report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER  

Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Internet Scams
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2006, 02:21 PM
Silver Member

Re: Free Plasma is a MONITOR not TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by carscheles
I just wrote this email to them and will keep everyone posted on the results:

I'm a member of a message board where we discuss reward sites. Quite a few of us have signed up for your Sony Plasma TV as our Reward.

From your website, this is the gift description:
Sony Plasma TV
Next Generation Sony Technology
Superb color realism and exceptional contrast
Built-in stereo theater speakers

There have been some members that have received a TV that wasn't actually a TV. They said it didn't come with a tuner. And they also said that there aren't any "built-in stereo speakers".

We are all very concerned that we may not get the gift we signed up for either. Most of us need/would like a tuner - that's what makes this a TV (not a monitor). And most of us would like the stereo speakers that were promised.

I'm sort of an "unofficial" spokesperson for the group and we're all anxiously awaiting your reply.

Thank you so very much for your help.
Thanks for taking the time to do that for all of us. It's greatly appreciated and I'll eagerly await to hear if they do something about this issue.

Old 01-24-2006, 02:24 PM
Silver Member

you probably wont get a response back from them through email...not because they wont respond but it will probably get blocked before you see it. it could get through though if they send it through the approval link email. hope it works out for you though

Old 01-24-2006, 03:41 PM
Silver Member

I know your heart is in the right place but I kind of take offense that you wrote to them claiming to be a "spokesperson" for this board and that you are claiming to represent us here. I think it's been made pretty clear by a lot of people here that we have NO problem receivng what they are sending. I know I've made that pretty clear in my posts.

I just can't believe people are fighting them on something that is CLEARLY spelled out in their t.erms. That they can substitute anything they want. Have you ever taken the time to read the small print in ANY ad? Check out that Best Buy circular or Sears ad advertising their merchandise; ever buy a car for "NO MONEY DOWN! ONLY $199 A MONTH!" In the end, was it ever really "no money down?" NO! You had to pay the taxes at the very least so there goes that NO MONEY DOWN theory. Read the fine print, there are always t.erms and conditions; would you fight a car dealer or Best Buy on their t.erms as they are explicitly written????? I'm baffled.

Any retailer covers their as* by having a disclaimer and this substitution disclaimer by these marketing companies does just that - covers their as* and gives them the right to substitute items as they see fit.

I've been in marketing for over 10 years and substitution disclaimers are standard fare for any marketing campaign.

I don't know man, I guess I'm just an old man (at 36) and have seen a lot of s**t and been through a lot in my time to realize there are some things you don't rock the boat on and getting a $1500 monitor for $35 would fall into that category in my eyes. Why risk pissing them off and taking the chance that they might tell you "too bad, now you'll get nothing."

If we follow the thinking of all the people who have a problem with them saying it's a TV when it's actually a monitor, than you should also have a problem with the initial "free" sites in the first place. Don't they suck you in by saying "Hey get this FREE iPod/Plasma/$1500/etc.?" But then you read the "fine print" and see it's not really free at all; you have to agree to THEIR T.ERMS and buy certain things from their offering partners. So why are we ok with their t.erms in the beginning when it comes to how to get the free item, yet we don't care about their t.erms when it comes to the actual delivery of the product and what they can substitute??

Quote:
I just wrote this email to them and will keep everyone posted on the results:

I'm a member of a message board where we discuss reward sites. Quite a few of us have signed up for your Sony Plasma TV as our Reward.

From your website, this is the gift description:
Sony Plasma TV
Next Generation Sony Technology
Superb color realism and exceptional contrast
Built-in stereo theater speakers

There have been some members that have received a TV that wasn't actually a TV. They said it didn't come with a tuner. And they also said that there aren't any "built-in stereo speakers".

We are all very concerned that we may not get the gift we signed up for either. Most of us need/would like a tuner - that's what makes this a TV (not a monitor). And most of us would like the stereo speakers that were promised.

I'm sort of an "unofficial" spokesperson for the group and we're all anxiously awaiting your reply.

Thank you so very much for your help.

Old 01-24-2006, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fano3
I know your heart is in the right place but I kind of take offense that you wrote to them claiming to be a "spokesperson" for this board and that you are claiming to represent us here. I think it's been made pretty clear by a lot of people here that we have NO problem receivng what they are sending. I know I've made that pretty clear in my posts.

I just can't believe people are fighting them on something that is CLEARLY spelled out in their t.erms. That they can substitute anything they want. Have you ever taken the time to read the small print in ANY ad? Check out that Best Buy circular or Sears ad advertising their merchandise; ever buy a car for "NO MONEY DOWN! ONLY $199 A MONTH!" In the end, was it ever really "no money down?" NO! You had to pay the taxes at the very least so there goes that NO MONEY DOWN theory. Read the fine print, there are always t.erms and conditions; would you fight a car dealer or Best Buy on their t.erms as they are explicitly written????? I'm baffled.

