report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER
Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Work at Home Scams
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2007, 11:12 PM
Newbie Member

Starscapes

Greetings!

Does anyone have any information on or experience with this home
based business called Starscapes?

Thanks!

Old 10-09-2007, 09:01 AM
Wheres my Spam? Ask your friendly neighborhood moderator.. ME

Re: Starscapes

I don't see anything wrong with it.. It's nice that they actually have a product and a pretty cool one at that.

Do you feel confident in your sales abilities?

I imagine if you are willing to put in the time and energy you could make a go of it. The only part that bothers me is that they all refer to themselves as artists and painting is mentioned but the business ad has a testimonial that says "no skill on my part." Maybe they use templates?

Old 11-19-2007, 07:04 AM

This home-based 'business', made me bankrupt. People aren't willing to pay the outrageous amount you have to charge to make a go of it in this business and don't want you to invade their home. You will be charged a monthly 'franchise fee' and a fee for a cookie-cutter hosted website. The claims are false- the glow-in-the-dark effect doesn't last several hours as claimed; 15 to 20 minutes at the most, fully charged for the high-end expensive paint; less for the cheaper stuff. It doesn't look like the picture portrayed on the website and in the marketing brochures. It takes two to three times longer to do a professional job than what is claimed in the marketing materials. I find the outrageous claims made in the 'testimonials' a bit hard to swallow and I am very suspicious of the guy from Mexico who claims to make "$22,000.00 in a month"; there's no way to prove it, but I think it's the alter-ego of the founder of 'Starscapes'. The founder is the one making all the money, with his 'royalty' fees and website fees and all the merchandise and marketing materials he is hawking. Don't fall for all the'sizzle' of the testemonials like I did and take a leap of faith; it doesn't work.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:15 AM

It obviously didn't work for you but I don't see anything to indicate it's a scam. Not all businesses are for everyone and you always have to find what works for YOU. Especially when it comes to sales.

Just spending five minutes digging some more on Starscapes: There are plenty of people who have been running their Starscapes business for YEARS.. they are apparently making it work.

Cookie cutter websites? Yes a lot of them look alike BUT it also appears that some have opted to not use the cookie cutter and have their own built.. that's a good sign of a good business.. Some of the people who used the cookie cutter also made some changes to make their website more personal.

All franchises have fees.

People don't want you to invade their home? Why on earth are they coming to you then? Just looking at the website I would realize someone WOULD need access to my home if I wanted to do this.

Expensive product? Yep it probably is.. however a big sales rule is to NOT put yourself in the customers pocket.. just because something is too expensive for me or you or another person doesn't mean there aren't plenty of people out there willing to pay a LOT of money for something they think is fun and unique. You have to find your target audience.

Also.. if you have doubts about the testimonials don't believe them.. Go to any of the websites and they all give a name and phone number. Call the people actually running the businesses and see what they think before you jump in or for the OP, since you are already in the business call them and get some advice and ideas to see if you can still make it work for you.

Again.. while it didn't work for YOU.. it doesn't appear to be a scam.

Last edited by katiescorner : 11-19-2007 at 09:25 AM.

Old 11-21-2007, 09:19 PM

If the claims for the product were true, then, I agree it would not be a scam. However, the cheap paint doesn't glow for "2 to 4" hours as claimed; 10 to 15 minutes fully charged using an ultraviolet light; the exspensive paint certainly doesn't last 'all night'; maybe 20 minutes longer than the cheap stuff. How can a person possibly promote a business based on lies with good conscience? I tried to find the websites of the people making the "glowing testimonials" to no avail. Certainly something as riddled with falsehoods as the promotional material of Starscapes should be considered a scam. :whip:

Old 11-21-2007, 10:06 PM

Did you contact the people who have been in business doing this for more than a few years to see how/why it is working for them? I don't believe you can stay in business that long if you are lying about your product.

If I could get a room done like that for my daughter and the rep was up front and told me the glow would last 30-45 minutes and I could afford to do it.. I would do it in a heartbeat. Maybe what the company is stating isn't right as far as how long the glow lasts but it's a product I believe could be sold even if you are being honest. Of course I was a sales manager for a very long time and sold very expensive products so it just might be that I can see a value in the product and you have had a bad experience.

Old 11-24-2007, 01:20 AM

Now, there's the key; "if you could afford it"; what do you do for a living now? Respond to all these blogs? I see your postings all over this site.

Old 11-29-2007, 04:16 PM
Newbie Member

Hi there
This thread is a bit dejavu (however you spell it) Ive been in this business for a number of years and YES it works. You have to read between the lines of certain companies and read some of the blogs that this guy has put out there, to really understand the man. (LOL)
You can check out the Ripoff report also.
The big issue is here that he will NOT tell you whats in his kit , you sign contracts and pay through the nose. He can offer his affiliate $750.oo commission ( MUST BE A LOT OF RISIDUAL PROFIT THERE ( that tells you something... he says he been in business anything from 15-25 years doing this? which one .
There are many companies out there one called GloMania check them out at
They tell you what you get for your money, they offer support, they even offer a 2hr training DVD and best of all they show you REAL images not super imposed pictures on a ceiling. all for a mere $600.oo
They have distributors and artists all over the world.
i rest my case.

Last edited by katiescorner : 06-02-2008 at 05:10 PM.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:34 PM

Thank you Guppy.. that makes perfect sense! So many people throw out the label "scam" indiscriminately and I don't like it. A scam is when you don't get what you paid for. I just couldn't see this being a scam and your input gives people an alternative.. I like that.

Old 12-03-2007, 08:47 AM
Newbie Member

Hi there all,
There is no scam with most of these business's, a real scam as you said is when they take your money and give you nothing in return.
StarScapes is just OVERPRICED but you can buy a Farrari in ITALY cheaper than in the USA does that mean all car dealers are scams. Yes a lot of what is written is total sales CR*P and that could be classed as a scam tactic however.
Some companies that I could mention are just out for the cash and what yo get is real CR*P, you have to read between the lines. This is not a get rich quick business and you have to work to get it. Du dilegence is the best policy shop around and trust me you can't go far wrong with GloMania as there are no franchise/licence agreements and you can buy your products from wherever you want.

Old 05-30-2008, 07:42 AM
Newbie Member

I think Guppy *is* GloMania and I don't want anyone to get scammed by a company that's promoting itself under the guise of being a customer.

If you look at GloMania's profile on Ebay, you will see that their name was 'GuppyATeam' before they changed it to GloMania.

Coincidence? Make up your own mind - I know what I think.

Old 06-02-2008, 04:13 AM
Newbie Member

Hi there, actually I am NOT GloMania , I originally purchased a business kit from another company on eBay offering the world in a Business, it turned out to be a Home printed book with over 40 pages of internet screen shots and about 10 pages of HOW to create star ceilings. I spent over £300.oo with them and for what!!. I do not wish to mention this company as they got quite offensive when I gave them NEGATIVE, my husband wanted to go round and "rip his head off". I then after speaking to Glomania purchased their business kit . GloMania offered the kit to me at a VERY REDUCED rate as they did not want to see me out of pocket,as were on benefits at the time and borrowed the money from my Mum. I have a lot of time for this company , they are very helpful and supportive, and have looked after me finacially. I am based in Birmingham if thats of any help.
So who are you LITTLE BIRD !!! and whats the *IS* thing ? or would that be a stupid question? I feel I have reported things as I see them and alot of people who have read these threads would agree. Get a life this is about scams not grievences I suggest you find a blog that goes for that kind of thing .If you have nothing constructive to say about the PRODUCTS then fly away!!.

Old 06-02-2008, 04:47 AM
Newbie Member

My own experience with this company is less than positive. I don't feel they are trustworthy and I found them to be rude and unhelpful and I'm not the only one. If your not GloMania than the name your using is a hell of a coincidence and I'm still not totally convinced. I just think people should be vary wary of this company. If your genuine then fine but my own experience of this company makes me wonder. If your actually GloMania then I suggest you take your own advice and swim away little fish!

Old 06-02-2008, 09:39 AM
Newbie Member

Wow you have got a bee in your bonet, Have you purchased from them?, what did you buy,? what was wrong with it, The conversation is about over pricing of Star ceiling kits you have to check out their prices in comparrison with Starscapes , I mean there are a lot of would be star ceiling kit companies just starting out , these I am sure we have to be aware off as Do they actually know what they are doing, the other company I bought from just took my money, there was no support, no websites, no after sales service, nothing as I said just a DVD showing a persons hands with white paint on a kitchen table and a manual with screen prints of other companies.
No I am not Glomania but then from your tone I deduce you are from another company trying to cause trouble.

Old 06-04-2008, 03:14 AM
Newbie Member

Well you would say that.

I was a customer some time ago. Maybe they have improved a lot but that would be a surprise to me. I bought their kit and was so disappointed in it. I thought their dvd was like something off blue peter. I'm glad you thought it was so good. you get two plastic pieces of dowling to make your stars and the whole thing just comes across as cheap. Their paint is ok. Better than ok really it does glow well. But there are a lot of companies that do good paint these days you need to make sure you get the strontium aluminate paint and not the old zinc kind you can get. I'm not going into any more detail than that just to say be wary. People have to make their own choices. I have since found another company that supply in my opinion a better product but I'm not here to plug anyone else just to add a balanced view.

Old 06-04-2008, 02:27 PM
Newbie Member

Are you on about their business kit or their other kit ( I have not seen that one)?

Old 06-04-2008, 03:01 PM
Newbie Member

hi I was looking at doing this kind of work , i came across starscapes and was blown away Then an American friend of mine directed me here to check them out I am glad i came now it seems an ideal product to have just dont want to make a fool of myself and get ripped off

Old 06-04-2008, 03:10 PM
Newbie Member

Hi there Private Dancer, you really want to check out Glomania and look at a few others, you can find them on the net, you have to be carefull though some are not as they seem. Ive had my finger burned once... This type of business would go down well out there all that SUN (will make everything Glow) There are only a handful of companies offering a BUSINESS , I have been doing some research its not so much the knowledge you want its the support to get your business going. You will want leads as well.so a good company with lots of artists goes down a treat (hope this helps).