+ Reply to Thread

Too good to be true?

Hi...I am about to purchase a used car that sounds perhaps too good to be true, and am wondering if anyone can give me some input. The car is a 2002 VW Jetta found on cars.com...asking price $4500. Low price seemed a little strange to me, but seller (named Alan Pangborn - alenarpangborn@yahoo.com) explained he moved to UK and needs to sell the car (familiar story?) Here's the ad and a copy of the email:

2002 VOLKSWAGEN JETTA The car is Green and have 24000 miles on it #m103394 $4,500, Power windows/locks/sunroof.Anti Theft and ALARM & REMOTE START system.Anti-Slip Regulation(ASR)with Electronic Differential Lock(EDL) NON SMOKER.Exterior/interior EXTRA CLEAN!!!(LIKE NEW!!!.SYNTHETIC OIL from day1 every 3.000 miles Garage kept NEVER IN THE SNOW!!!Great gas mileage 26city/31HWY ADDED CUSTOM FEATURES: Sport grill,Sport suspension(2''drop made in Germany)Stainless Steel CAT-BACK exhaust system.KENWOOD head unit w/remote control.VIDEO MONITORS in head rests,DVD Player,Wireless Head Phones/custom Glove Box for Playstation II.Two 15'' Subwoofers TITANIUM PHOENIX GOLD, 1.600 WATTS PHOENIX GOLD AMPLIFIER in a custom FIBERGLASS ENCLOSURE painted to match the car. BEAUTIFUL CAR!!!!! 258-258-2587

"Hello,
    Thank you for your interest regarding my car. First of all i wanna tell you some details about the car. The pick up is not available as for the moment I'm not in USA. Right now I am in London, U.K. I've just moved here and I need a new car(a new RHD). I have to sell it in US because don't worth to register the car here because the car is LHD and I have to make a lot a changes to be able to register and drive it here wich will cost me alot of time and money and I decide to sell it back in the States. The car is in perfect condition, with no rust, no damages, never been in accidents. So only the shipping option can be used. The car is presenting in a very good condition, no damage or defects, it looks just the way showed in my pics, it is stored in a shipping garage.I realise that is a cheap price for such a product but my special situation makes me do things that i would't do in normal circumstances and belive me it is not easy at all for me to sell a thing which was one of my dreams during last years. The price I hope to obtain is US$ 4500,the shipping is free. I overlooked the website to see how it can be done securely and I noticed that most sellers accept to close the deal with a company sure and safe.
    I have discussed this matter with my wife and we decided use for this deal AlertPay or Square Trade services. So if you are serious interested please let me know Wayting for your reply. Have a nice day!"

He also says he will ship the car through this website:
    www.european-trans.com
    which curiously doesn't have info about shipping costs, sites, etc.

Anyhow, warning lights are going off after reading some people's horrible experiences - didn't know this was such a common thing. Am I being scammed? Based on someone's advise in the forum, I told the seller that I want the car but want to use www.escrow.com to cover myself, instead of the site he wants, Alert Pay. If he agrees, should I keep going with the transaction, feeling safe that if I use escrow.com that I won't lose my money? I did a carfax report and all the info he provided checked out, but i guess that doesn't mean anything? Help!
    Last edited by argoddess; 03-01-2006 at 09:37 PM.

Re: Too good to be true?

Classic scam, same story about the RHD/LHD problems. Do not waste anymore time with this!

Quote Originally Posted by argoddess
    Hi...I am about to purchase a used car that sounds perhaps too good to be true, and am wondering if anyone can give me some input. The car is a 2002 VW Jetta found on cars.com...asking price $4500.
    Already a scam. why would anyone willing to sell a car for less than half of what its worth?

Low price seemed a little strange to me, but seller (named Alan Pangborn - alenarpangborn@yahoo.com) explained he moved to UK and needs to sell the car (familiar story?) Here's the ad and a copy of the email:
    typical scammer story (move here, can't use it, blah blah blah).

