Reply to Thread

Post a reply to the thread: Getting to know eachother

Your Message

Click here to log in

 

Additional Options

  • Will turn www.example.com into [URL]http://www.example.com[/URL].

HTML
Rate Thread

You may rate this thread from 1-star (Terrible) to 5-stars (Excellent) if you wish to do so.

Topic Review (Newest First)

  • 01-23-2010, 06:01 PM
    BorisZ

    Re: Evidence for Evolution

    Quote Originally Posted by PattyK View Post
    What is your point?
    We have few scientifically uneducated members of the forum who do not believe in evolution and constantly starting threads with the same "questions". So this is thread is for them.
  • 01-23-2010, 05:57 PM
    PattyK

    Re: Evidence for Evolution

    What is your point?
  • 01-18-2010, 05:48 PM
    SubJunk

    Evidence for Evolution

    In this thread I will post evidence for evolution for the purpose of debate. I will also sometimes put the evidence in the context of existing debates, such as those given by "creationists".
    Please keep it orderly and address points directly.

    I will start with the the ever-popular irreducible complexity argument. This point asserts that there are some things that are simply too complex and specialised to have evolved. A popular example given is the human eye. It is asserted that there is no use for just half an eye or a quarter of an eye; it's too complex.

    I submit this video and this video as evidence that partial eyes can be very useful. In these videos from 1991 you see Richard Dawkins (and please ignore whatever personal feelings you have about him, it could be anyone talking and it would make no difference to the evidence) and his team building an eye in stages and demonstrating its use at each stage.

    If this point is ever refuted scientifically I will add more evidence and I will continue until either there is a point made that can't be refuted in any scientific manner, or I have no more points, thus proving evolution to be false.
  • 12-02-2006, 01:36 PM
    lexx

    Re: The Heim-Drscher theory

    mathematics was never my strong point!?but then i never really tried higher math!?but i can verify that the 12 dimensions may reference the 12 tones in the musical scale!?and as we all well know the relationship between music and atmosphere or perception/mood!?.........just delving in the relativity well as usual!?hehe!!......just askin
  • 11-28-2006, 05:42 AM
    SubJunk

    Re: The Heim-Drscher theory

    Quote Originally Posted by kazza
    Ok, I'm going to dive in, wish me luck.
    Good luck! I'm going through it now too, working at the same time though so it's going slowly
  • 11-28-2006, 05:35 AM
    kazza

    Re: The Heim-Drscher theory

    Quote Originally Posted by SubJunk
    Ok, I'm going to dive in, wish me luck.
  • 11-27-2006, 04:24 PM
    Lord_jag

    Re: The Heim-Drscher theory

    Quote Originally Posted by SubJunk
    Yeah it's pretty full on stuff you're right, but it's cool and worth the time I think. Aegist? Kazza? Any takers?
    I probed this as far as I could with my limmited calculus. I was very good at at what little calculus I did take, but I didn't take it very far.

    It seems to be feasable, but I feel like they are missing something. I can't place my finger on it.

    I think it is very important for us to try this experiment. The first artical states that we would need a ring several meters in diameter, but we all know the laws of physics are scaleable. (Gravity is about half when the mass is half)

    We have many new types of superconductors that weren't available when this was written. I say we take a whack of this superconducting wire and run it to failure. At some point you should notice some change in the gravitational field if this theory has any merrit.

    Remember that this is all about making massing magnetic fields - not pushing large amounts of current, so you could use many thousand wraps of superconducting wire and push a little current though it.

    Somehow I don't think this will work though.
  • 11-27-2006, 12:04 AM
    SubJunk

    Re: The Heim-Drscher theory

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Angel
    selector calculus...heavy stuff, subbie.
    Yeah it's pretty full on stuff you're right, but it's cool and worth the time I think. Aegist? Kazza? Any takers?
  • 11-26-2006, 04:16 PM
    Johnny Angel

    Re: The Heim-Drscher theory

    selector calculus...heavy stuff, subbie.
  • 11-26-2006, 05:05 AM
    SubJunk

    Re: The Heim-Drscher theory

    Oh here's the motherload:
    http://www.1000planets.com/papers/hq...icsaip2005.pdf
  • 11-26-2006, 04:48 AM
    SubJunk

    The Heim-Drscher theory

    Has anyone here researched this? I'm reading about it now, here are some links. I'd be interested in having conversations about it.

