the attitude that will kill a good thing for everyone.

As an invitee of GCA I posted here and a few others did too that TX\'s forum never really got off the ground. No one posted and it is basically a ghost town. Great idea, poor execution.

Quote Originally Posted by captkevman
    I know there was some discussion a month or so ago about expanding the DIY/Freebie community into an independent forum. At that time, I also found things here very disorganized (I don\'t think the \"Internet Scams\" forum was originally intended to be a spawning ground for the DIY community ;) ) and difficult to search. So, I registered and put together in order to try to establish some semblance of order. Unfortunately, the database that forum is using is dog slow, so it\'s somewhat useless at the moment, but I know TXCBL also started another site called GCAddict.com with sort of the same intent.

I\'m just a guy who was referred to EFG by a coworker, did the promotion, and after I received my iBook, started researching the DIY scene and stumbled across this site. :D

I have a bit of experience managing web-based communities, and I saw this very informative and useful (but very interface-unfriendly) forum, so I thought I\'d just contribute my $.02 worth of suggestions.
    Last edited by scambuster; 03-12-2006 at 09:59 PM.

GCAddict flamed out -- not enough info flow -- was mostly just people congratuating themselves for being such great freebie getters. Anyone been on tjwor's site? Probably a little less ego there. I want a place that is not full of ELITIST SNOBS, quite frankly.
    I like stuff.