report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER  

Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Religious Scams
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2007, 03:15 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Beware of the Universal LIfe Church

They charge money for worthless "degrees". People who can barely use a can opener are Doctors of Religion. The founder of the church, Kirby Hensley, was a psycho, and their standard, Do Only That Which Is Right, is a joke. On their forums, the moderators acts as thought police to encourage any anti-Christian sentiments. In many states, the worthiness of their "ordination" is questioned. Steer clear.

Bookmark and Share

Old 06-15-2007, 02:58 AM
Newbie Member

Re: Beware of the Universal LIfe Church

hmmm but what if i wanted to marry a couple? couldnt i be a member and be able to the do the same things that real"ministers" can do? if so then how is it a scam especially if its free

Old 06-15-2007, 04:00 AM
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tut
They charge money for worthless "degrees". People who can barely use a can opener are Doctors of Religion. The founder of the church, Kirby Hensley, was a psycho, and their standard, Do Only That Which Is Right, is a joke. On their forums, the moderators acts as thought police to encourage any anti-Christian sentiments. In many states, the worthiness of their "ordination" is questioned. Steer clear.
Sound advise and it applies to any church or religious educational institution me thinks.

Old 06-15-2007, 04:41 AM
ɹǝpun uʍop

Lol. My room mate has a doctorate of religion from them, and he can legally marry people if he ever goes to the US :)

Old 06-15-2007, 05:23 AM
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazza
Lol. My room mate has a doctorate of religion from them, and he can legally marry people if he ever goes to the US :)
Hopefully you're not bringing him along on your road trip. Remember, what happens in vegas stays in vegas. Don't screw it up. :D

Old 06-15-2007, 10:52 AM
ɹǝpun uʍop

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogie
Hopefully you're not bringing him along on your road trip. Remember, what happens in vegas stays in vegas. Don't screw it up. :D
Nope, he's not coming. I am planning on getting married in Vegas though, and getting it anulled the next day. I'm hoping to have Elvis perform the ceremony :)

Old 06-15-2007, 04:27 PM
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazza
Nope, he's not coming. I am planning on getting married in Vegas though, and getting it anulled the next day. I'm hoping to have Elvis perform the ceremony :)
Elvis is not a problem. There are hundreds of them in vegas. One even has a drive thru ceremony.

Old 06-15-2007, 05:51 PM
Identification Protestor

Excuse me the ULC offers a legitimate ordination under the law good in most US states and accepts ALL faith paths- I know several local leaders in the pagan faith community that are ordained by them. I may disagree with their faiths, not their right to practice these faiths that is a constitutional right. As for their ordinatiions its a interesting fact even their critics of other faiths MUST protect them if one church is deemed unacceptable ,after getting legal rights like they have, then all chruches could be threatened. The Catholics, the Baptists and others if the government starts playing favorites then everytime a faith is lets say overly involved in politics the government could start yanking their recognition. Its best in my view to give them in the law the benefit of being a church and let them grant their powers to clergy its better than the alternative faiths losing their security generally to practice freely.

As for the religious degrees they have two places to get them the main church and a very nice Seminary where it takes many (degrees treat these as courses in that case) with meditation and study in each to get one. Both the Master of Mionistery and Doctor of Ministry recognized by the state coming from a registered religious school. Now I admit its not harvard but where else are druids, witches, gnostic christians. UFO worshippers and whatever supposed to do if they want a degree. And most don't CARE what the outside world thinks they are seeksing such degrees for themselves to grow in their faith. PERFECTLY ACCEPTABLE in my view.

By the way even on the web site the Doctor of Religion from the main church is "honorary" in nature. The SEMINARY program has notably more time and work required to get one of their degrees which I note are for just religious use and run as its own ministry apart from the main offices. Unlike other schools they at least don't claim any sort of accreditation so give them that, I like them for their honesty.

Old 06-15-2007, 08:33 PM
I have taken all knowledge to be my province.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyslippers
I may disagree with their faiths, not their right to practice these faiths
Then you're failing as a religious person who supposedly cares about his fellows. After all, if you're right and they're wrong then they will go to whatever damnation waits for them after death. You have an obligation to them to try and save them.

