report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER
Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Hotel Scams
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2005, 02:47 PM
Silver Member

Summer Bay Resorts - Updated

MOD NOTE: THIS IS THE MOST CURRENT CANCELLATION INFORMATION POSTED ON 07-17-2009 BY BADLADY717

UPDATED CANCELLATION INFO
============

PLEASE SEND A WRITTEN REQUEST TO CANCEL TO:

Summer Bay Resorts - Cancellations
25 Towne Center Blvd.
Clermont, FL 34714

US Buyers - Send letter via USPS Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation. Do not pay for Signature Confirmation - your proof of mailing and proof of delivery is all that's required. Don't worry about WHEN the letter is received, as long as it is postmarked within the 7-day period.

Foreign Buyers - Use whatever mailing system which will provide you with proof of the date that you mailed the letter. Again, when it gets to Summer Bay is not as important as when the letter is postmarked.

Here are also some email addresses to use:

JBaker@summerbayresort.com (he’s good about processing refunds)
pcaldwell@summerbayresort.com (he is SBR’s attorney and registered corporate agent)
carlos@accessrsi.com
Carlos_cukier@att.blackberry.net
kbranch@accessri.com
customercare@summerbayresort.com

Sending your letter via email also is just a back-up system and often gets your refund processed faster. But you still have to send in a cancellation letter via a postal or other delivery service to ensure that it was actually received by Summer Bay Resort. Fedex, UPS, and other such shipping companies are too expensive when the postal service gets it done a lot cheaper. REMEMBER - the date of delivery is not relevant so spending on Fedex Overnight or Express Mail is not worth it. Just get to the post office within the 7 day cancellation period and you will be fine.

Be sure to include your email address and phone number in your cancellation letter. Go to www.beginmyvacation.com or www.mysummerbay.com and log on using your email address and phone number given to the sales agent at time of purchase. There you will find your "Confirmation Letter" and "Terms & Conditions". Include the Package Code, Price, and Thread # in your letter. IMPORTANT: If you are running out of time, i.e., down to the last day or two in the 7-day cancellation option, and you have trouble logging on, don't worry about including that additional info - your email address and phone number will be sufficient.

Be sure to print out a copy of the Confirmation Letter and Terms & Conditions and keep that with your copy of the cancellation letter and proof of mailing.

I'M GOING TO SAY THIS AGAIN, ALTHOUGH IT APPEARS THAT NO ONE PAYS ATTENTION TO WHAT I'VE BEEN TELLING YOU FOR ALMOST THREE (3) YEARS:

DO NOT WASTE TIME AND MONEY CALLING IN YOUR CANCELLATION!! IF YOU ARE VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY LUCKY, YOU MAY GET AN AGENT WITH SOME INTEGRITY WHO WILL REFUND YOUR MONEY. MORE LIKELY YOU WILL GET ONE WHO WILL TRY TO TALK YOU OUT OF CANCELING OR LOWER THE PRICE OR EVEN TALK YOU INTO SPENDING MORE MONEY FOR AN "UPGRADE". OR, EVEN WORSE, TELL YOU THAT "ONLY A MANAGER CAN PROCESS REFUNDS AND ONE WILL CALL YOU RIGHT BACK". WHICH, IF IT HAPPENS, WILL BE DONE AFTER YOUR 7 DAYS HAS PASSED AND THEN YOU WILL BE TOLD THAT IT IS TOO LATE. I AM STILL WAITING FOR A RETURN CALL FROM MAY 2005, FROM ABOUT 4 DIFFERENT "MANAGERS". IT REALLY PISSES ME OFF WHEN I GET THESE URGENT, OH-PLEASE-HELP-ME EMAILS FROM PEOPLE WHO THOUGHT THEY WOULD GET A REFUND QUICKER BY CALLING AND HAVE BEEN BAMBOOZLED OUT OF CANCELING WITHIN THE TIME ALLOTTED THEM BY SUMMER BAY. I CAN'T HELP YOU IF YOU DON'T FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS WRITTEN CLEARLY HERE. EVERY PERSON WHO HAS DONE WHAT I HAVE POSTED HERE HAS GOTTEN THEIR MONEY BACK.

For unbiased reviews from travelers who have stayed at Summer Bay, go to:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...rida.html#MIDC

You can also file a complaint with the Florida Attorney General’s office online at:
http://myfloridalegal.com/__85256CC5...256CC900693171

and the Federal Trade Commission at www.ftc.gov

Good Luck!

