report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER
Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Business Scams
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-01-2007, 04:23 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Tate & Kirlin Associates?

Hello all,

Has anyone dealt with these people? I got a call from a woman from there who said it was in regards to my JC Penney's debt....which I do have...I set up a payment plan with her to pay $53 each pay and let them take the first one out. I did tell her that I only authorized that one payment and that if they wanted any others they would have to call me first. I went on the internet to look up this lady's number cause I lost it and all these links came up saying that they are a scam and that they aren't a real collection agency (or something like that), then I checked the BBB and they are a member in pretty good standing...so I'm not sure what to think?!?! I want to pay this debt off, but only if I'm seriously paying Penney's and not some jerk who's pocketing the $$....anyone have any insight?

Tx!

Kittyluv :)

Old 03-01-2007, 08:04 PM
Diamond Member

Re: Tate & Kirlin Associates?

Collection agency seems to be real, but like in many other collection agencies their collectors are rude and obnoxious in their behavior.

About payment plan. I hope you did not give them authorization to withdraw directly from your checking account. They may withdraw the whole debt in one swoop. Let them send monthly bills to you and pay them with Money Orders.

Old 03-02-2007, 04:09 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Unfortunately I did! But, they have only taken two so far and I'm going to be closing it out. I'm going to call Penney's to see if they authorized that Co. to collect on it and if they did, I'm going to call that lady back and ask her for an addy to send payments to. I'm so glad it didn't turn out worse than it did....

Old 03-27-2007, 11:07 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Hello all, Kittyluv here again,

Been awhile since I first posted this, and not sure if anyone really even cares about an update on this thread, but I DID call JC Penney's and unfortunately, Tate & Kirlin is a company that they deal with for their customer debts. I was smart though and after work the day I first posted this, I closed out my account and opened a new one. I told them that I refused to furnish the new info. but said that I would be more than happy to send payments to their address since. They were ok with that although the sleazy manager or whatever he is still kept me on the phone going back and fourth...I really don't care about what the douschebag has to say, they are probably still crooked! I have pretty much decided that I am not paying them any more $$. If anyone wants money for that debt, they can drag me to court. If a Judge tells me it's OK to pay them, then I will....but I just don't have the funds to be dishing money out to a bogus operation.

Old 04-20-2007, 05:27 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyluv
Unfortunately I did! But, they have only taken two so far and I'm going to be closing it out. I'm going to call Penney's to see if they authorized that Co. to collect on it and if they did, I'm going to call that lady back and ask her for an addy to send payments to. I'm so glad it didn't turn out worse than it did....

You do not have to pay any 3rd party debt collector one penny!
See:
http://www.educationcenter2000.com/l..._allowance.htm

Old 05-30-2008, 06:33 PM
I am new at Scam.com

We just received a call from this company for my 82 year old grandmother. The man was extremely rude and forceful; he wanted to speak with her, however my mother has power of attorney. After several minutes of him trying to get my grandmother on the telephone he finally decided to try convince my mother that she needed to make payments to him for debts my grandmother has. He continued to harass her and told her she should cancel her contract with the current dept management company and pay him directly. My mother was slightly confused because this person has private information about my grandmotherís finances. My mother continued to tell him to contact our dept management company and that she would not give out personal information over the phone. He insisted that my mother give him the last four digits of her social security number and he threatened to sue my grandmother. My mom called our dept company and informed them of the phone call. Our counselor advised her not to fax the man anything like he insisted.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:59 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Hi,

This is my first time here and maybe this is past time for this, but I wanted to share my positive experience with Tate and Kirlin. At first I had a tacky woman- I complained and they sent me to a gentleman (and I do mean that)named Stu Gray. He took out payments out of my account electronically when he said they were coming out and for the amount they were supposed to be. He saw on my report that another creditor in another agency was trying to collect and had received my address. He told me about this ahead of time and he adjusted my payments as low as he could, so that I could pay the other off as well. When I had an emergency and could not pay right then- with a few days notice he would delay the payment.

I ran across this board because I was looking for their address and phone to see if they could take over my account again-because the new collection place is shady and rude.

Anyway-Kittyluv- I hope it worked out for you.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:49 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Tate & Kirlin Associates represented Washington Mutual as that lender was about to be taken over by Chase Ö forced out of business for the kinds of dealings that got into trouble in the sub-prime mortgage loan debacle. But even though WAMU no longer exists, TATE and KIRLIN are continuing to try to goad people who WAMU foreclosed on into paying THEM some part of what WAMU already discharged and declared to the federal government as their loss! Something stinks here. If WAMU is already history, and if these debts were discharged before the takeover, then WHO is TATE & KIRLIN ASSOCIATES attempting to get this money for? Themselves? On already discharged debt?

WAMU was finally taken over by Chase after the Obama Administration rightly assessed WAMU as basically incompetent to dig themselves out of the hole that their aggressive and careless lending practices got them into. In my case, Washington Mutual neglected to build in an Escrow / Impound account in my Re-Fi ... after assuring me that the monthly mortgage figures (both 1st and 2nd through WAMU) I was quoted INCLUDED the Escrow / Impound account. After about six months, my Homeowner policy agent called to say they were about to cancel the policy--for NONPAYMENT. I said "But I have an Escrow Account!" and he said, "Well, it's not making the payments! Better check." It turned out that WAMU had neglected to create an escrow account for my property, so that they then had to go back--at my expense, of course--and create one. Rather than tack the cost of creating it onto my 1st, they created a kind of "sub-loan" and promised that I could pay it back over "at least two years." But, without warning me, they designed it so I'd have to pay it over only 12 months ... thus raising my mortgage payments by almost $600 **BEFORE THE FIRST ARM ADJUSTMENT EVER HIT**! That error on their part, and NOT the adjustable loan, started my problem. But then, several months later, the first adjustment also hit, adding another $500 to my monthly nut.

WAMU had also finagled the appraisal in order to make sure that Re-Fi went through. They did this by comp-ing my 4-bedroom house against 5 bedroom houses that originally cost $30K more than mine did. I went to them with a SINGLE mortgage payment from another lender, seeking lower monthly payments but, instead, got TWO WAMU loans--a regular mortgage loan (as a 1st) and a Consumer Equity Loan (as a 2nd). having two loans where I had previously had only one turned out to be a huge problem later on.

Anyway, when the first adjustment finally came due, I contacted WAMU and attempted to find a way to give the house back on a "Deed-in-Lieu." My payments were up-to-date, but I could see the inevitable coming. I kept up with the payments, while trying to arrange the Deed-in-Lieu WITH BOTH SIDES OF WAMU--mortgage and consumer loan sections. It was a nightmare to arrange because the two sides of WAMU didn't "speak" to each other. Everything was separate on contacting the 1st and 2nd people, and they had different rules, different and constantly changing numbers, and requirements to communicated only by fax ... unless they called me! Phantom phone and fax numbers were given on different websites. They wouldn't return calls --- if I was lucky enough to get through at all.

Both the "Consumer Home Equity" and the "Mortgage" sides of WAMU said the same thing: "Sir, we can't talk with you until your monthly mortgage payments are in arrears ... until AFTER your loan payments are over 30 days past-due."

I said, "You're kidding me! You mean you won't talk to me about PREVENTING a problem until AFTER I wreck my own credit rating ... even though any boob with a calculator can tell that starting with the increase to my payment due to your negligence ADDED to the adjustment, that I won't be able to keep up?"

"Yeah, that's about the size of it, San!" they told me.

After several months (of continuing to keep current with the mortgage payments) I finally moved out of the house on the last day of the last month through which I was paid-up. That was after MONTHS of trying to get WAMU to give me a straight answer to ANY question about what to do to avoid disaster. I had submitted all the load restructuring paperwork, and they had not acted. No word back from them on restructuring for MONTHS.

