+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 23 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Almeria International Organization

Other title: Almeria Charity Foundation. Has anyone ever heard of or been contacted by them? They list their address as: 3430 BD Nieuwegein, The Netherlands. They list their phone # as: 3402-67679, and their fax # as: 3402-67221. They have a website at www.almeriahome.org, and they used careerbuilder.com to contact me via e-mail about a potential Donation collector/Cashing courier job opportunity. Are they legit or a scam? Any information you can give me would be very much appreciated.
    Last edited by aicila; 09-06-2005 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Added additional information

Re: Almeria International Organization

aicila;
    Scam.
    No legitimate business or organization will Ever cold-call an unlicensed, unregistered, unbonded, private citizen for employment in Any financial capacity of any sort, ever.

Whois for almeriahome.org gives registrant Carmela Barabba, in the city of Almeria, Gelderland, Netherlands. Site created 7-16-05.
    Website is very nice, professional in layout. Claim is made that charity has been in business 25 years. No google history. No link sites. No Alexa traffic.Neither CharityNavigator nor BBB Give.org have any history for this "international" charity.
    Would someone who speaks Dutch care to investigate this matter further?

Hi Dr. Poormouth

I live in the netherlands and my native language is dutch. i also know Nieuwegein but i do not recornice the picture shown on the website.

I really havent any knowlegde of investigating potential scams, but i was quite surprised to see the adress on this forum.

so, if you can tell me how i should investigate this charity, help me out a little bid i will do what i can.

How y'all are, homeworker, and thank you for the assistance.
    Tax status: Charities and non-profits are either tax-exempt, or have a special tax rate; would you check with your national government tax agency, and see if there is a listing for Almeira?

Consumer advocates: The two websites referenced in my previous post concentrate on US based charities. CharityWatch is solely a resource for donors seeking an appropriate charity, while Give.org is a service of the american Better Business Bureau. I suspect that the most complete information on Almeira will come from similar groups in the Netherlands.

I just supposedly got into doing the Almeria donations processing. They contacted me 3 weeks ago, and I went to the Better Business Bureau and they had no information, I went to the Almeria web-site, nice web-site. Had people look over all the information, including the contract I signed. Everything appeared legit. Last week I got a check for $7500.00 to deposit into my account, so I did. about $600.00 was for me for working for them, the rest I was to Western Union around the US to 2 families getting the donations. I deposited the check on Friday, Monday the Check Fraud Department of Bank Of America called me (at work) and told me the Cashier's Check (that the bank looked at and said was good) was counterfeit. Thank God I have never deposited counterfeit checks before and that I was a long term good standing customer of theirs. She told me if they had had problems with my account in the past, I could have been prosecuted. The charge? Felony Counterfeiting. Thank God, I also kept every email ever made between myself and Michael Bernard, I also put everything on a floppy disk. I am going to try and talk with the bank again, to see what I can do about this company. I wasn't trying to get rich quick, just to have some supplemental income. I did what I could, does anyone have advice on what I can do now, so someone else does not go thru what I have been thru. Also, does anyone know if they can get to my checking account now that their check has been deposited (it is still pending-they will completely take it out on friday)?

This is the patria scam reborn - I advise you to run away fast. Read the Patria thread and witness the harm done to individuals as reported there.

This website is identical to the patria website - all they have done is change the name.

Also, does anyone know if they can get to my checking account now that their check has been deposited (it is still pending-they will completely take it out on friday)?
    If they have the account information such that they can deposit into your account, they can also make demand drafts against your account. I am not a bank official nor am I in any way affiliated with the banking industry, so recognize that this is just personal advice, but I suggest you close the account and change it to a new one so they do not have your account number.

