report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER  

Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Internet Scams
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2007, 05:40 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Bzzagent is a phishing scam

Everyone out there please be careful about a phishing scam called Bzzagent. They suck you in with promises of a bunch of free stuff, but then are put on a tone of spam lists and called by a bunch of telemarketers.

By signing up you agree to be harassed by their “marketing partners”, which means anyone that wants to spam you or harass you by phone or text message. My husband and I were barraged by high pressure telemarketing calls trying to sell us junk day and night.

Bzzagent is definitely an evil phishing scam!

Bookmark and Share

Old 08-03-2007, 06:11 PM
Diamond Member

Re: Bzzagent is a phishing scam

As soon as you figure out that you are talking to telemarketer, hang up the phone.

Old 08-03-2007, 06:49 PM
Nothing is as it seems

Tell them to hold for a second and then let 'em sit while you watch tv.

Old 08-03-2007, 08:28 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Wow, I thought I was the only one that felt this way. You are so right – Bzzagent is a total scam/rip-off!

I have been barraged by telemarketers selling everything after I became a Bzzagent – what a stupid name.

Old 08-03-2007, 09:12 PM
Banned

They are a member of the BBB.
Here is the BBB report.
If you have not filed a complaint, then you can file one here; https://odr.bbb.org/odrweb/public/GetStarted.aspx

To date this company has no complaints filed with the BBB in the last 36 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvh2999
You have provided no evidence that this company is involved in phishing. They are by the BBB report a marketing company. In order to be a phishing scam they have to have stolen your info. Have they done so? By your own post you gave it to them. Otherwise they are in compliance with the law. If they have stolen your info then file a complaint with the BBB above, and the Massachuetts Attorney General. However, if they mislead you then you can also file a complaint with either of the above.

Last edited by nomaxim : 08-03-2007 at 09:28 PM.

Old 08-03-2007, 09:21 PM
I am new at Scam.com

FYI

Is Buzz Marketing Illegal?
By Matthew Creamer
Advertising Age

The good buzz on the nascent business of word-of-mouth marketing holds that it offers a low-cost, highly effective way to drum up positive chatter around a brand. The bad is that some of its more insidious practices could lead marketers to run afoul of longstanding advertising law.

BzzAgent of Boston, one of the largest and most visible buzz marketing agencies, says it has changed its policies to require consumer brand agents to identify themselves as working for marketers.

As marketers more frequently look to recruit consumers brand agents to spread goodwill for brands, industry attorneys view buzz marketing as a likely area of regulatory involvement, especially around the issue of compensating people to participate in buzz programs when they fail to disclose their connections to marketers and agencies. While there is no legal precedent specific to word-of-mouth marketing, there are Federal Trade Commission guidelines for ads that are likely to apply.

“If the motivation for [an endorser] is to profit from his or her endorsement, that connection probably needs to be disclosed,” said Douglas Wood, chairman of advertising and marketing law at Reed Smith. “But since disclosure undermines the value of buzz marketing, advertisers are in a Catch-22.”

Misleading consumers?

An FTC official said while word-of-mouth isn’t something that the agency is looking at, disclosing commercial relationships is crucial to avoid violating the law. “The real question is whether consumers are being misled someway,” said Rich Cleland, an assistant director of advertising practices for the FTC.

$60 million business

Most big marketers have at least dabbled with ways of getting the most credible of spokespeople—ordinary, everyday folks—to speak to other ordinary, everyday folks about how great their products are. No firm data exist on how much spending on word-of-mouth marketing programs has increased, but some estimates put it at $40 million to $60 million business that grew at a rate of 100% in the last year.

The Word of Mouth Marketing Association has posted a working ethics code on its Web site, stating that the organization complies with the Federal Communication Commission‘s regulations on endorsements. The code also has a section titled “Honest ROI: Honesty of Relationship, Opinion and Identity.”

BzzAgent policy change

Not everyone agrees that disclosure hurts the buzz marketing process. BzzAgent, one of the best-known players in the space, found that its campaigns were more effective when workers revealed whom they were working for. That caused the Boston company to change its policy a year and a half ago.

“When we started the business in 2001, everything we read told us that in stealth and anonymity there is power,” said founder-President Dave Balter, whose client list includes IBM, Penguin USA and Monster.com

Old 08-03-2007, 09:27 PM
I am new at Scam.com

More information about Buzzagent

The BetterBadNews panel hears testimony from a former buzz agent recently in from the cold.

In this 3 minute video blog a small talk ad man admits to feeling
ashamed for embedding compensated brand messages into his small
talk. Or maybe the panel is being
hoodwinked by a double buzz agent using betterbadnews to
spread the word about a 12 step program for compensated small
talk abusers.

