report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER
Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Chat Here
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2009, 07:19 AM
U.S.A. #1

Re: Earthquakes

Well either everything is back to normal or it is the calm before the storm. The experts still cannot find a reason as to why to became so active. I have a theory on that myself. Isn't that what volcano's do every once in awhile?

Old 01-04-2009, 08:50 AM
Gold Member

Lets hope it just had some rumbly in the tumbly and has went back to sleep. I agree that thats just what volcanos do everyone in awhile but almost 300 is alittle nerve wrecking.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:21 AM
U.S.A. #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy12982 View Post
Lets hope it just had some rumbly in the tumbly and has went back to sleep. I agree that thats just what volcanos do everyone in awhile but almost 300 is alittle nerve wrecking.
Yeah, some of us were starting to wonder there for a while. Living so close to the worlds largest known super volcano ( about 60 miles ) and hearing that it is starting to rumble can make one sit up and take notice.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Timer View Post
Yeah, some of us were starting to wonder there for a while. Living so close to the worlds largest known super volcano ( about 60 miles ) and hearing that it is starting to rumble can make one sit up and take notice.
I am listening to a radio program. They are talking about this, and say a 4.0 or larger earthquake, in your area could be a large concern. What are your local news services saying about this?

Old 01-05-2009, 06:36 AM
U.S.A. #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by howdy View Post
I am listening to a radio program. They are talking about this, and say a 4.0 or larger earthquake, in your area could be a large concern. What are your local news services saying about this?
Well, It is kind of a strange area here. A 4.0 or so in the park probably would not be felt here. But that also depends on what kind of ground waves it produces. A 4.0 or larger in the park has the potential to cause some damage there. Seeing as each 1/10th of a point is supposed to be 10 times stronger, a 4.1 would be felt a lot more there and a 5.0 would be felt here as well but with only maybe some very minor damage. But once you start getting above the 5.0 range it can become severe.

There is a fault line outside of town that has produced 7.5 and up before. The last was about 10,500 years ago. They estimate that it happens on that scale here about every 8 to 10 thousand years and that we are now overdue for a 7.5 quake here in Jackson. That size of a quake would more than likely completely destroy the entire town and valley not to mention several other towns nearby. So, like the volcano that is about 40,000 or so years overdue, it is not a matter of if, it is just a matter of when. Thing is, it might happen tomorrow or today and maybe not for another thousand or so years from now. Nobody knows when.

It doesn't matter where you go. Some kind of nature will probably affect you. Hurricanes, tornadoes, floods or volcanos or what ever. The way I see it. If it goes in my lifetime I not only get to witness history but get to be a part of it. And just think of the tombstone I would get. In about two or three thousand years from then somebody would dig us up just like they did in Pompei,Italy when that city got covered by ash and trapped all of those folks there.

Old 01-05-2009, 09:26 AM
Platinum Member

Old Timer....you still with us???? Nothing blown up?

Old 01-05-2009, 09:38 AM
U.S.A. #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry05_99 View Post
Old Timer....you still with us???? Nothing blown up?
Oh yeah still here. Us old farts are hard to get rid of ya know

Old 01-06-2009, 07:06 AM
U.S.A. #1

Quote:
Oh yeah still here. Us old farts are hard to get rid of ya know
It looks like the old volcano is sleeping now. It is really quiet, maybe to quiet. It can really make you wonder just what it is going to do next and when.

Old 01-06-2009, 04:12 PM
Platinum Member

Well this is concerning.

Calm before the storm?

I sure hope not.

Thanks Old Timer, for keeping us informed on this.

I really hope nothing happens.

Maybe after two or three weeks things calming down there, perhaps we can relax.

Old 01-06-2009, 04:42 PM
U.S.A. #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by howdy View Post
Well this is concerning.

Calm before the storm?

I sure hope not.

Thanks Old Timer, for keeping us informed on this.

I really hope nothing happens.

Maybe after two or three weeks things calming down there, perhaps we can relax.
I really do thank you for your concern Howdy. All we can do is hope.

SSHHHHHHHHHHH it's snoring now. Don't wake it up.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:13 AM
U.S.A. #1

SSSHHHHH It is still sleeping

Old 01-07-2009, 01:13 PM
U.S.A. #1

Quote:
SSSHHHHH It is still sleeping
The papers today have stated that there were over 500 earthquakes in the park in the past 10 days that ranged from 1.0 to 3.9-- . They do not know what has caused that type of earthquake swarm and why so many. They do say that the quakes were from 1 mile to 6 miles beneath the surface and right above the magna chamber. The volcano alert is still on normal. They have repeatedly stated that there is no cause for alarm and that there is no eruption eminent and no need for any evacuations. Personally I wouldn't be one bit surprised if the darn thing did blow. When you really bring it down to bare basics, nobody can predict when a volcano will explode or how violently. Like we all know. It is not a matter of if. It is just a matter of when.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:25 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
The papers today have stated that there were over 500 earthquakes in the park in the past 10 days that ranged from 1.0 to 3.9-- . They do not know what has caused that type of earthquake swarm and why so many. They do say that the quakes were from 1 mile to 6 miles beneath the surface and right above the magna chamber. The volcano alert is still on normal. They have repeatedly stated that there is no cause for alarm and that there is no eruption eminent and no need for any evacuations. Personally I wouldn't be one bit surprised if the darn thing did blow. When you really bring it down to bare basics, nobody can predict when a volcano will explode or how violently. Like we all know. It is not a matter of if. It is just a matter of when.

It looks like shes starting w/ the rumbles again.....

Old 01-09-2009, 12:51 PM
U.S.A. #1

Quote:
It looks like shes starting w/ the rumbles again.....
Yep I am afraid that you are right. this one is 3.3 ---My gut feeling says that either it is gonna blow or give out with a good size one like maybe 5.5 to 7.5 range. either way we will be a rocking and a rolling.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:29 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Yep I am afraid that you are right. this one is 3.3 ---My gut feeling says that either it is gonna blow or give out with a good size one like maybe 5.5 to 7.5 range. either way we will be a rocking and a rolling.
Just curious...how long is each shake lasting? I know our 5.5 was only like 30 seconds...but it seemed like 10 mins (probably cause it woke me from a dead sleep) again....just curious.

Old 01-09-2009, 02:09 PM
Platinum Member

And a message from the King.

Of Rock and Roll, that is.............

Old 01-09-2009, 03:33 PM
U.S.A. #1

Quote:
Just curious...how long is each shake lasting? I know our 5.5 was only like 30 seconds...but it seemed like 10 mins (probably cause it woke me from a dead sleep) again....just curious.
Well so far the quakes have been to small and to deep for us to feel them here, but I wouldn't be one bit surprised if they start coming bigger and we do feel them here.

Old 01-09-2009, 06:01 PM
U.S.A. #1

Quote:
Well so far the quakes have been to small and to deep for us to feel them here, but I wouldn't be one bit surprised if they start coming bigger and we do feel them here.
This is just in. 3.0 in Missoula Montana about 35 minutes ago. it is starting to rock all over