report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER
Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Internet Scams
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2008, 09:20 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Craigslist Laptop repair scam ?

This happened to my brother a few weeks ago and i cannot figure out the scam but im sure there is one .

he is a computer tech and posted an ad on okla city craigslist offering repair / upgrade services.

He was contacted by a rose smith out of las vegas who told him she had many laptops she wanted him to install anti virus on .

They agreed on a price of $50 per , and she was going to use her shipper to send them and return them .

At this point he called me, cause he thought it sounded fishy .. i researched her name and email addie and found it posted on many dating sites, she had told him she was a 28 yr old mother of 2 , and none of it matched what i found .
so he finally passed on the deal after much warning from me that it had to be a scam .

Now im just curious how the scam would have played out , advance fee scam maybe ?

The emails had the typical nigerian grammar mistakes , her location didnt match the other info i found , and uit just made no sense to spend that kind of money to install anti virus when it could have been done locally to where she was .

Old 03-28-2008, 03:30 PM
Nothing is as it seems

Re: Craigslist Laptop repair scam ?

She would have probably sent him a bogus check to cover payment in advance and shipping but the check would have been for too much so she would ask to send the difference back via Western Union. He would end up losing everything.

Old 03-29-2008, 12:29 AM
Most Valued Gold Member

yes, the extra in the fake check would have been forwarded to the "shipper" via western union. local guy told me he just got scammed on his boat for sale the same way.

Old 06-08-2008, 04:03 AM
Information is Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Valdez View Post
She would have probably sent him a bogus check to cover payment in advance and shipping but the check would have been for too much so she would ask to send the difference back via Western Union. He would end up losing everything.
That's exactly what would have happened. If theses scammers would improve there grammar a bit in these emails they would probably get a lot more people to fall for them.

Old 09-08-2008, 09:27 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Got the same email. these are hitting around everywhere. Wouldn't make sense for anyone to ship laptops from Cali for repair in Texas, I sniffed around and found this site.

Here is the email I got.

this version was from Janet Kit janetkit12@live.com

How you doing? I read your description and i am highly impressed in your services,I have 3 laptops pentium IV dell computers ..i want you to Install software such as Microsoft Office and Anti Virus,clean inner & outer computer components, update software to current status,and Web Designer. Get back to me with your total cost for the services of three computers. I will like You to know that my mode of payment is by CHECK or MONEY ORDER. I am located in CA and i want you to know that i will handle the shipment my self i have a shipper that will bring the laptops to your place,and will come pick them up as soon as you are done with them. and i need a good job..i have all the software u need for all the instalations and every thing you need all i want from you is a good service and i good job..if you need my phone number to call.i will provide you with that.get back to me with your last asking price for the 3 laptops. I await your urgent response so that i can put the arrangement in order.i will be more that happy if you can work for us. Thanks.

Old 09-30-2008, 10:28 AM
I am new at Scam.com

I just received and email today from "janetkit12@gmail.com". I would guess it will be the same person.

Old 11-20-2008, 03:11 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Yeah I got the same letter from a guy named kevin smith with a yahoo address. saying he was from tenn. and was working in las vegas, and the whole dell laptop thing and he had 8 of them and wanted office and anti virus. and for some reason i believed him. and then all over a sudden something clicked...and i was like why is he contacting me all the way in north carolina...and something isnt right....so i googled craiglist computer scam and bam! this site popped up...thank you so much!!

Old 12-02-2008, 04:11 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Happened twice w/ me due to a Craigslist repair posting...I'm in N.C. and my 2 requests were one from Dominican Republic & one from Germany. I just wanted to see that these goons would do if i did quote them a price, so the first one indeed sent my a check on a bogus Western Union bank in excess of $5 grand, which i knew was to good to be true.

Both Yahoo and Google (ymail & gmail) were used on these emails as addresses, so forward those to the account fraud email addresses if you want at gmail-abuse@google.com & I can't recall Yahoo's, but thse are definitely bogus.

Old 12-03-2008, 05:29 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Not to be redundant, but I just another 6 emails from kelvin.moore@live.com with the same damn text as some others...same # of laptops, same service request, and it came in my inbox 6 freakin' times..

BEWARE

Old 12-08-2008, 12:46 PM
I am new at Scam.com

I just got the same thing today. Someone in urgent need of repair for 7 Dell laptops. I quoted the price, he said he'd have his secretary send a check...from Ohio. I got suspicious, just like you guys and found this site. Here's the message:

Quote:
Sent: Monday, December 08, 2008 11:52 AM
To: David Kelsen
Subject: Urgent response.....COMPUTER REPAIR NEEDED..

Thanks for the reply. I am okay with the price... I will instruct my secretary to prepare a check for you on your name and address .
Do send me your full name and address and your phone # so as to prepare the check and shipping of the laptops to your address. i have a reliable shipper that will pickup the laptops when you are done with it.I am looking forward to hear from you,so we can have payment and shipping asap.

Thanks

I'm waiting for the check...

SEO Right Now

Old 12-09-2008, 05:40 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Yeah I just got an e-mail sent to me at 4:00 AM this morning requesting the same thing. I thought it was a bit suspisious that someone would want to send me 8 PC's but didn't have any contact or company information tied to the e-mail. So I decided to check out the name on google and the e-mail address and came up with quite a few different and disturbing things besides this, plus the guy says he's in Scotland and I'm in Michigan. Below is the e-mail sent to me just if anyone gets it. Thanks to all the people that started this chain.

kelvin.moore@live.com

My name is Kelvin Moore , I am from from London Uk and right now i work in Scotland I read your description and am interested in your services,I just brought some computers and they are laptops Pentium 3 dell computer..i want you to Install software such as Microsoft Office and Anti virus, clean inner & outer computer components,update software to current status,i have a shipper that will bring them to you and also bring them back when its done he will also come to you with the software and anti virus needed Get back to me with your total cost for the services of eight computer only cos all the software and anti-virus and windows will come with the pcs.i will like You to know that my mode of payment is by check or Money order.
I await your urgent response so that i can put the arrangement in order.
Kelvin Moore

Old 12-11-2008, 08:54 AM
I am new at Scam.com

not to be redundent but he just sent another e-mail from a different address, just want to make sure anyone can be aware of it... pretty much same e-mail... different name.

shoksy01@yahoo.com

Hello,
My name is John Phillip,am from Idaho and right now i work in Washington I read your description and am interested in your services,I just brought 8 computers and they are laptops Pentium M dell computer.
I want you to Install software such as Microsoft Office and Anti virus,clean inner & outer computer components,update software to current status,i have a shipper that will bring them to you and also bring them back when its done he will also come to you with the software and anti virus needed.
Get back to me with your total cost for the services of eight computer only course all the software and anti-virus and windows will come with the Computers.i will like You to know that my mode of payment is by Cashier Check Or Money Order it depends on the type of payment my company would be issue and send to you.
I await your urgent response so that i can put the arrangement in order.

Thanks.
John Phillip.

Old 01-14-2009, 01:21 AM
I am new at Scam.com

I have just received an scam from this [?] hotmail user.

My post at craiglist is a post for PC service, just like everybody else. January 2009, and it is still happening.

I already forward that message to abuse@hotmail.com

See you guys,
Marco Drummond.

- Hide quoted text -
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 3:45 PM
Subject: Your service needed !
To:

Hi

I read description on Craig List and am interested in your services,I will be importing some computers into the states.The PC are laptops Pentium M dell computers ..i want you to Install software, clean inner & outer computer components, update software to current status ,anti virus,adobe page maker,Microsoft office,DVD player on them.Get back to me with your total cost for the services of 6 computers.form of my payment will be US certified cashier check.I await your urgent response so that i can put it in order ,so get back with the total cost for the services of 6 computers and following information needed so that the payment can be issue out
Full name... Full address.... City... State... Zip code... phone number...
as soon as i receive the requires details from you i will immediately instruct my secretary to proceed with the issuance of the total amount you provided .The laptops will be shipped to your destination by my shipper and also the computer will be picked up from your destination by my shipper after the service.I want the services to be done as soon as possible,before selling them as well.I wouldn't mind a $50 extra for you to get them done fast because i know you may have another work doing right now .if this is okay with get back with the information today and the total price for the services of 6 computers , please do not give me P O BOX address only home address because am using Ups service to send this payment out so home address only thanks.

Rick

Old 01-14-2009, 01:47 AM
Newbie Member

They just wont stop, tell you what, give him a price to do the work. Have him send the laptops, keep the laptops and say they never showed up.
Scam him back

Steve O'Halloran
www.steve-ohalloran.com

Old 01-19-2009, 12:59 PM
Furious_G

Wow, I have been having my doubts about this job for 20 laptops, I figured my price was fair and the lady needed work. However I thought why not google laptop scams and see what I get after I have another job for 7 dell laptops. That is when I found this website, I was told I would be issued a check for 4200 for my 1500 dollars worth of services, the additional ammount was for the shipper and I was to westernunion the diffrence over. My plan from the start was to go to the bank and receive cash money before I did ANYTHING. or If any checks bounce keep the laptops, but according to this I should be receiving a bogus check.

To help everyone else spot theese scamers before they waste personal or buisness time:

Both came from Creigs list.

Hello to you overthere?

I am Originally from good year AZ ,am nurse in
Arizona,i and my husband are presently in China and will be coming back from
china next month,we are going to settle and put up our big computer store as
this is what we are here for. Checking on the craigslist ,I read your
description and am interested in your service,we have about 20 laptops that
we want to install softwares on and clean them up.We are sending the
computers over and they are laptops Hp centrino(intel) computer ..i want you
to Install softwares such as Microsoft Office and Antivirus, clean inner &
outercomputer components, update software to current status.We will like to
know if you will be able handle this job.so please get back to us with you
total cost for the services of 20 computer excluding the shipping cost cus we
have a shipper that will come with the computers and the necessary
Softwares to you.

I got pentium IV dell laptops . Below are the things needed to be done one on each laptops.
1 Format Hard Drive
2 Instal Win Xp with Service Pack 2
3 Microsoft Office Package
4 AVG Virus Software (Free Lifetime Updates)
5 Adobe Acrobat
6 Laptop Cleaning of the keyboard, screen and other case.
7 Diagnostics of the entire system after to check hard, cdrom, floppy, etc. Get back to me with your total cost for the services of 7 units. I will pay you with a certified check .
I await your urgent response so that i can make Moving arrangements and payment as soon as possible

Old 01-25-2009, 09:09 PM
I am new at Scam.com

mike_80_80@yahoo.com sent me the following

Hello,
How you doing?
My name is Mike,i hail from UK and right now i work in Germany I read description and am instrested in your services,I will be importing some computer into the United States.The PC are laptops pentium 4 dell computer ..i want you to Install software, clean inner & outer computer components, update software to current status.Get back to me with you total cost for the services of 10 computer.i will like You to know that my mode of payment is by check.I await your urgent response so that i can put the arrangement in order.
Thanks

Old 01-27-2009, 01:28 PM
I am new at Scam.com

I get these emails about once a week from multiple email addresses. To contact google yahoo, or any of the other free mail systems is pointless. these people get email addresses just as fast as you do and by the time you report it they are already using another email address so it doesnt work. I have actually responded to one today and priced the work at 5000 for 5 laptops to repair them and the guy emailed me instantly. I have tracked his ip to a place in Africa and told him this. He has not responded to me agin. These are all scams and anyone that would fall for them probably shouldnt be working on computers anyhow. Anytime i get an email from an unknown source i just delete it and if it was legitimate the person ussually calls me and asks if i got their email. dont fall for this people.

Old 02-02-2009, 02:09 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Advance payment indeed...they want to send you a bogus check ..it may appear legit, but want you to pay fees out of that check before it will cash, but it never will....

i've been emailed at least 6 times on this scheme and once quoted a guy 500 per machine....he emailed me back, so i emailed back and basically told him he was full of S--_

never fall for it...if it's too good to be true, it probably is..

good luck all