report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER
Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Internet Scams
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2009, 09:36 AM
I am new at Scam.com

HarryM.com? Weird job offer...

Hello Scam.com, I have a problem.

I consider myself pretty scam-savvy, and this email I recieved feels fake, and yet nothing I can find can pinpoint it as being fake. Nothing can pinpoint it as real, either. If it's real, it would be a great benefit to me, but I can't be sure.

You see, I'm looking for work right now, pretty much fresh out of college. I've got my resume posted to a couple of job offer sites, and I occasionally get job offers that lead to interviews that lead to me not having enough experience to be hired.

This latest job offer just seems... weird though. It's an overseas (Finland) company (HarryM Ltd.) who wants to hire me, in America, as a Purchasing Agent, for a reasonable salary. Sounds great! Except I don't have any experience in such things... heck, I'm an English Major (hence my difficulty finding work).

The overseas part makes me nervous, although they do seem to have American offices. The first email I got was barely coherant english, although subsequent emails seem okay.

Other than the website they gave me via email, I can't find them online. I can't find them via google, I can't find the name of the person who has been contacting me, I can't find any companies that claim to use them.

I could be overly paranoid. Yet I don't just want to take their word for who they are. Surely if they're legit, SOMEONE on the internet has heard of them. Yet I find nothing...

So I come to you. The person is going to be phoning me tomorrow morning with more information, but I'm hoping you on the internet can help me first.

Old 01-14-2009, 01:44 PM
Platinum Member

Re: HarryM.com? Weird job offer...

Sounds to me like the "job" is actually being a money mule, not an agent of any kind.

Old 01-14-2009, 01:52 PM
Platinum Member

Anything that deals with receiving or sending money to the "client" through the wire(Western Union for example) is illegal and is form of money laundering/payment processing scam.

Old 01-14-2009, 02:02 PM
I am new at Scam.com

This is what was sent me:
Quote:
As for the position here is the short description:
Position name is: PURCHASING AGENT
(Purchase department)
Salary: $40,000 - $65,000 /year (weekly payment during first months of working)
Part time
Responsibilities:
-The main idea of this role is to organize purchase activity of the
company on US market.
- to manage supplying contracts.
Your duties will include purchasing, transportation scheduling,
and checking up the payment to suppliers.
Doesn't sound like wiring money at all.

As I said, I'm going to be talking to the guy on the phone tomorrow. What questions should I ask that would ensure things are in the clear (or alternative, verify that it's fake)?

One question I think I should ask: why do none of the news links on the front of your website not go anywhere? Also, why does your website not use PHP for such things?

Last edited by Fieari : 01-14-2009 at 02:09 PM.

Old 01-14-2009, 02:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Your duties will include purchasing, transportation scheduling,
and checking up the payment to suppliers.
Slightly different variation of the scam.

1)You receive fake check/money order.
2)You cash it.
3)You buy some hot items and send it to intermediary for further reshipping to Africa or Eastern Europe.
4)They tell you to keep 10% for yourself and wire whatever is left back to them.
5)In 3 weeks you will find that your bank account is frozen and FBI wants to talk to you.
6)You will have to return to bank amount of fake check.

Thats all major steps of this scam. Sometimes they will only scam you on wire transfer, sometimes only of reshipping and sometimes on both.

Anyway, I have seen thousands of scam like this and I can give you 100% guarantee, it is what it is. If you do not trust me, check whatever "check" you will receive through FedEx with bank manager. Call issuing institution/bank and ask them if sender account even exists. Go through due diligence and you will not be scammed.

Old 01-14-2009, 08:53 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Ugh. I believe you. Nothing on their web site actually works or does anything.

I find it strange that whois claims they've been up at least since '05, and yet no one else on the net has complained about them being a scam. Ah well, here's to being the first.

Bunch of bastards.

Now I just have to figure out the best way to tell them to fuck off.

Old 01-20-2009, 03:44 PM
I am new at Scam.com

I am currently in contact with these same people...they have called me and are conducting interviews with me over the phone. Again it seems like a legitimate job offer but it sounds too good to be true. Has anyone else talked to these people? The guys name or the name he uses is Damien Russ...he claims to be an HR assistant I even have a telephone number to reach him but its a landline out of NJ

Old 01-20-2009, 03:51 PM
I am new at Scam.com

I'm in the same situation. Mikko Makenin from Finland has been contacting me. Do you have any info ?
Thanks

Old 01-20-2009, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorisZ View Post
Anything that deals with receiving or sending money to the "client" through the wire(Western Union for example) is illegal and is form of money laundering/payment processing scam.