Any retailer covers their as* by having a disclaimer and this substitution disclaimer by these marketing companies does just that - covers their as* and gives them the right to substitute items as they see fit.

I've been in marketing for over 10 years and substitution disclaimers are standard fare for any marketing campaign.

I don't know man, I guess I'm just an old man (at 36) and have seen a lot of s**t and been through a lot in my time to realize there are some things you don't rock the boat on and getting a $1500 monitor for $35 would fall into that category in my eyes. Why risk pissing them off and taking the chance that they might tell you "too bad, now you'll get nothing."

If we follow the thinking of all the people who have a problem with them saying it's a TV when it's actually a monitor, than you should also have a problem with the initial "free" sites in the first place. Don't they suck you in by saying "Hey get this FREE iPod/Plasma/$1500/etc.?" But then you read the "fine print" and see it's not really free at all; you have to agree to THEIR T.ERMS and buy certain things from their offering partners. So why are we ok with their t.erms in the beginning when it comes to how to get the free item, yet we don't care about their t.erms when it comes to the actual delivery of the product and what they can substitute??
I agree. I am not going to be happy if they decide to stop sending the Sony Displays and substitute some crap like this just to satisfy all of the complainers here.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...1526&CatId=387

Old 01-24-2006, 05:13 PM
Silver Member

Give him a break, as far as I'm concerned, there's just as many people who aren't very happy with the monitor replacement as opposed to the tv, as there are people who are perfectly happy with their monitor.

Note that what he said in his e-mail in no way stated the URL or name of the forum which he said he was a part of.

And I sure as hell bet that if he does get a response from his e-mail, and EFG decides to go out and change it to an actual TV, then those of you who happily accepted your monitor would probably end up e-mailing EFG in order to get speakers or whatever sent out to you.

If you're willing to roll over and accept your fate, that's your choice. No need to get all uppity over someone else who decides that he wants to step up and take action and see if something can indeed be done about his situation.

Like what's already been stated, they said it would be a tv with speakers. It would show you what kind of people are running that business if they went out and substituted said gift with something of much lesser value to spite their customers.

And if that does happen, well... then that's quite a few less people I'll be telling about the site when they ask me about where/how I got my plasma.

Old 01-24-2006, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idshadow
Give him a break, as far as I'm concerned, there's just as many people who aren't very happy with the monitor replacement as opposed to the tv, as there are people who are perfectly happy with their monitor.

Note that what he said in his e-mail in no way stated the URL or name of the forum which he said he was a part of.

And I sure as hell bet that if he does get a response from his e-mail, and EFG decides to go out and change it to an actual TV, then those of you who happily accepted your monitor would probably end up e-mailing EFG in order to get speakers or whatever sent out to you.

If you're willing to roll over and accept your fate, that's your choice. No need to get all uppity over someone else who decides that he wants to step up and take action and see if something can indeed be done about his situation.

Like what's already been stated, they said it would be a tv with speakers. It would show you what kind of people are running that business if they went out and substituted said gift with something of much lesser value to spite their customers.

And if that does happen, well... then that's quite a few less people I'll be telling about the site when they ask me about where/how I got my plasma.
Right, we are all entitled to state our opinions here...on both sides. I wasn't attacking anyone (assuming your post was partially directed at my post) but simply stating that I wouldn't be happy if they start substituting an inferior display for everyone just to satisfy the demands that it come with a tuner, speakers and stand. If they end up substituting a Sony consumer TV, then great. :)

Old 01-24-2006, 05:49 PM
Bronze Member

I just received my monitor two minutes ago. Probably I will send them an email asking about the TV tuner.

Old 01-24-2006, 05:54 PM
the cool guy pose

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenuic
I just received my monitor two minutes ago. Probably I will send them an email asking about the TV tuner.
what freegift site did you do for your monitor

Old 01-24-2006, 05:54 PM
Silver Member

Haha, no worries, it wasn't really directed at anyone in particular, just that a bunch of recent posts have been of similar nature and I felt that maybe I should stick my head out and put in my 2 cents. ><

I do completely understand your concerns too, since I'm supposed to receive my plasma from EFG around early February and a plasma from MSG in about 8 weeks (I sent in certs awhile back but for some reason I think I printed up 1 cert twice so they only received 5, and I just re-mailed the 6 certs yesterday).

So basically I'll be getting a monitor from EFG (who knows, maybe they'll honor their advertisement and send out speakers and a tuner after like they did with the DVD burners... maybe not).

And with any luck maybe they'll have things sorted out and I'll get speakers and a tuner with the plasma from MSG which I'm expecting about 2 months from now. And just like you, I'd be a bit peeved if the plasma from MSG wasn't a Sony (or at least a Panasonic or Samsung) and ended up being that Akai brand or whatever that someone else linked to in one of these posts lol.

