report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER  

Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > MLM Scams
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2007, 12:02 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Southwestern Company a scam?

The Southwestern Company is a company (formed 1855, program started 1868) that has college students doing door-to-door sales of educational books over the summer for an average of 78 hours a week, knocking on about 35 families' doors a week. The pay depends on sales - 40% for each sale, and participants take a trip to Nashville for training school before they go to their respective locations. Training school is free for participants, though there is a $1000 penalty "in the event of default by Dealer after the closing of a selling season." Prior sales experience is not required. I heard of this through a flyer asking us to fill out information in my college management class (no professor was present at that time). The people I met that were associated with the company were all past participants that felt they had a memorable experience.

This is something I just got into today (but have yet to actually sign the papers to agree on any penalty thing), and after my dad mentioned that it was a potential pyramid scheme (aka a scam), I've concluded that it certainly has the potential to be a MLM company that may have some people benefiting over others. Money doesn't seem to be an issue (an average of $8000/summer sounds reasonable, really) but it seems a bit weird how I'm only getting positive feedback from people I have called (they all thought the challenge was difficult but worthwhile, and sounded genuine), yet online I can see criticisms and screams of scam. Overall, the reaction seems very mixed. Certainly, some people think it's a great thing while others do not (which is actually quite common for any company). Some articles even say that it seems like a scam but many people do benefit from it.

I'm quite confused about all this and don't know what to think of it. I can see how people can benefit from it (as the experience strengthens them as a person) while I can also see the parts of it that seem rather scammish.

What are your thoughts about it? Do you think this company is legit? I can see both sides and am not sure who to believe. I am aware that Wikipedia mentions a controversy about its recruiting practices and financial risk, but I don't really know what to make out of it.

Thanks for your time.

Bookmark and Share

Last edited by Yoyo : 04-19-2007 at 12:08 PM.

Old 04-20-2007, 02:50 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Re: Southwestern Company a scam?

Does anyone have any idea?

Old 04-22-2007, 06:11 PM
rightinfo

Thanks for sharing Information
-------------------

Old 05-12-2007, 01:27 AM
I am new at Scam.com

“You will hear that this job is not for everyone and that is especially true. I worked for the Southwestern Company during the summer of 2005, had an exceptionally successful Organization and there is not an ounce in my blood that would ever encourage anyone to do the "Southwestern Experience." I'm not going to sit here and call the company a cult. You can decide that for yourself. I will, however, describe for you the effects the company will have on your physical, emotional, and spiritual life if you decide to take "the challenge."

You will hear the leaders in the company say "control the controllables." Well, in truth, there are an infinite number of things to control while you're out on the "bookfield," infinite being the keyword, most of which you can't control. Things happen, you hit and kill someone's dog, you're car breaks down, you become ill, you're raped (and yes, it happens, despite what Southwestern reports). These things that happen, things that are out of our control, they become viewed by the company and eventually by yourself as failures. It begins a pattern of failure in the booksellers. I can’t count on two hands the number of times I watched Student Managers pressure their First-Years to manipulate their records. What eventually ends up happening is the students come back to their Head Quarters each night and are encouraged by their peers and student managers to lie about their statistics (how many doors you knocked on, what time you started and stopped). It develops a pattern of lying. Student's self esteem gets placed in their success, and because a majority of the student sellers are not successful, most students come home with their self-esteem destroyed. Southwestern claims to enhance character, and if patterns of chronic failure and lying are qualities of enhanced character, then they've done their job.

Emotion: It's miserable selling door-to-door. There's fear, anger, hurt, sadness, depression. According to Southwestern, all your emotions are controllable items. The theme is, if your emotions are affecting your production for the company, then they must be turned off. I can't count how many times I heard peers calling other successful bookmen "machines." That's what you become: numb, cold, dry, heartless...a machine. It took until April of 2006, almost a year, before I began to really experience joy again.

