report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER
Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Business Scams
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2007, 04:14 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Auto Body Work

So this guy notices my girlfriend has a dent in the door of her car and he offers to save her a lot of money by fixing it for $200 right there on the spot. No need to pay until he is done and she approves of the job. But when he finishes he has the work covered up by a white compound to protect the finish from the weather for 24 hours. She pays him and when she later removes the compound, the car is a mess and she is out $200.

Old 06-04-2007, 08:33 PM
Walking Questionnaire

Re: Auto Body Work

Is this compound bondo? And, how big was the dent? Also, was this guy licensed to do body work? If so, for what company/garage? If the dent was fixable for less than $200, and, if you can pull off sounding cornered and mislead by this guy, and that you feel that you didn't get the service you paid for, you could go after this guy for quite a bit of money...

Old 06-05-2007, 09:16 AM
Newbie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjkemp04
Is this compound bondo? And, how big was the dent? Also, was this guy licensed to do body work? If so, for what company/garage? If the dent was fixable for less than $200, and, if you can pull off sounding cornered and mislead by this guy, and that you feel that you didn't get the service you paid for, you could go after this guy for quite a bit of money...
You can have some dents removed with those dentless auto repair shops or service vehicles that even come to your job or at your home. No need for those compound stuff. I had it done to my buick and in a matter of minutes job was done.

Old 06-07-2007, 09:51 AM
Newbie Member

That's why we pay for car insurance. Deductables can be as low as $250, making it possible to fix what you feel needs fixing based on appeals or maintaining the value of that car.

Old 06-08-2007, 03:48 PM
Walking Questionnaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by richpzego
You can have some dents removed with those dentless auto repair shops or service vehicles that even come to your job or at your home. No need for those compound stuff. I had it done to my buick and in a matter of minutes job was done.
No kidding. OR, you could go buy a dent remover for $40. That's why I was asking how big the dent was. And those dent removers work if you use them right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GollyGee
That's why we pay for car insurance. Deductables can be as low as $250, making it possible to fix what you feel needs fixing based on appeals or maintaining the value of that car.
Really, don't you think that he thought of this already? And not to mention the fact that the dent could have well been (and most likely was) cause by Denny's girlfriend. Do you realize how touchy insurance agencies are anymore? Even if you have a clean record, accident forgiveness is not very prevalent, and when it is around (All State), you have to pay to have that service available! Insurance companies are scams in themselves, and will not fix this problem, and your post doesn't help, so next time when you're trying to offer "wisdom," don't.

Old 03-25-2009, 04:24 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Wish I had known. And... maybe I haven't been scammed, but - well - I probably have been. I did that "we'll do your door right now for $200" thing. The guys were very nice (they would be, though, wouldn't they?), and left me with that compound on the car. I went to a carwash today, and the compound didn't come off. I called the number they gave me and (good sign, I guess) he answered. Supposedly, they'll see me next monday and make it good. Feel like a bit of a git right now. Guys names are Ronnie and Danny, and I met them in Culver City. Danny showed me a NY Yankees tattoo.

Last edited by pbasch : 03-25-2009 at 04:26 PM.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:16 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Unfortunately I had never heard about this and it happend to me last weekend. Two men driving next to me saw a dent in my car and told me they could fix that along with some others while I was shopping. They said they could do it all for $200.00, whch sounded like a bargain. They explained that they were doing a job for their company and had the tools and before they went back to work they wanted to make some money. I did not have time to let it all sink in and it took them all of 20 minutes. I realize now that they try to do it fast because I started getting a feeling that things were not right when I saw that they left a compound that covered the whole side of my car. Their license plat was from Arizona. They gave me a fake number and told me to take my car to the car wash the next day. The guys there told me that they are seeing cases like this weekly. It turns out that the compound they put on my car stripped my paint and now I have to have the whole care painted. I feel very stupid and angry.

Old 06-04-2009, 03:13 PM
I am new at Scam.com

This just happened to me too. The guy said his name was Daniel, Russian, from Chicago. He said he works for A&L Auto in Pasadena.

He rolled down his window and said he could fix the dent in my car for $150. He built up trust as I watched him work, said he was a man of the Lord and even tried to convert me, needed extra money for his wife and kid, etc. He had all of the tools in his car, a torch, dent remover, etc., was well-spoken and seemed very knowledgeable about fixing cars. I can usually sniff out a shady character, but this guy was real convincing.

He did the work and put the compound/wax all over the work, saying to let it dry for a few hours and then it would wipe right off. The next morning I washed the car and it looked horrible. Different shades, some flat, some glossy, primer all over the good paint and the chrome and smeared look. Body shops said he completely ruined the paint and it would be $1500 to fix correctly.

Watch out for a guy driving a Honda named Daniel Martinoff in Los Angeles. Again, he will say his is of Russian decent, from Chicago and works for A&L Auto in Pasadena. The number he gave me is 626-975-1351.

Old 11-03-2009, 10:05 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Exactly how is this a scam? I saw this exact thing taking place and my neighbor and I disagreed on whether this was a scam. The fellows doing the repair stopped by his house and solicited the repair work upon observing the dent. The said they had the tools with them to do the job.

I believe this happened to my parents about 15 years ago so I am falling short on the details. I do remember that the compound does obsure the quality of the work. You have to take a rag, close your eyes, and run your hand over the repair area in order to feel the low quality work e.g. it isn't visible to the eye.

Common sense would imply the answer to the following question. "How rich do you have to be to get your auto body repair mechanic to make a house call?"

Could someone explain exactly how this is a scam?

Old 01-05-2010, 02:22 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Wow to boylost. I had the EXACT same person run this scam on me as well back in December. The difference was that he said he was with an A&L Auto in Fremont and even gave me the same number. Daniel actually drove up to me as with two friends of his, a younger-looking guy named Robert and an older rounder guy whom I forgot his name. Robert did most of the talking and looked almost Middle Eastern, but they told me they were from the Ukraine. I know how you feel when you said they seemed like upstanding guys. They said they could fix a scratch on my door for $200, and I was further suckered in to believing them because he actually fixed a light scratch on my bumper for me and let me see it before anything else was done.

I watched as they hammered out the scratch on the door and put some paint on it, and I actually saw that the majority of the dent was going away. Unfortunately, they put that compound on saying it was to protect as the paint dried, and after I paid them and removed the compound I saw that the paint didn't even match! True there wasn't as much denting, but the scratch was even more obvious now with the huge square of paint now separating it from the rest of my door color. I called him a few times after I saw how bad the work was and he even said he would call me back in a few days to come fix it for me, but eventually he never called nor picked up my phone calls. So I guess I just paid $200 to cover up a small scratch on my bumper, which I expect in a couple months might even fade away. I doubt the police can help since I agreed to the work, but I wonder if it might be possible to take him to court for damages? His phone number after all should be linked to an address.

Last edited by bofh : 01-05-2010 at 02:31 PM.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:15 AM
cef17

The same thing happened to us... daniel Martinoff rolled up on us at Best Buy and said he could fix our dents... he provided a cell number of 626 230-5063, said he lived in alhambra and that he was employed with A&L auto body. I contacted a private investigator and he confirmed his residence in alhambra Calif. Our damages to both our vehicles was over 10,000.00 in repairs to two door panels, a hood and a bumper. Please email me as we are filing a claim against him in Pasadena court house and have gone to the police station.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:20 AM
cef17

Please call us or email us at catherinefalkma@yahoo.com... we are going to the pasadena police department and filing criminal charges against him as our damages were well over 10,000.00...any extra names for us would help to stop this con man. He rolled up in a mustang with a supposed relative to help do the work...he charged us $500.00 for both cars saying the bondo would come off the next morning but when we removed the tape, the hood, bumper and two side doors were destroyed on brand new toyotas.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:47 AM
cef17

Daniel Martinof Alert

To everyone out there... beware of a gypsy Russian on the run, age 22, DOB 9/16/1989, social 609-16-xxxx, last residing at 236 s curtis ave apt A, Alhambra, then residing at 103 N. Curtis Ave in Alhambra, also 121 1/2 South Olive Ave. in Alhambra.. young punk drives around in Honda's paired up with another young Russian as they attempt to scam body work on a dented vehicle. This Russian gypsy is associated with a Lisa Johnson, Steven B. Johnson, Archie Marinoff, Debra Johnson/Martinoff, James D. Johnson, Larry Johnson. Family members currently reside at 401 North Curtis in Alhambra and some family resides at 121 1/2 s. olive ave, alhambra if you need to find some of them.

