report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER  

Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Internet Scams
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2007, 04:27 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Paypal Letter Question

OK,
I am sure all of you have seen the old paypal letter that claims you can "earn" thousands of dollars and asks you to "donate" 5 or 6 or 10 dollars. I know that there are problems and loopholes in how it works (or should I say, doesn't work).
Here is my question:
Has anyone found any definitive proof that this program is illegal. If so please let me know where to find this information. I have been looking for a few days in search engines but can't find anything... I would like the arsenal to be able to talk to some friends of mine who are considering doing this absurd program.
Anyway, I don't mean to open a can of worms, I just want to know for sure if it is illegal or just stupid. :)
Thanks for the help in advance!

Old 05-21-2007, 05:00 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Paypal Letter Question

Illegal and stupid.

"VERY" on both.

What else would you like to know? :)

Old 05-21-2007, 05:21 AM
Lady Moderator- Just call me Your Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenboy07
Here is my question:
Has anyone found any definitive proof that this program is illegal. If so please let me know where to find this information. I have been looking for a few days in search engines but can't find anything... I would like the arsenal to be able to talk to some friends of mine who are considering doing this absurd program.
Anyway, I don't mean to open a can of worms, I just want to know for sure if it is illegal or just stupid. :)
Thanks for the help in advance!
http://www.usps.com/postalinspectors/fraud/chainlet.htm

Chain Letters

A chain letter is a "get rich quick" scheme that promises that your mail box will soon be stuffed full of cash if you decide to participate. You're told you can make thousands of dollars every month if you follow the detailed instructions in the letter.

A typical chain letter includes names and addresses of several individuals whom you may or may not know. You are instructed to send a certain amount of money--usually $5--to the person at the top of the list, and then eliminate that name and add yours to the bottom. You are then instructed to mail copies of the letter to a few more individuals who will hopefully repeat the entire process. The letter promises that if they follow the same procedure, your name will gradually move to the top of the list and you'll receive money -- lots of it.

There's at least one problem with chain letters. They're illegal if they request money or other items of value and promise a substantial return to the participants. Chain letters are a form of gambling, and sending them through the mail (or delivering them in person or by computer, but mailing money to participate) violates Title 18, United States Code, Section 1302, the Postal Lottery Statute. (Chain letters that ask for items of minor value, like picture postcards or recipes, may be mailed, since such items are not things of value within the meaning of the law.)

Recently, high-tech chain letters have begun surfacing. They may be disseminated over the Internet, or may require the copying and mailing of computer disks rather than paper. Regardless of what technology is used to advance the scheme, if the mail is used at any step along the way, it is still illegal.

The main thing to remember is that a chain letter is simply a bad investment. You certainly won't get rich. You will receive little or no money. The few dollars you may get will probably not be as much as you spend making and mailing copies of the chain letter.

Chain letters don't work because the promise that all participants in a chain letter will be winners is mathematically impossible. Also, many people participate, but do not send money to the person at the top of the list. Some others create a chain letter that lists their name numerous times--in various forms with different addressee. So, in reality, all the money in a chain is going to one person.

Do not be fooled if the chain letter is used to sell inexpensive reports on credit, mail order sales, mailing lists, or other topics. The primary purpose is to take your money, not to sell information. "Selling" a product does not ensure legality. Be doubly suspicious if there's a claim that the U.S. Postal Service or U.S. Postal Inspection Service has declared the letter legal. This is said only to mislead you. Neither the Postal Service nor Postal Inspectors give prior approval to any chain letter.

Participating in a chain letter is a losing proposition. Turn over any chain letter you receive that asks for money or other items of value to your local postmaster or nearest Postal Inspector. Write on the mailing envelope of the letter or in a separate transmittal letter, "I received this in the mail and believe it may be illegal."

More info:

http://www.breakthechain.org/exclusives/paypal.html

The rise of on-line payment services like PayPal changed that. PayPal and their ilk provide their members with online debit accounts they can use to make or receive secure payments at a variety of web sites. Adapting a pyramid scheme to PayPal payments reduces the time required to build the pyramid and circumvents some federal regulation and control, but it doesn't make them any more legal. Title 18, section 1302 & 1341 of the US Postal and Lottery Laws actually states that chain letters are illegal "if they request money or other items of value and promise a substantial return to the participants."

Paypal ter ms of service identify MLM as one possible violation:

Quote:
"You agree that you will not use PayPal to accept payment for illegal products or services... You will not use the Service, the PayPal website or any of the services offered therein for any unlawful or fraudulent activity. If PayPal has reason to believe that you may be engaging in or have engaged in fraudulent, unlawful, or improper activity... your access to the Service may be suspended or terminated. You will cooperate fully with PayPal to investigate any suspected unlawful, fraudulent or improper activity, including but not limited to granting authorized PayPal representatives "guest" or "member" access to any password-protected portions of your website.

"You also agree not to use your PayPal account to sell securities, business opportunities, franchises, multi-level marketing, or goods with delivery delayed more than 20 days from the date of payment. You agree not to impersonate a PayPal User or a PayPal representative, or to request that a PayPal customer provide you with their password or other information to access their account."

In addition, your e-mail provider may prohibit using your account for MLM schemes. Most will shut down your account if they discover you using it for that purpose, and some will even prosecute you for illegal activity.

