report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER  

Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Mortgage Scams
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2007, 03:24 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Title Insurance

Does anyone have any information on why the cost of title insurance is so high? Any discussion here of title insurance scams?

Bookmark and Share

Old 04-30-2007, 11:29 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Re: Title Insurance

I run a title company in Florida and I can tell you that title insurance is not a scam. Our title premiums are regulated by the state. We have a minimum amount we can charge and it is based on the sales price/loan amount. Most title companies, in my area at least, charge only the minimum. Our settlement fee and title exam fees are based on what's usual and customary. Of course some title companies charge a lot more because they can.

Title insurance premiums are high in Florida, however, if you go to Alabama or Georgia they are a lot less. Each state regulates their rates and have guidelines.

I know title insurance seems like a waste at a closing, however, if your property is one of the small % that end up with title issues, paying $750 or so isn't much compared to a claim to the amount you paid for your house. It does protect the consumer and the lenders involved.

Also in the state of Florida for example the title company can keep no more than 70% of the title insurance premiums, the rest has to go to the underwriter. In Alabama the max is 85% I believe. Again, it varies from state to state.

HTH

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Insurance Fraud by Insurance Agent! Pissed Off 2 Insurance Scams 3 01-18-2014 12:28 PM
Title Fraud??? ttnalg Used Car Scams 1 03-02-2012 09:26 PM
Alloidal Title Paladine Government Scams 1 11-11-2011 05:50 AM
Cannot Think Of A Good Title! Yeah Well Fine Then Science Scams 3 06-24-2007 10:53 AM
free insurance quote get cheap and affordable insurance cyberbjorne Insurance Scams 0 08-26-2005 10:42 PM