Old 06-16-2007, 02:46 AM
Identification Protestor

Not at al they have a CONSITUTIONAL right to practice their faith, I as a person of faith in the US must respect that. If the government attacks the ULC then the Baptists or the Catholics or any other religion can be attacked and lose their rights. Protecting their right to practice protects MY right to practice.

Old 06-16-2007, 03:22 AM
I have taken all knowledge to be my province.

But doesn't your faith demand that you conver the heathen, doesn't it condemn those who don't believe to torment after death? Don't you have a moral duty to make sure that as few people as possible die as sinners?

Old 10-02-2010, 04:40 AM
Platinum Member

I got a Doctor of Divinity Degree long ago when they were cheap.

As if so-caled legitimate christianity could offer any provable truths greater than the ULC. What a joke.

Old 10-07-2010, 05:18 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulcnetwork.com View Post
Brother Doojie:
You are also mistaking Honorary degrees with Earned degrees. Earned degrees are not cheap. Our degree programs that are accredited range from $299 to $649. In comparison to many seminaries, these prices are cheap.

Honorary degrees are totally legal and many Churches and Religious Organizations offer such, they do not carry as much weight as Earned degrees do, but they provide you the the option to reference them in your name tag. Honorary degrees aren't meant to be the real thing. But they do offer recognition, achievement and they help to add credibility however small that maybe.

What I do not tolerate is organizations who attempt to pass off Honorary degrees as some sort of Academic achievement or not clearly disclose they are not accredited. This is inexcusable.
Unfortunately, that very exercise of charging money for the validation of such degrees borrows from the same process by which other churches seek to validate their own degrees.

What human authority can be established that will show you are in any way specially connected to God, any more than any other religion?

The fact is, you have no more authority in the matter than they do.

If you practice such licensing by rules of the state, it should be asked, by what authority can the state decide who is the legitimate spokesman for God?

If the state could make such a statement, we could simply eliminate all unnecessary religions and place one religion undrer state control.

Truth cannot be sanctioned or licensed by any human system or organization.

By charging fees in accordance with state supervision, you merely proclaim that "your way" is merely your way, and can be nothing more, same as the more than 38,000 other versions of christianity.

Any charge at all, therefore, can only be considered a scam, same as all other religions.

Old 10-08-2010, 12:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Doojie:
I know where you are coming from. But we do not have control over laws implemented by man. I often wonder what the disciples would of told Jesus, if Jesus said, well guys I need to ordain you and I'm required by law to issue a certificate and a letter in good standing.

What would of Jesus said? Perhaps.....I'm going to need to be paid because these items are not free and the law requires certificates be provided.

Man's laws have made certificates for the ministry and the necessity for degrees or letters in good standing a requirement today which I do not believe would of sat to well with our Lord Jesus.

I am sure that Jesus as well as our God sit and look upon our world and shake their heads at many things that take place today.

You are so right conviction to serve as ministers comes from within. We live in a world where greed is not just found in the private sector.

And sir I believe my God would say you are correct it is a scam. But it is a scam we must adhere too, or face ramification from the authorities.

Peace & Blessings My Brother.
Given the choice of scams, I would pick ULC as the one to belong to.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:29 AM
Newbie Member

Quote:
Most definitely and that is why I head it up, and I am not with this Monastery Storehouse in Seattle
Hi. Andre Hensley heads up the International Universal Life Church at ulchq.com. I head up the ULC Seminary and Kevin Andrews heads the ULC bookstore.

You don't head up THE 'Universal Life Church'. You head up your own site, which has Universal Life Church in its title.

Ministers don't get a discount from Wal-Mart and you're not on the list with the United Nations.

Also, most states don't even require a copy of a credential to do weddings, so for most people, it's completely free unless they choose to order something, which they don't have to.

You have stated on your site that parking placards are a 'scam', yet you offer them.

At ULC, you can be a Christian minister or you can be any other kind of minister. God loves everyone the same.

My site offers a host of free information, sermons, kind words, newsletters and a lot more. What does your site give back to the world?

