report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER
Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Charity Scams
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2008, 05:28 PM
betrayed

What do you really know about Habitat for Humanity

New, but not so new to what I believe is a scam happening to me. Does anyone truely understand how Habitat works? Would you like to know from someone first hand?

But let me know if I should just shut my mouth. I am not here to throw mud but to find out my rights and to see what recourse I may have.

Last edited by hfhscam : 09-18-2008 at 05:35 PM.

Old 09-18-2008, 06:44 PM
Gold Member

Re: What do you really know about Habitat for Huma

Whats the problem? You have to explain...

They help you by building a house for you at cost, you must volunteer to help with other houses and you are not suppose to be able to rent it out and I think they are getting stricter about selling them because too many people were getting them and turning around to sell for profit.

Old 09-19-2008, 01:11 PM
betrayed

They don't make you pay only for what they pay for. The family pays an inflated retail cost on even donated materials. Any gov. refunds for solar incentives that are supposed to go directly to help the buyer lower the cost of such an investment are quicly snatched up and never applied to the homeowner.

It's my feeling that a family desperate for a safe home quickly learns that no matter the workmanship or the quailty of material, no matter if they've put in 1500 hours more than expected to do so, no matter how many promises are empty if they want their home in the end they have to suck it up and pay what ever they feel like asking you for.

You know those Whirlpool appliances, ya, they are free to Habitat but not to the homeowner, they pay retail price to HFH for them.

I've been busy following up on my house to find that when we were told that we would only pay 1/3 the price of the tools needed for our home and the other 2/3's would be divided between the next two homes built with them. We in fact have paid full price for them and we don't even get to own them.We even had one habitat volunteer buy double his lunch on our dollar so he could have dinner that night, ever time he came. He bought a mini fridge on our dollar, that he has. He used to even bring his trash to our home when it was a work site and we were responsible for getting rid of it. We got contacted by a local hardware store that he even bought a window for his house on the account.

We paid 30k for a guinea pig solar system that we were told over and over that if it fails to perform they would revisit the loan. We weren't dumb there was no way we'd agree if there wasn't some promise of recourse. but we were dumb enough no put our faith in a man who led us down a road of empty promises. Now we have a very expensive system to pay full price on even though half was donated and they recieved a 13k incentive that was supposed to go back to us....Where is it? we'd like to know.

We have figued that they have, on our house, made a profit of about 60-90k in the end. I'd rather pay a conventional mortgage rate on the actual cost for 30 years.

It makes us sick to know we've been manipulated in this way....in the end we signed the papers so that the house we worked so long for wouldm'd slip through our fingers. We'll try to rectify the issues with them now. We'll see how quickly they try to hush us up or shut us down..

Yeah, I know you hear a lot of anger, we do feel entitled to it but we do recognize the sacrifices of all those dedicated volunteers who worked so closely beside us. Some we formed true relationships with that we hope to have for a lifetime. We are very grateful for the opportunity that we were given. They did not have to choose us, it could have been anyone else, there were probably some more deserving. We love our home, we will live our lives, raise our family and love every day here. We built it with our bare hands and our blood, sweat and tears are here. Those are things we can bever forget.

There is a time though when you have to be held responsible for taken advantage of the if you will "disadvantaged". They manipulated us, they knew the position we were in, we at that point, would never ruffle the feathers of the ones who held the cards for fear all that we had done would just slip through our fingers.

Old 09-29-2008, 01:19 PM
I am new at Scam.com

We are experiencing the same type of problems, except they deselected us the month before we moved in. I'd love to talk to you. Michelle

Old 09-29-2008, 05:33 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Did the national office work with you? Or did they fail to return your calls?

Old 10-06-2008, 04:57 AM
betrayed

that is a shame!!!!!!!!!!! I'm OUTRAGED. I'd love to talk with you as well. Don't waste your time with international. They are there only to cover their own adgenda. To hurry up and cover up they aren't interested in you and your issue.It is a flaw in their program. Did you do all of your hours? Did you just not qualify financially in the end?
Would love to chat with you outside of here. Are you able?

Old 10-15-2008, 03:45 PM
I am new at Scam.com

We are in ireland and have been treated disgacefully and dishonestly by our affiliate.they are a gang of crooks dressed up as a charity. we should have known when a few months into the project we were told it was no longer an interest free loan.after that it just got worse and worse.all of the original staff members left, but we unfortunatley are in legally binding contracts,although i have not signed for my loan cheque yet, i am tied to the agreement.(I am living here 2yrs 4 mths on a caretaker agreement) Some of us are in a worse position than when we signed up to this. Our houses are so overvalued we could never afford to buy them out and be rid of them.And as for the clawback %, dont even start me on that one. We were led up the garden path with inspiring stories and false misleading promises.We've had nothing but lies and the original agreement is nothing to the one we now sign into. I thought Habitat were the answer to my prayers when i was selected but it has been nothing short of a nightmare.The only worthwhile part of this nightmare was the meeting and working with volunteers whilst building.That part of their word they kept. wow.We are supposed to just shut up and be grateful for what we have even though we worked ALL and MORE than our hours and carries out all obligations. I WISH ID NEVER HEARD OF HABITAT FOR HUMANITY

Old 10-20-2008, 04:59 AM
betrayed

I'm am sorry.

I do know that there are great people involved and there are organizations of HFH that are doing the right thing but unfortuneatly there are a few bad apples that are going to disgrace their good name.

I wish I could trust the HFH international or the headquarters to take my info and not just try to cover it up. Frankly I don't know who I can trust.

My house was built well, that I know because my husband and I built it with our own two hands over countless hours and years.

My only grievance is that we ever agreed to be anyones guinea pig without a paper trail of agreements and recourse. Trust is what got us in our pickle. I will never be trusting again. I will always be thinking about covering my ass with, "put it in writing".

You need a great litigator, an attorney who knows his stuff and would be willing to fight for you.

My advice is sign what you need to sign to own your house and worry about the problems later. At least then no one can take away what you worked so hard for.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:06 AM
I am new at Scam.com

i have 2 sign whether i like it or not cos theyve backed us into a corner,as usual they covered their own asses.we have proof in the literature we got from them of all the things we were promised such as interest free and there being no clawback,but we were more or less told 'tough s**t,what you gonna do about it'.it means i will be trapped here because i could never afford to buy them out and move.as im only in a 2 bedroom apt with my 13 yr son,i cant even have another child as i was planning,in case its a girl.where would i put her?im only 31 and i cant plan anymore children unless by some miracle i come into money and can buy myself out of this nightmare.and this is from an org thats supposed to help and care about families.i cant understand why no one iv contacted @ hab.int care about us,we bought into a fantasy sold under the habitat name.i was assured it was NOT 2 good to be true, as i wondered at the time.like i said before I WISH ID NEVER HEARD OF HABITAT IRELAND.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:27 AM
I am new at Scam.com

ps
went to another solicitor who said there is a conflict of interest because our solicitor (that habitat chose 4 us) has already been paid by us, through habitat.
that solicitors dont take each other on like that ???
our own solicitor (that habitat chose was the fourth company to take over ) was at first furious with habitat when we told her our grievences and agreed that we were right and were treated disgracefully.she returned from a meeting with their side and told us habitat said no to everything and threatned to evict us if we kicked up a fuss.this was of course later denied habitat.which didnt surprise us,wed heard enough lies out of them by that stage.but she was strangly silent on our problems after meeting them and done no more about them.so here we are, no help from no one and no one in habitat caring about our dire situation thats a million miles away from what we singed up for. lesson .... if something seems too good to be true,it usually is.no matter if it come from a christian organisation that claims to have your family's best interest at heart........

Old 08-24-2009, 07:42 PM
I am new at Scam.com

I currently work for Habitat for Humanity in California... and on behalf of HFHI I apologize.... all though I know thats not what you seek. I am sure this forum will chew me up and spit me out however sooner than later I am sure we will all be on the same page.
I would like all of you to contact me with any more information you may have... research if you may.... I have had my suspicions with this organization and what you have stated here has struck an interest in me. write a response if you would prefer to get in touch with me.

Old 09-05-2009, 08:44 PM
Silver Member

Thank you everyone for showing this groups mettle.

I would be interested in knowing if the offers of habitat members to look into the claims and find solutions were ever backed up with actions?

Last edited by consolidation : 09-05-2009 at 08:47 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 09-07-2009, 04:22 AM
betrayed

After threats of slander, who would be willing to tell the truth?
Certainly not a low income family with no money for a high priced attorney to protect them.
Another pickle that these families don't realize they get themselves into. They/we are so desperate for a home that we'd allow this nonsense to happen to us so we can have a home to call our own. THAT is WRONG. Like a starving dog they hold your home over your head like a steak. Why would you ever ruffle their feathers? they hold the keys.
2 yrs later the Prez and another resigned from the board, in a matter of weeks they had someone here to fix the issues we had complained about since we moved in, the larger issue of the experimental solar system is still un resolved at this point. We are hopeful but as time goes by we feel we are conveniently forgotten.

The silver lining is, we have our home and we love it. That gradtitude never goes away.

