report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER
Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Science Scams
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2007, 04:11 AM
Diamond Member

All fruit diet

I am not on my own PC tonight, and this one is so slow that I cannot be bothered to wait on finding the link to something called 'fruitairanism', which, from what I gather, as the name might suggest, is a diet consisting of fruit alone.

Apart from the fact that it might make someone go to the toliet a lot :) , could someone thrive happily on fruit alone?

Would their weight drop a lot?

Would they suffer many health problems?

Anyone a dietician?

Thanks,

Steve
new technologies.
There is nothing glorious about what our ancestors call history,
it is simply a succession of mistakes, intolerances and violations.

Old 03-11-2007, 04:48 AM
Silver Member

Re: All fruit diet

Fruit is necessary part of a healthy diet. However it isn't anywhere near the only part! It's a great source of fiber and in some cases anti-oxidants. But, someone with a diet relying only upon fruit would suffer from some health issues. It may take some time to evolve in the system but you can't live without protein. That's what feeds your muscles and organs. Without protein problems like diabetes, thyroid issues, metabolic disorders, arthritis, acid pH balance, etc would errupt!

Fruit, especially certain ones are high-glycemic and would cause problems with blood sugar balance in the body especially (obviously) for someone already dealing with a sugar imbalance of some sort. A body needs to have a balance of proper food sources, not just one. And certainly not one single food source completely surounded around sugar (even a natural source).

Unfortunately our fruits aren't even as nutritious as they once were anyway. So, to get the amount of nutrition that we need from our fruits (and veggies) there's no way to eat that much in a day to get what our body's require.

The weight that one would drop during a "diet" of this sort would be muscle weight wich is a very unhealthy way to lose. It's one that will leave you with not only health issues but also that lovely droopy, hangey-down skin. You're not losing weight cellularly and are losing muscle density therefore causing the droopy skin not to be able to shrink with the body's weight loss. It's not a good look! It's definately something I would NEVER suggest for ANYONE!

Old 03-11-2007, 05:59 AM
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavensent
Fruit is necessary part of a healthy diet. However it isn't anywhere near the only part! It's a great source of fiber and in some cases anti-oxidants. But, someone with a diet relying only upon fruit would suffer from some health issues. It may take some time to evolve in the system but you can't live without protein. That's what feeds your muscles and organs. Without protein problems like diabetes, thyroid issues, metabolic disorders, arthritis, acid pH balance, etc would errupt!

Fruit, especially certain ones are high-glycemic and would cause problems with blood sugar balance in the body especially (obviously) for someone already dealing with a sugar imbalance of some sort. A body needs to have a balance of proper food sources, not just one. And certainly not one single food source completely surounded around sugar (even a natural source).

Unfortunately our fruits aren't even as nutritious as they once were anyway. So, to get the amount of nutrition that we need from our fruits (and veggies) there's no way to eat that much in a day to get what our body's require.

The weight that one would drop during a "diet" of this sort would be muscle weight wich is a very unhealthy way to lose. It's one that will leave you with not only health issues but also that lovely droopy, hangey-down skin. You're not losing weight cellularly and are losing muscle density therefore causing the droopy skin not to be able to shrink with the body's weight loss. It's not a good look! It's definately something I would NEVER suggest for ANYONE!

Fair enough, HS.

From memory, you are a dietician, am I right?

So, what of vegetrarians then?

I know a few, and they seem to survive and look fine without weight loss, los of muscle density, and so on.

Also, before man was able to make weapons to kill animals, and fire to cook it, how do you propose that they managed to survive, as I am assuming that they must have lived on a diet consisting of mainly fruits, etc?

I value and respect your thoughts.

Here is the article that I spoke of;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fruitarianism
new technologies.

Old 03-11-2007, 08:48 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enlightenment
Also, before man was able to make weapons to kill animals, and fire to cook it, how do you propose that they managed to survive, as I am assuming that they must have lived on a diet consisting of mainly fruits, etc?
You assumed wrong. Before we made weapons, we made fishing poles. Also, we ate bugs and small prey. Before we could cook, we ate animals raw. Ever heard of sushi or oysters? Before you make such sweeping generalizations, why not just ask me?

Old 03-11-2007, 08:50 AM
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlipper
You assumed wrong. Before we made weapons, we made fishing poles. Also, we ate bugs and small prey. Before we could cook, we ate animals raw. Ever heard of sushi or oysters? Before you make such sweeping generalizations, why not just ask me?
Are you a dietician?
new technologies.

Old 03-11-2007, 09:03 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Are you a dietician?
No...Should I be?

Old 03-11-2007, 09:12 AM
Diamond Member

Quote:
No...Should I be?
Well it might help!

Look, I am not here to argue about this, I found Heavensent's post informative about the subject at hand, bud.

