report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER  

Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Auction Scams
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2007, 09:16 AM
I am new at Scam.com

PoliceAuctions.com a Scam?

I have heard of police auctions in real life that my friends went to and got some stuff, even cars for very cheap. But is this site real? Do you really get the item? Just wondering.

Old 12-27-2007, 04:11 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Re: PoliceAuctions.com a Scam?

Well, I bought a 14K white gold ring with 16 diamonds that was supposedly worth an estimated $2000. I won the bid for it at $400.
I later went to sell it after a few months, and the most that I could get for it was $25. The lesson that I have learned is the fact that if you don't know anything about jewelry, stay away from these type of items. I don't know about the rest of their products, but you will notice that this site mainly sells jewelry. I was surely pissed off!:grrr:

Old 12-27-2007, 04:24 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyingBlade View Post
I have heard of police auctions in real life that my friends went to and got some stuff, even cars for very cheap. But is this site real? Do you really get the item? Just wondering.
I bid on a site called propertyroom.com, it is a government/police auction site...I know that everything that I have bid on and won, has been as described...plus, some regular businesses sell things, on this one anyway, totally aside from the confiscated booty they sell for the cops.

Old 12-27-2007, 04:59 PM
Wheres my Spam? Ask your friendly neighborhood moderator.. ME

Here are legit auction sites for govt auctions.. If you specifically want police auctions just watch your local paper or go to your sheriffs website to find out when the auctions will be taking place. DON'T pay to join a site (I didn't look at the specific site you are asking about to see if they have a fee but if they do..why pay for something you can get for free?)

http://www.bid4assets.com

http://www.treas.gov/auctions

http://www.treas.gov/auctions/irs/index.html

Old 01-07-2008, 11:18 AM
Bronze Member

This one is legit it is operated by a police dept in CA bought many a item from them always sends them out promptly ebay style auctions

http://www.propertyroom.com/

Old 10-04-2008, 08:58 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Propertyroom.com is a real site that auctions off recovered and seized property that is being held by various police departments. They also sell and auction off new items from various dealers.
I have bid and won some items and the items arrived in the condition described on the site with one exception. A digital camera was said to have been tested and in working condition with minor scuff marks.
The camera arrived with almost no visible marks but most of the camera functions and menus did not work. Buyer beware that most items are used and you can not return them unless the wrong item or quantity was shipped.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:18 AM
I am new at Scam.com

To the person who bought the ring:

If you take your jewelry to most any shop or pawn shop to sell it, they will pay for the scrape weight gold price ONLY, not for the beauty, diamonds or anything else. If you want an accurate "estimate" you can have it appraised then sell it independently with the appraisal. I work with my family's business in jewelry, We do buy scrape but we also buy used jewelry (Non-scrape) at more fair prices. Most shops you take them to are just looking to doubling their money or better by pulling the diamonds out, or any other gemstone, and tossing the gold in a bag to send in for scrap, especially when golds 1,000.00/troy ounce.

Hope this helps someone!
Trot

Old 10-08-2008, 12:21 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks, those sites look good and you don't have to pay to join them.
$150/day online in 8 steps - Free guide Right Here...

Old 12-25-2008, 01:19 PM
I am new at Scam.com

What you said Trot is very true. Jewelers are not going to give a straight answer on value especially if you did not buy from them. They hate competition, especially from online.

I looked through policeauctions.com and I noticed that every listing has a huge disclaimer on values that states they are for insurance purposes only, not market value, and to not base bidding on the values. The original poster of this thread probably didn't bother to read the listing, a typical newbie mistake on any auction site.

