report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER
Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Used Car Scams
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2005, 04:03 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Government Auctions: The Truth

From the desk of Scott Welch......

Government Auction Bargains?

.....Hundreds of "government auction" websites have appeared in the past year, claiming to offer direct access to directories and databases of when & where each government auction in the U.S. takes place - even those that are not advertised. Unfortunately, most of these websites only have one intent - making you pay to become a member of their website just so they can supposedly tell you where to go on the internet to find current and upcoming auctions in your area. But all they actually do is provide you with a list of useless links to websites that no longer exist, or other companies that want you to pay more money to join their website as well!

Most of these websites will charge you a $30-$40 fee for access to their directory of government auction sources. But in reality, 99% of these websites offer you nothing more than the following:

Outdated or non-working links, phone numbers, & email addresses.

No customer service or help in locating auctions.

No refunds if you are unsatisfied - Most of these fly-by-night websites won't even respond to your refund requests, and once their website gets shut down due to complaints, they start another one under a different name.

Poorly designed sites with confusing navigation systems and information, and non-working pages.

Its a shame that this is happening, because there are actually legitimate auctions taking place where people can bid on real estate, autos, jewelry, furniture, electronics, and firearms at 50%-75% off. Government agencies regularly seize vehicles and personal property from criminals, such as drug dealers, or people who have been convicted of tax evasion. Since the government is not in the business of trying to run a profitable store, they want to liquidate these things as quickly as possible.

As a watchdog for work at home scams and related things, we have thoroughly reviewed hundreds of government auction websites, talking to their owners, reviewing their member's areas, and speaking to many of their customers. Based on our research, as of June 2005, we can only recommend the 4 government auction websites out of the hundreds we've visited, as they have proven to be legitimate sources for quality auction information. These companies all require a one time fee of $30-$35, and they charge this fee because they actually have dedicated representatives to help you find nearby auctions as well as others that may have what you are looking for, including unadvertised online auctions. (Here's a hint: join one of the sites below, check out their auction listings in your area and make a note of them. Then ask for a refund of your membership fee based on their no questions asked money back guarantee. Then go ahead and attend the auctions you noted. If you find that they were worthwhile, you can always rejoin the site later. This way, you've got nothing to lose. (You didn't hear that from us!)

After joining the sites below, you should expect to receive information on over 10 nearby government auctions taking place in your relative area in the next 30 days. Not only do they list when and where the auctions take place, but also what merchandise will be available. That way, you can see if there will be anything you are interested in ahead of time. Once at the auction, you can also view the items up close before the bidding starts, to get a better view of what exactly you are bidding on.

Its important to note that using the websites below, I went and attended a couple of nearby auctions listed on their sites. I was surprised to see only a handful of people in attendance, and items were selling for ridiculously low prices. I actually attended an auction with only 3 other bidders present. I was able to walk through prior to the auction to look at everything being sold. There were pallets of merchandise, seized vehicles, furniture, jewelry, and more. One thing that came to mind was that I could buy some of this merchandise cheaply and then resell it on eBay for nice profits. There were literally cars for sale for $600. And most were in excellent condition!

Whatever your reason is for attending, these auctions offer a wide range of quality items at huge discounts.

Best Regards,

- Scott Welch
TopSiteReviews.info

SOURCE: http://www.topsitereviews.info/government-auctions.html

What do you guys think?

Old 01-22-2006, 11:59 PM
Newbie Member

Re: Government Auctions: The Truth

Hi:
Its been my observation that a lot of these scams are nothing more than recycled scams from back in the days of mail order. Recycled and redesigned to work on the internet. Many of the mailorder auction list scams were nothing more than charging people $30-$40 dollars for reprinted copies of auction lists available from the U.S. Government publishing offices free for the asking. A lot of those listings on the U.S. government lists are outdated listings. Best for a person to do some research on their own in order to find out where and when these auctions are held and the Special conditions involved with particular auctions. For example purchasing firearms through police and sherrifs auctions is often closed to anyone except those holding a current Federal Firearms License, and if not limited to FFL holders the transfers must be handled through a Licensed FFL dealer.

Old 07-27-2006, 08:22 PM
I am new at Scam.com

[quote=MWeber]Hi:
Its been my observation that a lot of these scams are nothing more than recycled scams from back in the days of mail order. Recycled and redesigned to work on the internet. Many of the mailorder auction list scams were nothing more than charging people $30-$40 dollars for reprinted copies of auction lists available from the U.S. Government publishing offices free for the asking. A lot of those listings on the U.S. government lists are outdated listings. Best for a person to do some research on their own in order to find out where and when these auctions are held and the Special conditions involved with particular auctions.QUOTE]

ALL those review sites are ALL PAID ADS. The auction sites (good or bad) pay to have their site listed there. The more they pay Per Click the higher the ranking. just like Google ad. You will most likely NOT find a reputable auction site in those types of reviews. As I said, It is another Google type money making ad for the person doing the reviews. Why else would they waste their time? I would definatly stay away from Reviewd site recommendations! Do your own research!

If you want a legit and the Largest Police Auction and Government Auctions site, go to http://www.deaauctions.com. Or try Governmentauctionsguide.com or Policeauctions.com although they are only Government auctions without police.

Yes, you can find some of the information on your own FREE on the internet. But to save you Hundreds of hours researching, you can find all the info in one place. That is the conveinience you are paying for. I've tried looking for all the links and I got about 30 or so in a few hours. But once I joined DEA since they were the largest site, I was amazed at how much information they have and I could NOT have found all this myself without investing umpteen houndred hours researching. It was worth the $34.95 and is NOT a mailing list.

The BEST aprt of joining one of these, is that the information is right at your fingertips and you view or click to goto the auctioning agaency. When I did find those 30 links, I had to type in each one EVERY TIME i wanted to got to the different sites. Now all I have to do is point and click. I think If you don't have about $35 to invest in your auction endeaver, you probably should NOT be going to auctions in the first place.

Last edited by danielh36@hotmail.com : 07-27-2006 at 08:34 PM.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:50 AM
Newbie Member

Official response from PoliceAuctions.com to this thread. The best way to compare government auction sites is to visit each one and see what they have to offer.

Users post threads like this that appear to be a serious analysis of the sites, but are in fact affiliate or competitor ads designed to drive you to specific sites.

PoliceAuctions.com is free to join for basic membership, but this does not include details on the government auctions and foreclosures listings. We charge a small monthly fee to view details on those listings, which is only $7.95 per month.

We typically list over 1000 government vehicle auctions and over 1,000,000 foreclosures, in addition to our $1 no reserve auctions. Free members can participate in the $1 no reserve auctions.

On behalf of PoliceAuctions.com support team, we invite you to call us toll-free at 877 677-3040, monday through friday, 8-4 pm, not including holidays. We're happy to answer any questions you may have. Thank you.