I have checked out the Patria scam, and it seems the same as Almeria. It really is sad, that these companies are out to scan innocent people. That innocent people are getting in trouble because of jerks that do these counterfiet organizations. We should be able to do something about it, I called the Fraud Department at my bank, and they said there was nothing that I can do. By the time anyone was to get to these companies, they would be gone. I checked the Patria website, and it is gone. Almeria has not been around long, and I am sure, it to will fade in the wind like Patria. I wonder if a bunch of people got together, if we could do anything about fraud. Anyone got any ideas or suggestions? This stuff really upsets me, I hope being a naive person, I still think there is alot of good people out there. I am just sick and tired of being approached by jerks. Also, wanted to let you know, that I am one of the lucky ones, I did not give anyone from Almeria any type of banking information of mine (I did do one thing smart).
    :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
    Last edited by tabcrutch; 09-14-2005 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Needed to add more

It is a scam alright that cost me $2600.
    I don't have much info saved, but if there is anything I can do to help track them down I would be glad to. It seems their website has already disappeared from what I can tell.

I live in Jacksonville Florida and got scammed by this one, same guy and everything. If there is some way we can compare experiences and maybe try to contact law enforcement for them to investigate that would be great.

Aah! This is the same scam as Adelia Internationational http://adelihome.org/ .
    See also thread http://www.scam.com/showthread.php?t=5752

Looks to me like a Nigerian scam, run from the Netherlands using German registrar and Chzech hosting for their sites. All their data are bogus, chances for arresting the criminals and recovery of losses are minimal.

I was also contacted by Almeria about 3 weeks ago. The initial email came from CareerBuilder.com so I decided to check it out. After reading it, I expressed interest in the position as a Independent Contractor who would process donations by cashing checks, keeping 7% of the sum of the check, and then sending the remainder of the check through Western Union to different needy families. It really seemed legit because they sent me a contract and also had a very nice website. I received my first check about 3 days later sent certified mail. I cashed the $7,500.00 check the day after I got into my 1 day old checking account that I had just opened. The check was placed on hold because it was over $5,000.00 as well as because my account was less than 30 days old. I didn't think much of it until 5 days later the check showed up on my account as being "returned", about a week later my bank calls me and tells me that the check was COUNTERFEIT and I now owe $7500.00. I communicated with the guy who contacted me about the position almost on a daily basis, and from the start I expressed some doubt, yet he reassured me and told me there was nothing illegal going on and that in the event of a bad check I would be reimbursed. I have been contacted in the past about these "check cashing" positions, yet never responded to any of them until now, and boy do I regret it. I think CareerBuilder.com should really investigate these companies sending innocent people these scam job positions.

Almeria's website is still up, they have just dropped the "a" and it is now just Almeri...check www.almerihome.org. Beware of any emails from CareerBuilder.com mentioning a "part time proposal" to "take care of regional donations" from Almeria, Almeri, or any emails from michael.bernard@almeriahome.org, or michael.bernard@almerihome.org. Also beware of other companies such as Void Computers, Inc., Audit Market, Inc, and Techstar Labs. They also try to get you to process funds through your bank and Western Union and are all the same companies with the same names and websites and they all try to contact people through job websites, i.e. CareerBuilder.com. They will most likely change their names as well as the website so just beware of any emails looking for individuals to cash checks for them or asking for your personal and bank information.
    Last edited by CandyRain; 09-23-2005 at 05:02 PM.

I was also approached by Almeria International Organization. After frequent contact, I thought the offer to be a donations processor was legit. After doing extensive search regarding company, and not finding anything except for the website, I came upon this discussion forum. I too was taken in, and realized almost too late. In other words, I deposited the $7500.00 check into my account this morning;just this morning I discovered this forum. Before the bank closed today, I was able to cancel that deposit. On Monday, I am going to call the American First National Bank and give them the checks number and have them check if this is really counterfeit. If it is, I am going to report this to the police, call the BBB and see if they note this company as being a scam, and possibly advertise this on their website. I am just glad that it did not go as far as it could have. I am happy to know that theyre are people such as you willing to share your unfortunate experience to warn others.

I too was contacted through careerbuilder. Was given the same counterfeit check in the amount of 7500. Now i owe the bank a return fee in the amount of ten dollars. I too noticed their website is still up at almerihome.org. Cannot reach michael bernard. His email address seems unreachable. :confused: