report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER
Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > MLM Scams
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2007, 10:00 AM
I am new at Scam.com

GOJI Juice Freelife Scam Exposed on National TV.

See the GOJI Juice Freelife Scam Exposed on National TV.

It's the beginning of the end of a scam when this sort of bad press is seen
on prime-time television and read online by thousands of people.

3 stories below:
1: Expose on Canadian TV: watch "Dr" Earl Mindell squirm when exposed.
2: Expose by Dr Ralph Moss: World famous medical/health author says green tea is better than goji juice and at a fraction of the cost.
3: New Zealand TV exposes illegal/fraudulent goji health claims.

Note: All the key points below against goji also apply to the other
over-priced fruit juice scams like Xango, Tahitian Noni, Acai, Mona Vie etc.

Story 1: "Getting Juiced - Expose of Himalayan Goji Juice, Freelife and Dr Earl Mindell"

Aired on national Canadian TV, January 17, 2007, Marketplace, Canadian Broadcasting Corporation:

See the half-hour video at http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/2007/01/goji.html

Excerpts:

"Thousands of Canadians are drinking a new product made from a
'miraculous berry', that suggests powerful benefits. Wendy Mesley reveals the real deal behind the new craze and travels to Hollywood to pose questions to the Canadian-born nutritional guru involved.

Summary:

Dr Steven Sager looked at many of the studies on the Goji berry. He
researches natural health products for cancer treatment at McMaster
University, Ontario:
"Modern science has not anywhere near proven that the goji berry has
any effect on practically any of the ailments that they are claiming it
has an effect on. They are extrapolating out of context some laboratory
studies... You have to be quite suspicious that it's really being
overhyped." He says that the polysaccharides in Goji could have health
benefits but without more human studies there's little proof to back up the
hype. He continues, "If you're going to market something and say it
does something and you haven't done the research to show that, then it's
basically deceipt ... expensive deceipt for people who are buying it for
that particular purpose".

Dr. Earl Mindell is not a medical doctor.
His PhD is in nutrition from an unaccredited university,
"meaning his PhD might not be recognised by government employers and
other universities."

Dr. Earl Mindell apparently claims his Himalayan Goji Juice
product is possibly the most nutritionally dense food on the planet.
The CBC's laboratory tests showed this about Himalayan Goji Juice:
~ vitamin C: it has a little more than orange juice
~ beta carotene: undetectable
~ vitamin B & E: barely detectable
~ protein: negligible, almost no protein.
Marketplace reports:
"When it comes to the most basic nutrition this $50 bottle is pretty
similar to other juices. The berry might have more nutrition but they're
selling juice, not the berry."

Freelife literature and agents claimed that the infamous Memorial Sloan
Kettering Cancer Institute uses goji juice on it's patients. A spokesperson for the Institute states: "They are making false claims. The data do not support the use of this product for cancer patients... No-one here has ever done any research on goji juice or lycium barbarum. And no-one here has ever given or prescribed... either of these substances to any of our patients."

A study by a Dr. Bradlow is often used to imply that goji can prevent
cancer. Marketplace interviewed Dr Bradlow and he was shocked to hear he was being misrepresented. He states: "We never said [goji] prevented cancer. We said it inhibited the growth of cells in a dish... A little dish
like this isn't the same as a person.... There's no justification for
encouraging people to take this as an anti-cancer drug... It's
misrepresentation of the facts."

Bob, a former Goji customer who had bought over $2000 worth of goji
Juice for his father with terminal cancer: "He's (Dr Mindell) affecting
someone I really care about... If you're promising people that this juice
is going to help fight cancer and then 6 months or a year down the road
somebody dies... that's what bugs me the most... I'd like to punch
him!"

Story 2: From http://www.cancerdecisions.com/112104_page.html

"A FRIENDLY SKEPTIC LOOKS AT GOJI JUICE"
Dr. Ralph W. Moss, Ph.D., famed author of many books and articles on contemporary and alternative medicine:

"Sorting truth from fiction has been the focus of my life's work. For the past thirty years I have studied the field of cancer
therapy, investigating the claims made for the effectiveness of both conventional and alternative treatments...
At a popular cancer meeting in September I was assailed by sellers of a bottled drink made from goji... According to one
website it is the "number one-rated, third party tested and validated, patent-pending, single focus functional health tonic
designed to deliver you incredible health benefits."
... But the real question is whether there is compelling enough evidence to justify spending $44 for a bottle of fruit juice...
PubMed, the US government's comprehensive database of 15 million medical journal citations, lists a total of 102 articles on
Lycium species. Fifty of these are on Lycium barbarum. Most of these concern laboratory tests, and only five articles even
mention cancer. If we restrict our consideration to just clinical trials (structured studies involving human subjects) there are
precisely two. One is irrelevant to our purposes, since it does not concern cancer ... This leaves a single report of a clinical trial
in cancer using a goji extract... this small goji trial uses an outdated
therapy ..."
Conclusion: "I would still recommend that patients hold onto their $44 until there is better documentation of the drink's
purported effects. By comparison to goji, something as simple as green tea looks to have an equal or even better effect at
about one-hundredth of the cost ... There are more effective, better proven, and certainly less expensive alternatives available
to all."

Story 3: On June 6 2006 Television New Zealand aired a report title:
"New Zealand Ministry Of Health investigating "miracle" juice"

The text and video of the story originally appeared at http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/425826/737781/

The Health Ministry is investigating the illegal promotion of a juice claiming to cure cancer, aids and a raft of other diseases.
Auckland's Tongan community is the target of the advertising campaign and some of them with serious health problems have
fallen ill after drinking the juice.
Goji Juice is being sold as a miracle cure - one litre will cost you $75. But in fact the juice is little more than fruit juice and a
few vitamins.
The advertising campaign launched in the Tongan media says Goji Juice will cure cancer, aids, diabetes, respiratory problems,
gout, arthritis, kidney, liver and heart disease. It even says it can help you have children.
Tongan newspapers are now refusing to run the advertisements which make the disease curing claims. The problem is some
people still believe it.
The most severe impact of the product has been felt by diabetics.
One Auckland clinic has had to help a significant number of ill patients who have been taking the sugar laden juice.
"We began to wonder what is this doing to our people because they were obviously taking it as a medicine obviously thinking it
would cure them cure their diabetes," says Dr Glennis Mafi of the Langimalie Health Centre.
What has enraged victims and authorities is that those responsible for the false claims are in medical jobs.
Etika Akauola is a Tongan doctor. He says there is scientific evidence Goji Juice cures cancer and says it is okay for diabetics to
take it.
Namoe Sau had been working as a health promotions advisor at Manukau's Procare Network. She no longer has her job there
after resigning this week due to her selling Goji Juice.
The Ministry of Health's Medsafe has warned the adverts for Goji Juice are illegal and has launched an investigation.
"It's entirely unacceptable for a product which is essentially a fruit juice to advertise itself making really quite outrageous claims
about health giving properties," says Dr Stewart Jessamine of the MOH.

Old 05-15-2007, 06:22 PM
Gold Member

Re: GOJI Juice Freelife Scam Exposed on National TV.

I've started a MLM Co-Op recently and have received just about every product known to man that these MLM's sell for me to try and become familiar with. In an un-biased experiment I can tell you that I love FreeLife's Goji . . .

#1 - I started taking 4oz morning and night. I noticed one important factor - my limbs seemed more relaxed and not all tight and creaky. I'm 45 y/o so that is good. But, the biggest factor, and this is a personal fact, is . . .

#2 - I went out 2 Saturdays ago and shot a 45 on the front 9 of my golf course (that's a 90 on 18). Never before have I done that (keeping real score) and I felt great. On Sunday (the next day), I was rushed to get ready and forgot to take my Goji and I went out and shot on 18 - back to my same old self . . .

#3 - This past Saturday night after our baseball teams playoff game I went to a local cookout at around 10pm. Having a few beers, a great time and some bbq chicken of which I consumed all of mine - my wife Kristy said - this chicken isn't cooked. 3am that morning all heck broke loose - the normal bowel problems, fever, sweats, chills, aches, ect - then all day Sunday (Mother's Day) - the same . . . If not better by 11pm on Sunday - I was taking myself to the hospital cause clearly I had food poisoning. But - I'm not one for doctors - and especially hospitals. The only thing that kept me energized through this whole ordeal was my FreeLife Goji. I bet I drank a whole 32oz bottle in that 36 hour period. Not only was it the only thing I could tolerate - the sweet taste and the energy provided were better than chicken soup . . .

The only other product i have ever used that had a similar effect on my body was Calorad - now, that was some good stuff too!

Tom Coleman

Last edited by cruisin_man : 05-15-2007 at 06:46 PM.

Old 05-15-2007, 06:30 PM
ACCOUNT CLOSED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisin_man
I noticed one important factor - my limps seemed more relaxed and not all tight and creaky

Heha...Yeha my lips tent to creak in the morning!
:D :D

Old 05-15-2007, 06:48 PM
Gold Member

LOL - it was supposed to be "limbs" - as in arms and legs. Spellcheck is great, I just wish it would pick up on this too - lol!

Tom

Old 05-15-2007, 09:06 PM
ACCOUNT CLOSED

Tom seriously man If your limbs are creaking in the morning you need to see a doctor.

