report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER
Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Charity Scams
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2005, 08:22 PM
* * I HATE SCAMS * *

Is Children with Hairloss ... Legit or Scam?

Does anyone know if this organization is legit?
Has anyone ever heard of them?
I have googled for info and got the following info!
:confused:

Children With Hair Loss Foundation... 22215 Huron River Drive Rockwood, MI 48173 1-866-HAIRLOS (424-7567) 734-379-7048 FAX 734-379-8983.
E-mail us at uniqueb@hotmail.com.
www.cwhl.org/donations.html - 8k - Supplemental Result - Cached - Similar pages

Hmmmmmm, the page will not load ... the e-mail is with HOTMAIL? :mad:

The mailed form has this:
Children With Hairloss
PMB 724-Contribution Center -CA
29193 Northwestern Hwy
Southfield, MI 48034-1011

Please make checks payable to: Children With Hairloss

Children With Hairloss
22215 Huron River Drive,
Rockwood, MI 48173

Has obtained the assistance of:

Associated Community Services, Inc.
24681 Northwestern Highway
Suite 250
Southfield, MI 48075
(248) 351-6713

A paid professional fund raiser, to assist in the fund raising program.

I googled and found this doc. :confused:
http://www.ag.state.oh.us/online_pub...1campaigns.pdf - Supplemental Result -

Old 12-29-2005, 08:08 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Re: Is Children with Hairloss ... Legit or Scam?

is that a joke? How many charities seek money for desperate people and this is CHILDREN WITH HAIRLOSS? Hmmm sounds like a mob scam to launder money doesn't it?

Old 01-07-2006, 02:27 AM
Newbie Member

Please help me I am 50 year old child I am lossing my hair like crazy.I will pay from my piggy bank $3.51 to:
Children With Hairloss
22215 Huron River Drive,
Rockwood, MI 48173
PS that's all I got please help simonsays

Old 01-07-2006, 03:16 AM
Platinum Member

Hi Jane - I see this is your second request for info - the first posted under the thread "verifying charities" back in November. The site -www.childrenwith hairloss.org works and looks legitimate enough to me. It may not be the one you're refering to. God knows it's a worthy cause - if you have ever known a child who suffered from such a condition. What makes you suspicious - that they have retained the services of paid fund-raisers? Sadly, many legitimate non-profits have gone this route. Perhaps they feel it necessary because there are just too many organizations vying for the money people donate.

P.S. - Simon - Perhaps you can start your own charity for "The Folically Challenged Adults with A Silly Sense of Humor - FCASSH - to be pronounced just "Fa Cash"

Last edited by linda49 : 01-07-2006 at 03:23 AM.

Old 01-07-2006, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linda49
Sadly, many legitimate non-profits have gone this route. Perhaps they feel it necessary because there are just too many organizations vying for the money people donate.
Linda, you are correct. It is very VERY hard to raise funds - most charities cannot afford the staff and advertising it takes to do it, and they really haven't got a choice. We have not used fund raising agencies (yet), but I would be lying if I said the thought had not crossed my mind more than once.

Another thing that drives charities to use fund raisers is the fact that people are so watchfull about the way charities spend money. A charity that spends 30 or 40 cents out of every dollar they collect on raising funds will not be respected; people won't want to donate to it because they see such figures as outrageous and suspicious. However, for a small charity with limited distribution, that's not an unreasonable figure; economies of scale only happen when the scale of fundraising gets very large. So what happens is this: they hire a fund raiser instead. This way the funds they don't show a huge capital outlay for fund raising. It's unfortunate, but it's a rock and a hard place kind of situation.

Old 04-21-2006, 12:39 PM
I am new at Scam.com

:) This is a legit organisation. My son has severe alopecia & has just received a hairpiece from this organisation free & we are extremely grateful. They somehow did all this even though we are in New Zealand & they are in the US.
All the best to this charitable organisation!!

Old 11-01-2006, 08:20 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonsays
Please help me I am 50 year old child I am lossing my hair like crazy.I will pay from my piggy bank $3.51 to:
Children With Hairloss
22215 Huron River Drive,
Rockwood, MI 48173
PS that's all I got please help simonsays

My son has alopecia - he has been bald 3 times, including currently since age 3 - this foundation has helped him receive a hair piece which has changed his life and ours. It is not a scam and mocking children with this condition or anyother condition as far as that goes is sad. I will pray for you.

Old 11-01-2006, 08:25 PM
I am new at Scam.com

This is a legit organization. My son has alopecia and has been bald 3 times including the present since age 3 and he is 9. I have read some of the comments on this page and I understand if you are questioning the organization, but to insult and make fun of children without hair is a complete shock. I really couldn't believe some of the comments made. I hope and pray that your children do not experience anything in their life that would cause hairloss, it is a truely devasting thing for one's self esteem and social development. This organization has helped him get hair and is in the process of getting a custom piece. They haven't asked for a dime, and have been very helpful. If want to know more about it, call the number listed on the homepage.