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Original Post

My 80 year-old mother was called by the marketing team for Summer Bay Resort to sell her a vacation package. After a 30 minute strong arm sales pitch, they got my mother to give up her checking account information, stating that they would wait for her to get back with them before debiting her account for a $299 deposit. She told them that she had to talk to her husband and me, her daughter who handles her business, before she could commit. She was assured that she had a 7 day cancellation period to make her final decision. They gave her a website (www.beginmyvacation.com) but no other contact information. She told me about it a few days later. I went on the website and there was nothing there except a "confirmation letter" addressed to my mother. None of the other links really went any where. No phone numbers, adddresses, or email address for those who wanted to exercise the cancellation policy which just happened to be in very small, light colored print in the middle of the confirmation information. I spent the 6 hours trolling the internet to find whatever I could about Summer Bay Resorts - NOTHING!!! So I looked the company up on Switchboard and got this addresses: 17805 W. US Highway 192; Clermont, FL 34711-4836 Phone: 352-242-1100 and 800-469-6130. More research resulted in the following contact info:

M. Eddie Avegno, Marketing Quality Assurance
SUMMER BAY RESORT
17805 W. US Highway 192
Clermont, FL 34711-4836
800-742-1100 x7919
fax: 352-242-2669

Mitch Lokken, Quality Assurance Team
SUMMER BAY RESORT
7700 Southland Blvd #160
Orlando, FL 32809
fax-407-447-6841

SUMMER BAY RESORT
Customer Service-Cancellations
25 Town Center Blvd.
Clermont, FL 34714
800-803-9534

If you have given your checking or credit account number, you must move quickly. Don't bother calling any of the numbers - you will only get the runaround as you are transferred to one number after another. First, call your bank or credit card company and put them on notice that you are cancelling this transaction and that you never authorized the charge due to the 7 day cancellation period. Then write a cancellation letter to the addresses and names above that have fax numbers. Fax the cancellation letter immediately. Then mail a copy to the two addresses with fax numbers, Priority Mail with delivery confirmation requiring a signature. That should get it there in 7 days, although legally a document is considered "received" for the purposes of cancellation on the day it is mailed. I would send a copy of the letter to all of the addresses I have provided, just to be on the safe side.

Once Summer Bay Resort realizes that I have given out its much-guarded contact numbers, I'm sure they will be disconnected, but you still have the addresses and as long as you take advantage of the mail you should be OK. Plus, keep copies of your letters and proof of mailing to show to your bank or credit card company. Although SBR claims to be taping the conversation and will insist that you agreed to the debits on your account, the point still remains that they themselves have offered a 7 day cancellation period - they just make it so that you can't exercise the option because they have denied you any contact info:

Below is the TERMS AND CONDITIONS that SBR hopes you won't read, but it is on the website in a tiny scrolling box and on one of the pages, you have the option to click a link to get a "printable copy of your vacation letter" and it is on the second page of that doc:

TERMS AND CONDITIONS
REQUIREMENTS: 1. Two forms of identification are required to check-in such as a valid driver's license and a major credit card. 2. In order to qualify for this complimentary vacation package, you are required to attend a courteous sales presentation and tour of our sponsoring resort properties including Summer Bay Resort. (Approx. 90 minutes during breakfast or lunch on one of the days during your stay.) 3. To participate you must be at least 21 years of age. If married both husband and wife must attend the tour and sales presentation together. Total combined annual household income must be 40,000 or more to qualify. 4. No groups or multiple couples may travel together on this promotion; this offer is for individual couples or families only. 5. This announcement is not an offer to sell or a solicitation of an offer to buy to residents of any State in which registration has not been completed. TERMS OF PROMOTION: This offer supersedes all other offers made in regard to this offer, verbal or written. Bearer shall receive the benefits and services described on the reverse of this purchase confirmation in exchange for the charges also therein described. Participant understands that the payment vehicle in which he or she provided for payment, either credit card or check draft, shall be automatically debited on the day OF the initiation of their phone order. (See transaction data on the reverse side.) THE PURCHASER HAS FULL RIGHT TO CANCEL HIS/HER ORDER AT NO PENALTY ANYTIME DURING THE INITIAL 7-DAY PERIOD. Cancellation will revoke all benefits including use of any complimentary room nights, attraction tickets or other Travel Benefits provided by vendors with the exception of the 2 promotional nights offered by Summer Bay Resort just for reviewing this special Cruise and Attraction ticket offer and previewing their resort. The fee shown on the reverse is Non-Refundable 7 days after the order date. All Resort, Hotel, and Cruise offers are provided for and fulfilled by vendors who advertise or promote their travel related services to Preferred Guests. Travel must be completed within 18 months of the transaction date. Please make your reservation request 30 or more days in advance of your desired arrival date to avoid priority booking fees. Additional surcharges will apply to holiday and peak periods. You will be responsible for an arrival fee of $11 per night. You will be responsible for a $2 per day per room usage fee upon booking. Failure to appear on the scheduled check-in date is an immediate forfeit of the vacation package. Attraction tickets may be collected following the sales presentation. Airfare, transportation, taxes and meals are not included in this offer. Each respective provider of such travel related benefits is responsible for the benefits to which it offers and such offers have independent terms and conditions to which each is responsible for providing in conjunction with such offers. This offer is not an offer to sell, or a solicitation of an offer to buy to residents of any state in which registration, if so required by such Resort, common carrier or supplier has not been completed. This vacation package is an offer for a vacation ownership plan and is filed by Summer Bay Resort. Complete details in offering plan provided by sponsor. This advertising material is being used for the purpose of soliciting the sale of Vacation ownership plans.

I hope this helps you. The bank was very cooperative with us because I had so much evidence of the scam and because I showed that we had cancelled within the 7 day period. Even if the debit is made, the bank will refund the money once you fill out an Unauthorized Automatic Debit form, stating that you did not authorize the debit. It should be even easier with the credit card companies if you let them know the debit was unauthorized due to cancellation and due to the scam tactics involved. BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY, NEVER GIVE OUT YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION WITHOUT A WRITTEN OFFER FROM THE VENDOR. IF THEY ARE HONEST, THEY WILL SEND YOU SOMETHING TO READ BEFORE ASKING FOR YOUR FINANCIAL INFO.

Last edited by No_Moron_Here : 07-18-2009 at 07:43 AM. Reason: Edited per request from badlady717

Old 05-11-2005, 03:14 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Summer Bay Resort

Clermont, FL 34711-4836

That's all you need to know.

Good luck!

Keep us posted.

Old 05-11-2005, 07:32 PM
Silver Member

Since I posted my last letter concerning the problems with this vacation package, I managed to find the direct contact information for cancellations:

P.O. Box 947720
Maitland, FL 32794
800-803-9534 - tel
407-875-0152 - fax

This information should be supplied with Terms and Conditions which claim that the purchaser has 7 days to cancel. However, I have to call no less than 10 phone numbers, the first of which I found after 6 hours trolling the internet. I kept getting the runaround, but I faxed a cancellation letter to every fax number I was able to squeeze out of some unsuspecting Customer Service Rep. I also sent a copy of the letter to each address I found (a total of 6). Finally, I found the Cancellation Department and after some difficulty I got the address. In their defense, I was given the fax number immediately. Well, guess what? MY MOTHER'S $299 WAS REFUNDED TODAY!!!! We had already submitted documents to her bank attesting to the fact that (a) she did not authorize the charge even though she did give out her account number, and (2) we are exercising her 7 day right to cancel. I guess after I wore out their fax machines for 3 days and threatened to send copies of my letters to the Florida Attorney General, three Florida Senators and our personal attorneys, they decided to throw in the towel.

And remember, most banks have a policy of investigating unauthorized charges against your checking/debit account as long as you dispute the charge within 60 days. Credit card companies have the same policy. EXERCISE YOUR RIGHTS!!! :eek: DON'T GIVE UP BY LETTING THESE PEOPLE GIVE YOU THE RUNAROUND. JUST USE THE CANCELLATION CONTACT INFO ABOVE OR DISPUTE THE CHARGE WITH YOUR BANK/CREDIT CARD COMPANY.

I hope my research and effort can help someone else. :cool:

Old 05-20-2005, 05:25 AM
I am new at Scam.com

I've just recieved an automated marketing call which then connects through to a live person. I am so glad this board exists. I don't think the Summer Bay Resort offer is a total scam, but less knowledgeable consumers must be VERY careful.

