report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER
Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Business Scams
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2007, 08:20 PM
I am new at Scam.com

check scams.....what do I do now?

I posted to another thread the other day, before I knew for sure this was a scam. Last week I received a check in the mail for $4,975. The letter stated that they had found a grant for me. I was to deposit/cash the check, load $3,500 on a greendot card, go back to their website and pay the commission. It stated that after he received the money he would then send the larger check to me overnight. First of all, I have applied for grants online, so I didn't think twice about that. The check was drawn on a wells fargo account. I called Wells Fargo, to see if the account even existed. I was told yes, that is an active account, and yes the funds are there. So I deposit the check into my account, and do everything the letter said to do. The check posted my account on Monday. My bank did not put any kind of hold on it. Like I said, I paid the "commission" and paid some bills. As the week went on, without receiving the "other" check I started to worry. I got online and find, it is a scam. First thing Friday, I called Greendot to see if the money has been taken from the card. All of it was still there except $1,000. I asked them to refund the money to me, so I can deposit it back in my account. They are sending me the refund. I then check my account balance. Negative $4,500. I call my bank and let them know what has happened, and they inform me, that they were going to call me because they thought the check was suspicious, but now there is nothing they can do, I have to work out an arrangement with them or they will pursue legal action. I asked her if they thought it was suspicious why hadn't they put a hold on it, and she tells me that's not the banks responsibility. I then call Wells Fargo, give them the account information, and she states that the account was reported "lost or stolen" Friday morning. I asked when did they receive the check from my bank for processing, and she informs me that they processed the check on Tuesday. I asked if they cleared it on Tuesday. She said yes the check came through on Tuesday, it cleared, funds were released, it was done. So I asked her if it cleared on Tuesday, how are you going to ask for the money back, and she said because on Friday it was reported "lost or stolen" and they have to get that money back for their customer. I told her I understand what she is saying, but since the check cleared on Tuesday, they weren't informed of anything wrong until Friday, that they needed to honor the check. She said no, that's not how it works. I called and filed a police report. The police officer informs me that wells fargo needs to honor the check, and that my bank needs to go after Wells Fargo. He told me I needed to call Wells Fargo back and speak to a manager. I did, and the manager that I spoke with told me that since the check cleared Wells Fargo on Tuesday, that they shouldn't have asked my bank for the money back, and that my bank shouldn't have given it back. So first thing this morning I call my bank, to let them know what I found out. The lady from my bank, tells me that no, the check didn't clear Wells Fargo because it was a stolen check. I tell her, no, the check wasn't reported as being stolen until Friday, and the check cleared Wells Fargo on Tuesday, and that's what the Wells Fargo manager told me. My bank tells me no, that's not right, you need to pay this money. Okay WTF....I'm telling her what Wells Fargo told me and she is just dismissing it. I don't know what to do now. I filed a police report, I filed complaints with the Indiana Attorney General, FTC, IC3, California Bankers Assoc., FDIC, BBB. I don't know where to go from here. The "broker" on the letter was Ronnie Ellison, but there are others and other websites. Other "brokers" listed are Ryan Hoffman, Lindsey Hoffman, Betty Petrovich, Dianna Smith, Nick Williams, Fay Choung, A. Randall, C. Silver. The websites are www.jqbank.com, www.grantchecks.com, www.grantoutlet.com, www.beverlyhillsgrants.com.

Old 06-09-2007, 08:50 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Re: check scams.....what do I do now?

Domain Name: JQBANK.COM
Registrar: GO DADDY SOFTWARE, INC.
Whois Server: whois.godaddy.com
Referral URL: http://registrar.godaddy.com
Name Server: DNS1.REGISTERFLY.COM
Name Server: DNS2.REGISTERFLY.COM
Name Server: DNS3.REGISTERFLY.COM
Updated Date: 01-jun-2007
Creation Date: 05-nov-2006
Expiration Date: 05-nov-2007

>>> Last update of whois database: Sat, 09 Jun 2007 15:30:08 UTC <<<

Registrant:
Domains by Proxy, Inc.
DomainsByProxy.com
15111 N. Hayden Rd., Ste 160, PMB 353
Scottsdale, Arizona 85260
United States

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)
Domain Name: JQBANK.COM
Created on: 05-Nov-06
Expires on: 05-Nov-07
Last Updated on:

Administrative Contact:
Private, Registration JQBANK.COM@domainsbyproxy.com
Domains by Proxy, Inc.
DomainsByProxy.com
United States
(480) 624-2599 Fax -- (480) 624-2599

Technical Contact:
Private, Registration JQBANK.COM@domainsbyproxy.com
Domains by Proxy, Inc.
DomainsByProxy.com
United States
(480) 624-2599 Fax -- (480) 624-2599

Domain servers in listed order:
DNS1.REGISTERFLY.COM
DNS2.REGISTERFLY.COM
DNS3.REGISTERFLY.COM

This is information that I found on whois.

Old 06-09-2007, 08:58 PM
I am new at Scam.com

PLEASE, anybody that has any information about these people let me know, I fully intend on pursueing this. I am not going to take a hit like this.

Old 06-11-2007, 12:47 PM
I am new at Scam.com

i'm knew here someone else prolly has better advice, but if i were u i would probably conyact legal aid ASAP and find out what my legal rights are and what i can do. sometimes they can give u legal paperwork u can sen t bank or wells fargo or whomever stating there legal requirements and such . 9.9 out of 10 phone reps be it for the bank or anyone else Do NOT LISTEN to what u are saying in regards to a debt. I think most of them are trained to sit and listen and then deny all responsibilty and immediatly say :" so how will u be making a payment ?" I would stop bothering with them for the time being as it will only frustrate u more. I would however send a typed letter to the appropriate companys collection dept. stating my intent to dispute the dept. include in it your shortform reasons, any laws u are awaire of that back up your case ( again legal aid ) , actions u are currently taking to fix the situation ect. Your contact information should be added but never give them your cell phone #. Also exspect them to ignore this letter completley. It does cover your butt though in many ways when u have written them as far as your wish to dispute charges is concerned. I have been through it with a couple of creditors for unlawful/un-owed debts and this is important. Make sure it to send it certified mail and to kept the mailing receipt and a copy of the letter you sent them and anything they send u. It is also perfectly legal to record phone conversations with them as long as u state 1st thing:" do i have permisson to record this phone conversation ?" Sometimes they will hang up on u but i have met with some pretty immature people over the phone and it helps makes them act more professionaly . Hope i helped somehow. Good luck.

Old 06-11-2007, 12:49 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Let me apologize for my horrible grammar and spelling in my last post. I am up past my bedtime :)

Old 06-21-2007, 05:12 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Hello Something similiar to me happen with a check of an the amount of 4500 dollars and I took it to the bank not thinking ABOUT it ... and I had recieved a letter saying that I had to do much of this money in form of a Money Order One in the form of sent being wired western Union so on and so forth Well This Check was drawn of Seveirville County bank in Sevierville Tn I went to the bank and they say well we will put this check on hold for 5days and I said ok But what really gets me is They DIDN'T run it through a machine to see if it was even a real check til 3 days later they let me have 500 of the money Only because they had to hold the lump sum of money and When it hit the fraud depart Negative the Amount that I paid plus the amount of $500 which was gone practically by that time so the guy in the fraud dept told me I had 60days to come up with the amount of $845 I was like ok How was I supposed to know that it was scam and it was a counterfeit check Its not my fault you all didn't run it through a Machine to see if it was real so They sent me the over draft statement in the mail and even the copy of the check also and this Shadow Mystery shoppers Thats what the cashiers check was from it was made out from that bank some one had stolen a series of information so send these checks making them look like they were from Shadows Mystery Shoppers it was a Cashiers check in the amount of 4491.00 and even when I had went and called the bank they said it was legit and it was a recording of them answering as if they were from this bank
SO Yea The same thing has happen to me this is the 3rd time but the first two times I had turned the information over to the police not even the police could do anything with it they just shredded the travelers cheques cause they wanted me to cashed them and get the real money and send it back to them and even my brother has had the one from The Loan from the School happen to him so We have to be really careful there is still alot of Banks that are having scam alerts so Be careful out there

Last edited by pytbabygirl4u : 06-21-2007 at 05:46 PM.

Old 12-18-2009, 05:23 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkarr1979 View Post
I posted to another thread the other day, before I knew for sure this was a scam. Last week I received a check in the mail for $4,975. The letter stated that they had found a grant for me. I was to deposit/cash the check, load $3,500 on a greendot card, go back to their website and pay the commission. It stated that after he received the money he would then send the larger check to me overnight. First of all, I have applied for grants online, so I didn't think twice about that. The check was drawn on a wells fargo account. I called Wells Fargo, to see if the account even existed. I was told yes, that is an active account, and yes the funds are there. So I deposit the check into my account, and do everything the letter said to do. The check posted my account on Monday. My bank did not put any kind of hold on it. Like I said, I paid the "commission" and paid some bills. As the week went on, without receiving the "other" check I started to worry. I got online and find, it is a scam. First thing Friday, I called Greendot to see if the money has been taken from the card. All of it was still there except $1,000. I asked them to refund the money to me, so I can deposit it back in my account. They are sending me the refund. I then check my account balance. Negative $4,500. I call my bank and let them know what has happened, and they inform me, that they were going to call me because they thought the check was suspicious, but now there is nothing they can do, I have to work out an arrangement with them or they will pursue legal action. I asked her if they thought it was suspicious why hadn't they put a hold on it, and she tells me that's not the banks responsibility. I then call Wells Fargo, give them the account information, and she states that the account was reported "lost or stolen" Friday morning. I asked when did they receive the check from my bank for processing, and she informs me that they processed the check on Tuesday. I asked if they cleared it on Tuesday. She said yes the check came through on Tuesday, it cleared, funds were released, it was done. So I asked her if it cleared on Tuesday, how are you going to ask for the money back, and she said because on Friday it was reported "lost or stolen" and they have to get that money back for their customer. I told her I understand what she is saying, but since the check cleared on Tuesday, they weren't informed of anything wrong until Friday, that they needed to honor the check. She said no, that's not how it works. I called and filed a police report. The police officer informs me that wells fargo needs to honor the check, and that my bank needs to go after Wells Fargo. He told me I needed to call Wells Fargo back and speak to a manager. I did, and the manager that I spoke with told me that since the check cleared Wells Fargo on Tuesday, that they shouldn't have asked my bank for the money back, and that my bank shouldn't have given it back. So first thing this morning I call my bank, to let them know what I found out. The lady from my bank, tells me that no, the check didn't clear Wells Fargo because it was a stolen check. I tell her, no, the check wasn't reported as being stolen until Friday, and the check cleared Wells Fargo on Tuesday, and that's what the Wells Fargo manager told me. My bank tells me no, that's not right, you need to pay this money. Okay WTF....I'm telling her what Wells Fargo told me and she is just dismissing it. I don't know what to do now. I filed a police report, I filed complaints with the Indiana Attorney General, FTC, IC3, California Bankers Assoc., FDIC, BBB. I don't know where to go from here. The "broker" on the letter was Ronnie Ellison, but there are others and other websites. Other "brokers" listed are Ryan Hoffman, Lindsey Hoffman, Betty Petrovich, Dianna Smith, Nick Williams, Fay Choung, A. Randall, C. Silver. The websites are www.jqbank.com, www.grantchecks.com, www.grantoutlet.com, www.beverlyhillsgrants.com.
I just purchaces a GREENDOT Visa a few months ago. I received a letter stating I had been given a grant of $10,000. The check they sent me was $979.00 and I cashed it. I asked my bank if it was legit and they said "Merry Christmas" you just got a grant! I was supposed to send in 4.06% back in a GREENDOT money pak. I was supposed to fax it to this fax # or take it to Kinkos to fax it to them, OR pay it on GREENDOT.COM. I went to the site and it was the legit Greendot site. The letter stated that it was to help start my own business or pay off debt, or use however I seen fit. Once I sent them the 4.06%, they were to airmail the rest($9,020.55) the instant they received payment. I have not sent it and still in the time frame to send it. My brother in law found your post and sent it to me. I am on disability and there is no way I could pay this back. I called my bank and they also said it had cleared. Now...I have the $406.00 to send back to them and I don't know what to do. I , obviously am not going to send it. Should I put it in my bank account to cover the part I did spend? Should I call the police? I really do not know what to do at this stage of their "game". I spent a little over $500. Saved the rest to buy a GREENDOT money pak to send them. I just do not know what to do with the rest of it since I can't send it back nor spend it. Thank you for posting this. I looked at other scam sites to see if I could find it and I couldn't. I have my letter. I want to nail these people! I will do what I can to help. This is GREENDOT like yours. Any suggestions of what I should do with the remaining money? I do not know alot about the finance thing as I am disabled. Anyone, please help! This is the info....
Fax #...626-737-9633 or 626-410-1134. Grant broker...MARILYN RITCHIE Merchant # 8549@ the greendot aid plan. Site: www.sendgreendot.com with Marily Ritchie and her "merchant number". BTW, I never applied for a grant. Just thought it was due to the Visa I got from them and they said they seen I could use this grant. Too good to be true, and thats why I have not yet sent the rest of the $. I want to NAIL these people to the WALL! I also am so sorry that this happened to you. I am glad you are taking it to the people who you need to. Good luck!