Old 11-18-2006, 06:00 PM
I am new at Scam.com

:) I found there Web Site www.childrenwithhairloss.us
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneQtDoe
Does anyone know if this organization is legit?
Has anyone ever heard of them?
I have googled for info and got the following info!
:confused:

Children With Hair Loss Foundation... 22215 Huron River Drive Rockwood, MI 48173 1-866-HAIRLOS (424-7567) 734-379-7048 FAX 734-379-8983.
E-mail us at uniqueb@hotmail.com.
www.cwhl.org/donations.html - 8k - Supplemental Result - Cached - Similar pages

Hmmmmmm, the page will not load ... the e-mail is with HOTMAIL? :mad:

The mailed form has this:
Children With Hairloss
PMB 724-Contribution Center -CA
29193 Northwestern Hwy

Please make checks payable to: Children With Hairloss

Children With Hairloss
22215 Huron River Drive,
Rockwood, MI 48173

Has obtained the assistance of:

Associated Community Services, Inc.
24681 Northwestern Highway
Suite 250
Southfield, MI 48075
(248) 351-6713

A paid professional fund raiser, to assist in the fund raising program.

I googled and found this doc. :confused:
http://www.ag.state.oh.us/online_pub...1campaigns.pdf - Supplemental Result -

Old 11-21-2006, 05:09 PM
I am new at Scam.com

This is not a scam - they have helped my son receive a hair piece - he has alopecia and is bald - he's 9 years old. We are in the process of receiving a custom piece which are very expensive. We have not been asked for anything they are a legitimate organization - if you still question their motives call the number - talk to them and they can explain their organization.

Old 11-30-2006, 03:22 AM
I am new at Scam.com

I see your question is from last year. This week (11/26/06) my daughter and I went to Children With Hairloss in South Rockwood. She suffers from Alopecia Areata and we were ready for a wig. We walked in without an appointment and 90 minutes later we walked out with a styled wig and a hair band to use under hats....all for free! Not only is this place legit, it is probably the most incredible non-profit organization I've run into in a long time. I'm just amazed at what they do for the kids. Have hair to donate? Donate it to them. Not to Locks of Love. L.O.L. takes 8 months to a year to get a child their hairpiece. The longest C.W.H. takes is 8-10 weeks. Imagine your son or child being without a hair piece for 8 months or more. I'm so impressed by what they do I'm touting their services in every way I can and several of my family members are going to do volunteer work for them.

Old 03-29-2007, 04:58 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by monica49
is that a joke? How many charities seek money for desperate people and this is CHILDREN WITH HAIRLOSS? Hmmm sounds like a mob scam to launder money doesn't it?
I found out they are a worth while charitie. They have help many familys and children. Hmmm sounds like monica49 needs help her self. Check out there web site www.childrenwithhairloss.us.

Old 05-04-2007, 09:23 PM
I am new at Scam.com

SCAM

I hear they do help children but the profit margin here is worse then the shrinners.
Most legitimate charities hire profesional board members and elect presidents legally. Not use easy to control friends and family.
Most legitimate charities hire profesional auctioners for there events.
I hear they are run by the same family and friends.

curious??

Old 05-08-2007, 09:15 AM

Maybe their just trying to avoid the huge salaries of presidents and ceos.

Old 05-15-2007, 03:27 AM
I am new at Scam.com

I just wanted to say that I have worked for a professional fund raising association before who fundraised for the Children with Hair Loss and it is a completely legitimate charity. Check with your state Attorney General's office if you have such a problem believing the person who you speak with on the phone. It is also incredibly immature to deem any cause for fundraising unworthy. If you had lost your hair from any of the following reasons: Chemical Burns, Radiation of Chemotherapy Treatments, or numerous degrees of fire burns, how would you like if people scoffed at the fact that you didn't have the funds to purchase a nearly $1000 hair piece.

Old 05-15-2007, 03:28 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Another thing, charities as big as the Make a Wish foundation use plenty of assistance in their crusade. They mass mail and call every 2 to 3 months, as opposed to the one time per year of other charitable organizations.

Old 10-16-2007, 01:45 PM
I am new at Scam.com

CHILDREN WITH HAIRLOSS IS A HIGHLY LEGITIMATE CHARITY. The founder of the organization is a personal friend of my family and I have seen this charity form from the bottom up. Regina works very hard for this organization and she is a VERY kind person. She works to fundraise so that all of her clientsc get FREE service. In fact, the wigs that most of her clients recieve use a vaccum seal system so the wigs cannot be pulled off. These particular wigs are hand woven by strand and cost about $5000/wig. The site has just recently been unaccessable, I don't know for sure, but they MAY be remodeling the site.

Old 11-04-2007, 07:10 AM
Banned

BBB reports for the above.

Children with Hair Loss
Quote:
Children with Hair Loss
(734)379-4400

29100 Gateway Blvd. #100
Flat Rock, MI 48134
View Location Map

Charity-Local

childrenwithairloss@hotmail.com

Regina Villemure, Founder/President

Children with Hair Loss
29193 Northwestern Highway (734) 379-4400

Children with Hair Loss
29100 Gateway, Suite 350 (734) 379-4400
Flat Rock, MI 48134 (888) 398-2243 (866) 639-4247 (866) 424-7567 (734) 379-7048 (734) 379-8983
This is not necessarily a complete list.
They are also connected to this company, Unique Enhancements, Inc.
Quote:
Unique Enhancements, Inc.

(734)379-7048

12776 South Dixie
South Rockwood, MI 48179
View Location Map

Wigs & Hairpieces
Barbers

uniqueb@hotmail.com

Christine Villemure, Owner
michigan.gov/statelicenses
Quote:
Charitable Organization

Required State License(s):

Should be licensed with the Department of Attorney General, Charitable Trusts Division; (517) 373-1152.

Further Information: Non-profit status is obtained from the Internal Revenue Service, telephone: 1-800-829-4933.