report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER
Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Government Scams
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2006, 08:02 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Government Grants Scam

Complete listing of Government Grants- Free!
http://www.grants.gov

No need to pay a fee.

Old 01-17-2006, 07:55 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Re: Government Grants Scam

There is a new scam in which you receive a call and they say (in an Indian accent that is difficult to understand) that they are U.S. Government Grants department and you have been chosen for a $12500 free grant. All you have to do is give them your checking account. They provided a customer service number so I checked that, and it turns out they are Advantage America, a company that will sell you a book for $49.95 (or maybe 14.95 - I could not understand their accent) and charge it to your checking account. They don't take credit cards, only electronic transfers for funds, and there is no $12500 grant.

Old 02-09-2006, 11:39 PM
I am new at Scam.com

I was also scammed by the same department. You could not understand thier accent. You ask a question so you can better understand and they give you attitude like you are the stupid one. In my case though, I gotten taken for $299.95 for the taxes to be taken out, the only thing was the taxes weren't to come out unless the so-called grant was deposited. When I called to discuss this matter I was unable to speak to someone in charge, due to the fact they were on the phone. SURE!. Anyway I reported this to the Better Business Bureau and the Attorney General. I am sorry to hear about the scam you experienced. Hopefully they will be stopped.

Old 02-10-2006, 08:34 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Has anyone ever heard of or had any experiences with a company called Kensington Consulting out of New York, they send you a postcard stating you are eleigable for gov't grants (you're guaranteed $5,000.00) then after you finish the application process, they tell you you are eligable and need to send them $299.95 and you will receive all the paperwork to sign and after they get it back it will take about 4 weeks till you get your check??? I received one of these postcards... Wondering how true this is or if its really just another scam to get our money.

Old 02-15-2006, 02:23 AM
I am new at Scam.com

I had a similar experience. I got called from an individual with a heavy accent. The connection was really bad, which was my first clue. The number also registered as 'out of area'. He said I was eligible for an $8000 grant, because I had paid my taxes on time and because it was the government's way of 'paying back the people'. Mmmm hmmm. When I mentioned I hadn't worked last year, he said it might be a fluke but that my name was still on the list.

He already had my name and mailing address but asked for my date of birth. I told him to send me the information via mail and if I was interested I would call back and give him that information. Needless to say, I had to verify who I was before he could send me the information. He dismissed the fact that I identified myself initially, before any mention of a grant.

Instead of answering, I asked if there was a website or an 800 number I could call back--nope. It's his job to call me, not mine to call him, and if they made their *free* grants public knowledge, they'd be inundated. So I asked what other information he would need besides my date of birth, and he mentioned my mother's maiden name. Like THAT'S going to happen...I told him I wasn't interested and he hung up.

I guess my point is to ask questions to trip them up. If they're legitimate, they should have some sort of way to contact them. And if they seem rather...evasive...or don't provide much information, they're probably a scam.

Old 02-15-2006, 09:37 PM
Newbie Member

Yes I have heard of them they also go by Kensington Assistance Agency. I got a green postcard from them the other day so I thought that I would check them out they are a SCAM and want to steal your money!!! Do yourself a favor and throw out your card. IF you want more info go to ripoffreport.com they have alot to say about that hoax of a company. Hope that I helped you. Have a nice day!!!

Old 02-16-2006, 07:52 PM
I am new at Scam.com

jen316...thank you so much for the feedback...I've already decided to throw those cards away because I also got one from Kinsington Consulting and checked them out with the BBB and not a good report. So both cards went into the trash.

Old 02-16-2006, 11:17 PM

Was there not a guy that did Infomercials named Micheal Lesko or something like that on T.V.

He dressed up in a cheesy suit with Money $$ signs on it.

I hope nobody was dumb enough to believe that.

Old 02-18-2006, 08:29 AM
epsdirect

Quote:
Was there not a guy that did Infomercials named Micheal Lesko or something like that on T.V. He dressed up in a cheesy suit with Money $$ signs on it. I hope nobody was dumb enough to believe that.
Did you buy the course? His course is well put together. But thanks for the misleading post.