When I joined policeauctions.com, I chose free membership. It didn't give me access to everything, but there were plenty of bidding opportunities even as a free member. I bid and won an awesome 1917 gold coin for my coin collection and was happy with the transaction. That coin was the last I needed for a series of years in my collection. I was impressed by how fast I got it and the fact that I could track shipping from the site. It turned out to be much easier to use than other auction sites I have purchased from.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:45 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Police auctions.com is a complete joke. Check out my blog. I am on a quest to make sure as many people as possible find out about this unscrupulous "company." They need to be shut down. Tell your friends, tell your neighbors, tell everyone. And if you find people who have been victimized by these con men/women tell them to write to me. I want to gather as much evidence, as many stories, as I can to send to the authorities and shut these people down. A thief is a thief whether he hides behind a mask or an internet site.
DO NOT USE POLICEAUCTIONS.COM!!!!!!!

Old 03-10-2009, 05:41 PM
I am new at Scam.com

beware policeauctions.com

Buyer beware. Policeauctions.com is a scam. The item that is posted that you think you are bidding on is not the item you are actually purchasing. The Estimated Retail Value is a "computer generated"(whatever that means, or is it just a fancy word for "inflated") figure that has absolutely no, and this is verified by the "company" itself, validity at all. Why it is called ERV or estimated retail value is simply to coerce the uninformed consumer into thinking their costume jewelry is actually worth something.
I bought a ring with an ERV of $1600 for about $125. What a deal I thought, until I opened the package and saw that the ring in the picture was not even close to the ring in the box. Imagine the picture of a Big Mac as opposed to the actual thing. I had the ring appraised and it was worth some $20. I sent the ring back, and received my money back, minus a 15% "restocking fee," if the "company" does this with say a hundred or so victims they make a neat little profit by doing absolutely nothing. They come across as best they can as "professionals" but conmen and are conmen whether they write eloquently or not.
Beware, do not use policeauctions.com!

Old 04-05-2009, 02:46 PM
I am new at Scam.com

thank you for the information ppl....
i have bought a ring from policeauctions.com before checking this site out..... any idea where i can get the ring appraised ?

Old 04-06-2009, 10:42 AM
Newbie Member

We thought we would jump in here to avoid the confusion that can occur on anonymous blogs. This is an official answer from the PoliceAuctions.com company.

You should take the ring to a certified gemologist, not a jeweler. Jewelers tend to lowball and poison the consumer experience because it is a competitive situation. You didn't buy the ring from them and they are angry about that, even if they are smiling at you.

A certified gemologist on the other hand will render a professional opinion in writing. It's been our experience that in every case, the professionally appraised value is higher than the amount paid by the customer.

Unfortunately, gemologists charge for their services and many people rely on jewelers instead, which drives a lot of anger in these blogs. Gold is over $900 per ounce and yet some jeweler tells a customer his gold and diamond ring is only worth $20. This has really hurt out customer satisfaction in these few cases, so we no longer comment on replacement value. Also note that when we did comment on estimated replacement value, we had a huge disclaimer that specifically stated it was not a market value, was to be used for insurance purposes only, and to not use as a basis for bidding and that to do so rendered it null and void.

If you are unhappy with the ring you purchased, contact PoliceAuctions.com customer support to make arrangements to return the ring, even if you are outside of the 7 day return policy (reference this blog as an exception). You don't need to have a gemology report to do so.

We generally waive restocking fees on returns on jewelery when there is a dispute on the gemology or value. Restocking fees are never popular, but it is a wholesale transaction and credit card fees (about 5%) and shipping fees represent straight loss to the company and in most cases (except noted above with jewelery), we attempt to cover those losses when items are returned.

The customer who complained on the blog was refunded 100%. His case was initially handled by someone new who made a mistake, so there was delay, but we sorted it out eventually.

In conclusion, we'd like to say that we are a very customer-friendly site and that if you have a problem, we would encourage you to call our toll-free support. We will work hard for your customer satisfaction.

