report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER
Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Retail Scams
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2005, 07:38 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Scammed At Sears

I was contacted by a person that convinced me he was a Sears employee, I had met his “brother” the previous year at my place of business here in New Hampshire. Who told me at that time, I could purchase television sets slashed price from the warehouse, because they were overstocked and need to get rid of them for the next years models but, they where already sold to others. A year or so later actually Tuesday August 30th 2005 my business was contacted by this same man and two days later Thursday September 2nd 2005 his “brother” who told me and I believed, was a Sears Warehouse Manager called me and gave me an offer for the tv’s I was told about the previous year and to come to the Burlington mall in Massachusetts Sears and pick them up. The so called employee used the name Nick Collins phoned me several times from supposed Sears Van he drove and explained that he spent a lot of time on the road. I was phone by him several times on the trip to assure me he would be there. When I arrived Friday morning approximatly 11:30am on the 2nd day of September 2005 a young blonde woman “who I have identified to the police” met us with a smile in the Sears parking lot, right outside of the automotive department, and a Sears Receipt in her hand with all the information of the purchase, models and price and marked as paid in cash, posing as a Sears Employee and that “Nick” was busy but, would meet us at the delivery area. We exchanged the funds $4000.00 for a Sears Sales slip that I have seen countless times with my own purchases at the store and since I have picked up many items at the pick up area. When I got to the pick up area, I presented my Sears printed slip and was told after a minute or so that there was no Nick Collins there and I had been scammed. They did offer to call the Burlington Police and that’s about it, If there was a manager in the store, well they obviously could care less. The Police man however informed me that this was not a “secluded” case it’s been happening in that particular Sears and that there has been over 220.000.00 last year. the Sears Sales Slip which is now in the Burlingoton Police Departments hands did come from the inside of the store and along with the detailed information I received by phone calls from “Nick” I was robbed in their parking lot for $4000.00 and the parking lot belongs to Sears,cameras, videos, every inch of that parking lot should be on tape just like the inside of the store. authentic purchase slips are being used in these crimes, Why nobody has noticed them missing and which of your employees is giving criminals like that access to them. not one person who worked in that store even made an appearance, the man in the delivery area just said bluntly “you’ve been scammed...it’s been happening a lot lately” Sears knew there was a problem like this going on and have not done anything to prevent it.The purchase slip given to me was stolen And using Printed Sears Purchase Slips for merchandise that must of come from an employee inside, not to mention the Sears product information printed on the slip. I was upset, shocked, violated and robbed and not one person from Sears even came to see what was going on or if I was ok or not.This is not the only Sears store it’s happening in. And the persons involved are also in some way associated with Sears because they know to much information, Only the police man seemed to care.Sears knows exactly what is going on, they just don’t care.

Old 12-16-2005, 03:58 AM
Gold Member

Re: Scammed At Sears

beyond the glob of text and reading between the lines, how did SEARS scam you again?

I dont see anywhere in your complaint/report/post that it was SEars fault.
Only that you believe someone "claiming to be an employee" of SEars was the one that ripped you off.

Except that they know that it happens, but this type of SCAM isn't just affecting SEARs, its being done to other store chains (Walmart). ITs a well known scam.

and it could be an EX-employee of sears. I worked for sears for nearly 5 years, to the point that I knew product codes and UPC codes for every electronic item that was sold in the store. Why? Cause I worked in the receiving department. All of the information is easily accessible by any employee or EX-employee.

What can sears do? They are not responsible for the "gullibility" of people.

Last edited by Wizywyg : 12-16-2005 at 04:01 AM.

Old 12-16-2005, 07:45 PM

I guess they did say they were scammed at Sears, sort of like saying you were food poisoned at McDonald's while eating a bad bologna sandwich someone brought from home.

It's a crazy world...I think the only thing you can do is get the police involved. When I worked for a large discount department store which shall remain nameless, someone was robbed in our parking lot, which was supposed to have had security cameras all over it (at least they always emphasized this to us), but the security cameras were conveniently not working and no one was at the security desk when the person was robbed.

Sometimes it feels like there are mentally-incapacitated people at the wheel of this planet. Oh wait, there are...

Old 01-13-2006, 04:32 AM
I am new at Scam.com

We were scammed today also for thousands of dollars. We were called at our store and told the guy worked for our carting company. He said his brother worked for sears and they were able to sell stuff out the back door. They told us we would get a receipt. We were given a huge list which we offered to our friends and families. We were to meet them at the Sears in Rego Park, Queens, New York. When we arrive their was a young blond woman who jumped in the truck, took thousands of dollars from us, said drive to the bay while she went in the store for the receipts. While we were waiting another guy came in a truck, he had the same story as us. When the manager and ploice came out they said it had just happened yesterday and had happened about five months before. We were pissed, again it was thousands of dollars. I'm on here now so other can be warned so maybe we can put them out of buisness. I'm glad no one was hurt but they must be stopped. Your story sounds to close to mine that I bet it is the same people. They just moved to Long Island. :mad:

Old 01-13-2006, 09:17 PM
Gold Member

this is an OLD Scam, and it doesn't matter where it happened. this is just your basic, "sell out of the back of your car" scam that has been going in parking lots at malls/shopping centers for the better half of a century. NOTHING new, and its definitely not "sears" this THREAD is mistitled.

Dang, Nightline had a feature on this where they pulled the same trick on people in the parking lots of a shopping center, and no less than 20 people bought into their scam

Old 01-14-2006, 02:51 AM
Platinum Member

I think you should correct the title of this thread. You were not "scammed at sears". You were scammed in a parking lot by people you indicate you knew. Although I guess I see your reason - "I was scammed by my friend who promised me he could get me a steal of a deal if I paid him cash in the parking lot for electronics he was going to sneak out the back door of sears" doesn't make you sound to good. I'm sorry you were taken by these cons, really. Just remember that stores like Sears have "clearance centers" for this type of merchandise and they don't conduct their business in the parking lot.

Old 01-14-2006, 03:06 AM
I am new at Scam.com

I don't think he was blaming Sears nor was I. I think the point or at least my point is to tell people what went on to warn them. Maybe they use Sears and this could save a lot of other people money. I was NOT scammed by a friend. The guy that got me said he was from my carting company. He told me I was getting receipts, the girl that took our money was wearing a sears badge. I am just trying to get my experience out there so it does not happen to others. Had I known better I would have never fallen for it myself.

Old 01-16-2006, 12:10 AM
Platinum Member

pennot - I was not refering to your post - sorry you misunderstood. I am certain the information you have given will indeed protect others from this fraud.

Old 03-22-2006, 08:58 AM
Newbie Member

The only "discounts" you can legally get from Sears are through their shopping programs.
My credit card provider (In Canada though) has a membership program called "Galleria" and you can buy $1,000 of sears cards per year and get a rebate.
You get 20% back at the end of your next billing month.

So, you would be saving $200 more than in the store....not a huge savings but still it's honest!

Old 04-20-2006, 08:05 PM
I am new at Scam.com

i was just scammed yesterday 4/19/2006 at sears in yonkers same story the brother worked at sears and could get discounted items im printing these articales and posting them in the local newspaper so no one else gets scammed or someone else can give infomation i have a phone number of this guy "tony" and it is still active his phone number is 914-426-3769. just wondering if that is the same number as ant one else please let me know

Old 04-20-2006, 11:31 PM
S.D.M.F

Why anybody would hand over $$ for a slip of paper is beyond me.
If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

Old 06-13-2007, 01:18 AM
I am new at Scam.com

This had been happening in Philadelphia for quite some time as well. They arrested the man and woman involved and they are currently going through the legal system. They operated the EXACT same way as these cases are being described. They are from North Jersey and would not be suprised if they toggled back and forth robbing in N.Y. and then Phila. If you need information on the case the Detective in charge in Philadelphia is Det. Du Boe. His phone number at the precinct is 1-215-686-3153. I am sure that he would be happy to work with N.Y. law enforcement in case it was the same couple.

Old 09-29-2007, 07:17 PM
I am new at Scam.com

hello :]
today, i was at the new jersey mall (newport centre mall) and i was at sears..
there was this one middle age woman and this 20+ guy came up to me when i was lookin around for some t-shirts ..
they say sumthing like.... survey from sears....etc
she asked me if she can ask me some few questions .. survey thing.. and after that i will get a $5.00..
0.0.. i was said okay. w.e.. lols
she asked me, how wuld i like to suprize my family or relative or ur love one on christmas day? like a plasma tv...etc..
and i had to sign this paper out. . with my name, address..home phone, cell phone.. number..
and i got a $5 from her pocket.. folded up.. >.>..and that guy was filming me on his recorder.. itself.. while she asked me that question...
and they left.. i saw them tryin to ask some people again..

so i got my stuff and went to the register.. i asked the register lady.. how long have these person survey customers here.. and she's like.. she dont noe anything about it.. am im like .. o.o... okay..

is this some sorta scam?
has anyone encounter some people like this?

please reply.. thanks

Old 10-29-2007, 09:29 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Just wanted everyone to know that Sears is a joke. My grandmother is 77 years old and has been a loyal customer of Sears for years. She has gotten every single appliance in her house from Sears and has kept a service and replacement agreement on each one. Recently the main heat source for her house, which is a huge, floor model, gas space heater broke. When the technician came out he said the part that was needed was no longer being made and that Sears would need to replace the heater. Sounds simple right? After all this woman has been paying on service and replacement since 1977. All we have gotten is livid, quick, fast, and in a hurry! They tried to give her $150 when the thing cost her $600 and the cheapest one online with the same BTU's and features is 799.00. Its like they are spitting in her face. I have called customer relations everyday for the last week and they are always working on it.....yeah right. Well its come time to involve our local media. The temperatures are reaching freezing and their are four of us in the house-my grandmother who is 77 and has arthritis, me, and my two minor children and I refuse to go another night without heat when we have paid every year to avoid this kind of situation. Sears sucks flat out, they service, and how they treat loyal customers. We will never from this day forward shop at Sears for anything. Fox 2 News here we come, watch for our story in Detroit, I'm gonna do whatever is necessary to get Sears to own up to their responsibilities.

Old 01-09-2008, 05:58 PM
Newbie Member

Detroitgirl,

Try filing a complaint with the BBB in Chicago, IL against Sears Holding Company. Typically this will get Sears attention within 10 business days since they are required to respond.

Old 01-15-2008, 12:50 AM
I am new at Scam.com

iv also been scammed i have a picture of the person and still the cops do nothing. the person that scammed me also still has an active phone and the cops do nothing. http://www.massmostwanted.org/index....aseID=20070624 if anyone has any information respond or if anything remember this face

Old 02-13-2008, 07:37 PM
Gold Member

Doesn't it sound like everyone who is complaining about being scammed by Sears, in reality, wanted to scam Sears?