Old 02-22-2006, 05:00 AM

I got a call from a lady claiming I was entitled to 7,500 and up to 12,500 for a government funded grant. She kept on saying A GRANT IS MONEY THAT YOU NEVER HAVE TO REPAY. All of the requirements was to be a taxpayer, be at least 18 years old and have a valid checking account. If I was really getting a Grant don't you think she would actually have known my name? Well I then hung up on her, and she kept calling (8x) demanding that I tell her my banking info..finally I told her I was going to have her phone number traced- she still called. I did have the # traced b/c it was out of area, but the phone company traced it then I gave it to the sheriff's department, and they did nothing. She still calls every once in a while, on the days that she's going to call I usually find somewhere to go for the day! :) Is there anything else that I can do?

Last edited by babydoll29710 : 02-22-2006 at 05:02 AM. Reason: mispelled word

Old 02-25-2006, 10:14 PM
I am new at Scam.com

I just had an East Indian-accented guy call me about being chosen to receive a $12,500 government grant because I paid my taxes on time and had never filed bankruptcy. He did known my name and address. He said they were sending me out $500 in grocery coupons and a $100 emergency ? card. Also, sending the legal documentation for me to sign and return to them. He wanted to know what checking account I wanted the money deposited into, and wanted my account number. I was NOT born yesterday and hung up on him. I'm calling and emailing my family and friends to alert them to this scam. Stupid scam artists!

Old 02-28-2006, 06:00 AM
I am new at Scam.com

I was called last week by a company with fast cash grants .com. They said that I was eligible for a government grant all I had to do was give them my checking account # which I did 2 accounts. One account had about $30 in it and the other $2.66. I renig on the first account and decided to go withthe other account that had only 2.66 in it. I did not like the line of questioning during the verification of my information so I hungup on them during the verification part. The fact is I gave these account #s out. The very next day I went and had both account #s changed and the old ones closed out. I have gotton a couple of calls today one this evening that asked my wife if I was there and she told them that I was out (Which I really was) and the lady with the heavy accent said "Thats not good" and hungup. a couple hours later I get a call that comes up unavailable on the caller ID and I answer it and there is nothing but silence on the other end. COuld these be harassing calls from the grant scammers? I would like to know if anybody else has had the same experience? Thanks

cvallee

Old 03-01-2006, 07:24 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by epsdirect
Did you buy the course? His course is well put together. But thanks for the misleading post.
Yup, I've never read the book, but I had a friend who did (my friend knows his ****), and he seemed to think the book was very good as well.

The book just shows you how to go about setting up a grant proposal to the government. How well you do it and whether you get the grant or not has n othing to do with the book. But the opportunities to get grants that he puts together for you in his book are legit.

Old 03-07-2006, 10:09 PM
Grant Applicant

There are a few factors to look for when companies contact you about grants that will let you know whether they are a scam or not.
1. Did they call you out of the blue, or did you request that they contact you? - Several websites will have forms that allow you to submit your info, and request to be contacted - these companies are not necessarily legit, but it is DEFINITELY a scam if you didn't submit anything to anyone. Grants are not awarded like lotteries, so there are no "out of the blue" calls that are legitimate.

2.Do they guarantee you a certain amount of money? (I.e. Do they say "You are guaranteed to receive $5000 or more!") - There is absolutely no way to have a guaranteed grant, and the only way you will know if you have received one is if you send in the application forms and are approved.

3. Do they say a grant will be deposited into your account? - This is not the way that government grants are awarded. Again, if you have not sent in an actual application package and gone through the process, anyone telling you that they will deposit a grant is most certainly a scam. There are companies that provide help through the application process and charge a fee for their services, and in many cases they will withdraw the fee from an account that you have authorized. But anyone saying that they will DEPOSIT money is bad news. The trick is to ask the right questions - if the company is charging you money and needs to withdraw it, make sure you are clear about exactly what services they are providing and that the fee is for only those services.

4. Do they guarantee a grant within a certain period of time? (Say, 4-6 weeks?) - Applying for a grant takes time: there is a process that you have to go through to apply, and generally after the application deadline has passed, it takes an additional 30 days minimum for the agency to choose a recipient. All together, the process takes more than 4-6 weeks to complete - It is definitely a scam if someone promises you otherwise.

5. Do they promise you "Free Money" or emphasize words like "..never repay!" or "everyone qualifies!" ?? - NOT everyone qualifies for a grant, and if you do, you need to know exactly which programs you qualify for. "Free Money" does not really exist, unless you win the lottery, and even then you have to buy a ticket. True, grants are something you don't have to pay back, but not every source of funding is a "grant" by definition - there are also good options including government assisted loans and other types of funding that you could apply for.