Health: There is little time to eat during the day. I did have a full breakfast in the morning at my "breakfast spot" however lunch consisted of a PBJ or gas station food, and dinner was string cheese inside rolled turkey. My hair fell out in chunks, my skin was constantly blemished, I developed ticks and twitches in my eyes and muscles, I suffered from menstrual complications, and lost about 15 lbs within a time frame of about 7 weeks. You go to bed at about 12pm each night and wake up at 5:59 every morning. There is no "personal" time except for Sunday afternoons spent at a park with your Organization for no more than a couple hours. You loose all sense of self because you become a machine for the larger machine: the Southwestern Company. They present the facade that they care about your success; in reality, they just want their share of the profit from your hard work. In fact, my student manager sat down with me to explain the breakdown of the system of profits for the company and myself. It all seemed legit until I was later informed that the student managers would receive commission off of my production. According to what he had just explained, there was no room in the budget that allowed for their commission. Somebody down the line was lying. I later found out that my paycheck at the end of the summer would reflect a 3-5% commission deduction off my emotional and physical distress.

The product: Southwestern is relentless in the claim that their product is a good "investment." This may be true according to the standards of some low-funded school systems. However, after selling the product, I will tell you firsthand that Southwestern has cut corners on their product to make more money. The books contain low quality recycled paper, and while the binding may be strong, the cover shows signs of wear soon after purchase. The diagrams are outdated and elementary, and the books really only work if you have the entire set, costing more than $500.

Spirituality: Southwestern's claim to fame is that they helped soldiers get back on their feet after they returned from war by providing "Bibles" to sell door-to-door. While this validates the history of the company, management has since changed (it's been over 150 years). My student managers sold me on the idea that the Southwestern experience would bring me closer to God. They sat across from my parents on a Saturday afternoon and said they attended church every Sunday and that weekly morning routines involve group prayer. None of that ever happened. I was removed from my support system, my family, close friends, mentors, pastors, everything that offered support in my life, and spent thirteen weeks in the "desert" so-to-speak. The company is solely out to make money. They've perfected a program that keeps students barely alive enough to meet or exceed profits from the previous year via peer-pressure and brainwashing. At the end of the summer managers said things like, "We know this summer wasn't that fun, and even if you weren't as successful as you had planned to be, there is still an obligation to return next summer and try harder."

Would you like to know what my managers were doing? They were sitting in well furnished offices, playing golf, flying to different parts of the U.S. to give us Southwestern rallies. They were dressed in designer clothing, driving imports, and taking long weekend vacations. Rumors floated of six digit salaries for these mongrels as opposed to the average student income of less than five thousand dollars.

The system doesn't work. That's what it comes down to. They claim that if you stick to “The Schedule” then you'll succeed. It places weighty pressure on those students who are sticking to The Schedule and not seeing results. The basic idea throughout the company is if you're not successful, then you’re not following the schedule, and if you can’t follow the schedule, then you're not a hard worker and you don't have what it takes to be successful in a real job. I can't tell you how many times my success in that job was directly related with how well a wife and mother I would be down the road.

Cult? Maybe. Unhealthy? YES! I do not recommend this job to anyone and will gladly provide more information if requested.”

Old 05-12-2007, 01:27 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Please visit:
www.southwesterncompanytruth.com

for more information.

Old 05-15-2007, 10:02 PM
Director Dedicated Memorial Parents Group

In my opinion - worse than being a scam the Southwestern Company is exploiting young college kids. Working them 80 hours a week while controlling their every move. This mode of labor is currently known as slavery or indentured servitude. Being independent contractors the kids have absolutely no rights, no minimum wage, no health insurance. The independent contractor model affords Southwestern two very important advantages. First Southwestern pays nothing to their hard working indentured servants while pulling in the profits from their labor and second if one of the kids breaks the law Southwestern simply points out that the kid does not actually work for Southwestern because he/she is an independent contractor. We call this "business model" : The dirty business of sales by exploitation without legal entanglement.