I pointed out again and again to the lady on the call that I do NOT give out my cerdit card details to anyone over the phone when I have not chosen to phone them in the first place. There is absolutely no way we can verify even that they work for Summer Bay Resorts let alone anyone else. Anyone can direct you to a website, a phone number etc. She was insistant that I have "won" a free holiday (which stangely costs £313!) but I can only claim it by giving her my credit card details. I tried my best to explain to her that when you walk into a shop you are not asked for your credit card as soon as you walk in - you collect your gods first and then pay. Eventually she gave up on me using the tactic of just disconnecting herself midsentence (to make it look like a mistake).

I checked out Summer Bay Resort anyway and I can book a full week there for $419 (about £220) plus a booking fee of around £50 through another company I promote myself anyway and also know I won't be pestered by a timeshare tout when I get there. Hence, this "free" holiday was not particularly good value anyway considering I could buy it direct from a company I trust at a lower price.

Caveat Emptor - please anyone else, BEWARE. NEVER give out your credit (and certainly not your debit card) details to anyone who calls you.

By the way, I asked how she got my phone number in the first place and she said it was because I had used my credit card at a major UK retail store such as John Lewis, Marks & Spencer etc. - well, who doesn't?!

I also asked how many people had won this holiday and she said around 500 people (they have 250 places to fill). It will be interesting to see if we get more than 500 people on this thread!?

I dare say Summer Bay Resort gets a very bad reputation using these sort of tactics. It's daft really having such a hard sell - I believe timeshares in general are not that bad as long as you buy away from the resort. You will always pay top price at the resort and you'll be away from your senses in glorious sunshine etc. Always make such purchase decisions at home and take your time. You can usually get a cheap second hand timeshare online from people who got caught out by a fluent sales person at the resort.

Old 06-01-2005, 09:15 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Just got caught today..but i am calling to cancell the stupid $9.95 promotional trip offer. I wish i read this earlier!!!!

Old 06-02-2005, 05:30 PM
I am new at Scam.com

I got called last week from SBR and was told I won a free 2 night, 3 day, stay at one of their resorts because I had filled out a survey online, which I did. They said that it required a $9.95 holding fee but that was the only fee I would be charged with the exception of taxes on the room plus any additional fees such as telephone usage, etc.
My question to the group is what is a scam about this. I mean I filled out a survey, I won a free trip, granted it cost 10 bucks which made me curious about it (hence the visit to this website), but no other costs associated, at least any that they told me about.
I've been to their webpage, and while yes its not good at all, you can find the addresses to the hotels and all the other info off of other webpages found through google or wherever.
I understand about the 3hr promotional, but sometimes 3hours can be worth a couple hundred bucks.
Please let me know whats bad about this. I mean a 10 buck hotel stay for 2 nights is a pretty good deal.
Please advise....
thanks

Old 06-03-2005, 07:51 AM
Silver Member

My issue with SBR was the fact that it gave a 7-day cancellation option. However, on the websites that were given to us, there was no further contact information as to where to write or call to cancel. Yes, you can get the addresses to the various resorts but when you contact them about cancellation or further information, they don't know anything about it and can only transfer you to one "manager" to another - with no resolution. It took me 3 days and dozens of phone calls to get the needed information and I got that through "back door" means. What made me (and several other people suspicious about this vacation were the reviews at

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...t_Florida.html

Some of them are good but it is the bad ones which scared us. And we had been taken initially for more that $9.95. My mother had been taken for $299 and I've had other people tell me that they paid up to $800.:eek: So count yourself lucky. Go on the vacation and pray that you get booked into the Summer Bay Resort and not one of their "sister hotels" (read about them in the review forum) and hope you don't get hit with any of the "additional charges" (the reservation fee, room "taxes", transportation fees, fees to get clean towels and linens, etc). You just may have a good time - some people do. But we chose not to take the chance based on being "forewarned". Let me know how it goes for you. Good luck. :D

Last edited by badlady717 : 06-03-2005 at 07:54 AM.