Old 01-29-2011, 01:49 PM
I am new at Scam.com

I am new around here and am very glad to have seen this thread. Wow I came oh so close to falling into this trap. Two men pulled up in an older beat up red car. One guy white the other possibly hispanic They said they could fix my scratch very small dent for $150.00 dollars and it would take only 30 mins to do. They could do it while I was in the store. I could only pay if I approved it. He really pressured me big time. I even called the number and was gonna schedule it done for tomorrow. I had a bad feeling so I googled. I told the guys I had to my talk to my husband first. I said I'd only let them do it with him around. It came to me when I was on my way home. No way could someone have see that small a scratch from 6-8 feet away. They had to have scoped my car out first. Thanks for having started this thread.

Old 02-16-2011, 04:57 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Door-to-door auto body repair scam. Toronto, ON.

My parents were at home on a long weekend in July of 2007. Their 1996 Lexus E300 was parked on the driveway in front of their house. I came home to find out they'd made a deal with some slimy guy that looked like Lenny Leonard of the Simpsons to refinish the scuffed up front and rear bumpers right in the driveway, while a beefy bodyguard hung out in an old black Mercedes-Benz on the street. I wish I had made mental note of the license plate as I pulled up to the house (as I often do) but I had no idea what was going on. I even talked to "Lenny" myself and he told me he was in the neighbourhood offering low cost quick scratch repair and he seemed a semi-decent guy. He went to work on the car with a bucket of soap and water and a can of spray paint, put a white compound on the area that he supposedly repaired and told us we had to wait 24 hours until it dried then we could wash it off. Boy, how stupid were we. He gave us a business card, took the money and left. The next day once the white stuff came off the areas were the same or worse than before and we knew we'd been had; now I know you have to do paint in a proper booth in a shop and it isn't something you can do with a spray can on-site. When we called the number on the business card the bodyshop manager said he didn't know anything about this "Lenny" guy but that he had had multiple calls about the same scam. We reported it to Toronto Police but they couldn't do anything without evidence. I cannot tell you how angry I am - I'm still SEETHING over having the wool pulled over my eyes three years later. We should have known better. How dare this dishonest crook take advantage of us?

Please whatever you do don't buy anything from people who come door-to-door. Get identification, do your homework and don't feel pressured into saying yes to these con men.

I hope this dirt bag and his bruiser buddy die a slow and painful death.

Seems like this scam is all over North America so be cautious, always question the legitimacy of an offer - especially when they sound too good to be true - and report all suspicious activity to your local police department.

Last edited by Toronto Girl : 02-17-2011 at 05:26 PM.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:39 PM
I am new at Scam.com

I actually witnessed this happen first hand today to a woman in the parking lot of a local drug store. I knew something was suspicious so I took some vid of these 3 guys kinda gypsy looking hop out of an older tan honda go to "work" on this ladies' suv. Once I edit the down time on the video I took I'll post it!

Old 04-17-2011, 02:03 AM
I am new at Scam.com

*****slist scams for dent repair

http://cnj.*****slist.org/aos/2322642502.html

201-667-0642 scam

IF YOU SEE AN ADS FOR SEND US YOUR PICTURES, FREE ESTIMATES, 60%, 70%, 80%, OR 99% OFF ON MOBILE BODY FENDER BUMPER FIX, YOU ARE ABOUT TO BE A VICTIM OF A SCAM. THESE LOSERS WILL TELL YOU ANYTHING INCLUDING SELLING THEIR MOTHER TO GET YOUR CASH. THEY ARE ILLEGAL AND NO GOOD. THEY WILL JUST RUIN YOUR CAR, STEAL FROM YOUR HOME OR GARAGE AND SCAM YOU FOR YOUR CASH AND YOU WILL NEVER SEE THEM AGAIN. MOBILE BODY SHOPS ARE A BIG SCAM, FAKE AND PHONY

Old 05-05-2011, 07:57 AM
cef17

If You Are Reading This Now, It Is Probably Too Late.. This Guy Daniel Is A Gyptsy Going Up And Down California's Coast Trying To Fix Dents With A Cousin Of His. I Did A Background And I Have His Information But He Is In A Family Of Gyptsys Always On The Move With A Home Base In Alhambra. He Destroys Cars And Needs To Be In Jail. His Family Of Females Wear Long Dresses And Steal Items In Their Dresses From Convenient Stores In Alhambra. The Entire Family Is A Sham.