Please visit our websites for more information on the Southwestern Company
and the door-to-door sales industry:
www.travelingsalescrews.info
www.dedicatedmemorial.org

Old 10-16-2007, 04:58 AM
I am new at Scam.com

(after writing this: i know its long but dont be turned off. at least half of its length is made up of quotes from other posts.)
so, i know this is 5 months later but wow:

phile: slaves? "Working them 80 hours a week while controlling their every move. This mode of labor is currently known as slavery or indentured servitude." ??? theres no one working you 80 hours a week and there is definitely no one controlling anything you do. kids go to malls, amusement parks, play video games, go golf... the list is endless on how these people are not being controlled. and what're the company consequences? nothing. why? its your business. what's the only consequence? you lose money because you're living without making any money. we call this "post": the i have no idea what im talking about but im angry post.

kraespicer: southwesterntruth.com? more like southwesternbias.com. the only people who go to a site like that are people looking to find or wanting to express dirt. how bout a site about "truth" be a little more objective? in fact, why even post a url about truth when very little of your previous post is truthful.

"I worked for the Southwestern Company during the summer of 2005, had an exceptionally successful Organization..." you had a successful organization? so you had repeated this job for 4+ years and you were the organization leader (OL)? or you were just a first year in 2005 who blindly went into this thing and ended up failing? if not, then why repeat a job you would never recommend for 4 summers?

"These things that happen, things that are out of our control, they become viewed by the company and eventually by yourself as failures." at what point did they tell you the uncontrollables were failures? youre supposed to know that you cant control these therefore you should focus on what you can control. is that such difficult logic?

"I can’t count on two hands the number of times I watched Student Managers pressure their First-Years to manipulate their records." i cant count a single time this has happened to anyone in the organization i was in. in fact, my OL walked into the bathroom at our breakfast spot while i was taking a dump and talked to me through the stall wall to ask me about whether or not i was making up customers. this incident occurred because i starting to goof around towards the end of the summer; he wanted to make sure i wasn't making up customers, certainly not to tell me to continue doing so.

"Student's self esteem gets placed in their success... Southwestern claims to enhance character, and if patterns of chronic failure..." what a broad statement. what student doesnt place their self esteem in their success? are you happy to know you failed your final exam? are you happy to know you didn't make it on to whatever team? are you happy to know your cooking is awful? why is it any different here? chronic failure? have you succeeded in anything before this job that is worth mentioning? sorry, that habit of failure was already developed before this job.

Emotional: heck yeah its miserable. its a hard job and it pays well. pretty sure they told you this a million times. and when someones called a "machine" it doesnt mean an autonomous nonliving thing that performs specified commands. its part of colloquial english. like i said my manager was a "beast". does he run around savagely eating babies? maybe thats how he did so well that summer...
"It took until April of 2006, almost a year, before I began to really experience joy again." - get over yourself or seek psychiatric help. sorry, thats just pitiful.

Health: "There is little time to eat during the day. I did have a full breakfast in the morning at my "breakfast spot" however lunch consisted of a PBJ or gas station food, and dinner was string cheese inside rolled turkey." this is true. eat breakfast at a "breakfast spot" (usually a smaller mom and pop type place) and you pack lunch and dinner before leaving the "HQ". but wow, maybe you should pack something better for yourself. no one forced you to make PBJ or string cheese rolled inside of turkey. that doesnt even sound good. after my meals i also came home to a nice hearty 2nd dinner while filling out paperwork.

"My hair fell out in chunks" - so did mine, when my roommate cut my hair.
"my skin was constantly blemished" - sounds like an over pampered little girl whining about skin imperfections.
"I developed ticks and twitches in my eyes and muscles" - were you doing heroin on the side?
"I suffered from menstrual complications" - you messing around with Mr. Jones instead of selling books? although i wouldn't know anything about this since i have a penis. (and if youre a dude, thats waaaayyyy messed up)
"and lost about 15 lbs within a time frame of about 7 weeks." - most girls your age are dying to find ways to lose weight. i lost a bit of weight myself, i was less fat and more fit from running around all day and doing 50 pushups and 100 crunches every morning.
"You go to bed at about 12pm each night and wake up at 5:59 every morning." - usually in bed by 11, but this is true. pretty easy schedule once you get used to it. the longest living people only get 6 hrs of sleep a night. also they are changing this for the summer of '08, suggested work hours are from 7am-7pm.
"There is no "personal" time except for Sunday afternoons spent at a park with your Organization for no more than a couple hours" - i would love to know what you do with your "personal time". and if you needed it, drive back to your HQ during the day. again no ones controlling you. sunday meetings were a bore though. man were they lame.
"They present the facade that they care about your success; in reality, they just want their share of the profit from your hard work." - contradicts itself. how could they only be pretending to care about your success if your success in turn creates a larger share of their profit. of course they care. and in the end, it doesnt hurt you either. thats the point of the entire business plan. very few people are going to help you for free.
"I later found out that my paycheck at the end of the summer would reflect a 3-5% commission deduction off my emotional and physical distress." - this may be considered a bit shady. up to the individual to decide on the legitimacy of this. it is true that the student managers who recruited you get paid a percentage of your earnings. HOWEVER, from what i understand these are like bonuses paid by SOUTHWESTERN, NOT taking out of your paycheck.