2002 VOLKSWAGEN JETTA The car is Green and have 24000 miles on it #m103394 $4,500, Power windows/locks/sunroof.Anti Theft and ALARM & REMOTE START system.Anti-Slip Regulation(ASR)with Electronic Differential Lock(EDL) NON SMOKER.Exterior/interior EXTRA CLEAN!!!(LIKE NEW!!!.SYNTHETIC OIL from day1 every 3.000 miles Garage kept NEVER IN THE SNOW!!!Great gas mileage 26city/31HWY ADDED CUSTOM FEATURES: Sport grill,Sport suspension(2''drop made in Germany)Stainless Steel CAT-BACK exhaust system.KENWOOD head unit w/remote control.VIDEO MONITORS in head rests,DVD Player,Wireless Head Phones/custom Glove Box for Playstation II.Two 15'' Subwoofers TITANIUM PHOENIX GOLD, 1.600 WATTS PHOENIX GOLD AMPLIFIER in a custom FIBERGLASS ENCLOSURE painted to match the car. BEAUTIFUL CAR!!!!! 258-258-2587

"Hello,
    Thank you for your interest regarding my car. First of all i wanna tell you some details about the car. The pick up is not available as for the moment I'm not in USA. Right now I am in London, U.K. I've just moved here and I need a new car(a new RHD). I have to sell it in US because don't worth to register the car here because the car is LHD and I have to make a lot a changes to be able to register and drive it here wich will cost me alot of time and money and I decide to sell it back in the States. The car is in perfect condition, with no rust, no damages, never been in accidents. So only the shipping option can be used. The car is presenting in a very good condition, no damage or defects, it looks just the way showed in my pics, it is stored in a shipping garage.I realise that is a cheap price for such a product but my special situation makes me do things that i would't do in normal circumstances and belive me it is not easy at all for me to sell a thing which was one of my dreams during last years. The price I hope to obtain is US$ 4500,the shipping is free. I overlooked the website to see how it can be done securely and I noticed that most sellers accept to close the deal with a company sure and safe.
    I have discussed this matter with my wife and we decided use for this deal AlertPay or Square Trade services. So if you are serious interested please let me know Wayting for your reply. Have a nice day!"
    Already a sign of a scam. Square Trade is only for items purchased through ebay.

He also says he will ship the car through this website:
    www.european-trans.com
    which curiously doesn't have info about shipping costs, sites, etc.
    Of course not, its a scam site set up by the scammer
    http://www.whois.sc/european-trans.com

Registered with fake information and using a Privacy company to hide who they really are. Would you deal with someone who has to hide their information on their WHOIS information? It was REGISTEREd in Februrary. Tha'ts a pretty good "shipping" company to be in business for only a week and a half.

Registration is suspended/ and site is defunct now.

Anyhow, warning lights are going off after reading some people's horrible experiences - didn't know this was such a common thing. Am I being scammed? Based on someone's advise in the forum, I told the seller that I want the car but want to use www.escrow.com to cover myself, instead of the site he wants, Alert Pay.
    No, he wil lsend you something that looks like it CAME from Alert Pay when it really hasn't. That's why you initiate your own payment through and escrow service yOU choose, not him.

If he agrees, should I keep going with the transaction, feeling safe that if I use escrow.com that I won't lose my money? I did a carfax report and all the info he provided checked out, but i guess that doesn't mean anything? Help!
    he wont agree. he'll move onto the next victim.

Hi, I have to agree that this seems like a scam . In fact, I'm dealing with a guy that is selling his 2003 Range Rover for mouch lower than the valued price. I decided to research this and cmae across this webpage. It turns out that you nd I recieve the exact same explination on the selling of the car ( interesting huh ) . Also, i have spoken to this guy on the phone and he seems like a legit sale. However, I just can't believe that this is not a scam . Last night I recieved another offer to buy 2003 LRover and this time it was a little different spin. This deal required that I send WorldPay a 2000 dollar deposit and then she would ship me the SUV to home to review for ten days.

These are just too good to be true..... Run away.........!!!!!!!!!!!!

I almost forgot to mention . I too found these SUVs on cars.com

The same thing almost happen to me i found a 2004 Nissian Maxima on Recycler.com and she was selling it for $6,000.00 and she said the same thing that she lived in the UK and that it was to expensive to registar it there and that she had to sell it here in the US. So i asked her to email me her phone number so that i could talk to her in person about the car and i never heard back from her (i wonder why?) she wanted to use WorldPay for the tranaction and i was able to find them on the internet but something about it didnt seem right. This car was almost brand new and it was a beautiful car, so i knew it was "too good to be true" so my advise is DON"T DO IT, you will probably be sorry that you did

Worldpy is a legit credit card merchant. However, you would have received a FAKE email purporting to be from WorldPay saying that you were paid. Again, the sign of a SCAMMER using a real company in hopes to make you believe its legit.

