report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER
Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Hotel Scams
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2006, 09:56 AM
Silver Member

Re: Summer Bay Resorts - Updated

WE FINALLY WON!!!

SUMMER BAY RESORTS HAS NOW DONE WHAT I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO GET THEM TO DO FOR OVER A YEAR - PUT IT'S ADDRESS IN THE TERMS & CONDITIONS!!

You must log onto the SBR websites (www.beginmyvacation.com) to access your "account". You will need to print out the confirmation letter there and the Terms & Conditions that are contained in this teeny-tiny scrolling box. Just highlight all of the text in that box, copy it, and paste it into a word processing application. (That's the only way you will have it to show to your bank or credit card companies.) It used to print out with the confirmation letter but now they are trying to make it as hard as hell for purchaser to see the cancellation clause. I also noticed that SBR has added a lot of new clauses and compliance information for citizens of certain states and for Australia. But, more importantly, SBR has finally included it's physical address and phone number!!!
THAT'S WHAT I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO GET THEM TO DO FOR OVER A YEAR!!! If this terms had been available on May 9, 2005 when my mother got caught up in this mess, it wouldn't have taken me 4 days to find the info and a kazillions posts here along with more email than I can count in order to spread the info with others.

I have copied and printed out below for you to peruse. Please read it carefully, especially the passages that I have put in BOLD text for you.

Terms and Conditions:

1. Hotels require two forms of identification upon check-in. A valid driver's license, Military ID or Passport and a Visa, Master Card, American Express, Discover or Diners Club credit card for property damage security, taxes and room charges.

2. In order to qualify for the accommodations offered in the destinations described in this promotional package, you are required to attend a courteous sales presentation and tour of our sponsoring resort properties. (Approx. 90 minutes during breakfast or lunch on a day designated by the resort, during your stay.) If you fail to attend the required presentation you will be charged the retail value (full rate) for the accommodations you received.

3. This offer is designed for couples and families traveling together for recreational and vacation purposes. Not designed for use on business travel.

4. To participate you must be at least 21 years of age. If married both husband and wife must attend the tour and sales presentation together. Non-married couples must travel and attend tour together.

5. This special offer is limited to one per household or family. No group travel allowed on this special promotional rate. Group travel is considered two or more couples traveling together on the same package arriving or staying at the same destination on the same or alternate date.

6. Additional rooms or nights may be purchased at the time of booking. Rates may vary by season. All room accommodations are in a hotel or motel or condos in the resort area and are subject to the availability of Summer Bay Resort room allotments.

7. This offer may not be used in conjunction with any promotional offer or for use with another vacation ownership week. Two or more offers may not be used within the same year traveling to or staying at the same resort area.

8. Guests are responsible for all applicable State and Federal taxes. A $15 per night reservation fee will be collected at time of booking and may be applied on your behalf to cover hotel taxes at our Orlando destinations. In room safe, long distance phone service, resort amenity fees and room service fees are extra and are the responsibility of guest. Some accommodation Destinations require a $50-$100 refundable deposit collected at time of booking. If you fail to show up (NO SHOW) for a scheduled reservation, you will be charged a nonrefundable fee of $75.00.