Old 06-09-2005, 06:31 PM
I am new at Scam.com

This company is actually not a scam, I bought one of their vacation packages and I used it already. No they do not tell you about most of the hidden fees such as port and service fees, room taxes, etc. but they do provide you with a vacation. The rooms are really crappy though! They do provide you with your customer service number when you get the call which is 800-stay-vip..and if you want to cancel of course they are going to try to talk you out of it, that is part of their job, but they will let you cancel if you are within that 7 days if you are persistant. I was also told by a representative, Tammy, that if you live in CA, NY, AK, Hawaii, CAN, WA, and a few other states that they have to cancel your package no matter what because they do not have a license to promote time share there. And by the way when you take the tour its not actually 90 minutes, they kept my husband and i there for almost 3 hours and we never asked a single question. This company isnt actually a fraud, they just arent that honest what so ever. When you call that number to cancel they transfer you to their cancellation dept with whom i spoke with an amy burk, she was a total witch. She informed me of my recission period, which of course like a dumby i had not fully read my terms and conditions and there it was under number 7. But she was totally and completely rude. She sounds like a little 12 year old girl if you want my honest oppinion, and she tries to use really big words but uses them all out of context and sounds totally ignorant. She should honestly be fired. I then spoke with her supervisor, i believe her name was either Karen or Kim, i cant really remember, she was a lot nicer, she gave me half off of my package just so i would travel. That sort of made up for the room taxes and i didnt take the cruise because with a family of 5, the cruise would have been almost $1000 alone. If you are reading this and you are within 7 days and you are expecting top notch hotels and no more money to come out of your pocket, call and cancel now. But if you realize that you are getting a deeply discounted vacation package and dont mind the inn at summerbay(which is worse than a motel 6) and are willing to pay the room taxes, then keep it. You definitley get what you pay for that is for sure. And they also keep recordings on file of your conversations so if you are charged with a condominium upgrade that you did not authorize(like myself) then they should be able to pull up that recording and refund that for you(like myself.) If you call to cancel and get amy burk, immediately ask to speak to someone whom is higher up than her, she is very unprofessional and i cannot understand why she would work anywhere near people?

Old 06-09-2005, 07:36 PM
Silver Member

I'm glad that you had a pleasant experience and I have told the concerned people who have contacted me personally that very thing - that many people have no problems at all with this company. But I did! I am a consumer activist and a researcher and it took me every bit 4 days to get the cancellation number and address. I was put off by no less than 20 people and transferred, put on hold for up to 30 minutes, and hung up on. I am ver persistant and ended up calling every Summer Bay Resort that exists. No one knew anything about the cancellation contact info. I finally spent 2 hours on the phone with a young man at a number I found somewhere on a vacation forum site on the internet. I refused to be put off (he was a little younger and less experienced than the previous CSRs I had spoken to). I let him put me on hold four times while he went to find a "manager" who never came to the phone. The next day, I used the number he gave me and when the CSR asnswered she gave her name. I hung up and called back and told the next CSR that the previous CSR who I called by name was waiting for a fax from me and I had apparently written the fax number down incorrectly. At first she did not have the number at hand but eventually found it and gave it to me. I faxed a cancellation letter immediately. Then I called the number back and told the third CSR that I needed a mailiing address to send to hard copy of a fax I just sent. It took her a minute (she hesitated, telling me that there was no address - I told her that she was sitting somewhere at that moment and that's the address I wanted). Another young thing, she thought about what I said for a minute, realized that it made sense (DUH!) and gave me the mailing address. I sent a copy of the cancellation letter over night. Now, Summer Bay Resorts did refund our money immediately upon receiving the letter. I have to give them that much credit and I tell everyone who contacts me that. But people should not have to troll the internet to find their websites. Once you get there, in the tiniest box they could find, the company did give you the Terms and Conditions and it was in all of that dicta that I found the 7-day cancellation option, but with no contact information anywhere on the sites (beginmyvacation.com and vacations.summerbayresort.com) - just that 1-888-STAY-VIP number where my four day odyssey began. They don't give out any information at that number. And none of the actual resorts are the places where cancellations are done (I was told that by a person at the tenth number I dialed, who told me that I had found the right department - FINALLY!!!).

In addition, I got a lot of negative review on this resort at

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g34142-d218800-Reviews-j4-Summer_Bay_Resort-Clermont_Florida.html[/url]

There are good stories and bad stories, but it was the level of the bad reviews that bothered me. Check it out yourself and you will see that you were one of the lucky ones - and there are quite a few of them. But the people who are not as fortunate as you were really get beaten. I did not want my elderly parents to be in that club!