Old 04-06-2009, 02:33 PM
I am new at Scam.com

In response to the policeauctions.com official response. Hogwash!!! This "company" acts as if you give a full refund for their junk then they are released from liability. Yes, I got a full refund, because I made an issue of it. If a crook pays restitution, does that make him no longer a crook? The point is that this "company" puts pictures of merchandise on its website, makes the customer think that is what he/she is bidding on, then sends absolute junk out in hopes that the customer simply won't get around to sending it back. They also give what they call an "estimated retail value" but then claim that it is a useless computer generated figure that has absolutely no credibility at all. But they call it "estimated retail value." It's "companies" like these that give legitimate internet companies a bad name. Instead of continuing to try and "explain" themselves, they ought to close down and go find some honest jobs.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:53 AM
Newbie Member

We're tempted to say that Nesta's post is proof you can't satisfy everyone, no matter how hard you try.

Rather than blaming him though, which is also tempting since he tends to exaggerate, claiming items don't match the photos and overlooking small details such as the fact that we never offered "Estimated Retail Values," we have to blame ourselves. We did have "Estimated Replacement Values" for insurance purposes at one time, but we no longer comment on value since it can lead to a poor customer experience if the disclaimer is ignored or it is misunderstood as it clearly was in Nesta's case.

It's also tempting to lay into him for characterizing us as criminals selling junk who don't actually give refunds, but we need to take the high road here and blame ourselves again because we initially dropped the ball in his case. All we can say about that is to again apologize and point out that a full refund has been given.

Our terms of service state that a customer can obtain a full refund (no restocking fee) if they disagree with the gemology (we don't require proof), so Nesta is not special, we will do that for anyone. If you have questions about that call customer service toll-free using the number that appears at the top right of PoliceAuctions.com.

We have auctioned over 80,000 items in the last few years, with overwhelmingly positive results and happy customers. There have been a very small number of complaints that we have addressed as best we can. Any company can drop the ball on occasion, but not every company works as hard as we do to try to make it right.

It's probably too late for Nesta to change his mind about the company. Nevertheless, we continue to strive to make the site better, easier to understand, with full disclosure on all auction terms and policies.

Last edited by thecompanyresponse : 04-13-2009 at 10:27 AM.

Old 04-20-2009, 02:07 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Hey fellas we are getting close. Keep working.
I find it really ironic that the policeauctions.com "company" would accuse me of exaggerating, when they are the ones who deliberately exaggerated their ERV so that people would think they are bidding on an item that is actually worth something. They also accused me of ignoring or misinterpreting their disclaimer. I did neither, my contention has always been that when there is such a huge discrepancy between their estimated value and the actual value, remember it was $1600 "ERV" and the actual worth was $20, then they don't need a "disclaimer" they just need to stop their deceitful practice. Oh, and glory be, they have! I am sure they did not do it because of my complaints or because they actually care about their customers, I'm sure they acted on the advise of their attorney.
But in the end, they still have not taken full responsibility because they have not admitted that the item in the photo that I was led to believe I was bidding on was not the item they shipped to me. It had a slight similarity, like Marge Simpson has a slight similarity to Jennifer Aniston, but was not the same item.
They have made progress though, and I give them credit. This also proves the worth of "scams.com." It is nice to know we, the consumers, have places to go to warn others of "companies" like policeauctions.com. Otherwise, these deceitful "companies" would just continue their greedy practices unimpeded.
Thank you scams.com.

Last edited by nesta2814 : 04-20-2009 at 02:09 PM. Reason: grammatical error

Old 04-21-2009, 03:39 PM
Newbie Member

Nesta, Thank you for giving us "some credit." The so-called "item mismatch" was not noted in your original call and is impossible to verify at this point.

Obviously we don't charge people for wrong items, no business could last 5 minutes doing that and we've been in business for 10 years. And yet, somehow your customer service experience turned into a confused mess.

Since we have already gone point by point in previous posts about why we disagree with you, let's stop the rehash.

We do take responsibility for your poor customer service experience, which we have since rectified. It was an exception, not a rule, and we do again apologize for it. No one is perfect. We'd like to leave it at that.

Last edited by thecompanyresponse : 04-21-2009 at 03:50 PM.

Old 05-19-2009, 05:23 PM
Newbie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglepete View Post
I bid on a site called propertyroom.com, it is a government/police auction site.
They're legit, I assume?