report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER
Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Internet Scams
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2005, 12:52 PM
Silver Member

Cyber-Begging & E-Panhandling - scam?

I'll admit about a year ago I posted on a couple free cyber begging sites and got no donations but a ton of junk mails, mainly nigerian dead relative scams. :mad:
The supposedly succesful cyber beg sites charge a small fee to list with them, some as low as $3 .
I have read news articles that claim cyber begging / e-panhandling has some success.
I'm wondering if it's a scam though. The only "donations" I ever got were from 2 family members and I had emailed them. Yeah, I suppose you could say I spammed them. But I never received any donations from the cyber beg sites.

So, are the cyber begging sites that ask for money to list with them a scam?

If you're not familiar with this all you have to do is enter cyber begging, e panhandling, or cyber beggar in google and you'll come up with enough info.

When I listed it was initially to try to stay in college and I even posted some of my A grade essays. Then I added that my wife was pregnant and included pictures. I explained what we wanted to do and that I wanted to start a home business but we couldn't even afford start up fees. Nothing came in.

Yet supposedly someone who wanted to raise money for a $20,000 "dream car" actually claimed to have received at least one donation! Makes me really question if anyone ever gets anything at all!

Old 09-28-2005, 03:49 PM
Newbie Member

Re: Cyber-Begging & E-Panhandling - scam?

Holy Crap! You have to be joking here? “Cyber Begging” We have internet surfers that carry their imaginary “Card Board Box Sign” Begging for money on the internet now? And you are begging, but you can afford to pay for the membership fee at the begging site? This is crazy!

Lets think about this…what are your chances anyone will even donate anything to you? I think you are full of crap anyone sent you anything at all. Why would they you are just another crook with a computer with another sob story like many thousands of others. For you to even consider this is pathetic. The way you wrote your story you are truly thinking about doing this.

The time you are begging and pleading how desperate you are because you are so poor you are in school and your girl is pregnant? Blahhhh BS

You are the scam! You are pathetic for even targeting innocent good hearted people to feel sorry for you so they will send you money.

You should be ashamed of yourself. You are the SCAM!

Old 09-28-2005, 05:09 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapmaster
Holy Crap! You have to be joking here? “Cyber Begging” We have internet surfers that carry their imaginary “Card Board Box Sign” Begging for money on the internet now? And you are begging, but you can afford to pay for the membership fee at the begging site? This is crazy!

Lets think about this…what are your chances anyone will even donate anything to you? I think you are full of crap anyone sent you anything at all. Why would they you are just another crook with a computer with another sob story like many thousands of others. For you to even consider this is pathetic. The way you wrote your story you are truly thinking about doing this.

The time you are begging and pleading how desperate you are because you are so poor you are in school and your girl is pregnant? Blahhhh BS

You are the scam! You are pathetic for even targeting innocent good hearted people to feel sorry for you so they will send you money.

What are you, a complete buttwipe?!! A flame gets a flame cuz I'm tired of the BS myself. Go ahead, report my post JERK! You don't know me or my wife.

Yes, for your information there are lots of Cyber begging sites on the web and have been since 2002 - 2003. If you read what I said on other posts I said I cannot afford to pay the fee at any site. I only signed on a few that were free. Some charge anywhere from 3 to 10 dollars to beg.

Obviously you have no freaking reading comprehension skills because I said FAMILY members sent me donations, not anyone from the cyberbegging sites.

Don't dare call me a crook! You piss me off. Don't freaking accuse me of scamming because that makes YOU the liar! Liar. Get the hell off this board. And I don't care if I get warned or banned because you just attacked a couple with a baby due in December and called me a liar and a crook. You are the one defaming my character. And yes, I copied your words.

I was in college till May on a government grant. We couldn't afford it anymore. We had to move. My wife got pregnant in March. We spent most of our saving moving around trying to get settled. I see other college students that have resorted to the cyberbegging sites.

Shame on you for your pompous self righteous rant against people you don't even know. No one in my family preys on innocent people. We are totally honest about what we have and don't have. Some people out there are begging for 25K or even 150K I saw in one blog. I don't know if it's true or not. Could be. I was 20K in the red in the early 90s and filed bankruptsy. Right now my wife owes a little over $1000 in student loans and makes about $50 per week. Our bills exceed our income. Thats the honest truth.

Please DO NOT accuse me of being a scammer or a liar. And don't call me a crook with a computer. You lie. I am no crook. If I was a crook I would be making up a scam and selling it to defraud people. I WILL NOT DO THAT.
You should take back what you said.

Last edited by Ravensmedicine : 09-28-2005 at 05:18 PM.

Old 09-28-2005, 05:59 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapmaster
you are just another crook with a computer with another sob story like many thousands of others.
Have you ever been down and homeless? It's really upsetting when someone who has never experienced what it's like to be poor and destitute looks down on someone who is. :mad:

Quote:
Oh really? I am 7 months pregnant and he was in school until May. Who made you the judge?

Quote:

I think you're the pathetic one. You think you're better than us. You don't know my husband and you don't know me. I wouldn't want to know you.
Just for everyones information, I'm Lisa. I'm Ravens wife. I am pregnant. We are very poor and are living below poverty level. My husband is trying to start a home business but we can't afford any money right now.

I think your message should be edited Zapmaster.

Old 09-28-2005, 07:54 PM

Lets love the freedom of speech, not suppress it.

Old 09-28-2005, 08:01 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnerscircle
Lets love the freedom of speech, not suppress it.
We do love freedom of speech. However, false accusations go over the line. How do you think people win lawsuits dealing with defamation of character?
We can let it go one time but anyone starts following us around with this kind harassment we will take action.
Wasn't I reading a message on the home business scam forum where people were talking about defamation of character and action that could be taken in such cases?
We try to deal with honesty even on the web where I realize many people don't. We are adamant about exposing scams and I have gone to great lengths in the past to stop scammers or at least send them into inactivity. Eh, they probably just close that one account and start another under a new name though... :rolleyes:

Old 09-28-2005, 11:59 PM
tommywho70x

Welcome to SCAM.COM kiddies!

FYI - This is not a very tightly moderated board. The owner is George and the moderators are Sojustask and Scambuster. Any and all editing of posts is done by them.

Zapmaster, your tirade was totally off the wall and inappropriate. If you are any kind of man at all, you will retract and apologize.

Raven and Lisa, I am Founder and CEO of an old Beatnik-Hippie Artists Cooperative Web and I am one of the people here who swing the libel hammer when the flaming idiots start publishing false and defamatory remarks to people whose posts piss them off. There was nothing actionable in zapmasters tantrum. Forget it -- move on.

There are a lot of ways that you can do your own cyber-begging without going through a middleman.

Do you have a decent web site builder program (e.g., FrontPage or PHP)? Make your own site. Open an account with PayPal, one of the other online banking services or if you have direct banking you can set your own "Financial Transaction Coordinator(FTC)" on the site to collect donations. Tell your story. Put something out there, like your term papers that you can give to donors. Park that page on any server you can find that will take it.
There are 10's of thousands of commercial forums like this that will let you post and an equivalent number of free public access domains who will take small personal web sites at no charge.

And when you get barfed on by angry buttheads, remember the Latin admonition: Illegimati Non Carborundum (Do Not Let Bastards Grind You Down)

Good luck and blessings for you and your baby.

Old 09-29-2005, 04:47 AM
Silver Member

Thanks Tommywho. Yeah, most forums I'm on would at least edit such a post, as well as edit my response and give us both warnings, and possibly lock the thread. I suppose I SHOULDN'T complain because I've had threads locked on me that probably didn't warrant it all because some mod thought the subject went against certain religious doctrine.... (which it didn't).

Anyways, I've always been the sort of person who gave to beggars on the street. I've been homeless a few times before and camped in the woods. I never did the cardboard sign thing because I always had either food stamps or a friend would give me a few dollars and some food to get by, or I would pawn my own personal items for cash... and I would go to a Labor Ready and work myself. So I was never considered a "bum" who wasn't wiling to do anything. And if someone asked me for change I would usually give, even if all I could give them was a quarter. Most are just regular people down on their luck. They don't choose that life.

The economy grinds people down.... in the early 90s after the S&L scandal my sister in law lost her 35K a year banking job. She had to file bankruptsy and would have been homeless if not for my wife (x wife) and I. I even paid her car insurance when she couldn't afford that. Here was a college educated woman with a good job who was a victim of economic problems beyond her control.

You know, I don't even like asking for money - "begging." I think the only reason I have attempted it is because of my family. In all my life up until this year I had only asked one stranger for money on the street and that was for a quarter to make a phonecall. They gave me a dollar and said keep the change. If it wasn't for me worrying about my wife and child soon to be I don't think I would have posted on those websites.

Yes, I did make my own site and listed it. It's been up since February I think but probably not very advertized. I do keep it updated. It has paypal and all that.

I think Zapmaster might have misunderstood when I talked about starting out with my college situation, then adding my wife was pregnant. Maybe it sounded like I added something that might draw more sympathy. No, that wasn't my intent. I had the college expenses before my wife got pregnant and we didn't find out she was pregnant till April. After that I updated my site. When I posted about the home business that too was an update. My wife having to leave her full time job in May is because she couldn't work as a care provider lifting handicap people due to her pregnancy.

I have also made it clear that I am not looking for huge donations, and that I want to work on my own, not live off donations. I've read some news articles where (supposedly) people make up to $1000 per week on donations and they say "why work?" I don't know if those donation amounts are real, and I also don't believe in making a living by begging. I am not one to sit around in front of the TV and drink beer, or sit in an alley and drink beer for that matter. I like keeping busy and doing wholesome activities.

So, because of that, and because I have known so many people who find themselves in desperate situations I do get quite defensive when someone tries to attack us and make false claims about our character. So I'm speaking for all who have been down on their luck due to changes in economy, lay offs, work injuries, etc.
I do not excuse the people who are in financial need because they spend all they get on drugs or alcohol. That's more a situation of their own making. But neither do I trash them because of their situation, and I have fed them before too. I also realize many of these came from broken homes, bad parents who abused them, or were laid off in the past, became depressed and turned to drugs & alcohol rather than seek other alternatives.

I also want to say this: I am the kind of person who, if I actually reached the amount of donations to cover expenses needed I would update my site and list donations received and say my immediate needs were met. I would also consider sending money back to some of the donators who were especially helpful or were not that well off themselves if I ever got in a position to do so. I am not just saying this - I have done it before with friends. They helped me when I needed help and I have helped them when they needed it...

Last edited by Ravensmedicine : 09-29-2005 at 04:58 AM.

Old 09-29-2005, 10:18 AM
Silver Member

Update on Cyberbegger websites. Just came across this today. Cyberbeggar.org whose homepage says Donatemoneytome.com. They have pretty hefty fees to list with them. $9.95 per month but the set up cost is $44.40 plus 9.95 a month if you use them to build your website, or $19.95 plus 9.95 a month even if you already have your own website.
If people are cyberbegging in the first place who the hec has that kind of money ? These are the most expensive cyberbegging rates for listing I have seen yet!