After moving out (and ceasing to pay the mortgage) I suddenly started getting calls from WAMU ... but from WAMU "employees" in INDIA ! Lots of electronic calls, and lots of calls from people who had absolutely NO answers about my situation, restructuring, OR about how to do a deed-in-lieu. I kept telling them to record my calls and send the recordings to someone who actually knew how to do a Deed-in-Lieu--hoping someone would contact me with instructions. Twice I stated to the phone person that I was recording the call ... and I was quickly switched to a supervisor who told me that I wasn't authorized to record calls to WAMU--and that if I did not agree NOT to record the call, that he would hang up. I did not agree, and both times they hung up on me. So THEY could record the calls--if they felt like it--but I could not!

Finally, I got word from both sides of WAMU--separately, of course--and got instructions about what I had to do in order for them to consider doing a "deed-in-lieu" instead of a foreclosure. I had to get a real estate agent, list the house on the MLS for at least 90 days, try to do a short-sale, keep the place clean inside and out for showing, etc.

Ironically, about that same time--months after submitting the application--I received a call telling me that they were going to review whether or not I qualified to have the loan restructured. I told them I had already moved out--having long ago given up hope that they would ever get back with me. They hung up. I had several more calls like that, and I gave them the names and numbers of the other people I was talking to about doing the deed-in-lieu. I was told that the different branches don't discuss cases. Each one told me to have the other one call them; but both sides refused to make the call. They stalemated me with bureaucratic B.S. that made no sense and only served to further wreck and ruin the situation.

Some people had told me that I should just stay in the house and stop paying, bank the money and use it for a down-payment for another house. But I thought that would be unethical. Instead, my family only slept there until we couldn't afford to pay any longer--knowing our credit was about to be ruined for the next bunch of years--and we rented another place and moved out. I had been telling WAMU I wanted to give the house back for MONTHS and they did absolutely NOTHING to facilitate ANY kind of solution until the situation was already irretrievably lost. Their only excuse was they had so many customers that were defaulting. But the REAL reason was that they had made so many problematic loans and had NO idea and no administrative structure for handling the problem when the bubble burst. They destroyed their own company--and the credit of thousands of customers by their ineptitude and incompetence. That's why the Obama Administration was right to force the takeover of WAMU by Chase.

But I did everything WAMU finally told me to do in order to do the deed-in-lieu. I got a great Real Estate guy who bent over backwards for us knowing he was unlikely to get much if anything out of all the work involved. As it turned out, he got nothing--because after receiving two offers--that WAMU refused--they suddenly drilled and changed the locks and sent in their own agent. We had followed all of their difficult, time-consuming, and expensive instructions--all for nothing.

So it was finally going to be foreclosed after about eight months of trying to work it out with WAMU ... four months while still in the house and still paying the mortgage, and four months after I moved out and stopped paying ... while trying to sell it according to their instructions.

HERE'S THE PUNCHLINE:

I didn't know for sure what WAMU had done with the debt until tax time and I received a W-9 showing that they claimed the ENTIRE remaining debt as a loss to the Federal Government. So they wrote it off for their own tax purposes.

THEN ... WAMU got taken over by Chase.

Eventually, WAMU did sell the house the same month Obama was elected ... six months after taking it away from my agent (who was getting offers when they took it). My credit was in ruins, obviously, and I thought that was going to be the end of it. WAMU didn't even exist any more! But then I started getting calls and letters from "TATE & KIRLIN ASSOCIATES" of Philadelphia. Apparently, with its dying breath, WAMU contacted "TATE and KIRLIN" to help them collect late mortgage and/or consumer loan (2nd) payments. So T&K then started dunning me ... as if WAMU was still carrying the debt--even though the W-9 proved that WAMU had actually discharged the debt. And after a month or so from their first contact--"T and K" were still making contacts IN THE NAME OF WAMU--even though the lender was defunct AND had already discharged the loan. Based on the dates involved, WAMU discharged the debt BEFORE Chase took them over ... maybe so the "deal" wouldn't look like quite such a loser to Chase stockholders. But in any case, WAMU doesn't exist, TATE & KIRLIN still makes its contacts IN THE NAME OF WAMU, never mentions Chase, and is attempting to get people who are ALREADY screwed by this whole fiasco to bite another big one by agreeing to "settle" a dead debt with them! There is something seriously wrong with this picture.