I have never said that this was a scam - I merely stated the facts as they happened to me. People interpreted the way they wanted to. Many people contacted me personally and I gave them the cancellation information, told them what to do, and they all got their money back. But no one should have to go through that much trouble or rely on a complete stranger. The cancellation numbers should be in the Terms and Conditions where the 7 day option is mentioned.

I got my 80 year-old mother's $299 back and that's all that is important to me :cool: They had no business selling a potential timeshare vacation to anyone that old (my dad is 87). Plus, my mother was told that she had won a free vacation worth $1,000 that ended up costing her a $299 "deposit". That is classic "bait and switch". :eek: Now I'm through with this. Holla :D

Old 06-15-2005, 05:41 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Summer Bay Resort Is A Very Nice Company Your 80 Year Old Mother I Am Sure Agreed To The Charge Because They Do Voice Record Everything And There Is Phone Numbers On Their Website

Old 06-15-2005, 08:26 PM
Silver Member

I have told many people who have contacted me about this situation that there are numerous people who have had a nice time at Summer Bay Resort, particularly in Orlando. However, the age of my mother and what she may or may not have agreed to is not the issue. The problem I spoke about was the fact that they claim to give you a 7 day cancellation option but don't give out the contact information so that you can exercise the option. And they record what is beneficial to them. When I informed them that I , too, was recording a later phone call, the Customer Service Representative almost had a stroke! And the phone numbers on their site are not the ones needed to cancel if you want to. I know this because I called those numbers, plus every number I could find for Summer Bay Resort, including each and every hotel in two states. NO ONE COULD GIVE ME THE NUMBER AND ADDRESS THAT I NEEDED TO CANCEL. I would not have had to spend 4 days tracking down the correct information if the numbers needed were on the website. Call the number and ask for the cancellation desk and see how many "managers" you have to talk to first and see how many times you will be put on hold for up to 30 minutes and see how many times you will be given the runaround. I'm glad you had a good time but there are many people who did not, as evidenced by the reviews on the travel site

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...t_Florida.html

(Cut and paste the above url in your address window)

And since Summer Bay claims to have a 7 day cancellation option on the phone before they get your credit card info and have it in writing in their Terms and Conditions (you know, in that teeny tiny box on the website you love), then they should give you the information on that website right under the reservation numbers and give it to you on the phone when they take your credit card number. I bet if you ask them to play 1000 of the taped calls you want us to rely on, you will never hear on one single tape the sales rep giving you the cancellation number. I was even told by a person at the cancellation department that none of the other numbers (the one you are referring to or the numbers at the Summer Bay Resort hotels which can be found in internet phone directories) are the right numbers for cancellations. And I don't even want to tell you what subterfuge I had to undertake in order to trick a sales rep* into giving me the address and fax number to the cancellations department. (*I'm sure she was very pretty and came from a good family, but she was as dumb as a box of hair!!! :p ) But prior to that, it took having to call 10 phone numbers and speak to at least 25 representatives over four days to finally get this information:

P.O. Box 947720
Maitland, FL 32794
800-803-9534 - tel
407-875-0152 - fax

And I'm going to have it printed as often as I can until Summer Bay makes the information readily available. I have gotten dozens of emails from people all over the world, thanking me for the information I provided and many of them got their money back. I have to say, once you are lucky enough to get your cancellation letter to Summer Bay, they are very good about refunding your money. I sent my letters on May 11th and my mother's account was refunded on the 13th. :) Others had the same good result - but only because I provided the cancellation information.

I addressed all of this in my original postings. I noticed that yours was written without any punctuation marks at all :cool: Was that on purpose or do you work for Summer Bay Resort? :p

Old 06-21-2005, 08:03 AM
I am new at Scam.com

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU :)

I am in the UK and got sucked into that "you've won a free vacation" nonsense, and ended uo stupidly parting with £530, about $1000. Thanks to BADLADY, I got it cancelled the next day by following her exact advice. On top of that, MBNA, the credit card firm, were fantastic and rang them for me and witnessed the call. They got right in to the correct dept, no bull! Without this advice/help, I would be stuffed with a very expensive holiday at a time I couldn't get there, with a partner who would not want to got. And so on..... Thanks, SCAM.COM, you saved me a packet! Next time I'll politely say "NO THANKS". :D

Old 06-22-2005, 01:13 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Great to hear it!

Well done Badlady - another person saved.