--Rev. Amy Long

Old 10-20-2010, 05:35 AM
Newbie Member

Re: Beware of the Universal Life Church

The affiliate link you have only gives YOU a percentage of any kind, just as the Amazon links and other things that is what affiliate marketing is. It doesn't give the purchaser any discounts, just gives YOU a kickback for anyone who uses that link. THAT'S how affiliate marketing works.

Also, you made some ridiculous claim that a large number of our ministers follow Satan. I know of maybe one or two who signed up who 'follow satan', but that's about it and they don't do anything. Their basic belief structure is merely hedonistic. I'm sure, however, that there are PLENTY of ULC ministers who are out there just for themselves, without regards to how their actions negatively affect others. Many of those claim to be of a more 'mainstream' religion though.

Andre Hensley heads up the ORIGINAL ULC, founded by his father, Kirby Hensley. You head up your own very tiny little church. That's it. Nobody's feathers are ruffled because of your claim to have 'taken over the ULC', anymore than they would be if you claimed that you are now in charge of Florida. It has the same impact on everyone. Zero.

You claim that you wrote all of those lies about everyone because big bad George told you to. I'm sure he did tell you to. Many Nazi war criminals used the same defense. "Just following orders."

They, at least, were following them on pain of death. You did it purely out of choice. You didn't bother to fact-check, just ran your mouth. You referred people to a website that is full of misinformation and stated that it was truth because it was on a website. George wrote the website.

As far as parking placards -- they are very useful for weddings and funerals. Since you've likely never performed a funeral, you don't know that they often put sticky orange stickers on everyone's windshields that say 'funeral'. They are very hard to get off. A parking placard reduces that from happening. It also allows you, often, to park in places very close to where weddings and such are happening, since you're the first one leaving.

Church ID cards don't need to have pictures since, presumably, most adults carry driver's licenses which are legal documents that DO have your picture on it.

Most states don't require that you have a credential to do weddings, so the ordination is entirely free. They do the ordination and can do the wedding without incurring any expenses.

Also, that link you provide has nothing to do with the United Nations. It's a little social networking platform. Don't quite see where the United Nations fit in.

Last edited by ulcseminary : 10-20-2010 at 05:38 AM.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:20 AM
Right Might over Right Wrong(J. Swift) late 1600's

First thing's first.
Bewarned of the teachings of any church who says that you have to be ordained by them in order to serve as a Prophet (teacher,minister, pastor ect.)
If you believe in what Christ taught and the scriptures, then you know first that you won't surely die and that you are a High Priest of His Kingdom.
Man's laws have most, if not all the time gone against these teachings.
For we think that for some insane reason God Almighty gave man permission to create laws contrary to His. I am not sorry to believe that God is right and man wrong.
For it is also said " There is none among you who have not sinned, all have come short of the Glory of God.
I guess that Christ himself carried a card stating He was a Rabbi, NOT!
How about the Apostles? Did they have to show their papers. By what authority does man supercede God? And what was taught.
No man can say who is rightfully of God. These men make laws agianst what is written.
If you fall into this trap be warned.
To follow man is not to follow the Almighty.
This goes out to those who believe Him to be God and no one else.

Old 10-22-2010, 09:49 AM
Newbie Member

I would have to say, that in the complete regard of that which is the question of this site, no such is not as stated a scam, in the laws of man. Which is what this site is set upon the laws of man, not our own each and every differing opinion on the what is and what is not our own philosophical nor religious belief system. But is it a scam against the legal statutes as they stand.

As for the question is any church who ordains satanists really a church, to answer that, Yes, they are, as with the legal standpoint of the United States Satanism is a legal and recognized religious expression and belief system allowed as is many many others, some of which go far uglier in most of our minds eyes then even Satanism, however, Legally, yes a church can even ordain Satanist and still under federal laws and mandates be a Church as well as a non-profit organization as well.

I wish you well in your own belief systems and in your sanctified beliefs, I am not judging any other, for it is not in my hands that any thing or anyone be judged, nor shall I cast the first stone against any, for in doing so I break my own beliefs.

Be well