I have told several people at TATE & KIRLIN who have called me that if the debt was discharged and their former client (WAMU) no longer exists, etc., then what they are doing is fraud ... since the debt was already written off and CLAIMED by WAMU as a loss on their corporate taxes. They said, "We'll have to get back to you on that" ... but never did. In the meantime, they continue to dun me with calls and letters, "offering" to settle for 50%, etc. They must getting a high enough percentage of people to walk willingly into their web, so that they keep trying to shake people down. No doubt they will continue to do this until someone--or some watchdog agency--steps in and stops them.

QUESTION: Who is TATE & KIRLIN working to benefit? Not WAMU. Not Chase, either, since the debt was discharged before the takeover. And they never claim to work for Chase. Their original "customer" (WAMU) no longer even exists. It LOOKS like TATE AND KIRLIN found itself with thousands of documents relating to outstanding debt from people in trouble over WAMU mortgages, at about the time the Obama Administration handed WAMU its walking papers. So there was no one and no company left to cancel whatever arrangement WAMU may have had with TATE & KIRLIN. So T&K were apparently left with a big box full of "cold call leads" and no one they were obliged to give it back to! It's a WINDFALL! They can keep whatever they can squeeze out of anyone too weak and fearful to stand up and fight. The debts are dead--as is the credit rating of all those people, like me--but this outfit in Pennsylvania if busy trying to squeeze blood out of us beat-up turnips. Seems unfair. Writing this and posting it wherever I can is about all I can to in my own defense. Feel free to spread it to anyone and any site where it might do some good.

Old 03-16-2011, 06:33 AM
I am new at Scam.com

I concur with the above as that the same "firm" Tate and Kirlin is now contacting Nuvell debtors. There are other companies like this also, I have discovered.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:19 PM
Newbie Member

They called my house and my mother (who is 76 years and void.) I said I'm not the person they seek, and therefore my mother.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:37 AM
I am new at Scam.com

YOU---Tate and Kirlin are not associated with Chase and WAMU doesn't exist!! Are your bosses sitting in D.C. near The White House ?? That seems to be when ever body on this site started having $$ problems with businesses, companies, and anything dealing with $$$.

I expect you have gotten not only a "big box of cold calls" and thousands of emails telling you what/where to do/to go. A business in Pennsylvania, I'm sure is getting envelopes with emails and ACH full of nothing. Do these things mean that Tate and Kirlin are continuing to collect funds from unsuspecting citizens so they can take a holiday cruise or a ski vacation ??

If a judge/court forces me to pay any $$, I'll dig up my coffee can in the back yard, and see if my secret stach is still intact. I have tried multiple times to get a statement from T & K which they will not send by mail or private email.

BBB has this firm rated "not in good standing". I was never sent financial evidence of an exsisting account !! The one telephone call I recieved from Tate and Kirlin was from quite a rude man. When I explained that I knew my rights, especially about 3rd. party debt collector not being an option--I was told "I'll get back to you on that." I have never heard from anyone and that was 4 months ago. I'm not, and you shouldn't get pulled into their spider-web--It's tough to get out !!! Ladydianna46

Old 10-17-2011, 02:44 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Greetings -- In Pennsylvania, you are not obligated to respond to collection agencies and they are very abusive with phone calls. My suggestion, in Pennsylvania, is seek a reputable credit counseling agency to help you or wait until you are formally "served" -- and have an attorney help you make a reasonable settlement within your means. If served, you must be prepared to respond immediately. Seek an attorney in your community who will help you. I was very fortunate.

Old 10-19-2011, 04:56 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Please people state facts not embellishments.. Yes Tate & Kirlin is working for Chase.....also BBB assigns letter grades from A+ (highest) to F (lowest).the BBB has a rating of B- for Tate & Kirlin last i checked it, that " is in good standing".