Old 09-07-2009, 03:42 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfhscam View Post
After threats of slander, who would be willing to tell the truth?
Certainly not a low income family with no money for a high priced attorney to protect them.
Another pickle that these families don't realize they get themselves into. They/we are so desperate for a home that we'd allow this nonsense to happen to us so we can have a home to call our own. THAT is WRONG. Like a starving dog they hold your home over your head like a steak. Why would you ever ruffle their feathers? they hold the keys.
2 yrs later the Prez and another resigned from the board, in a matter of weeks they had someone here to fix the issues we had complained about since we moved in, the larger issue of the experimental solar system is still un resolved at this point. We are hopeful but as time goes by we feel we are conveniently forgotten.

The silver lining is, we have our home and we love it. That gradtitude never goes away.
Enjoy your had earned home!

My prayers will be with you.

Old 09-15-2009, 10:30 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Im glad that some of your problems seem to be resolved. It's funny in our case other contractors have been repairing the work that was done last year. We were told that all the things we complained about were not true, but now they are being repaired for a new owners. I hope that some of the nepotism that occurred during our build doesn't happen again. We had almost no volunteers just paid contractors. It's hard to drive by a house that we worked so many hours and was promised to us, go to someone else but I feel God will give our family something much better. I hope other people have good luck with habitat for humanity. Personally it was a huge disappointment.

Old 08-07-2010, 10:15 PM
I am new at Scam.com

The house in Glendora makes me sick. What, I am supposed to feel sorry for a family who has made the choice to be a single income family instead of being dual income like EVERYONE else in this area. When I was first married, I was in the same position that this family is now. Do you know what I did? Went to college, got a better paying job, and bought a major fixer house to be improved solely by my own sweat, not the sweat of do gooders and photo ops. If I had known that all I had to do was quit my job and spit out another child to in order to be given a brand new LEED house "at cost and with no interest" I would not have worked so hard toward my own hard earned mortgage! Lets all just feel sorry for me who was dumb enough to think I had to work for what I wanted, hell, it will just be dropped off in my lap if I just whine a little and give a good story Habitat for Humanity will do the work for me!

Old 08-19-2010, 05:06 PM
I am new at Scam.com

My Experience with Habitat as a Volunteer

I recently volunteered with Habitat and was very disappointed in an organization that I blindly felt great respect for. I drove to a shady, low income neighborhood in South Florida to help "build" a house for someone less fortunate. I found out from the Volunteer Coordinator that the homeowners have to put in 500 hours of sweat equity (which is a policy I would agree with and knew about) but what I did not know is that these new homeowners had to pay $125,000 (interest free mortgage) on their new home. I work in RE Development, I can tell you that this home was worth $50,000 TOPS in that area. What exactly is HFH doing here and why doesn't anyone see this? The Volunteers had no good materials, tools to work with so all of the quality workmanship was out the window. I was starring at a concrete block with plastic cabinets painted by what could have been a bunch of fifth graders... and someone is to pay $125,000 for this project housing? Is this a mistake, an oversight? If HFH is doing this then how did they become so large and such a well respected charity? I really want some answers because what I learned that day has just made me ill. If this is the case everywhere I dont think the general public understands what is happening.

Old 09-08-2010, 05:24 PM
I am new at Scam.com

I'm not sure how Habitat for Humanity International (USA) runs their charities but I can put some insight into how Canada runs...

There is a strict criteria on family selection based on need. Only families with children are selected. At least one parent working, and not on social assistance. Total Family Income must be below the "low-income cut off" as defined by the Canadian Government. and many more items.

As far as the sale price to the Partner Family... it's based on the higher of either the Market Value of the home or Habitat's cost to build the home. For example if a home cost $50,000.00 to build but on the market would only get $30,000.00 then the sale price would be $50,000.00. On the other hand... if the home was built for $50,000.00 but on the market it could sell for $75,000.00 then the home would be sold for $75,000.00. Either sinerio would be interest free. The mortgage payments would be based on the families income (25%), and probably less.

These mortgage payments are in turn used to build more houses for more families and the cycle continues.

I think it is hard to see the good in Habitat with all the hype they get. For the longest time the general public thought the homes were given away. But clearly they are not.

I'm sure some homeowners don't realize the hard work that is needed to upkeep a home just based on the fact that they are coming from housing that they didn't have to make a desicion on which electrician to use because that's all worked into there rent. They also didn't have to care about a leaky sink because the fix was a phone call away and there was usually no bill for it because again... included in rent.

I like to think that most Habitat Partner Familes are greatful for the opportunity they have been given... but there will always be those few that don't understand self-responsibility.