Sometimes, in messages, tone can be lost, however, your 'why not just ask me' sounded pretty arrogant, and of course I have heard of sushi.

Did stone aged man often visit Sushi bars. ;)

Okay, to get protein into the diet, with no meat, how best would that be done?
new technologies.

Old 03-11-2007, 09:42 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
He's actually right. We ate raw fish and any wild game we could catch for our protein source. There is also protein in nuts, smaller amounts in legumes & things of that nature.

Vegetarians, many times, if they are aware of the importance of protein, will try to get their protein from things like tofu and soy sources. There are trace amounts of protein in vegetables but not nearly enough to sustain the body. And as far as the muscle loss, it's not something that you're going to notice immediately. Have you ever seen an elderly person who is VERY skinny but has a lot of saggy skin hanging down? That's a tell-tale sign of lack of protein in the diet. They are concidered metabolically obese because they're muscles are laced with fat inside them because their muscles have now been consumed by their own bodies for survival. They don't consume enough of it so their body eats it from the existing muscle on their body. After enough muscle is eaten away they have the droopy skin and the body begins to eat away at the organs to survive. It's a process that takes a while. But it causes numerous health issues.

Old 03-11-2007, 03:59 PM
Diamond Member

If you want to become type II diabetic, eat nothing but fruit. Sugar is sugar. Now you'll just have to figure out where to stick yourself with that insulin needle three or four times a day.

Last edited by bogie : 03-11-2007 at 04:02 PM.

Old 03-11-2007, 06:21 PM
Not my chair, not my problem.

Quote:
I am not on my own PC tonight, and this one is so slow that I cannot be bothered to wait on finding the link to something called 'fruitairanism', which, from what I gather, as the name might suggest, is a diet consisting of fruit alone.

Apart from the fact that it might make someone go to the toliet a lot :) , could someone thrive happily on fruit alone?

Would their weight drop a lot?

Would they suffer many health problems?

Anyone a dietician?

Thanks,

Steve
Hi Steve...I just caught this thread and I'll try to help you out and in simple language. I've taught Yoga and studied nutrition and food combination in my training. Simply put, the body needs 20 amino acids to form a complete protein. Our bodies manufacture about half of them and the others, called essential amino acids, our bodies cannot. Those, we must obtain from foods, and these foods must be consumed in the correct combinations in order to form a complete protein. Meat, bird, fish and soy are complete proteins. Fruits, veggies, berires, nuts and grains are not. As an example of food combination, vegetarians will often combine legumes and rice to form a complete protein, i.e. the essential amino acids that your body cannot manufacture, you will obtain from the combination of beans and rice.

Fruitarianism is not something I would recommend to you or anyone I've trained in the past or future. I hope this helps you out a little.
The Rainforest Site/charity
http://www.therainforestsite.com/cli...gin=Sister_ars

Last edited by HotParadox : 03-11-2007 at 06:23 PM.

Old 03-11-2007, 07:38 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
.....Okay, to get protein into the diet, with no meat, how best would that be done?
Why in the world would you want to do that? We are omnivores. Fish eat other fish. Birds eat rodents and bugs. We are just as much part of nature as they are.

Big fish eat little fish; they open their mouths and bite ‘em; little fish eat littler fish and so on ad infinitum.

Old 03-11-2007, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Why in the world would you want to do that? We are omnivores. Fish eat other fish. Birds eat rodents and bugs. We are just as much part of nature as they are.

Big fish eat little fish; they open their mouths and bite ‘em; little fish eat littler fish and so on ad infinitum.
Some people just do and for many reasons. It's perfectly acceptable and healthy to go veggie, IF you know what you're doing.

My son was a very strict vegetarian for a few years, and I was very careful with his diet. You have to understand the fine science of combining foods for optimum health. It seems like a lot of unnecessary work to me, and later on my son agreed...he is no longer a vegetarian, but we eat organically, free range, and as humanely as possible.

Best, Hot

Old 03-11-2007, 08:53 PM
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotParadox
Hi Steve...I just caught this thread and I'll try to help you out and in simple language. I've taught Yoga and studied nutrition and food combination in my training. Simply put, the body needs 20 amino acids to form a complete protein. Our bodies manufacture about half of them and the others, called essential amino acids, our bodies cannot. Those, we must obtain from foods, and these foods must be consumed in the correct combinations in order to form a complete protein. Meat, bird, fish and soy are complete proteins. Fruits, veggies, berires, nuts and grains are not. As an example of food combination, vegetarians will often combine legumes and rice to form a complete protein, i.e. the essential amino acids that your body cannot manufacture, you will obtain from the combination of beans and rice.

Fruitarianism is not something I would recommend to you or anyone I've trained in the past or future. I hope this helps you out a little.
Thanks, HP.

I guess what I am saying is that I do not wish to eat meat anymore, it's something that I have been thinking about for many years, and I now feel ready to do it.

