report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER
Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Mail Order Scams
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2007, 09:47 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Getting a check in the mail for being a secret shopper

Quote from the board it was posted

got a quick question, today i got in the mail a check for 3,420 for being a secret shopper, it gave me task in witch i have to buy

110 walmart
2500 money gramm
110 jc penny's

400 for my pocket

i get to keep all the items i buy i just have to fax them all the reciepts

Did anyone else get this?
It is real believe it or not my bank cashed it and said they have gotten one before. ""

Is this a verfiable scam because i want to help the person out with it

Thanks for the help

Old 07-13-2007, 08:23 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Re: Getting a check in the mail for being a secret shopper

*bump* please reply if you know anything

this was my post on another board

thank you so much

Old 07-13-2007, 08:38 AM
Diamond Member

It is a scam. You will send your money by MoneyGramm to Nigeria.

All secret shopper assignments connected to wire transfer are Nigerian 419 scams.

Old 07-13-2007, 06:53 PM
I am new at Scam.com

This is definitely a scam. The bank will accept the check, but in a few days it will bounce and they will take the money out of your account. The company I work for had a check stolen from us. Scam artists conterfeited the check and sent them out all over the country telling people that they won a lottery. They are told to deposit the check in their account and then wire funds to the lottery commision so they can collect their prize. Banks usually accept the checks because they appear to be good. They have our company name correct, our account number is correct and the signature stamp is an exact duplicate. But when it reaches our bank, we reject it. I have had 3 calls yesterday alone from people who wired the money and were looking for their prize. They are not happy when they realize that they will have to pay back the bank the $1850. PLEASE do not cash the check.

Old 08-21-2007, 07:03 AM
I am new at Scam.com

received check in mail to be a secret shopper

Today I Received A Check In The Mail For $1999 To Be A Secret Shopper.

Wal-mart
Money Gram
Western Union

The Letterhead Included Instructions On What To Do.
The Wierd Thing Is That The Fax Number Was In P.a.
The Phone Number In Ontario And The P.o. Box In N.y.

No Website Was Listed. I Called The Number And I Asked For The Gentleman's Name On The Letterhead. The Person Said He Wasn't Available Right Now. So I Asked Who Do I Wire The Money To He Said George Mathews In Baltimore Md. He Didn't Give An Address Or Zipcode Either. Sounds Fishy To Me.

Has Anyone Else Received This Letter?

Old 08-21-2007, 09:53 AM
Diamond Member

Re: received check in mail to be a secret shopper

It is a scam. Old trick. Check is fake and once you transfer them your money, you would not see them again.

PS: To be a Secret Shopper you have to sign up over website. Secret Shopper also never gets his money upfront . You file a report and send them recites and then you may get reimbursement.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:04 PM
Silver Member

Re: received check in mail to be a secret shopper

I got a similar letter and "check" a few weeks ago. Tossed 'em. These scammers just amaze me. Don't they know that people aren't going to fall for something they've never even heard of? It's like those e-mails saying you've won a lottery you never entered!

"...victory at all cost, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be, for without victory there is no survival." Sir Winston Churchill

Old 06-19-2008, 09:26 AM
Roaming Nana

Re: Getting a check in the mail for being a secret

These are certainly a scam; I have received FIVE of these in the last two months. The US Postal Service will only get involved if all of the entities involved are within the US. That is why so many of these have a Canada connection somewhere.
I believe that if you receive one of these big juicy checks that you check to see if the company, the bank and the postmark are ALL US; then this should be taken to your postmaster for investigation. If ANY part is from Canada, the crooks are home free.

Old 07-07-2008, 01:48 PM
Newbie Member

Re: Getting a check in the mail for being a secret

This happened to me; I received two checks in the mail for being a secret surveyor; would send some money to Moneygram along with posing as a relative of mine from Canada. I just took one of the checks, deposited it in my bank, everything's OK---NOT! I only spent a little bit of it along with my bank account being overdrawn, and now I have SurveyLot.com in Canada being reported to the Royal Canadian Mounties along with my not accepting anything that charges a fee to join. They can take that fee and shove it. Also, the perp at SurveyLot.com in Canada doesn't want to talk to me anymore, and yet he makes hang up calls to my number. I also researched the second check I got; turned out that one was phony. The perp at SurveyLot.com thinks I stole his money; would I love to put him out of business. He's the one who's a thief, and not me. His name is Michael Willis, one screwball.

Old 07-21-2008, 06:57 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Shadow Shopper

Just received in the mail a Customer Service Evaluator...with a check for $4955.00. They want me to shadow shop and order a money gram...I am almost positive this is a scam...anyone hear of it?

Old 07-21-2008, 07:23 PM
Diamond Member

Re: Shadow Shopper

Yes, it is scam. I have seen thousand of those on this forum. Shadow shopper companies never pay in advance. And legitimate companies would never ask you to wire money.

Old 07-31-2008, 05:50 PM
I am new at Scam.com

my daughter just received a letter with a check for over 4000 in georgia from a farm family insurance..supposed to be farm family survey pro?..im pretty sure its a scam but has anyone heard of it

Old 08-01-2008, 08:55 AM
I am new at Scam.com

i just received a letter including a check, too.

i tried to call the stated company's telephone number to get more information but it is wrong. instead, i reached a household which complained about the fact that they've already received several wrong telephone calls, today.
i tried to find the name and info on the company via internet, without success.
by the way, the name is:
farm family suveypro Inc

now i am sitting here with a big and obviously real check and ask myself:

why is the amount so big which the company is asking me to transfer as part of their survey?

would i become part of an illegal money washing circle?

how would i explain this amount to the tax office?

there are so many spelling mistakes in the lettern (uupsi!) plus the fact that their telephone number is stated wrong

the letter was stamped in canada, their letter head says NY.

all a little suspicious.

does anybody know anything about this company?
or had made any experiences?

is it a fraud or do you think it is save. i mean after all, i have the check?!!

i already lost a bunch of money once in a faked lottery. don't want to do the same mistake twice.

thanks for any information.
schila

an die restlichen, schöne grüsse nach berlin aus dem heissen texas.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:35 AM
I am new at Scam.com

o.k. i am in the position now to answer my own question on this blog upon the letter concerning shadow shoppers from farm family suveypro inc. i just talked to the farm family casualty insurance company which is a real company and they confirmed that it was a fraud. they have nothing to do with it and are very discomforted and they asked me to report this incident to the officials asap.

so be carful!!!! don't cash the check and report it to your police office right away, in case, you received a similar letter.

hopefully, these people will be stop fast.

greetings
schirin

Old 08-05-2008, 01:52 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schila View Post
o.k. i am in the position now to answer my own question on this blog upon the letter concerning shadow shoppers from farm family suveypro inc. i just talked to the farm family casualty insurance company which is a real company and they confirmed that it was a fraud. they have nothing to do with it and are very discomforted and they asked me to report this incident to the officials asap.

so be carful!!!! don't cash the check and report it to your police office right away, in case, you received a similar letter.

hopefully, these people will be stop fast.

greetings
schirin
One thing I think should be mentioned is that there is a REAL company called ShadowShopper.com that is a legitimate company. Apparently this fraudulent company is using their name.

People have mixed feelings about whether ShadowShopper.com's service is worth the price, but it is legit.

Once again you can find Mystery Shopping jobs for free via MysteryShop.org - click your country and then Shoppers.

Old 02-10-2010, 09:18 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Myster Shopper Scam?

my friend signed up for something online, applying to become a "mystery shopper"
they mailed her some forms, I was going over them and noticed some fishy details.

basically it was a customer support research thing, to evaluate how companys treat/ how well there services are, and you are to make records etc and report it, like a survey type thing.

the check was for $3,180.00
they told her to perform two tasks the first task was to spend a total of 100$ of the check at walmart , kamart, sears, or home depot. keep what she bought, and secretly evaluate the item, and how the employees did there job/ customer service.

the second task was to western union the rest of the money to some girl named lacy ridley, another "mystery shopper" Location: VINELAND NJ 8260 (full address is not required). <-- full address not required..? hmm..., and "lacy ridley" was going to send the rest of the money back, and this was to evaluate how well western union worked.

but i'm just wondering if this is a possible scam, any suggestions? thanks.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:42 AM
Bean Sidhe of the Duannan

Re: Myster Shopper Scam?

Yes is 100% scam.

Western Union does not check ID, anyone anywhere can pick up that money. The name 'Lacy Ridly' is either the name of a previous victim or copied out of a phone book, doesn't matter as the check is fake and will bounce in a week or so. Then your friend will get the real life job of paying the bank back every dollar.

Tell your friend to shred the check and not reply to the scammer's emails. The scammer's only job is to send emails to convince vicims to send him cash. If doesn't matter how 'good' the check looks, how pretty the letterhead on the paperwork is, how good (or bad) the English is in the emails, your friend does not have a job cashing checks for someone.

There are not mystery shopper jobs or persoanl assistant type jobs printing, sending or cashing checks.

Now that your friend has accepted a check from a scammer, more emails for fake jobs, lottery winnings, widows with millions, trunk boxes of cash, refugee with money in the bank type scam emails will come pouring in. Delete them and don't bother responding, it isn't worth the effort.

If you friend would like to help slow the scammer down, you could post up the intial email and the scammer's email address. That way a suspicious person might find your post when googling for information.

Found a romance scammer? Post the information over at RomanceScam.com

Old 02-12-2010, 05:45 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Re: Myster Shopper Scam?

It is very important to not that, although the scam works as it is described it is actually a fake check scam and not a mystery or secret shopping scam. Mystery shopping is a long-time legitimate industry that criminals are using as a front for their fake check scam.

For more information and pictures of what the scammers sometimes mail out, visit the Scam Warning page of the Omaha, NE based I-Spy Mystery Shoppers website (www.ispymysteryshoppers.com).

I own I-Spy Mystery Shoppers and our company name and logo has been used by the scammers in the past. We do everything in our power to try and educate potential victims and stop the scammers.

Sincerely,
Cory Jensen, Owner
I-Spy Mystery Shoppers