When we are unable to find tranquility within ourselves, it is useless to
seek it elsewhere.
---= Francois de La Rochefoucauld

Old 05-21-2007, 08:03 AM
Silver Member

I heard this was a scam but I dont believe you guys saying something promising me a billion dollars if I pay them $3.50 is a scam so prove it or else ill assume I can retire young by only investing $11 online

Old 05-22-2007, 04:59 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Thanks for all the info sojustask!
GL all!
Dave

Old 05-22-2007, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenboy07
Thanks for all the info sojustask!
GL all!
Dave

You're welcome.

Lady Mod

seek it elsewhere.

Old 05-22-2007, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skulles
I heard this was a scam but I dont believe you guys saying something promising me a billion dollars if I pay them $3.50 is a scam so prove it or else ill assume I can retire young by only investing $11 online
I don't have a clue what YOU are talking about so I'll have to guess that you just are NOT the sharpest tool in the shed.

Lady Mod

seek it elsewhere.

Old 05-25-2007, 05:56 PM
Silver Member

So Jack traded their milk cow for some magic beans. He took them home and planted them, but the beans did not grow.

You cannot protect someone from themself.

Old 05-27-2007, 07:43 AM
maliaam6

PENNY FOR YOUR THOUGHTS: Another Scum Program

I won't tell you the program so you won't join and get into trouble with paypal, or scammed. Paypal thinks these guys are just sending money but using paypal to advertise their programs. From paypal these guys send, or email, you $0.01 with the 'note'. That alone is spam. In this 'note' is an ad-spam. Will never work!! The problem is there are fools born every minute and go for it. Paypal will not bother with it since money is being sent to a paypal member. We can stop them 'note spams' you know. All you have to do is send the 'note spam' to paypal customer support.

WHO EVER THOUGHT UP THAT FOOLISH TECHNIQUE, OWNER, MUST BE DESPERATE AND IS THE WORST SPAMMER OF ALL HIS/HER SPAM MEMBERS!

WARNING!!!!!! DON'T JOIN THOSE SCUMS - YOU MAY LOSE YOUR ACCOUNT ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE MONEY IN THERE. IT'S NOT WORTH THE PENNY!

Levi

P.S. Here's what I sent to Paypal Support...

Hello Paypal,

I'm tired of these people sending one-cents to my account for nothing. You can see them in my Account. When they do this I recieve an email from you letting me know someone 'sent money' to me. This alone disturbs my private paypal email account I have with you and waste of my time.
Also, after going into my account I find not only one-cent sent to me, and I Thank them LOL, but in the Note-message that we usually all send to thank someone, etc, etc, for their service is an advertisement. Seems these people are making a mockery out of paypal. I can't believe these got past paypal security.

I understand that because monies sent it's ok, but the way they are using you is just to EASY!

Thank you kindly,
Levi

Last edited by maliaam6 : 05-27-2007 at 08:09 AM.

Old 05-29-2007, 04:28 PM
Silver Member

I would be curious if Paypal replies to your note. Generally they are quite good a looking out for themselves - period. Please let us know if you get a reply.

Old 06-25-2007, 08:43 AM
I am new at Scam.com

talk about deja vu

PLEASE DO NOT TRY TO PUT YOURSELF IN FIFTH PLACE WITHOUT PAYING, AS PAYPAL WILL AUTOMATICALLY NOTICE THIS AND DELETE YOUR ACCOUNT AND POSSIBLY PURSUE LEGAL ACTION, SINCE THIS IS A LEGITIMATE PROGRAM, AND THEY ARE PART OF IT!

I got one like this here

(8) Next send out this letter to at least 200 people until you get 'Thanks I've joined'
emails. The fifth person is the monitor of this list! When your name is in the 1st slot,
8,000 to 15,000 people will send you 10 dollars! You get out of life what you put into
it...and what goes around comes around. That describes this opportunity in a nutshell!

You probably have seen this on Oprah, 20/20 or read about it in the Wall Street Journal. You have probably received junk mail and currently receive emails about this simple program, but just delete them. I know I have! But this time I decided to give it a try.

I got a email with that just now and had to join and post this

Old 07-08-2007, 07:06 AM
Newbie Member

there are scammers using paypal to get your account info//never give out info on the net like that.

Old 07-11-2007, 04:14 AM
I am new at Scam.com

marina mesion
10-18-76
052 62 8225

Old 07-15-2007, 05:25 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Wow. The spammers must not like me for some reason?? :) No skin off my back! :D I've been using PayPal since the dial up days when AOL was the ONLY way to access the internet and I've NEVER received anything like that? My guess is that you probably sign up for something along the way without realizing that there is fine print that gives them access to this? Which still doesn't make it legal, though.

Old 07-25-2007, 11:35 PM
Newbie Member

Can someone post the headers from the email? Thanks

Old 08-10-2007, 10:23 AM
Banned

why is this thread still a sticky? does anybody know why? just out of curiosity

Old 08-12-2007, 08:42 AM
Silver Member

It's because people are still posting the threads about the scam. So keep it a sticky in hopes that some one will read it and say "gee, I guess I better not waste my time."
It's my store! I got it up (almost gotta add a few items and spell check LOL) I got domain hosting and email accounts. I sent out my application for sales tax. I'm so excited. Also check out my blog at myspace page

Old 08-13-2007, 06:25 AM
Banned

okey dokey, i getcha!