A nutrisious as Goji berries are I can not for the life of me work out how your limbs stop creaking after having a shot of it.

that's not how it is supposed to work.

If you told us after a certain period of time you felt an improvemnt in your limbs it may have sounded more believable but taking a shot of goji and feeling instant results!... come on ?

You sound like one of those snake oil salesman who have a plant walk past all bent over with pain untill he takes a sip of the miracle cure. Then he's dancing about and jumping in the air saying how young he feels!

Old 05-15-2007, 09:27 PM
Gold Member

" You sound like one of those snake oil salesman who have a plant walk past all bent over with pain until he takes a sip of the miracle cure. Then he's dancing about and jumping in the air saying how young he feels! "

I'm not a rep with them, just started using the product.

What can I say - it worked. However - to each his own, I was just sharing my story.

Tom

Old 05-17-2007, 05:30 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Thanks Cruisin Man! This Stuff does work! if this was a scam, then why is the Company return policy so Rock Solid? 90 Day's Empty bottle gaurentee...very cool not a big risk here cept to not experience the several benefits this juice offers over all the others I have tried.

Old 05-17-2007, 08:13 PM
ACCOUNT CLOSED

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovewisdom
Thanks Cruisin Man! This Stuff does work! if this was a scam, then why is the Company return policy so Rock Solid? 90 Day's Empty bottle gaurentee...very cool not a big risk here cept to not experience the several benefits this juice offers over all the others I have tried.
That's becasue the Goji juice cost them next to nothing to produce. They also charge around $50 a bottle last I heard.

Old 05-17-2007, 09:08 PM
Gold Member

Case of 4 - 32 oz bottles - $129.95

Commissionable of course . . .

Tom

Old 05-18-2007, 04:22 PM
ACCOUNT CLOSED

The most expensive fruite juice I have ever paid for was about $4.

That contained apples, pinaples, banana, oranges and so on. Can you please tell me why Goji juice costs so much ?

Old 05-22-2007, 01:20 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Of course there is a money back guarantee. At $50 per bottle, the profit from one bottle can produce 100 more.

Goji juice epitomises the great American hype machine at it's finest. Talk about a phychosomatic society. But, this guy Mindell is living the dream and making money hand over fist. I like money, too, but I don't think I could sleep at night.

Old 05-22-2007, 06:51 PM
Newbie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by illone
But, this guy Mindell is living the dream and making money hand over fist.
In all of those MLM juice scams there is always a central figure that acts as the expert know-it-all visionary preacher. But like the juice these folks have a shelf-life too. Once scandals that bring to light questionable practices and backgrounds of these people pop up they get replaced very quickly. Mindell is currently the preferred "face" of the Goji hype, for Noni it used to be Dr. Neil Solomon.

Old 09-15-2009, 06:50 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Re: GOJI Juice Freelife Scam Exposed on National T

I started taking Goji and Go chee juice about 2.5 years ago, and it has been great. I am not even a salesperson withthis company, and it pisses me off to no end when people make comments about a company or product that they have no iea about. You either work for another company or you have nothing better to do when you find there is a very good product that helps many people you want to bash it. Or you tried to sell it and could not do that either, and I can understand why, because people are not buying the B.S your putting on this sight. ALSO, MY WIFE HAS LOST 39 LBS ON THE TAISLIM YOU IDIOTS!!

Old 09-15-2009, 08:25 AM
Berserk

39 lbs? 39 lbs of what?? and in what time frame?

Quote:
Originally Posted by savinghomes View Post
I started taking Goji and Go chee juice about 2.5 years ago, and it has been great. I am not even a salesperson withthis company, and it pisses me off to no end when people make comments about a company or product that they have no iea about. You either work for another company or you have nothing better to do when you find there is a very good product that helps many people you want to bash it. Or you tried to sell it and could not do that either, and I can understand why, because people are not buying the B.S your putting on this sight. ALSO, MY WIFE HAS LOST 39 LBS ON THE TAISLIM YOU IDIOTS!!

Old 09-21-2009, 05:42 AM
I am new at Scam.com

39 Lbs Of Fat In 9.5 Weeks.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:12 AM
I am new at Scam.com

I read all your posts you stroke. That explains everything. Survival-what an asshole!! would love to meet you.

Old 11-12-2009, 11:52 AM
Newbie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by savinghomes View Post
39 Lbs Of Fat In 9.5 Weeks.
Congratulations on your weight loss, it is impressive. Do you have before and after pictures?

Old 11-15-2009, 06:04 PM
Newbie Member

Is anyone else out there completely sick and tired of all these nonsensical juice companies with all their dramatic stories about discovering a super-berry in the jungle?

If you want to watch a great parody on the juice MLM juice quagmire, watch this.