The product: meh, the books are what they are. i came across three families who had previously bought the books and the kids didnt touch them. the rest were all happy about their purchase.

Spirituality: dunno anything about this other than i was not promised a spiritual experience. there were times when people said God helped them through their summers; there were hour long bible studies held before each sunday meeting optional to those students who wished to attend; and several student manages told us they took 15-20 minutes out of their day to read their bibles during the morning and evenning.

"Would you like to know what my managers were doing? They were sitting in well furnished offices, playing golf, flying to different parts of the U.S. to give us Southwestern rallies. They were dressed in designer clothing, driving imports, and taking long weekend vacations. Rumors floated of six digit salaries for these mongrels as opposed to the average student income of less than five thousand dollars." - so you get shipped off to your state and you know what your sales managers are doing? and is it so strange for managers to be making more money than you? even if they WERE selling books with you, theyd STILL make more money than you.

"The system doesn't work. That's what it comes down to. They claim that if you stick to “The Schedule” then you'll succeed" - the system does work. if you stick to the schedule you will succeed. its that simple. i worked hard for about a month and a half. the rest of the summer i hardly worked at all. i made $4000 gross. as soon as i quit working hard i had like 1 customer a day. pretty damn awful. $4k in 3 months, half of it was really working hard. you tell me if the system works.

Cult? YES! Unhealthy? nah. I do not recommend this job to anyone not 100% dedicated and willing to give up their ENTIRE summer and will gladly provide more information if requested.

CONCLUSION: to Yoyo: it sounds like theyre making the schedule easier for this coming summer. if its still something youre interested in, talk to some more people. all i can say is it was a bummer losing a summer, but the money is definitely there. there are several occassions where you follow student managers as kind of on the job training. you only observe what they do during their day and i can tell you from my sales and theirs that they definitely make as much money as they claim. again, i dont suggest it unless youre willing to stay the entire time. otherwise you WILL quit like 1/2 my org did and you WILL lose money.

Old 10-23-2007, 10:53 AM
I am new at Scam.com

I'm amazed at how much loyalty you show to a company that didn't even return interest on your remitted money, and I don't think anyone would take such an abrasive and aggressive message seriously. You are free to continue posting, but personal attacks are being documented. Please choose your words wisely.

Old 11-08-2007, 01:09 PM
I am new at Scam.com

loyalty? i just let everyone know that almost everything you stated was retarded.

on top of that maybe you dont know anything about money, but why would southwestern have any reason to pay you interest on your remittances? theyre not a bank. they dont take your money and invest it elsewhere. it sits there and nothing is done to it. banks pay interest because youre essentially loaning them that amount of money. they take it and play with it to make a lot more than the interest they pay you on it. the reason for remittances is because its too tempting for college kids to spend money they have in a bank account when its not really theirs until theyve physically delivered the books.

Old 11-08-2007, 02:23 PM
Newbie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyo View Post
I'm quite confused about all this and don't know what to think of it. I can see how people can benefit from it (as the experience strengthens them as a person) while I can also see the parts of it that seem rather scammish.

What are your thoughts about it? Do you think this company is legit? I can see both sides and am not sure who to believe. I am aware that Wikipedia mentions a controversy about its recruiting practices and financial risk, but I don't really know what to make out of it.
My personal experience with this company is through a "subsidiary" if you will, an insurance company named Family Heritage Life Insurance. They sell cancer/heart policies. While the "product" is totally different, i can tell you, with absolute certainty, that the methods to sell are identical. Some will vehemently disagree with my opinions however, evidence and experience has shown that the organizational structure mimics (exactly) an MLM organization. Words like "cult" and "brainwashing" are used to describe such organizations, and certainly not without good reason. The truth is, a decent income COULD be realized, but it does not come without cost (personal). It is an inherently unstable structure that primarily benefits the top tiers. Family Heritage and their "brokerage firms" avidly seek out former "book-people" as they are highly coveted for their door-to-door "hardened experience". Each person who posts will have to determine if SCAM is an appropriate description (as defined by the dictionary). I believe (again, personally) that this organization qualifies on some levels. To those who choose this as a viable "career", more power to you. There is much to learn by subjecting oneself to this experience, but at what cost?

Old 02-12-2008, 04:48 PM
I am new at Scam.com

WOW! I cant believe all of the negative things you guys are saying! Even if MOST of it were true, it is still hard to beleive. I have worked with Southwestern for the past 4 summers and I will be on my 5th this year. To hear you guys complain about all of the hard parts of the job makes me laugh. THE SOUTHWESTERN COMPANY IS DEFINITELY NOT A SCAM. Sure the job is challenging, but thats what makes it interesting. Speaking as a first year and student manager, no one is forced to lie about their stats...they are encouraged to keep improving. The job allows you to build character, learn about yourself, set goals, and make some good money while you do it. AND you get to go on an all-inclusive trip to an exotic resort in Mexico for doing average (sizzler trip). I'm guessing that those of you who post these negative comments probably didn't do as well as you wanted to. One of you even admitted that you didn't work. If you go through life like that, thats probably going to be miserable too. You get out of it what you put into it.... If you don't work, you don't make money.I did average my 1st summer...I made about $9,000, BUT I learned alot and challenged myself at the same time. Each summer after that I did better and better and I've profited over $77,000 in 4 summers. The company doesn't take any money from you, there is no $1000 penalty, and the sales managers don't go golfing and drive Bentlies. They all sold books for atleast 5 summers and were successful enough to get there. They do make more than students, but what boss doesn't make more than his employee? There are 1000 more positive testimonials from successful people on the website (southwestern.com) from accredited people. Just to name a few, Rick Perry, governor of Texas, Deb McCroskey, M.D., Vanderbilt Health Services, Max Lucado, best selling Christina author, and the list goes on. If you are considering working with the Soutwestern Co, please research and talk to people who are creditable. I have received nothing but a POSITIVE experience and I will continue to support the company.

Old 02-21-2008, 03:35 PM
none

The job sucks like you said.....who in the hell wants to knock on doors for any amount pf money!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-09-2008, 12:22 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Hopefully this isn't seen as flaming, since I don't intend to say anything not truthful. However, I would like to point out some of kraespicer's personal history that might shed some light on her dislike for Southwestern.

First, before addressing the issues, I'd encourage students looking into the program to do independent research instead of reading message boards. There are quite a few articles, both positive and less than positive, written by independent journalists that have done research and have something at stake as far as truthfulness is concerned. The Wikipedia article about Southwestern has links to some of those articles at the bottom of the entry page. On these message boards you'll find mixed opinions, none of which (including mine) are unbiased.

Second, I would encourage anyone going to Spicer's website to check out Southwestern's legal response, also on her website.

Third, in the interest of full disclosure, I'll tell everyone that I have sold with Southwestern for two summers and will be beginning my third in about a month. My first summer was lackluster, as I made about $7400 in 10 1/2 weeks and only saved about $3500 of that (my car was not the most reliable and required a lot of maintenance). That was still more than I could have made at any other job, and the experience, though incredibly hard, has been quite rewarding. Any of my friends will tell you that I've become so much more emotionally stable and that I handle people much better. I worked as an RA both before and after my first summer, and my residents and co-workers can tell you that I was pretty much amazing my second year as an RA, and I think I owe a lot of that to my Southwestern experience. I returned a second summer for four weeks to help train first-year students, and managing was a whole new experience, and also very rewarding. I got off to a much quicker start, and returned with about $2000 after those four weeks selling.