It is important to get contact information (a phone #, a website, etc.) from the person you are dealing with, and to ask a lot of questions so that you know what is going on.
There are a few legit sites that I have encountered where you can find more information:
http://www.cfda.gov Catalogue of Federal Domestic Assistance = lists grant programs
www.grants.gov = provides info for mostly NON PROFIT organizations
www.grantability.com = determines your eligibility and provides assistance through the process for a reasonable fee
www.grantzine.com = a forum where people looking for grants can post what they learn

Sorry for the long post, but I have been "in the game" for a long time and hate seeing people get scammed, and I have really done my research!

Old 03-09-2006, 12:45 AM
I am new at Scam.com

I just wanted to thank everyone on here for the postings. I recieved a green postcard in the mail today offering me $5000 in grant money. I recently applied for a grant and thought it may be related. I called the # on the card and while I was on hold I looked up the agency name. One of the first sites to come up on google was this thread. By the time someone answered the phone I already knew it was a hoax. So I played along, giving up all sorts of fake information, and wouldn't you know it, even with fakes addresses, fake bank accounts, and more, I was "approved" in a matter of minutes. They wasted no time in letting me know about the 299.95 " professional fee" they needed collect though, at which time I let the scumbag know I was reading about them on line. He didn't even bother finding out what it was I read, he just said; " oh, ok" and hung up.

Old 03-23-2006, 10:56 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeggyJ1949
Has anyone ever heard of or had any experiences with a company called Kensington Consulting out of New York, they send you a postcard stating you are eleigable for gov't grants (you're guaranteed $5,000.00) then after you finish the application process, they tell you you are eligable and need to send them $299.95 and you will receive all the paperwork to sign and after they get it back it will take about 4 weeks till you get your check??? I received one of these postcards... Wondering how true this is or if its really just another scam to get our money.
I wonder if this company is the same as Lions Gate Financial out of New York? I just got a postcard from them today saying I possibly qualify for a government grant of at least $5000 to be used for a home, school, business, etc. Good thing I've been checking it out...it just looked a bit fishy and what d'ya know...it is.

Old 08-08-2006, 12:04 AM
I am new at Scam.com

I would just like to say that my husband and I have had the wonderful (sarcasm) oppurtunity to work with Kensington Assistance Agency. They had sent him a little yellow card in the mail. My husband thougth it wouldnt hurt to check it out so we did and they promised that we would get this and that but the best of all we would be eligable for at least 3 grants. So we thought what the heck. Wish we would have googled there name before we did anything not to sure why we didnt. My husband and I had called to check on our supposed "grant" and all the phone numbers were disconected I was so p**sed. I finally got a hold of the better buisness beruea and they helped us come up with a phone number to get in contact with these people. To make a long story short DO NOT RESPOND TO THESE PEOPLE THEY WILL TRY AND TAKE YOU FOR EVERYTHING YOU HAVE AND YOU WILL GET NOTHING IN RETURN. AND WHAT MAKES ALL THIS WORSE IS THAT WHEN YOU DO GET IN TOUCH WITH SOMEONE AND ASK TO SPEAK WITH A MANAGER YOU CANT THEY DONT TAKE PHONE CALLS.. I told them that this is a f**king joke and I really dont know how they sleep at night doing this. So take it from someone who has had this happen first hand be aware and stay away..

Old 08-19-2006, 07:48 AM
I am new at Scam.com

ok... my name says it all. I'm a stupid idiot!!! I bought the scam... hook, line, and sinker! You know you have to be pretty desperet for money to believe a stupid scam like this. Well, here's what happened....
A guy calls with a thick Indian accent telling me that I have been awarded a Federal Government Grant in the amount of $12,500 for paying my taxes on time. Well, to make a long story short... I ended up giving this creep my name, address, phone number, date of birth, name of bank, routing and checking account number. He gave me 3 different confirmation numbers and a toll-free number and address for them. The number he gave me (866-763-7554) is a pre-recorded message saying "your account has been inactivated, please contact your account manager" and hangs up on you. The address he gave me (1900 Howell Branch Road, Winter Park, FL 32792) is an actual location but it is like an office building with offices like an insurance company, a lawyer, software company, and even a church. I can't believe I gave them this info. What can they do to me? At the end of our call they asked for the last 4 of my SS#. I said no way and they quickly hung up. I guess they had all the info they needed already. What can I do? What can they do to me? I'm so scared. If anyone knows anything about this scam, please contact me at catesar@gmail.com.
Thanks, Amy