Yes. I recommend looking elsewhere.
Hello, I am on a search for a typing job. I am a very fast and pretty much, mistake free typist. So I want to use that somehow. If anyone knows of any site or what not on how I could find a job like this contact me here through private messaging. Thank you

Old 01-20-2009, 04:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I find it strange that whois claims they've been up at least since '05, and yet no one else on the net has complained about them being a scam. Ah well, here's to being the first.
Scammers probably bought website name few month ago. It was a legitimate website before then.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:40 AM
I am new at Scam.com

To those still thinking it might be legit, do what I did. Go to their website, and click EVERY LINK YOU SEE. Not just the links at the top of the page, click the ones at the bottom.

Funny how they don't actually go anywhere, huh?

Now go to the form where you can supposedly "track shipments". Put in some bogus data, and go to submit it. Note the address the link takes you to: an html file! Since it isn't a php file, that means the data you just typed into the text boxes went straight to nowhere.

If you're still unconvinced, take a look at the "organizations they belong to". Look up those organizations on the net, and check out their member lists. You won't find them there.

For more fuel, note (at: http://whois.domaintools.com/harrym.com ) that they utilized http://domainsbyproxy.com/ for the domain, in order to hide contact information. Name another big company that does the same?

A little bit of research is all it takes.

Last edited by Fieari : 01-27-2009 at 08:55 AM.

Old 01-29-2009, 05:12 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Can you bring us up to date? What happened since your last post? Did you find out anything more? This sounds scary, especially with so many people out of work.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:26 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Ugh. This is so frustrating. My husband has been out of work for a few months now. We have had no income period, neither one of us can find any work. We have a 3yr old son and it's all just really stressful. I knew that my husband has been talking back and forth to these people through email and even had some phone interviews, and I felt a little uneasy about it when he told me what his 'job' would be. Today he tells me "I got that job" and he printed out all the info and let me read it. They said he'd be making $3000 monthly and would be a purchasing agent, exactly the same that's been said here. Of course we wanted to believe this was true since we have nothing right now, but I had a really bad feeling. My husband on the other hand is so naive and will believe anything. When he said they'd either send him a check in the mail or he could have it direct deposited into our bank account, I immediately went online and did a search for them. THIS is what I came across. It's not good to do a search for a company and on the first page, you see scams.com. GRRRR!!! I am so fed up with dishonest people. I've been scammed in the past, and almost got in serious trouble for it. I was interrogated like some kind of terrorist by detectives. It was not only so embarrassing since I'm an honest person and would never do such a thing, but it has made me very paranoid of everyone. I find it hard to trust people now.

This is obviously a scam, unfortunately for us that are out of work and need something like this to be real. They are taking complete advantage of good people in hard times. Isn't there something we can do? Report them to the FBI or something? How can they get away with this? It's not fair. Some poor naive person is going to get burned by them really bad and their life is going to be ruined.

Also, my husband checked the links on their site, all the links and they are working now. Weird...

Old 02-02-2009, 05:18 AM
I am new at Scam.com

I received their so called labor contract...once again other than the grammatical errors it appears legit...they ask for my signature and social security #...I didnt send it back in and I have not heard from them since...Btw there is a link on the fbi page for internet scams which can be used to notify the authorities.

Old 02-02-2009, 07:08 AM
Silver Member

Based on everything I have read, this thing is a scam for sure.

But there is a detail in the website (aside from all the ones pointed out above) that really struck me, because I own websites myself and I usually (as everybody does) put a complete copyright statement at the bottom like this:

"Copyright © 2008 CompanyName.com All Rights Reserved."

These guys only put:

"Harrym@1997"?!? what the...?

The website is also packed with grammatical errors.

I mean, only by looking at this website I know these guys are scammers, and what is worse, clumsy and ignorant ones.

Stay away from them.

Last edited by legitebiz : 02-02-2009 at 07:24 AM.