+ Reply to Thread

used car veteran offers advice

undefined[COLOR=Wheat]undefined[/COLOR

Hi everybody! Just joined today and thought I'd post my offer to anyone having problems after purchasing a used car. I am currently a used car manager and have been doing this for 25 years. I've read some of the problems folks have had, and can offer sound advice on what to do if you are having a problem with a car you've purchased, primarily from a dealer. I can give you advice on buying a used car, what to look for, how to inspect the car, and basically how to get a fair price without spending all day doing it!
    Let me know how I can help!

Re: used car veteran offers advice

Please.

I'm driving over to Germany to check out a US import used car. I would really appreciate some advice on what to check and how. The car is offered by a dealer (which I checked out), apparently it's a company which brings used cars from the west into Russia and Eastern Europe.

Because of that - I ran a check of the company and the individuals to a detailed level (up to tracing pictures of the street they are located on, finding out other similar companies on the same street, and matching phone numbers to address and to employees names.....)

Not to even mentioned that they never offered to ship the car, we made an appointment that I would come to Germany to meet them and test-drive the car - only then will I make a decision on purchase.

Now - unfortunately I'm not a car mechanic, what on earth am I to check under the hood ? and paper-wise ?

Also - what is the common procedure if I decide to buy the car ? I don't want to carry loads of cash on me when I'm traveling by yself into a foreign country at 550 km. Can I do it by a cassier's check ? or how else ? and when do I give them the check ? after they hand over the title with my name on it ?????

Please let me know - I'm appreciate it :)

Why in the world are you going to travel to Germany to buy a car? And any company that would be unwilling to ship to you after proper payment is one to beware of!!! I ship cars all over the US, and I have arrangements to ship overseas if necessary, so I know it can be done! Another thing, you say they import cars from the west to sell in Europe and Russia, how do you know these arent just wrecks they rebuild, and without any US laws to hinder them from just retitiling these so the title won't show as a SALVAGE unit? Also, unless this is an extremely rare car, consider the expense of travel to Germany (unless you are going there on vacation already) plus dealing in unfamiliar surroundings, with no access to a proper mechanic to check the vehicle out just sounds like an invitation to disaster! If you insist on the travel, I would go to the local police station and check these guys out before even meeting them. See if there are any complaints or problems charged against them. I spend several years in the service in Germany and know that the polezei are very efficient and helpful. Remember the old adage, if it sounds too good to be true, it almost ALWAYS is!

Hi Magicvic,

I'm going to see this car in Germany because the Dutch government does not allow most import-vehicles (any import company here works through Belgium and Germany). This car has an automatic gear-shift, which is a model (of this sopecific type) not available in Europe....

The car has German license plate but of course I need to know what to check under the hood..... maybe after the licensing they could have even replaced the whole engine with something else ????

What is the best way to check ? what should I look for ? the company I don't know really - I'm quite sure they're not scammers, I asked them not to ship - I said if I buy the car I'd take care of it myself....

But if I buy a car without a guarantee even closer to home - I have to be able to know I'm not buying a Toyota with the engine of Peugeot..... :confused:

What should I look for under the hood ? :eek: