report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER
Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Business Scams
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2007, 08:35 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Global Exchange Vacation. Is deal a scam?

This is my first post.

Does anyone know anything about Global Exchange Vacation (GEV)? [www.globalexchangevacation.com]

A representative called me on the phone today.

Briefly, here's the deal I was offered: I attend a 90-minute presentation. They will ask if I want to join their "club" afterwards. I can say no if I want to. Or I can join up.

Either way, I wll receive a "vacation package." I told them that I want an RT ticket to New York and back. They said fine. And I can book them for anytime within one year. Can fly on weekends and vacation days, too

The claim is that for my time, gasoline, and energy, I get the tix, no matter what. They claim this is how they use their advertising money--by providing free tix--rather than on TV, in magazines, etc.

Of course, I was thoroughy suspicious. I talked to three reps and two supervisors. I asked questions over and over and got the same answers. Yes, they said, this is a legit offer. Yes, all you have to do is attend this presentation (the 90-minute thing). Yes, you will get RT tix to NY at no charge. No, you don't have to sign up for a hotel package that you have to pay for; in fact, you don't have to sign up for anything at all. Yes, you could fly to NY and then change planes to Toronto (which is where I want to go, tho' I'd have to pay for the NY-TO leg). No, it isn't a two-for-one deal: You don't have to buy a second ticket to get the first one free.

As I say, I took more than a half-hour to talk with reps. I asked every question I could think of, including "What's the catch" and "Isn't this some kind of scam?" "What are you not telling me?" They kept saying it was absolutely above board.

Stlll, as the saying goes, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

I've been to the GEV site. It looks legit, although it's not very helpful on particulars about this deal.

Does anyone have any info at all about this company and this deal?

Best regards,
Little Wing

Old 07-04-2007, 09:33 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Re: Global Exchange Vacation. Is deal a scam?

Same thing with me. Did anyone try to go to the presentation and receive anything?
Thanks

Old 07-04-2007, 09:51 AM
Diamond Member

Looks like typical timeshare presentation.

Old 07-14-2007, 04:06 AM
I am new at Scam.com

My opinion is do NOT join GEVC!! First, yes, you get "awarded" a trip....but they send a certificate and you have to fill out 3 dates and send it back to them at least 90 days before your first choice, etc. Pretty tough to get what you want and it is not exactly how they make it sound.

Second....we went to the sales pitch in San Jose and because RCI is supposed to be such a reputable organization we thought it would be ok. The sales guy told us we never even have to use our points, that there is always bonus wks. available, anytime, that we can purchase w/ cash rather than use our points. We were told it would never be more than $349 a wk. for a 2bd./2ba. anyplace in the U.S.!! That is why we bought....$349 anytime, anywhere is a bargin. Well, we went to the "owner's" meeting a few wks. later and we were told the exact same thing...other people asked about it too. We were also told that 95.3% of people get there requests for reservations.

We have called GEVC customer service about every 10 days since Feb. and have gotten a return call, maybe 2-3 times, but no resolution. They basically are trying to ignore what their sales people are saying and we feel like it is "bait and switch". When we tried to make reservations w/ RCI for the "$349 per wk.", basically they laughed at us....had no idea what we were talking about. Also, since Feb. we have tried at least 5 times to get reservations through RCI for a 1 night hotel stay, a wk.end, a wk. and we have had ZERO luck! Maybe that just holds true for CA and Hawaii, because we have had no luck at all. I even tried their travel dept. for airline tickets and rental car because they are supposed to get us such great deals....I saved over $100 doing it myself on the "net".

We are very frustrated and are contemplating legal action because nothing that was stated to us has held true. I know there are other people who have bought RCI and are happy w/ it, but again....maybe it is just Calif. that is so hard to get reservations...but we are not happy. We are especially not happy over the complete lack of customer service and that is the only ph. number they will give you...no way to reach anyone else in the company.

If there is anyone else out there who has experienced some of the same from GEVC we would really like to hear from you and see if there is a class suit out there someplace :mad:

Old 08-10-2007, 03:04 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Don't even attend the presentation

I did attend and elected not to join.

When you try to complete the vacation prize for attending, they consistently delay action and present roadblocks to discourage you continuing with the process.

I also attended the San Jose, Ca. presentation

1) First they want money up front
2) Then they say there is a $169 per person surcharge for some distinations
3) There are significant time restrictions you need to avoid, including spring break, which they don't define.
4) After sending dates, they indicate there is an error, but don't say which one. They do then define spring break which is a 2 month period (and you have to add a week on both sides.

Each of these exchanges takes about a month for them to respond.

Nothing but headaches!

If you are still thinking of joining:

1) Explore GEVC resale memberships to see the post sale value.
2) Compare to the annual ROI for a typical investment + annual membership cost.

Old 01-23-2008, 07:04 PM
I am new at Scam.com

We went to the 90 minutes presentation too. We are told that we will get $100 for gas and also a vacation package to Hawaii for two.
At the end of the presentation, they gave us a mail-in coupon to request $100 along with paper work to get more information for the Hawaii trip.
I immediately sent in paperwork for both $100 and Hawaii trip. What we received was not a check for $100 but 5 mail-in coupons for $20, which looked exactly like the first coupon!! On the letter we received from the Holiday Travel of America regarding Hawaii trip, they were asking us to choose dates for departure, but as other people mentioned, they wanted $100 inmoney up front for tax deposit. If anyone wants money up front without giving me anything, I get very suspicious. Reading this blog, and seeing we got nothing but scamfor $100 mail in coupon, I don't think we can trust this Hawaii package deal either.

Old 04-26-2008, 01:05 PM
I am new at Scam.com

How high are your expectations for a free gift? My wife and I attended the presentation at GEVC and received 2 airline tickets. There were a lot of restrictions but we managed to use them to visit family. We did purchase the package and we took the family to Hawaii the first year. The program has been working for us so far.

Old 04-26-2008, 01:17 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by rplans2 View Post
We were told it would never be more than $349 a wk. for a 2bd./2ba. anyplace in the U.S.!! That is why we bought....$349 anytime, anywhere is a bargin. When we tried to make reservations w/ RCI for the "$349 per wk.", basically they laughed at us....had no idea what we were talking about.
You are talking about "RCI Extra Vacations." You can search them yourself if you log into your account. There are 1000's of them. I booked two of them in Mexico for $229 each.

Old 04-29-2008, 03:15 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Re: Don't even attend the presentation

My wife and I did too. We didn't buy it and did walk away with the "free gift".

Exactly the same thing happened to us as we tried to cash in on the award. They have sooo many blackout dates, and since it's a 3 day 2 night deal with no possibility of extending even if you pay out of your own pocket for the extra days, you can really only travel within the same time zone. That means a lot less choices, since it's only US, Canada, and Mexico that are covered.

Still, we figured out our dates and destination and sent the money order for $168 (this is in addition to the $100 deposit we already paid them) using certified mail (as they require). But they returned our form 3 times, each time citing a seemingly trivial mistake in the form. Everytime it took more than 2 weeks to turn around. On the fourth time, we decided enough is enough and wanted to get our deposit back and forget about this "free gift".

I got on the phone, waited for 30 minutes (btw, they don't answer phones after 6pm Eastern, nor on weekends), before I could speak to a person. The person gladly took my request and it appeared that she has handled this type of request many times before. The refund will take 15 business days, so we are keeping our fingers crossed.

We wasted our time and energy, but I guess there's a free lesson here - if something looks too good to be true, it probably is. I'm still mad at how misleading and dishonest people can be.

Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeakUpNow View Post
I did attend and elected not to join.

When you try to complete the vacation prize for attending, they consistently delay action and present roadblocks to discourage you continuing with the process.

I also attended the San Jose, Ca. presentation

1) First they want money up front
2) Then they say there is a $169 per person surcharge for some distinations
3) There are significant time restrictions you need to avoid, including spring break, which they don't define.
4) After sending dates, they indicate there is an error, but don't say which one. They do then define spring break which is a 2 month period (and you have to add a week on both sides.

Each of these exchanges takes about a month for them to respond.

Nothing but headaches!

If you are still thinking of joining:

1) Explore GEVC resale memberships to see the post sale value.
2) Compare to the annual ROI for a typical investment + annual membership cost.

Old 07-24-2008, 01:25 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Hi just wanted to say that I did go to the 90 minute presentation for Global Exchange, I did not buy the package but did get the vacation anyway. I have used the vacation already and while there are some restrictions, I am glad I went because we really enjoyed the vacation. Not a bad exchange for our time at the center in my opinion. How will you know if you do not go? I would just go and see for myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Wing View Post
This is my first post.

Does anyone know anything about Global Exchange Vacation (GEV)? [www.globalexchangevacation.com]

A representative called me on the phone today.

Briefly, here's the deal I was offered: I attend a 90-minute presentation. They will ask if I want to join their "club" afterwards. I can say no if I want to. Or I can join up.

Either way, I wll receive a "vacation package." I told them that I want an RT ticket to New York and back. They said fine. And I can book them for anytime within one year. Can fly on weekends and vacation days, too

The claim is that for my time, gasoline, and energy, I get the tix, no matter what. They claim this is how they use their advertising money--by providing free tix--rather than on TV, in magazines, etc.

Of course, I was thoroughy suspicious. I talked to three reps and two supervisors. I asked questions over and over and got the same answers. Yes, they said, this is a legit offer. Yes, all you have to do is attend this presentation (the 90-minute thing). Yes, you will get RT tix to NY at no charge. No, you don't have to sign up for a hotel package that you have to pay for; in fact, you don't have to sign up for anything at all. Yes, you could fly to NY and then change planes to Toronto (which is where I want to go, tho' I'd have to pay for the NY-TO leg). No, it isn't a two-for-one deal: You don't have to buy a second ticket to get the first one free.

As I say, I took more than a half-hour to talk with reps. I asked every question I could think of, including "What's the catch" and "Isn't this some kind of scam?" "What are you not telling me?" They kept saying it was absolutely above board.

Stlll, as the saying goes, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

I've been to the GEV site. It looks legit, although it's not very helpful on particulars about this deal.

Does anyone have any info at all about this company and this deal?

Best regards,
Little Wing

Old 07-25-2008, 01:43 AM
Newbie Member

time shares, we ALMOST got tricked into one BUT thank God we were broke lol... Seriously don't get tricked into this stuff UNLESS you ALREADY go on a ton of trips

Old 09-28-2008, 08:24 PM
I am new at Scam.com

My husband and I went to a 90 minute presentation in Napa on August 23, 2008. We were promised 2 rt airline tickets to Hawaii, which we have never received. Victoria said she mailed it certified mail on Sept 3. When I called and said I never received it she said she would mail it out again. It is Sept 28 and we still have never received it. Can we report them to the Better Business Bureau for being dishonest???

Old 05-26-2009, 10:32 PM
I am new at Scam.com

We attended the San Jose one also, and we didn't buy the point program. They start with the expense program which starts at around 16,000 (for 100,000 points) and then start to offer 60,000, 40,000 point programs. No one could give me a concrete example (just estimate). Further into the presentation it's pretty much 100,000 for a week. After we turned down those, we got one final offer for 300,000 points for about $1200 for a year trial. We still didn't go for it since we didn't really have any money to do so. It seems like the same procedure as oter timeshare - like the one we ended up with one which was Tahiti Village in Las Vegas. Anyway, we received the 2 free vacation deal, one to Hawaii and one to Las Vegas. The rule for Hawaii is you must depart on 1st Tuesday and return back to SF on 1st Thursday as well. even I talked to 2 people from GEVC presentation in San Jose in regards to Hawaii trip, they have told us that the trip is flexible and we only need to pay for extra nights. but when i tried to talk to "Casablanca express" who is managing the free airline tickets to Hawaii, I can't even talk to one person. so I called GEVC, they simply told me that we need to pay an upgrade fee for return flight, etc. For us, this is total scam, at least, we can call and talk to person in Tahiti Village. I am glad that we didn't buy anything from GEVC.

Last edited by placefor : 05-26-2009 at 10:43 PM.

Old 10-12-2009, 03:29 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Did anyone out there purchase the Timeshare through Global Exchange Vacations Club and are having problems with the company?

Problems cancelling your membership for something you're not receiving?

I have the same problem. Lets do something about it. Lets pressure their Napa sales office.

LETS FIGHT BACK !!!

PM or email me through here. ask for Jerry

[removed by mod]

Last edited by No_Moron_Here : 10-12-2009 at 04:10 PM. Reason: remove contact info

Old 10-13-2009, 04:40 PM
I am new at Scam.com

We got our money back after pursuing help through the attorney general's office. We filed complaints with the BBB of our town and with the home office in the L.A. area.

We got a call and letter from the Orange County of CA D.A.'s office...they had so many complaints that the DA was investigating. GEVC sent us someone else's information when they were supposed to be settling with us...violation of privacy laws, etc. I contacted the other person and told them who we had spoken to at the DA's office.

Runnnnnn!!! from GEVC and don't look back. Want a time share...there are several out there that are good companies...Shell, Disney and RCI itself.

Old 10-18-2009, 06:52 AM
I am new at Scam.com

i have done vacation home exchange before it has been a rather good experience I took help from Reciplocation website they provided me all the support i needed

Old 02-03-2010, 01:03 PM
I am new at Scam.com

It isn't a scam. The presentation is about timeshare. Been there bought the product they will give you the gift if you buy or not.

Old 02-21-2010, 12:27 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Global Exchange is a good company. I own 3 Timeshares. They are all about the same. The gifts are part of their marketing costs, which are pretty high, that's why they ask you to buy on the spot. If you really like to travel Timeshare is a great way to save money and stay in some pretty cool places. I took my family to Disney World and stayed at the Disney Resort and it cost us $169 for the whole week. The suite was amazing. Seperate bedrooms, a kitchen and living room. Minnie Mouse came and woke my girls up for breakfast. Pretty cool. There is no way I could have afforded to take my family there. You don't always get what you want but there are so many places to choose from you will go on a vacation for sure. As I whole I like timeshare. You just have to use it, which you often do more just because you have it. Hope that helps.