    New Scientist article:
    http://www.newscientist.com/channel/...25331.200.html

    And here's a page with lots of pdf files on it:
    http://www.hpcc-space.com/publications/index.html

    And another:
    http://www.heim-theory.com/Contents/...s_mass-fo.html

    Pravda article:
    http://english.pravda.ru/science/tec...2-2006/76045-0

    Wiki:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heim_Theory
  • 10-11-2006, 04:19 PM
    jon8105

    Re: Cool webpage about E=mc^2

    That is a good basic description of the formula. I like how they tie it in with Nuclear Fusion and Nuclear Fission!!
  • 10-11-2006, 03:35 AM
    Lord_jag

    Re: Cool webpage about E=mc^2

    Quote Originally Posted by SubJunk
    Nope I didn't, any good?

    Yeah it was. quite enlightening.

    I can't remember if it was the same one, but I think they even got into how it was proven years later by a female scientist living inside nazi germany as they were trying to discover atomic fission.

    I also saw a movie this weekend called quote "What the bleep do we know?"
    It shows how quantum physics is related to how we percieve the world around us.
  • 10-10-2006, 02:23 PM
    kazza

    Re: The Asu People

    Quote Originally Posted by SubJunk
    Who wrote this one?
    I'm not sure, the source I got it from just said anonymous.
  • 10-09-2006, 11:07 PM
    SubJunk

    Re: The Asu People

    Quote Originally Posted by kazza
    If you didn't get SJ's one don't read this. It's slightly more obvious.



    An Indian anthropologist, Chandra Thapar, made a study of foreign culture which had customs similar to those of his native land. One culture in particular fascinated him because it reveres one animal as sacred, much as the people in India revere the cow.
    The tribe Dr. Thapar studied is called the Asu and is found on the American continent north of the Tarahumara of Mexico. Though it seems to be a highly developed society of its type, it has an overwhelming preoccupation with the care and feeding of the rac -- an animal much like a bull in size, strength and temperament. In the Asu tribe, it is almost a social obligation to own at least one if not more racs. Anyone not possessing at least one is held in low esteem by the community because he is too poor to maintain one of these beasts properly. Some members of the tribe, to display their wealth and social prestige, even own herds of racs.
    Unfortunately the rac breed is not very healthy and usually does not live more than five to seven years, for it has a tendency to throw its shoes often. There are rac specialists in each community, perhaps more than one if the community is particularly wealthy. These specialists however, due to the long period of ritual training they must undergo and to the difficulty of obtaining the right selection of charms to treat the rac, demand costly offerings whenever a tribesman must treat his ailing rac.
    At the age of sixteen in many Asu communities, many youths undergo a puberty rite in which the rac figures prominently. The youth must petition a high priest in a grand temple. He is then initiated into the ceremonies that surround the care of the rac and is permitted to keep a rac.
    Although the rac may be used as a beast of burden, it has many habits which would be considered by other cultures as harmful to the life of the society. In the first place the rac breed is increasing at a very rapid rate and the Asu tribesmen have given no thought to limiting the rac population. As a consequence the Asu must build more and more paths for the rac to travel on since its delicate health and its love of racing other racs at high speeds necessitates that special areas be set aside for its use. The cost of smoothing the earth is too costly for any one individual to undertake; so it has become a community project and each tribesman must pay an annual tax to build new paths and maintain the old. There are so many paths needed that some people move their homes because the rac paths must be as straight as possible to keep the animal from injuring itself. Dr. Thapar also noted that unlike the cow, which many people in his country hold sacred, the excrement of the rac cannot be used as either fuel or fertilizer. On the contrary, its excrement is exceptionally foul and totally useless. Worst of all, the rac is prone to stampedes in which it runs down anything in its path, much like stampeding cattle. Estimates are that the rac kills thousands of the Asu in a year.
    Despite the high cost of its upkeep, the damage it does to the land, and its habit of destructive stampedes, the Asu still regard it as being essential to the survival of their culture.
    Who wrote this one?
  • 10-09-2006, 11:06 PM
    SubJunk

    Re: Body ritual among the Nacirema

    Hehe that's a good one Kazza. It's so amazing what a difference it can make to just say "found on the American continent north of the Tarahumara of Mexico" or "between the Canadian Cree, the Yaqui and Tarahumare of Mexico, and the Carib and Arawak of the Antilles" instead of the actual location, it immediately switches the "these people are a small obscure tribe" switch in people's minds.

    Incoming, what's Nacirema spelled backwards? Also, Asu and Rac :)
This thread has more than 16 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
  •