Now, about kraespicer: she was indeed in a very successful organization her first summer, as she sold with some friends of mine from Texas A&M, and in fact was the roommate of a really good friend of mine over the summer. She is right about several difficult things about the summer: sometimes the weather is bad, sometimes you hit animals with your car, and sometimes people you talk to don't like you. However, these things happen whether or not you're selling books. Why should the bookfield be different from the rest of your life? As for working 80 hours per week, yeah, the most successful students do. kraespicer didn't. How do I know? Because she was renting hotel rooms to have sex with frat guys. More specifically, she claims to have been raped by a co-worker. However, she paid for the hotel room where she and a fellow bookperson had sex. If she was really raped, she can't blame Southwestern, because if she'd followed SW's advice and been working during that time, it wouldn't have happened. Actually, though, during checkout (where students settle their accounts with the company in Nashville), kraespicer was going on and on about how much she loved the guy and how they were going to be together when they got back to school. It wasn't until she found out that he actually already had a girlfriend back home that the word "rape" began being floated around. Now she uses the word ambiguously to imply that she was raped on the job. Hardly what I'd call "truthful."

There are other parts of her post/website that are twisted, ambiguous, or just plain lies, but I don't have time to go over them here. I'd be more than happy to answer any questions anyone has, including the hardest parts of my summer (I'll be honest, and I'll even tell you if I don't think you'd be able to handle it).

I hoped this helped someone.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:29 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Also, a good bet as far as determining whether or not ANYTHING is a scam is to check it out on the Better Business Bureau website. If they're rating is satisfactory or better, they're not a scam.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:47 AM
I am new at Scam.com

I sold for 4 summers 02-05 and had a very good experience. I had many hard days, easy days, expensive days, cheap days, frustrating days, and just about any other kind of emotional day you could ever think of.

There is no doubt that the job is not for everyone, but for students who are willing to give up their entire summer and work it can be very rewarding.

As for the commission part of it; students know that they only get paid if they sell so if you aren't prepared to have some days where you don't make money look for alternative work.

I have neither the time nor patience to pick apart Ms. Spicer's comments, but there is no $1000 penalty for going home early and you don't have 3-5% of your commission chopped off and given to managers. While she is entitled to her opinions, they are certainly biased as are mine.

Please if you are considering the program read all sides of the argument and research the real facts.

Old 07-06-2008, 03:49 PM
I am new at Scam.com

I have never worked for Southwestern Company. However, I have purchased their product and, more importantly, have had numerous contacts with their sales people over the past couple of years. It appears to me that their marketing and sales process is, at best, exploitive against their sales people. It is purely my opinion that what Southwestern does should be unlawful in the US. Where I live their sales people are foreign students who have risked much to come to the US to work for Southwestern. The students must find their own lodging and face horrible working conditions. Extreme heat and exposure to elements, unbelievable performance pressure, insufficient sales support, and no supply of sales tools, were just a few of the obstacles sales reps faced.

The two foreign sales reps I met were equipped with substandard bicycles and huge sales territories. This was a very poor combination. The poor foreign students were encouraged to work even days when their health conditions said otherwise. I dont know how much money the students were making, but I doubt seriously, based on their extremely long work weeks and other factors I observed, that they even earned minimum wage. I presume that the employees are classified as contract laborers to circumvent US employment regulations relating to minimum wage and overtime wages.

I know someone will criticize what I say, and I am suspicious that only an undercover Southwestern representative trying to do damage control would truly take issue with what I have said. But well see.

Old 08-16-2008, 02:46 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Wow BSCAMPAGNA you got one set of balls on you partner. I guess you don't have to much money in the bank? Cause if I was her I would have your butt wrapped up in a civil slander suit that would have your head spinning right off. Unless your butt has physical proof such as photos and NOT hear say you could possibly publish such. What the heck is your major and what school do you goto again?

Last edited by rufreakingkydingme : 08-16-2008 at 02:49 AM.

Old 08-16-2008, 04:22 AM
Self Employed

Door to Door brings to mind the folks with that Religious Cult that wears shirts and ties ....

The Jevohah Witnesses?

Ohhh my .. talk about Mental nutjobs

Tw one .... wow ... take a hit of Marijuana and you will be fine as Satan is not following your ass Mr Pat Robertson