Absolutely a scam. I recently replied to an ad on cars.com for a 2004 Toyota 4Runner for $5200 - suspiciously cheap, but perhaps there was a reason. (Messy divorces come to mind.) The email I got back was almost verbatim your response: (from "s o", satrefedolites32@hotmail.com)

Hello,

Thank you for your interest regarding my car. First of all i wanna tell you some details about the car. The pick up is not available as for the moment I'm not in USA. Right now I am in London, U.K. I am trying to make a new life in here cause my wife wants to be closer to her family. So only the shipping option can be used. The car is presenting in a very good condition, no damage or defects, it looks just the way showed in my pics, it is stored in a shipping garage. NON SMOKER!. I realise that is a cheap price for such a product but my special situation makes me do things that i would't do in normal circumstances and belive me it is not easy at all for me to sell a thing which was one of my dreams during last years. The price I hope to obtain is US$5200, the shipping is free.
    I overlooked the website to see how it can be done securely and I noticed
    that most sellers to close the deal with a third party.I have to decide to use for third party Safepay Solutions.The down payment will be done via secure pay which means that the third party will keep the money until you receive and inspect the car. You have 10 days to inspect the car.

Waiting for your reply !

Thank you and have a nice day

trust me, in messy divorces, the car must be sold for fair market value. because the 'proceeds' would be split to whatever terms are in the divorce settlement. both parties would have a say in how much the car would sell for.

Before you purchase that car, please read this.

I have a similar situation:

This 1998 Toyota Supra worth $22,000 is going for $4,800 on Yahoo: http://autos.yahoo.com/usedcars/deta...5029110-102192

And here's the email I received:

Hello,
    First thank you for your email regarding my car.The car is in a perfect condition, the mileage is accurate, no scratches, no damages, no hidden defects.Kept it in a warm garage. My company has relations in the States and I worked there for 2 years. I had the oportunity to buy it from there and bring it with me when I came back.The car was bought from US, so it is US standards,so stay cool it´s perfect compatibile to your standards and you will don´t have to pay more duty taxes on it. And this is an impediment for me to sell it here cause,first, we have different standards and second will be very expensive for me to register it here.I have to pay an very expensive duty taxes.The price for this car is $4,800.00 USD. The car it is still registered in the States.What other info would you like on it? It will be shipped from United Kingdom and i will pay the shipping and insurance charges.I will do the arrangements for shipping from here.
    The payment will be done via secure pay which means that the third party will keep the money until you receive and inspect the car. You have 10 days to inspect the car. I will wait for your email to let me know if you are interested in knowing more details about the purchase.
    Best Regards,
    Robert

I was so excited that I was going to go out an get a loan for $5,000 before even contacting this guy! :eek:

lesee:
    1) working with a "relation" (partner) who actually owns the car
    2) he says its a US registered car but its going to be shipped from the UK
    3) 18,000 under blue book value
    4) he's going to make the arrangements fro shipping
    5) must reply in 10 days
    6) secure pay -0 you will get a fake email looking like its from them

nope tis scam

I got burned from the same guy last year. He was in London, car was in Minneapolis, sitting at shipping company, blah, blah...
    I should've known by his ****ty English skills. He was likely Eastern European.
    The car was going for $3000 and I put my better judgement on hold while I hurried to accomodate him. The shipping company had a website and I was given a tracking number. It looked quite legitimate.
    I was a trusting person. I wired him half the amount with the hopes of paying the remainder upon delivery - as he asked.
    When I returned home - just hours after sending the money - I did a BBB search of the shipping company. I continued to get no listing in the Minneapolis-st. Paul area. Then, by mistake, I entered the company name ending with a .com instead of a .net. The com was a legitimate business based out of New Jersey.
    I immediately wrote him and told him he was quite clever, if not sinister. I knew my money was gone. I didn't bother to ask for it back.
    I'm not so trusting anymore. In fact, I'm wary of most deals now.
    My lesson: Don't get caught up in the rush of a deal too good to be true. It most likely is NOT.