Obviously, I want to do is safely.

Thus, if I ate a lot of fruit and veg, what could I combine it with, so that I would not have to eat something that was once alive?

Brown rice? Legume? What is that?

Anything else?

Thanks

Steve

x
new technologies.

Old 03-11-2007, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Thanks, HP.

I guess what I am saying is that I do not wish to eat meat anymore, it's something that I have been thinking about for many years, and I now feel ready to do it.

Obviously, I want to do is safely.

Thus, if I ate a lot of fruit and veg, what could I combine it with, so that I would not have to eat something that was once alive?

Brown rice? Legume? What is that?

Anything else?

Thanks

Steve

x
First of all, you don't have to consciously combine at every meal/just make sure that you are getting all that you need in the course of a day. But, when my son was vegetarian, I did combine at every meal: he was still growing and I had no idea what he was eating when he was away from the house.

Peanuts are legumes, so are kidney beans, chick peas, pinto beans. Look in the supermarket in the dried bean section for more. You can buy them canned (an organic brand, if possible). That would be easiest for you because dried beans must be soaked before cooking. Lentils only take about 25 minutes to cook-no soaking-and they are a wonderful addition to any diet.

Brown rice has not been stripped of its nutrients unlike white rice-go for it, if possible.

Also, if you are not opposed to soy/tofu, eggs/egg whites, cheese, milk, then you're golden.

Check out this link and see if you like it. I thought it was very informative.

http://vegetarian.about.com/od/healt...gnutrition.htm

And last, but not least, Dr. Andrew Weil, from Cambridge, MA, is, in my opinion, the be-all and end-all in nutrition, and total body/mental health well being:

http://www.shareguide.com/Weil.html

Dr. Weil's personal diet is lacto-pesco vegetarian. Once on the link, pay attention to Dr. Weil's answer to point 13. You'll have to count down because the points are not numbered. Also, see point 19; he mentions that his young daughter is a vegetarian. Let me know if this helps you.

Dr.Weil's website, here, Steve:

http://www.drweilselfhealing.com/default.asp

Last edited by HotParadox : 03-11-2007 at 10:40 PM.

Old 03-12-2007, 01:20 AM
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotParadox
First of all, you don't have to consciously combine at every meal/just make sure that you are getting all that you need in the course of a day. But, when my son was vegetarian, I did combine at every meal: he was still growing and I had no idea what he was eating when he was away from the house.

Peanuts are legumes, so are kidney beans, chick peas, pinto beans. Look in the supermarket in the dried bean section for more. You can buy them canned (an organic brand, if possible). That would be easiest for you because dried beans must be soaked before cooking. Lentils only take about 25 minutes to cook-no soaking-and they are a wonderful addition to any diet.

Brown rice has not been stripped of its nutrients unlike white rice-go for it, if possible.

Also, if you are not opposed to soy/tofu, eggs/egg whites, cheese, milk, then you're golden.

Check out this link and see if you like it. I thought it was very informative.

http://vegetarian.about.com/od/healt...gnutrition.htm

And last, but not least, Dr. Andrew Weil, from Cambridge, MA, is, in my opinion, the be-all and end-all in nutrition, and total body/mental health well being:

http://www.shareguide.com/Weil.html

Dr. Weil's personal diet is lacto-pesco vegetarian. Once on the link, pay attention to Dr. Weil's answer to point 13. You'll have to count down because the points are not numbered. Also, see point 19; he mentions that his young daughter is a vegetarian. Let me know if this helps you.

Dr.Weil's website, here, Steve:

http://www.drweilselfhealing.com/default.asp

Brilliant links.

Will check them out more thorough when I get back home, on Monday.

x
new technologies.

Old 03-12-2007, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Brilliant links.

Will check them out more thorough when I get back home, on Monday.

x
Thanks, always glad to help. :)

Please check this out from Dr. Weil, esp the last two paragraphs:

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...407344,00.html

http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/id/ART00696

Click on this link and go to center of page and click where it says... to watch "Dr. Weil's 4-7-8 Breathing Excercises" featuring Dr. Weil:

http://www.drweilonhealthyaging.com/...s/b/video.html

Last edited by HotParadox : 03-12-2007 at 02:33 AM.

Old 03-12-2007, 02:01 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
...I guess what I am saying is that I do not wish to eat meat anymore.....
I guess when you show up for dinner, there'll be a few less shrimp on the Barbie.

Old 03-12-2007, 08:22 PM
Silver Member

I haven't read all the links, so this may have been covered. A vegan diet, i.e., no animal products in the diet at all, can provide all nutients except vitamin B12. So vegans need to get B12 from fortified food products or a pill. Some brands of soy milk are fortified with sufficient vitamin B12 if you drink three glasses a day. One brand of chocolate powder puts 50% of the RDA for B12 in every serving, but not in every chocolate powder it makes.