At bzzagent.com ordinary citizens sign up to be compensated for
dropping branded messages into ordinary word of mouth
conversations with family, friends and co-workers.

Reading the fake sounding testimonials of some of the
bzzagents pictured at bzzagent.com may help explain
why Doc Searls says the practice sucks.

Would a federal registry listing the names of all
compensated bzzagents with a photo ID help to detect unacknowledged,
secret, buzz agents who spread conversation spam on unsuspecting
innocent victims.

At bzzagent.com conversation spammers are encouraged by their
handlers to reveal their compensation agreements to those on the other
side of the conversation but the practice goes
undetected when the honor system fails.

Old 08-06-2007, 05:31 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Wow, the exact same things happenned to me. This place is a scam that just shoves useless stuff down your throat.

Old 08-06-2007, 08:56 PM
Wheres my Spam? Ask your friendly neighborhood moderator.. ME

I've been a bzzagent for more than three years and NEVER had a problem. I love the program and have gotten all kinds of fun stuff to try out. They don't encourage spamming or anything of the sort.

The program is all based on word of mouth advertising which is something we all do regularly anyway. They send me a product to try out and if I like it and talk to someone about it, I simply send in a report of how the conversation went. For instance I am trying out the zipnsteam bags and this week used them to make veggies.

My MIL made the comment that it must have been hot in the house steaming veggies and I told her about the bags. So I could log in to my bzz account and report that conversation. I don't give names or numbers or anything in the reports and they don't ask that information.

This is the first time and place I have ever heard anyone complain about telemarketers or spam from bzz agent and I know a lot of agents.

Old 08-06-2007, 09:59 PM
I am new at Scam.com

perhaps you should Google "bzzagent scam", you will find many horror stories.

Old 08-06-2007, 10:17 PM

I gave it a try and granted I only looked at the first page of results but I didn't find any complaints except for joho complaining about the ethics of companies in using this type of wom advertising.

Old 08-06-2007, 11:02 PM
419 Fun

For people living in the US:

If you are on this list, telemarketers cannot call you..it's illegal.

http://www.ftc.gov/donotcall

https://www.donotcall.gov/default.aspx

Old 08-06-2007, 11:28 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvh2999
Everyone out there please be careful about a phishing scam called Bzzagent. They suck you in with promises of a bunch of free stuff, but then are put on a tone of spam lists and called by a bunch of telemarketers.

By signing up you agree to be harassed by their “marketing partners”, which means anyone that wants to spam you or harass you by phone or text message. My husband and I were barraged by high pressure telemarketing calls trying to sell us junk day and night.

Hmmm, I've been a Bzzagent for about 3 years & have gotten many free items in the mail from them (free candy bars, a free Phillips Sonic toothbrush (valued at @ $80, a free Scrubbing Bubbles Automatic Shower cleaner & numerous other freebies for doing NOTHING other than signing up & they have NEVER called me once about anything.

Old 10-23-2009, 07:07 AM
I am new at Scam.com

http://blog.bzzagent.com/?p=71

Old 10-23-2009, 08:37 AM

Im not sure what that article has to do with this post?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skittles View Post

Old 10-23-2009, 11:44 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiescorner View Post
Im not sure what that article has to do with this post?
Nothing.
Our lil' spammer is "Necroposting", reviving a dead thread for his own nefarious purposes.

(thanks to nomaxim for introducing the term to me)

Old 10-24-2009, 04:53 AM
I am new at Scam.com

I've been a member with Bzzagent for over 6 years now and have gotten into ton's of campaigns most free but recently they ask for some type of payment on certian items which I believe they do because to many are selling the free items on ebay and *****slist.
I like bzzagent and have never felt like I've beem spammed or recieved any calls in relation to Bzz.

Old 10-26-2009, 05:32 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Yes I was in a hurry when I posted that and I didn't mean to submit because I did not have time to explain....

I just posted it because I was researching BzzAgent being a scam and I thought that post was interesting. It beasically says a lot of the reasons some members are complaining is because they are angry they got caught doing things against the terms like having 2 accounts. Even if there is an account for you and your spouce in the same house which is allowed if they think that one person is running both accounts that is what is not allowed. Also some agents have been caught trying to sell items on Ebay that they recieved from BzzAgent. Being posted by someone from BzzAgent it is obviously biased and I don't know every case of this so called scam. I haven't been on BzzAgent for that long, maybe a year or so, but I haven't had any issues with telemarketers or anything like that and if I did I would hang up... plus I'm on the Canadian do not call list.
(Since that article is from 2006 now that I look back I guess it doesn't really matter lol it came up when I googled BzzAgent scam)

I just thought it was an interesting blog and I wanted to share... no spamming here.

Thanks!

Last edited by skittles : 10-26-2009 at 05:41 AM.