+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Do you think you are a professional canceller?

I have signed up and cancelled many services throughout this whole process, and I'm starting to obtain techniques and skills to easily cancel my service. The first time I had to cancel AOL it took me like 5 phone calls before they finally let me cancel- I think I was being a bit too soft on them...I eventually figured out that I have to be aggressive and keep reminding them the reason I'm calling...now when they ask what the "reason for cancelling" is, I just say "personal reasons" and leave it at that- because I know if I give them any more info they are just going to coax me into getting the service for 3 more months.

Does anyone have special strategies or stories that go along with cancelling these services? I'd like to know.

Re: Do you think you are a professional canceller?

I remain firm but polite. When they ask if I want some other deal, I keep saying "No, thanks. I'm not interested". I say that no matter what they try.

AOL cancellation screwed me over. I thought all you need to do was answer the question the automated system tell you. After that system they tell me to hold for "Cancellation Question" The system told me my cancellation was all set too. Little did I know after the free trial I was billed and then later found out I haven't canncelled my account yet... so be aware. This encounter certainly made me more comptent.

Ya I believe in answering polite manner. IF you offend them next thing you know they say they'll cancel you account but they don't >

I find that singing "The Cancellation Blues" -- a little song I wrote -- to the most zealous customer service people usually does the trick. If it doesn't, I'll sing it again in a different genre. I start out in Blues, then Country, and then Rock. I haven't had to do the cancellation rap yet, so you can all be thankful.

"Lordy, Lordy, Lordy, I've got the cancellation blues
    It hurts so deep down inside that I've got to cancel this trial
    But, baby, if you think you gonna hit me with that automatic shipment
    well, you're living in a world of denial."

Quote Originally Posted by proclamation
    I find that singing "The Cancellation Blues" -- a little song I wrote -- to the most zealous customer service people usually does the trick. If it doesn't, I'll sing it again in a different genre. I start out in Blues, then Country, and then Rock. I haven't had to do the cancellation rap yet, so you can all be thankful.

"Lordy, Lordy, Lordy, I've got the cancellation blues
    It hurts so deep down inside that I've got to cancel this trial
    But, baby, if you think you gonna hit me with that automatic shipment
    well, you're living in a world of denial."
    LOL!!!!!!!!!! Thank you I needed to laugh hysterically today!

Are you serious?

If its something to do with computers - Real Rhapsody, AOL, Earthlink, etc. - I usually say my computer got fried in a thunder storm and that gets them off your back right away.

ooo that's a very clever one. *adds to repitoir

I should start coming up with more creative ones like "my pet gorilla completely destroyed my toughbook...he got let loose and just had at it" and see what they say...

I just go with the truth (sort of).

If it's AOL, "Well, I subscribed a faster connection."

For Dealpass I've used, "Well, I wanted to see what kind of services you offered. Upon checking, it doesn't seem as if they'll really be right for me."

For Rhapsody I've done, "A friend recommended it to me, so I signed up. Doesn't look like I'll actually be using it, however."

$100 Gas card - Your Gift Cards - 1/1 Recieved (Visa) - 07-24-06
    $50 Gift Card - The Useful - 1/1 Recieved ($75) - 03-27-06
    $50 Walmart Gift Card - 50DollarGiftCard - 1/1 Recieved - 04-03-06
    Xbox 360 - Gadget City - 4/4 Received ($300 gift card) - 05-01-06
    42" Plasma - Every Free Gift - 6/6 Recieved ($1000 check) - 07-06-06
    TIVO+Samsung 30" HDTV - Must Have Free Gifts - 3/3 Recieved ($950 check) - 12-08-06

Cheap Lunch Total: $2475

I usually tell them that "I just got shot" and hence I can't continue with the offer.

:) ok, not really...

Quote Originally Posted by carbon6
    I have signed up and cancelled many services throughout this whole process, and I'm starting to obtain techniques and skills to easily cancel my service. The first time I had to cancel AOL it took me like 5 phone calls before they finally let me cancel- I think I was being a bit too soft on them...I eventually figured out that I have to be aggressive and keep reminding them the reason I'm calling...now when they ask what the "reason for cancelling" is, I just say "personal reasons" and leave it at that- because I know if I give them any more info they are just going to coax me into getting the service for 3 more months.

Does anyone have special strategies or stories that go along with cancelling these services? I'd like to know.
    Tell them you're in the Navy (Army, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard) and you are getting deployed for a long time. This is true in my case, but if it means a company will let you cancel a service you no longer want, then I wouldn't mind someone lying (if you aren't in those services). It always works for me, but like I said, its the truth. They always wish me good luck, god bless, etc.
    Last edited by USNavySubSailor; 03-01-2006 at 09:14 AM.

I was telling them that I'd just been informed that I was losing my job, and I needed to reign in my expenses....this always resulted in short conversations, and wishes for good luck. ;) It was actually true though, I WAS losing my job....I just failed to mention that I already had another one lined up resulting in a 30% raise :D

Haha good responses, I'll have to refer back to this when I need to cancel something for next time! I always some how end up having my trial extended for another 60 days..

I just called Netmarket to cancel... but they offered me another 30 days and another mp3 player.

I said heck, why not.

$100 Gas card - Your Gift Cards - 1/1 Recieved (Visa) - 07-24-06
    $50 Gift Card - The Useful - 1/1 Recieved ($75) - 03-27-06
    $50 Walmart Gift Card - 50DollarGiftCard - 1/1 Recieved - 04-03-06
    Xbox 360 - Gadget City - 4/4 Received ($300 gift card) - 05-01-06
    42" Plasma - Every Free Gift - 6/6 Recieved ($1000 check) - 07-06-06
    TIVO+Samsung 30" HDTV - Must Have Free Gifts - 3/3 Recieved ($950 check) - 12-08-06

Cheap Lunch Total: $2475

So none of you actually keep the services (like AOL and stuff) for more than just the trial?

I try to not get into the auot ship things but I always keep the services for like a month. If they lose money and then leave whose gonna pay for our gifts?

Just wondering if I'm the only one that keeps the stuff.