Old 06-28-2005, 12:04 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Thank You Summer Bay Resorts for my wonderful Vacation!!!
I had a great experience with Summer Bay Resorts. I got a great vacation at a great price. I had a wonderful time in Orlando and Daytona. I still have another stay to use. Plus they gave me a free one. Nobody gives out free but these people did. If it wasn't for the promotion they were offering I would have never been able to afford to take my family. I was never scammed by them. I paid a fee over the telephone with my credit card. Everything was laid out on the computer for me and when I wanted to make a reservation I called the 1-888# I feel everything was explained to me properly. I got WAY more than what I paid for. The tickets themselves were worth the price of the promotion. I had nice accomodations. I really enjoyed my stay there.
Thanks Again

Old 06-28-2005, 10:19 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Snowman, from your reply I would say almost without shaddow of doubt you are one of their sales people. Show us the pictures to prove you actually went!

Old 06-29-2005, 09:35 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Thank you so much everyone for all your useful info. I can't believe I fell for this...... usually I am so sceptical of such offers. I was not advised of some of the additional charges upon arrival to the resort, and funnily enough not advised of the 7 day cancellation period. I telephoned the help no. (0800) 032 4335 and stated that I wanted a cancellation number. I was offered a reduction in the fee paid to date, followed by a low budget payment plan..... eventually and rather begrudgingly I was given cancellation no. I have sent a letter to the address detailed and to my bank and problem solved. NEVER NEVER again will I be so silly, but without your advice I would be in a right pickle!!! Thank you very much. ;)

Old 06-29-2005, 12:19 PM
Silver Member

To Snowman: We are glad you had a great time. Some people do and some don't. My reason for posting on Scams.com was to share the cancellation information that Summer Bay Resorts does not give buyers during the sales call nor on its various websites. They let you know that there is a 7 day cancellation period while trying to get your credit/debit card information but they never give you a phone number, fax number, physical address, post office box address, or email address to exercise the cancellation option. I have received responses to my postings via emails from people as far away as Northern Ireland who paid anywhere from $9.95 to $1160 to Summer Bay Resorts. They were thankful for the cancellation information and the Trip Advisor link with the reviews from vacationers who actually took the trip, with mixed results - some good and some horrendous.

HERE IS THE INFORMATION AGAIN:

P.O. Box 947720
Maitland, FL 32794
800-803-9534 - tel
407-875-0152 - fax

My suggestion is to send your cancellation via fax first and then back it up with a letter mailed with delivery confirmation. To its credit, Summer Bay Resort refunds your money immediately. Consider the time frame to be seven (7) CALENDAR days as opposed to BUSINESS days. Although SBR does not say which it is, seven days is generous considering most companies only give you 72 hours to cancel a contract, so it's better to err on the side of caution and go with CALENDAR days. That means if you gave out your financial info on the 6th, you must cancel by the 13th.

Again, Snow, be glad you had a good time. We just wanted the right to change our minds and put our money to other uses.

Old 06-29-2005, 08:02 PM
Silver Member

I would like to thank Hotels4Cash and Nic In the UK for their kinds words. :) And to all of the people who contacted me personally asking for help who got their money back: I'm pleased that everything worked out well for you. I am glad that I decided to do something that I have never done before - post a message on an internet forum. But I felt strongly that people should not have to work as hard as I did to get information that should have been made readily available to anyone who contracted with Summer Bay Resorts. As for all of you who had a pleasant experience with Summer Bay and who believe that it is great company, you should urge them to put the cancellation information on its websites and give the info to potential vacationers as soon as the sales reps get the credit card number that they work really hard to get - by any means necessary. That way, the company that you insist is so great would not be the subject of such websites as Scams.com. Where there's smoke, there's fire and there is a reason why Summer Bay is on this site and so many people have had the need to contact me personally for additional information on how to get their money back.

Please be advised that if you need to reach me, my new email address is badlady717@comcast.net.:cool: My old email address (lindalou404@comcast.net) will still be up for a while, but for a faster reponse, use the new contact info.

Again, thanks for your support and I hope my information will continue to help those of you who would like to have the right to change your minds if you want to. :p GIVE UP THE INFO IN THE SENSE OF FAIR PLAY, SUMMER BAY. CHANGE YOUR WICKED WAY & LET US CANCEL BY THE 7TH DAY!!!! :D

Last edited by badlady717 : 06-29-2005 at 08:05 PM.