Terms of Promotion

This vacation package is an offer designed to promote vacation ownership plans for households with a combined income over $40,000. This offer supersedes all other representations made in regard to this offer, verbal or written. Bearer shall receive the benefits and services described on the first page of this purchase confirmation in exchange for the charges agreed to be paid by participant. Participant understands that the payment vehicle in which he or she provided for payment at the time of offer, either credit card or check draft, shall be automatically debited on the day of the initiation of their order. THE PURCHASER HAS FULL RIGHT TO CANCEL HIS/HER ORDER AT NO PENALTY WITHIN 7-DAYS FROM THE INITIATION OF THEIR ORDER. Cancellation will revoke all benefits including use of any room nights, attraction tickets or other Travel Benefits provided by vendors. The packages fee is non-refundable 7 days after the order date unless otherwise provided for in writing specifically by Summer Bay Resort. Participant must use vacation package within 12 months of purchase and Travel must be completed within 18 months, unless otherwise offered and agreed to by consumer and Summer Bay Resort. Additional surcharges may apply to holiday and peak periods. The retail value of this package varies based on the season. Failure to attend the sales presentation may result in the charge of the retail value of accommodations. Additional surcharges will apply to holiday and peak periods. During peak periods, conventions, holidays or when Summer Bay Resort room allotment is full, Summer Bay Resort reserves the right to substitute a different premier resort destination or hotel accommodations. Participant may reschedule one time with no reschedule penalty. In the event the participant changes dates subsequent to the first rescheduled date, a fee of $50 will apply for each change requested thereafter. Failure to notify us of any changes to your vacation within 72 hours of scheduled check in date will result in the cancellation of your vacation, and the immediate forfeiture of the vacation package and any monies paid. Airfare, transportation, taxes, meals and other incidental costs are not included in this offer and are the responsibility of the purchaser. This is an advance purchase package. Travel related benefits such as Cruise, or other accommodation provider of such travel related benefits, is responsible for the benefits to which it offers and each have independent terms and conditions to which each is responsible for providing to the purchaser in conjunction with such offers independent of Summer Bay Resort terms and conditions. This offer expires November 13, 2010. This is not an offer to sell, or a solicitation of an offer to buy to residents of any state, region or area in which registration, if so required by law for such resort, common carrier or supplier has not been completed. NJ Reg#99/4-872. This offer is not for retail sale and invalid if purchased, bartered, auctioned or not acquired from an authorized sponsor. This offer has no cash value. This offer shall be replaced by an offer of equal or greater value from The Resort on Cocoa Beach for any residents who wish to participate from the State of New York. This offer may be replaced by an offer of equal or greater value from River Pointe Resort, NAPA Valley CA. or Worldwide Travel for any residents who wish to participate from the State of California, Oregon, or Washington. For Missouri Residents: This Notice is provided for compliance with the Missouri Merchandising Practices Act, Chapter 407.610, and as required, a copy has been filed with the Attorney General of Missouri. For Australian Residents: This Notice is provided in compliance with the Consumer Affairs Victoria, Fair Trading Act 1999, Division 2A, Section 67E. This vacation offer may not be used in conjunction with or in place of any other vacation or promotional offer and is invalid for use by distributing agents and their employees. Summer Bay Resort assumes no responsibility for any verbal or written representations made in conjunction with this offer other than those specifically included in this offer. The Owner/Developer of Summer Bay Resort is Summer Bay Partnership, located at 25 Town Center Boulevard, Suite C, Clermont, Florida 34711, telephone #352-242-1100.

This advertising material is being used for the purpose of soliciting sales of vacation ownership plans.

Again, I am going to reiterate the uselessness in calling Summer Bay for anything other than to schedule a reservation to take the vacation. You will only get the runaround if you call them about cancelling. All you have to do is mail in your cancellation letter to the address now contained in the Terms & Conditions. The sales person gave you the website so that you can read your letter of confirmation (and see how vague your accommodations are) and to read the Terms & Conditions (which most people DON'T pay any attention to until it is too late).

I was on Summer Bay's ass for a year because it didn't provide the cancellation contact information ANYWHERE but that has now changed - the address is on the website for everyone to see.
But YOU have to take the responsibility and READ the info provided by this company. You will see that what you thought you bought on the phone differs greatly from what is in your confirmation letter.

Well, now that Summer Bay has made the cancellation information available to you, my work here is done.

Last edited by badlady717 : 06-13-2006 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Edit

Old 06-26-2006, 06:29 AM
Bronze Member

I would like to commend badlady717 for her tireless work in helping others get refunds from Summer Bay Resorts. I was not one of them.. fortunatly. But I was duped by another company with similiar sleazy sales tactics.. but I dont think as bad as SBR. I did get a refund for the money I spent mainly due to another helpfull soul on this web site. And to those of you who have insulted badlady717 and her mother.. you people should be ashamed of yourselves. From her first post she was very polite and to the point with her problems with SBR. And what did you do? Call her stupid and insult her in every way imaginable. Truly pathetic, and not a very good way to get your point accross in support of SBR. Kudos to you badlady717. :o

Old 06-26-2006, 06:52 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Set the Record Straight

Actually I did have some bad experiences with Mc Donalds.. I kept getting flat soda and cold french fries. I am a forgiving person, but after the 3rd time I quit going to mickey d's. Why did it take 3 meals for me to stop going there? Their meals don't cost hundreds if not thousands of dollars. There is a difference between spending 6-7 dollars and 6-7 hundred dollars.. Your comparison is a joke.

Old 06-26-2006, 01:30 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Normally cautious, I’m ashamed to say I also fell into the pop-up trap on Wednesday 14 June. However I printed out the pop-up (Print Screen, new Word document, Paste using Control + V) before phoning to find out about the prize. A marketing guy called Charlie King described the holiday which was a voucher for 2100 USD towards the cost of the holiday (total 19 days including 5 days in Cancun) for 4 people normally costing 2998 USD. I only needed to pay the balance of 898 USD. I remember him saying the cruise was ‘just one ninety-nine per person’. One ninety-nine in any language is £1.99 or 1 Euro 99 cents or even 1 dollar 99 cents, but when it came to the verification it became one hundred and ninety nine dollars per person.. I said I wanted to discuss with my husband first but they said as soon as I left the website the offer was no longer valid and I had to make a decision there and then. Their QA department then recorded my particulars including credit card number.
Got onto SBR web-site to check my account and vacation package and read Terms and Conditions where it explicitly states that ‘the purchaser has full right to cancel his/her order at no penalty within 7 days from the initiation of their order’.

Called the next day and spoke to a Mr Robert Allen of the QA dept and said I had changed my mind and wanted a refund. Surprise, surprise, he tried to tell me that a refund could not be given on promotions, it was like buying jeans in a sale. Only if I had paid full price could I get my money back he said. I quoted the bit about ‘this offer supercedes all other representations made in regard to this offer, verbal or written.’ He said this was just a general clause and did not apply to my promotion package. At that point I went onto the web, googled ‘fraud + summer bay resort’ and found the Scam.com site. So I followed Badlady717’s instructions and faxed my cancellation on Saturday and Sunday, then sent by registered mail on Monday morning and by DHL on Monday afternoon. So the cancellations were well and truly within the 7 days, not only of sending but also of receipt as the DHL arrived on the Wednesday morning and was signed for. That same evening someone from SBR tried to call me but I hadn’t come home from work. He said he would phone again in an hour. I rigged up my tape recorder and put the phone on loudspeaker mode when he called so I have a record of the conversation. Mr Trudesh Patel wanted a good reason for cancelling to be able to give to his superiors, but during the 1 hour’s conversation he did say 3 times that I would get a refund which would take 7-10 working days. (If it isn’t refunded because verbal agreements are not legally binding, then why was my initial agreement binding?) I also asked what the NJ Reg #99/4-872 number was that is given in the Terms and Conditions and was told it was a Better Business Bureau number. Checked this (www.orlando.bbb.org) and wished I had known about it before my encounter with SBR ! 357 complaints have been filed against SBR during the last 3 years. There is also a long list of telephone numbers if you are having trouble contacting them and lots of warnings about scams. You could also make references to the Lake County Attorney, details on http://www.lakegovernment.com/depart.../contacts.aspx .

I don’t doubt that SBR exists, I could have a holiday at one of their places knowing it would not be the standard made out to be and costing more with all extras like taxes and transportation from the one resort to the next, the ‘cruise’ which I naively thought I had won, but the point is, if it clearly stated in the Terms and Conditions of My Vacation Package that you are entitled to a refund if cancelling within 7 days, then they cannot say it does not apply to promotions. So I am waiting for my refund. To be continued……..

Old 06-27-2006, 05:30 AM
Silver Member

Dear, Flipus, thanks for your kind words of support. As for Marina Crawford's issues with Summer Bay.....I can't emphasize enough the total uselessness in calling this company about your cancellation. Just mail, fax, and/or email your letters. DO NOT CALL OR ACCEPT ANY CALLS FROM SUMMER BAY. All they will do is try to talk you out of cancelling by offering "upgrades" or "discounts". More than likely, you will be told that you can't cancel the vacation for one reason or another. You should always cancel any purchase in writing - many states will only recognize WRITTEN cancellations. Plus it will give you proof to show to your bank or credit card company. Summer Bay can always say that it did not receive your request for cancellation if you do it by telephone.

In February I received a "Private Message" from a former SBR Quality Assurance employee who quit because she couldn't deal with the unethical tactics that she was forced to use against purchasers. Below is an excerpt from her email to me (her identity is withheld):

hello..i just wanted to let you know i used to work for summer bay in the quality assurance dept..and there is an (NAME WITHHELD) that used to work there as well and summerbayisgreat(the user on here) is (NAME WITHHELD)..lol..i know this because we used to be roommates..and you hit it dead on on your one post about the quality assurance dept getting commission for saving packages!..we did!!..we got some huge checks some weeks..i honestly could not take it anymore! I had to quit there because it was hell and I hated the way I was told to treat people..and we did munipulate people..we NEVER told them about the cancellation policy..and then when they would call we were told after the 7 days do not cxl them unless they threatened to charge back on their credit cards..no they are not a scam..but they do not tell you all the hidden details what so ever..port and service fees, what kind of hotel you will be staying in, room taxes..and so on and so on........this company is a true pain to deal with and now Aimee is finally out of that company too..we were blinded at the time due to that is what was paying the bills!..we got 5% of total package sales per week if we kept the cancellation rate below 10%..so in other words we had to keep a 90% acceptance rate per week..and that was on top of our $350/week..so for college students..you are talking almost $1000 a week..i learned it was SO not worth it..i would be willing to give out EVERYONE's cell phone and home numbers that i have to be honest so people can cancel these packages..oh yeah..and there is another scam..the insurance they offer when you book your reservations..tell customers do not take it!..its expensive and you will NEVER see a dime of your money back if anything goes wrong..i PROMISE you that..thank you for your time! - (NAME WITHHELD)

SO REMEMBER TO JUST SEND IN YOUR CANCELLATION LETTERS. PRINT OUT YOUR CONFIRMATION LETTER AND THE TERMS & CONDITIONS FROM THE WWW.BEGINMYVACATION.COM WEBSITE - IT CLEARLY SHOWS THE 7 DAY CANCELLATION OPTION. IN ADDITION, THE STATE OF FLORIDA HAS A 3 DAY "COOLING OFF" PERIOD PLUS:

Florida State Statute 559.933
THE FLORIDA STATE LAW MANDATES THAT: "You have a right to cancel your purchase and receive a refund within 30 days of the date of purchase or receipt of the vacation certificate, whichever occurs later. You may also have the right to cancel at anytime if the accommodations or facilities are not available pursuant to a request for use provided in the contract if certain statutory terms and conditions are met. You must advise the seller in writing of your wish to cancel, and include the certificate. The seller has 30 days from the time of receipt of your notice of cancellation to send you a full refund."

The 1994 Florida Statute Title 33 (XXXIII) - REGULATION OF TRADE, COMMERCE, INVESTMENTS, AND SOLICITATIONS 501.059 paragraph 6a states that any company selling over the phone must either offer a 7 day cancellation policy or it isn't allowed to take credit card payment there and then over the phone. If there is no 7 day cancellation period then, by law, the company has to send a written contract, detailing exactly the goods and/or services the consumer is paying for, and wait until that contract has been signed and returned before they can legally take any of your money.

Everything that you need to know about this issue is on the Florida Attorney General's website at:
http://myfloridalegal.com/__85256CC5...256CC900693171

You can also file an online complaint there.

Last edited by badlady717 : 06-27-2006 at 05:37 AM. Reason: EDIT

Old 06-29-2006, 08:20 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Dear All,

A GAZILLION thanks to Badlady and all those contributors that have taken their time to save the "gullible" like me - looks like the target market is increasingly continental Europe now ........ and our weakness in hearing/reading speedy American English doesnt help ......

MARINA.....DID YOU RECEIVE YOUR REFUND?

I thought i was street smart until I fell for the "you have won a holiday" pop up screen (that i still dont know where in the world came from) and very unsuspectingly parted with about 900 USD yesterday (28th June).
I had an uncomfortable feeling about it after the pressure i was put through to say YES to the whole deal on phone and decided to research on scams and fell upon this discussion string and couldnt believe my eyes !!! When reading the terms & conditions i didnt even fit into the profile of the people the deal was meant for !!!!!

I incessantly called them yesterday and today (29th) plus sent an email (post going out tonight) and about an hour ago ..... someone who was very gentle with me confirmed that they have refunded my payment. I went to the "begin my vacation" site and the transaction thread indicated that a Refund has been made and when i called they informed me that i will get it within 7 days.

My situation/experience with them is EXACTLY like Marina's - only that i had also been told that i could easily sell it for much more on E-BAY et al and when i went on EBAY there were suprisingly many similar vacations for sale from people who probably fell for the same trick !!!!!!!

I would like to know if Marina or any of you had this indicated on your allocated personal site and if you DID INDEED receive your refund.

What a time-waster and mind twister !!!!!!!!

Hey but look on the bright side - we are all smarter than when we got into the whole mess and are now aware that no matter how careful we are - we are still prone to someone's very smartly studied psychological marketing tactics......so much for responsible marketing !

I have never learnt so much about the laws surrounding commerce in such a short time (Euro-residents, check out the OECD & EU e-consumer guides) !!!!

Have a smart weekender .........and remember some wise old saying ......."whenever something sounds too good to be true......it probably is...."

ANOTHERBITESTHEDUST

Old 07-04-2006, 05:57 AM
I am new at Scam.com

I don't know about this company, but I know RCI plays similar games. The only place you can book without paying an additional fee(to the yearly membership fee) is Orlando, Florida. For any other location in the United States, you have to pay a substantial additional fee. Good luck trying to find another location that is available. We called 8 months in advance, and they were "booked". Just because someone is approved by the BBB does not make them entirely ethical.

Old 07-05-2006, 07:48 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Ugly duckling wanting to fill you in!!!!

I to was an unwilling purchaser of a holiday from Summer Bay Resorts!!!
I thought the whole thing was fair dinkum but much to my disgust it wasn't!!!
They attempted to debit $900 from my credit card!! I jumped on the net found that Summer Bay Resorts holidays were a scam and quickly followed BADLADY717's instructions The same day I had e-mailed about 6 of the people that badlady717 said to and the following morning I sent 2 letters to the address in badlad717's thread!! I kept checking my account and 8 days later the money had dropped off of my account. Then 10 days later they had returned the $698! I checked this on my holiday account at beginmyvacation.com and my holiday had been cancelled!

Although it was not over.................... I went to the bank to pay money on my credit card and was dissapointed to find that i have $500 sitting in what they call temp buys! They may have cancelled my holiday that i didn't want in the first place and given my money back, but now they have taken $500 that isn't even theres, well nearly taken!! Don't you think that if cancel something they should throw away your credit card number????? Na it doesn't work like that.!!! Now I hav to play the waiting game again and see if this money is debited or not! I'm sick of there games and I don't understand why they are taking more of my money!!! I can honestly say that this is a lesson learned! I will let you know how i get on and if they return the rest of my money!!! GOOD LUCK TO ANYONE ELSE IN MY SITUATION AND IF THIS HAS HAPPENED TO YOU WHERE THEY HAVE RETURNED MONEY AND THEN TAKEN IT AGAIN PLEASE LEAVE YOUR POST ON THIS THREAD! I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR HOW YOU SOLVED IT!!! A HUGE THANKS ALSO TO BADLADY717 YOUR INFO WAS GREAT!!!! IF YOU TO ALSO READ THIS BEFORE I SEND YOU A PERSONAL MESSAGE PLEASE LET ME KNOW HOW I CAN SOLVE THIS PROBLEM?!!!?!?!!?!!? THANKS

Old 07-05-2006, 06:18 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Hi Everyone !

Just to let you know that following badladys instructions, I had the money full refunded back to my a/c.

The only damage was international exchange rates and only lost 30 Euro in the whole process but too glad to see it as much money.

Whoa, what a lesson......

Wishing you all the best UGLY DUCKLING ...... dont give up ! i think if you read all threads related to SBR you will find something related to chasing up money.

Cheers !

Old 07-05-2006, 10:18 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Marina here again. Sorry for not updating sooner. Believe it or not, I did get my refund as promised by Mr Trudesh Patel. The day after his 1 hour phone call to me, it said "Cancellation and Refund - Status Active" on My Vacation Package page, and after 6 days on 21 June it said Refund/Credit - Status Completed. I thought Ah ha, they are trying to fob me off with a Credit note instead of giving me a refund, but when I phoned my credit card company ( Mastercard), sure enough, the money had been refunded in full minus the difference in the exchange rate which was acceptable. I am greatly indebted to Badlady717 for her selfless efforts and tenacity in getting SBR to put their terms and conditions on the web page, without which all of us mugs wouldn't have had a clue which way to turn. However, today when I read Anotherbitesthedust and Ugly Duckling's comments about getting a refund then being debited 500 USD by SBR once again, I phoned Mastercard right away and made sure they hadn't done that to me. Seemingly Mastercard cannot block a payment to SBR, but they explained that they had made a note of the date and time of my warning to them and that if SBR debited me again without authorisation, Mastercard would refund me. So you could all warn your card companies in advance. Another thing: don't just write cc: Mr Charlie Christ, Florida Attorney General on your faxes - include his fax number +1 850-410 1630 and send it to him so he knows what's going on in his state.
How can we stop SBR's unethical marketing methods? When I tried to log off the internet at work this afternoon, the same SBR pop-up showed on the screen as on the 14 June - I was the lucky winner of exactly the same cruise as last time, etc, etc. SBR are still out there preying on people, and no-one finds this site until it is too late. How can we make life difficult for them? Lodge complaints with the Better Business Bureau in Lake County Florida where they are registered? Any other suggestions?
Good luck to everyone who is still waiting for their refund.
Thanks again, Badlady, without you we would all have been up **** creek without a paddle.

Old 07-18-2006, 10:55 PM
I am new at Scam.com

I filled out a survey and when i was done the screen said that i won a free 3 day 2 night vacation through summer bay and i could stay at a selected hotel. once i called they refused to discuss my vacation with me. Instead they tried to sell me on a vacation package that included a 6 night 5 day vacation in orlando, a 3 day 2 night vacation in daytona and a 4 day 3 night cruise to the bahamas where you would leave from frot lauderdale. I declined the offer since i had been offered the same package from an agency in florida and i had a bad experience. i did not authorize them to remove money from one of my accounts but i gave them the info to hold until i got the other account information. They removed the money and when i called back to complain they gave me the run around. i was on the phone for about 2-3 hours and they were very rude to me. i finally got a reasonable person and they refunded my money. I still receive phone calls from his agency, but i'm not sure of the name. It could be summer bay. I tried to explain my problem but they didn't care. They just wanted my credit card information and they started to get really pushy and annoyed. The person i was talking to finally just hung up on me because he couldn't convince me to give him my cedit card information. This has to be a scam. The first people I dealt with scammed me and almost got away with it. They were offering the same scam and they became so frustrated that they hung up on me. Don't think that the person who hung up on me was the only one frustrated but the person i spoke with before him began to raise his voice and gave the phone to the person who eventually hung up on me. Of course, i didn't receive my 3 day 2 night vacation.

Old 07-19-2006, 06:00 AM
Silver Member

Marina - You Go, Girl!!! It's your tenacity and refusal to give up which Summer Bay is not prepared to deal with. That's what has made me a thorn in its side for the past year. They want folks who will just walk away, leaving their money behind them because the purchaser doesn't want to waste any more time. I'm not talking about walking away from $9.99 or even $99.99 - there are people who give up hundreds of dollars during the initial sales call and then don't request (and fight for) a refund nor take the trip. Of course, booking the trip will take more money out of your pocket but.....DAMN!!! :confused:

Anyway, STOP wasting money calling these people after you send your cancellation letters. I know that I'M just wasting MY time saying this because you will just ignore me and pick up the phone anyway! But, in the meantime, take Marina's advice and fax copies of your cancellation letters and supporting documents to the Florida Attorney General's Office at (850) 410-1630. You can also file and online complaint with him at:

http://myfloridalegal.com/pages.nsf 4492D797DC0BD92F85256CB80055FB97/60FD9BD8FA71A5B185256CD1005EE5C5OpenDocument

As always......GOOD LUCK!!!

Old 07-20-2006, 10:27 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Summer Bay Resorts - Updated for Australians

A cautionary tale for fellow Aussies and anyone else who has been duped by Summer Bay Resort.....and a big thankyou to Bad Lady for her invaluable advice in helping me getting ALL of my money back.

My experience with this company was thus:
Thursday July 6th I was alerted via an internet pop up that I'd won a holiday.I dialled the number on the screen and was persuaded to pay for USD 225 of a USD 898 vacation package to Summer Bay. Balance was to be paid in monthly installments.

Day 1 Fri July 7th Amex calls me to confirm I authorised the purchse (amount
not discussed) I agreed to it.

Day 2 Sat July 8th I found this thread on scam.com.
Checked Credit card statement on line, no charges made as yet.
Unable to send hard copy letter to Summer Bay as our post offices are not
open on the weekends.

Day 3 Sun July 9th needed to get to the latest posting in scam.com to make sure I had the right address and fax numbers for Summer Bay.

Day 4 Monday July 10th faxing cancellation letter to + 1 407 260 7008 and + 1 352 241 6722 multiple times and retaining fax report to prove transmission was successful. When faxing to the US from Australia, the prefix is not 0011 but 0015,country code then fax number. Find they took not only the full AUD 898 but an extra dollar to add insult to injury when I checked my account on their website.

Day 5 Monday July 10th emailed to the following from BadLady's 05/25/06 posting that I wanted to cancel my order:
* Paul Caldwell SBR Attorney & Registered Agent pcaldwell@summerbayresort.com
* James Baker, Marketing Manager jbaker@summerbayresort.com
* Carlos Cukier carlos@accessrsi.com
* BrandonBizar BBizar@summerbayresort.com

Day 6 Tuesday July 11th Faxed them copies of the emails I sent to the addresses provided, faxed the cancellation letter 10 times along with proof that the faxes were successfully sent.

Day 7 Wednesday July 12th Hard copy of cancellation letter posted to Summer Bay Retained Registered Post Customer Receipt dated the same day. All of the above- mentioned information was faxed to American Express' Fraud Dept.

All charges were refunded by Thursday 13th July. American Express has also refunded me the difference in exchange rate. Be sure to ask for this.

American Express are well aware of Summer Bay Resort and have been very
obliging. The American Express operator who I spoke to also mentioned that
in spite of their under-handed sales tactics, Summer Bay is a legitimate
company. She had even heard of people going on these hollidays. Like the reviews on the travel websites I suppose there has been a mixed bag of feedback from all over the globe.

However, I'm personally overjoyed not to be giving my business to a company
with such little regard for ethics. Perhaps it's their sales driven culture that leads to such dishonesty but that leaves no room for any integrity, goodwill or opportunities for fostering good customer relationships.

Had it not been for the brazen snatching of money, I might even have been content to take the vacation.

I'm glad BadLady has highlighted the cancellation clause and I was able exercise my right. There has been some expense associated with posting my cancellation letter, faxing to Summer Bay and American Express (in all 31 pages of documentation) but it was a lesson learnt.

I sincerely hope they enjoyed being buried by the copious amounts of information because I certainly enjoyed providing it.

Best of luck to those coming behind me. Please act quickly should you wish to take advantage of the 7 day cancellation clause.

Refunder from Down Under

Old 07-30-2006, 08:03 PM
Bronze Member

Re: Summber Bay Is A Great Company

Quote:
The third grader gets a B- on this!
No Need To Capitalize Every Word!
:D Gotta Love Capatalizing Each Word, Now That I'm Typing It, I Realize What A Pain In The Butt It Is. :p

Old 07-30-2006, 08:10 PM
The Ultimate Moderater

Re: Summber Bay Is A Great Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipus
:D Gotta Love Capatalizing Each Word, Now That I'm Typing It, I Realize What A Pain In The Butt It Is. :p

Timeshare is one of the largest scams in the world!!! People get suckered in to buying and thinking it's the cheapest and best way to vacation. And for another thing, the sales reps are lower than scum, about as bad or worse than carsalesmen. You gotta be a piece of horse**** to sell that crap. Liars, thieves, crackaddicts and scummy *****s work in that field!

They should ban Timeshare! :mad:

Old 08-05-2006, 06:21 AM
Vashudeva; Ferryman - doing the work...

Stay after these scammers. Make them straighten up their act or cease!

In all honesty though, who would want anything to do with any 'operation'

'activity' that obviously establishes itself on a footing, basis of being

a 'con-type' operation and nothing else.

It all seems to come down to sort of hit and run tatics: they run these

rip offs and scams on as many people as quickly as they can and then

drop out of sight, Later to emerge under another name with a similiar

racket operation.

Situations like this is the reason I got really sick and fed-up with "time-share"

arrangements years ago.

It has really always puzzled me why these people attempt to set theirself

up with the pretense of offering the public a desirable and honest deal

when obviously eventually the public will see them for the seamy

shysters that they really are!

Old 08-05-2006, 09:32 AM
Silver Member

The BBB is not entirely reliable.
I'll make a summary of my case to show that:
EXPEDIA has a reliable report at the BBB but they went the extra mile to keep 1,254.95 USD they charged in my credit card for an airline ticket they failed to deliver (twice) and failed to arrange my trip with the airline.
This was EXPEDIA's official response about this issue:

1) First, EXPEDIA tried to make it look as if it was my fault and they reimbursed me part of the ticket (800 U$D) they never delivered. Is this fair? Does it make sense? Why EXPEDIA will reimburse money if it they are sure it was my fault? They just try to make me happy with 800 U$D and actually steal the rest of my money because EXPEDIA actually never provided the service (this is simply fraud).

2) EXPEDIA tried to steal the rest of the money. It didn’t work: With the help of my credit card (VISA) I recovered another 429.99U$D.

3) At this point, EXPEDIA still kept 59.99 because EXPEDIA charged my credit card in a way to cheat me and my credit card. It didn’t work again. With the help of my credit card I recovered the rest 59.99 U$D. This was after almost 7 month. Does an honest company keep customers money for seven months? This long delay only showed that EXPEDIA tried to steal (and failed) my money no matter what. I could recover that money because my credit card fought for me and because I showed them overwhelming evidence of EXPEDIA’s lies.

4) EXPEDIA claims that I could not use the ticket I bought because the airline gave me wrong information. If this is true, EXPEDIA can provide me with names and dates when EXPEDIA contacted the airline to arrange for my trip. If I have that information I can stop bothering EXPEDIA and complain to the airline. Moreover, EXPEDIA can show that is an honest organization that care about their customers. I asked many times for this information but EXPEDIA was not able or did not want to give that information. Why? Because in fact, EXPEDIA never arranged my trip, thus, EXPEDIA has no proof of what they claim

5) I forwarded to EXPEDIA e-mails from the airline where the airline tells me that they tried to contact EXPEDIA and EXPEDIA never responded. EXPEDIA responses were several “automated” responses (since early april-2006) telling me that someone “in the appropriate department” is working on my case. But no one from EXPEDIA called me or e-mailed me after that.

6) The last thing EXPEDIA did was to disable my account I had with them (and I use to send e-mail to them) and completely ignore my e-mails I send using another e-mail address.

After many lies I decided to run a website (victimsofexpedia.com to alert as many people as I can.

IF this guy (from FREE ENTERPRISE?) think that I'm ruining EXPEDIA's reputation with a "single case" search "EXPEDIA complaints" in Google or Yahoo and you will read hundreds of other horrible stories.

Another important thing: EXPEDIA know exactly who I'm, where I live and I also informed EXPEDIA about my site since the moment I created. I asked EXPEDIA many times if something I wrote there is wrong. EXPEDIA never responded my messages. EXPEDIA doesn't care about customers, they just want to make money no matter what.

So, guys from scam.com: keep doing the good job. :)

Last edited by Doe3001 : 08-05-2006 at 09:34 AM.

Old 08-05-2006, 06:29 PM
I am new at Scam.com

To Free Enterprise and others; according to the attached link the Better Business Bureau may be the biggest scam of all!

LINK= http://badbusinessbureau.com/reports/ripoff1343.htm