If not, oh well... at least we can say we/someone tried.

Old 01-24-2006, 05:56 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenuic
Perhaps you might even be willing to call them directly and ask? Might get a better response or something since you took the time to wait on hold to speak to a representative.

Although they are pretty good with replying to e-mails (at least mine) with something that wasn't an automated response.

Let us know what kind of a response you get.

Old 01-24-2006, 05:57 PM
Silver Member

allenuic!

Congrats! Pics?

Old 01-24-2006, 06:13 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
I kind of take offense that you wrote to them claiming to be a "spokesperson" for this board and that you are claiming to represent us here.
I actually wrote that I'm an "unofficial" spokesperson for A message board. I didn't mean to step on your toes.

Quote:
I think it's been made pretty clear by a lot of people here that we have NO problem receivng what they are sending.
That's why I said "Most of us need/would like a tuner. And most of us would like the stereo speakers that were promised." I didn't say ALL of us.

Quote:
I just can't believe people are fighting them on something that is CLEARLY spelled out in their t.erms.
Well I think this is more of a customer satisfaction issue than a t erms issue. By not upholding their end of the bargain and sending a gift that's less valuable than they described, they're going to lose customers who were on the fence about doing these sites in the first place. Remember, whatever they chose to do about this will surely be discussed on this board. Do you think they want negative publicity?

Just remember, in no way did I threaten or disrespect them. I simply said we are concerned that we might not get the gift we expected. Personally, I feel we have nothing to lose by asking them about this.

Old 01-24-2006, 06:19 PM
Bronze Member

Sorry that I can't take any picture because I lost my only digital camera last week and am still debating whether to buy one or find a "free" one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonsai
allenuic!

Congrats! Pics?

Old 01-24-2006, 06:28 PM
Silver Member

They probably know about the various forums that they get talked about on, but I still dont think its a good idea to tell them that we are working together to complete their site. It only gives them more of an incentive to make the site harder.

Old 01-24-2006, 06:36 PM
Silver Member

I agree with the above statement. Professional freebiests kill the sites, no need to draw attention to us.

Old 01-24-2006, 06:44 PM
Bronze Member

The attention has been on us for quite some time. Search on Google for everyfreegift and you will see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreasonsWeSeek
I agree with the above statement. Professional freebiests kill the sites, no need to draw attention to us.

Old 01-24-2006, 06:47 PM
Freebie Addict...help.....

I could see them making the site harder and possibly taking credit away from some of us. Essentially this site is a how-to guide of how to get expensive stuff for free or cheap. I would say that a good percentage of the people out there doing the sites without coming here for help are paying more than what they should and they don't know how to get manual credit for offers that don't show or go in progress and the other insider info. I am in line to get a lot of nice stuff and money. Including the plasma tv. I can understand your arguments about the tuner. But I am content to leave well enough alone and love my monitor/tv when I get it, hopefully for the NCAA March Madness. I am just glad right now that I have done most of the sites that I want to, because I fear this may be coming to an end. Already in my 4 months of doing this, the requirements have become much harder and I see many more referral based sites being started. I am not Chicken Little saying the sky is falling, but maybe we should keep it on the down low and not draw attention to ourselves. That's my 2 cents, take it or leave it. Peace :cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by igneous
They probably know about the various forums that they get talked about on, but I still dont think its a good idea to tell them that we are working together to complete their site. It only gives them more of an incentive to make the site harder.

Old 01-24-2006, 07:42 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Well I think this is more of a customer satisfaction issue than a t erms issue. By not upholding their end of the bargain and sending a gift that's less valuable than they described, they're going to lose customers who were on the fence about doing these sites in the first place. Remember, whatever they chose to do about this will surely be discussed on this board. Do you think they want negative publicity?

Just remember, in no way did I threaten or disrespect them. I simply said we are concerned that we might not get the gift we expected. Personally, I feel we have nothing to lose by asking them about this.
I don't think it has anything to do with customer service. If it did, these places would be a little more flexible when some of us run into problems. Instead, they always point to "SEE OUR T.ERMS" and pretty much win the battle. That's my point in all of this, it IS only about the t.erms.

As for them worrying about losing customers; I don't think they care honestly. Do you not think they know that the same people are doing their sites more than once and not sticking to the "1 per household" rule? They know they will keep getting repeat customers. Once we've all done one site, we no doubt want more and more; they know this.

I just know i'm going to be pis*ed if in 2 months when my Plasmas are due to me, they decide to spite the whole lot of us because of the complaints of a few and I get some piece of junk tv in its place. And their rationale will be: "Dear Customer, due to the recent complaints of a few that the original Plasma was not a TV, we want to make good and make sure we deliver what we said. Please accept this COBY TV as a replacement for your Plasma. You'll be happy to know it comes complete with tuner AND speakers. Enjoy."

Now I"m being a little flip here but I just don't want to get screwed after going through the process. :eek: