report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER  

Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Insurance Scams
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2007, 10:00 PM
Newbie Member

Family Heritage Life Insurance

wondering if anyone has had any "unpleasant" experiences with this parent company and/or its captive agencies.

Old 03-09-2007, 05:50 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Re: Family Heritage Life Insurance

I'm getting pretty good at reading through these things. Family Heritage is connected in my e-mail solicitation with Legacy Services. It seems to me that they are still trying to decide which scam works best. They do know how to create a decent looking website and offer positions in Sales. Organizations that large ought to have more than Sales positions open.

They are not to be trusted. Here's what the BBB had to say about Legacy Services http://search.buffalo.bbb.org/codbrep.html?ID=17000882

Old 03-09-2007, 06:25 PM
Newbie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watching2
I'm getting pretty good at reading through these things. Family Heritage is connected in my e-mail solicitation with Legacy Services. It seems to me that they are still trying to decide which scam works best. They do know how to create a decent looking website and offer positions in Sales. Organizations that large ought to have more than Sales positions open.

They are not to be trusted.
Just want to be sure I understand you correctly. You are saying that you get solicitations for sales positions from Legacy via email? Legacy is one of about a dozen or so "captive agencies" that offer insurance "products" (wierd to me how they actually state it this way in their job listings - sounds exactly what defines an MLM structure) as a representative of Family Heritage. You might take a moment and read through the two "American Income Life..." threads as that organization conducts business in the identical manner Family Heritage does. This is a "door-to-door" insurance sales position that completely monopolizes the "independent agent's" time and life.

Old 03-29-2007, 10:18 AM
Newbie Member

Beware of Family Heritage Life Insurance

If a salesman knocks on your door and they're from Family Heritage Life Insurance Company, slam the door in their face.

After a incident at my home a few days ago, I'm pressing charges against a salesman of Family Heritage Life Insurance Company, and plan to pursue legal action against them as well.

This is my first ever post on Scam.com. I look forward to continuing my visits to scam.com :)

Old 03-29-2007, 06:52 PM
Newbie Member

Re: Beware of Family Heritage Life Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakingAction
If a salesman knocks on your door and they're from Family Heritage Life Insurance Company, slam the door in their face.

After a incident at my home a few days ago, I'm pressing charges against a salesman of Family Heritage Life Insurance Company, and plan to pursue legal action against them as well.
Do you mind if I ask what part of the country you live in? Also, what kind of experience did you have with the agent?

Old 03-30-2007, 11:09 AM
Newbie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by protectyourfamily
Do you mind if I ask what part of the country you live in? Also, what kind of experience did you have with the agent?
I live in Texas. The salesman came to my home. He was told that we were not interested, as well to leave. The man would not leave. He stood on my front porch arguing. He was told repeated times to leave, and he still wouldn't comply.

He was finally leaving, when he made a rude comment while walking down my driveway, which I made the threat to respond with legal action. The salesman turns around and starts approaching me, walking really fast. Now, I'm fearing for my safety. I yelled for a family member in my house to bring me my shotgun, as I would've used lethal force had he made it to my door.

He finally got the hint and left, while still being the most unprofessional man I have ever seen. The whole disturbance caused by him, lasted around 15 minutes.

I did make contact with the local police department. After speaking with police, it was determined that the salesman & company broke State & Local laws. I'm pressing charges against the salesman, which he'll have to show up in court for (if he doesn't show, he'll have a warrant out for his arrest). I've called the salesman's local office that he's located out of to file a complaint (of course with no response from them).

I've contact Family Heritage's Corporate office and and filing complaints there as well. I'm looking to teach this guy a lesson.

Old 03-30-2007, 04:58 PM
Newbie Member

Quote:
I live in Texas. The salesman came to my home. He was told that we were not interested, as well to leave. The man would not leave. He stood on my front porch arguing. He was told repeated times to leave, and he still wouldn't comply.

He was finally leaving, when he made a rude comment while walking down my driveway, which I made the threat to respond with legal action. The salesman turns around and starts approaching me, walking really fast. Now, I'm fearing for my safety. I yelled for a family member in my house to bring me my shotgun, as I would've used lethal force had he made it to my door.

He finally got the hint and left, while still being the most unprofessional man I have ever seen. The whole disturbance caused by him, lasted around 15 minutes.

I did make contact with the local police department. After speaking with police, it was determined that the salesman & company broke State & Local laws. I'm pressing charges against the salesman, which he'll have to show up in court for (if he doesn't show, he'll have a warrant out for his arrest). I've called the salesman's local office that he's located out of to file a complaint (of course with no response from them).

I've contact Family Heritage's Corporate office and and filing complaints there as well. I'm looking to teach this guy a lesson.
Very sorry to hear about your ordeal. I am personally very much against the high pressure "scare" tactics I have personally witnessed this company use. Each "agent" is "trained" (more like drilled/brainwashed) to overcome ANY objection. Only the most staunch homeowner will deter them. This is not to say that some of the agents do not have personal limits. It seems however, that your agent was possibly low on sales and must have been pushing very hard to get his "demo" in so as to convince you to purchase a policy. Around this time of year, there are certain "point" quota's each agent must acquire in order to win a "free" trip from the local office. Hopefully you will be extremely successful in your legal proceedings. These types of companies breed this kind of individual and rest assured, there are many more just like him.

In Texas there are, I believe, 3-4 "agencies" for FHL. Texas Heritage, Pinnacle Brokerage and a couple of others I don't remember. Either one of these? Just curious. They operate out of San Antonio, Austin, Dallas and Houston, with several "road trips" a year to other Texas towns for a week at a time. The agency I had dealings with was in the mid-west but the agents/agencies are all clones of each other.

Last edited by protectyourfamily : 03-30-2007 at 05:26 PM.

Old 03-30-2007, 05:16 PM
Newbie Member

Quote:
I've called the salesman's local office that he's located out of to file a complaint (of course with no response from them).

One other question...how did you find out the name of his local office? This is not information that is typically given out by agents. They merely state they represent FHL.

Old 03-30-2007, 08:07 PM
Newbie Member

Even if the executives of multi-level marketing (MLM) companies like Family Heritage had great products and good intentions … which makes me chuckle just typing it … good intentions? lol … the RECRUITING portion of the plan (which is what makes it an MLM in the first place) simply CANNOT work in the long term. Look at the below very eye-opening calculations for yourself and try to refute them:

Canada’s Population (as of 2006): 32,248,600
United States Population (as of 2006): 298,444,215

Total Population: 330,692,815

I once worked for A.I.L./Altig International (another insurance MLM) so I’ll use their recruiting expectations for my example as they’re probably pretty close to other MLM’s.

Altig/A.I.L.’s expectations, when I worked there, were that each Hiring Manager would hire 10 new agents per week … with the assumption that around 2 of them would actually get through the licensing and training, and start selling insurance. The promise to these agents was that, if they became an MGA, they could have a down-line of agents below them whom they could start earning money from.

Let me show you how quickly the North American market would be saturated with these statistics alone … and how many people at the bottom of the MLM would end up working their asses off for nothing within a mere 7 or 8 years:

60 offices X 1 Hiring Manager per office = 60 Hiring Managers
60 Hiring Managers X 2 new agents/week X 52 weeks in FIRST year = 6240 agents

Let’s say, in the SECOND year, each of these 6240 agents want, at minimum, another 4 agents below themselves to earn money off:
6240 + (6240 X 4) = 31,200 agents

Let’s say, in the THIRD year, each of these 31,200 agents want, at minimum, another 4 agents below themselves to earn money off:
31,200 + (31,200 X 4) = 156,000 agents

By the FOURTH year, if this pattern continues…
156,000 + (156,000 X 4) = 780,000 agents

By the FIFTH year, if this pattern continues…
780,000 + (780,000 X 4) = 3,900,000 agents

By the SIXTH year,
3,900,000 + (3,900,000 X 4) = 19,500,000 agents

By the SEVENTH year, we’ve already surpassed the entire population of Canada
19,500,000 + (19,500,000 X 4) = 97,500,000 agents

By the EIGHTH year, we’ve surpassed the entire population of North America
97,500,000 + (97,500,000 X 4) = 487,500,000 agents

The truth is, this pattern probably wouldn’t even be able to sustain itself into the fifth or sixth year before collapsing for a couple of reasons:
1. You need to have SOME people leftover to be customers, don’t you? You can’t have the whole population of North America as an Altig/A.I.L. agent.
2. There are several MLM insurance companies who are trying to accomplish the exact same thing as Altig/A.I.L. There’s no way any of them could possibly get this much market share in the first place.
I don’t even remember what the expectation was for agents……whether or not they were expected to have more than 4 agents below them. But even with these small numbers, it is easy to see how quickly the MLM would saturate the market and collapse.

It's also now easy to understand why the company doesn't give all the truth upfront, and why people feel "cheated" and "lied to" and "used" once they realize the truth for themselves. It's because the ones at the bottom ARE being "cheated" and "lied to" and "used" in order to sustain the pyramid......

Let's say Alig/A.I.L. actually WAS able to multiply to the numbers above in the 7th year, then they would have no other choice but to LIE to all the recruits in the 8th year to make them join the company. Those above them would already know the market-place was saturated, and that none of the 8th-year recruits could expect to have recruits under them.......instead, those 8th-year recruits would just be working their asses off to sustain the "pyramid" above them. But someone would have to lie to them, make them believe they could have success, just to get them to work there in the first place (which is pretty much what we see happening already).

This is what's wrong with this type of business, and why it should be illegal. Eventually, someone is going to get screwed. Someone is going to be lied to so that everyone else can continue making the money they're making.

It's a scam. It can never work in the long term. And it should be illegal.

Old 03-30-2007, 08:27 PM
Newbie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWholeTruth
Even if the executives of multi-level marketing (MLM) companies like Family Heritage had great products and good intentions … which makes me chuckle just typing it … good intentions? lol … the RECRUITING portion of the plan (which is what makes it an MLM in the first place) simply CANNOT work in the long term.

This is what's wrong with this type of business, and why it should be illegal. Eventually, someone is going to get screwed. Someone is going to be lied to so that everyone else can continue making the money they're making.

It's a scam. It can never work in the long term. And it should be illegal.
Unfortunatley, FHL (corporate) is VERY proud of their "product". It's not a bad policy but, look at the following link for some interesting info:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...yndication=rss

I was particularly interested in the AM Best and Fitch ratings.

That having been said, TakingAction is on the consumer end of an MLM driven structure. (I did not say they OPENLY confess to being MLM but...) In this case, the "captive agencies" or local offices as TakingAction referred to it, are the REAL culprits. While they DO have a "product", the goal is to make as many sales as possible REGARDLESS of who/how/why it affects people (consumers AND agents) They brag about "helping people" when in the finale, they are interested MORE in helping themselves. (I speak of the top levels of this structure) Consumers and potential agents should be EXTREMELY cautious in dealing with this organization and its agencies. Do the research. For consumers, ask to see DETAILED fine print on the policy (the agents don't carry it) and remember, while your "benifits" never reduce, they also never increase. So as the GNP/inflation rises over 25 years, how much will 300 towards a room go for at that time? Additionally, advances in current medicine continue to drive up the costs so that even this gap insurance will eventually only marginally cover the expenses. For potential agents, refer to the two Altig/AIL threads and review the VERY detailed accounts of the "typical" expectations (monetary and personal) that will be required.

And yes...these types of companies should be illegal.

Last edited by protectyourfamily : 03-30-2007 at 08:30 PM.

Old 03-30-2007, 09:12 PM
Newbie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick in California
Not at all, because in a real pyramid scheme, there is NO LEGITIMATE product or service being sold and you can NOT make more money than the person who brought you in.

And given COMPETITION, "saturation" is virtually IMPOSSIBLE.
Just a bit more information for those who are not aware of what exactly the difference is between a "legal MLM" and an "illegal pyramid" scheme. Not much difference........

http://www.rickross.com/reference/ge...eneral546.html

A very thin line between multilevel marketing and pyramid schemes

.......Shadows of the pyramid

.........Traditionally, pyramiding involves only the investment of money in which a recruit would have to get a specific number of downlines and earn a certain percentage from the amount he invested and those that were poured in by the recruits of the recruits.

But when authorities cracked down on firms or persons involved in this illegal scheme, some "innovative" groups thought of going around the law by offering products and/or services in their scheme.

Thus began the problem of distinguishing a legitimate MLM from those into pyramiding.

Olmos says MLM in itself is legal.

"It is a marketing strategy to broaden the market base," he said. But only a thin line separates networking from the pyramid scheme.

Olmos stressed that simply by offering products and services, a networking company becomes legal and is shielded from pyramiding charges.

.......Doomed to fail?

MLMs work by geometric expansion, whereby a recruit must in turn recruit a certain number of people. So, if selling the product is a mere sideshow to the real profit-making anchored on recruitment, an MLM firm is bound to collapse at a certain level due to saturation.

If, for example, a recruit, in order to earn his commission, must recruit 10 other people, at a depth of three levels, there would be 1,000 persons under his pyramid. At a depth of six levels, that number would swell to one million.

Considering the limited number of people who can afford and are willing to buy and use a particular product, saturation is inevitable and fast. This makes only those on top of the chain happy while those below are doomed to lose money.

To compound the situation, in MLMs the product is not the real reason people are enticed to join. The product offered is merely the excuse to legitimize the real and probably illegal moneymaking scam.

So, in other words, MLM's are nothing more than pyramid schemes that found a loophole in the legal system that allowed them to continue scamming people. Otherwise, they're no different, and no better than illegal pyramids.

Old 03-31-2007, 06:09 AM
Newbie Member

protectyourfamily, after our discussion on the American Income Life is a Fraud thread http://www.scam.com/showthread.php?p=356922#post356922, about how MLM insurance companies offer "unlimited" income, et cetera, I sent fake career inquiries to a couple of different MLMs.............Family Heritage replied. Below are our emails:

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Sent: Wednesday, March 28, 2007 8:58 PM
To: Contact
Subject: Career Opportunity

I've been reading your website and I have a couple of questions for you:

1. When you say, "Family Heritage provides an industry-leading compensation package, combining personal sales, management income and lifetime renewal income. Generous performance bonuses along with incentives" what do you mean? Do you offer any kind of base salary (not a "draw," but an actual "salary" that doesn't have to be paid back)? Or are all personal sales, management incomes, renewals, bonuses, etc., paid through straight 100% commissions?

2. If/when you hire new agents, are they considered "employees" or "independent contractors"?

3. Can one of your agents also sell for other insurance companies?

I look forward to hearing back from you soon.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Sent: Thursday, March 29, 2007 9:17 AM
Subject: RE: Career Opportunity

First of all thanks for inquiring into a career with us.

All of our Sales/Management personnel are independent contractors.

At one point, we did have our sales people as employees, but as we
evolved, and continued to grow, it was clear our sales people wanted an
unlimited income.

Over time, we changed our compensation model from a base pay [that
didn't have to get repaid] to an accelerated commission program. I say
accelerated commission program because a straight commission plan would
put any new sales professional in an income crunch. Our plan pays each
sales/mgt. professional a little of 7 months of commission upon each
sale made. This allows him/her to reach their financial needs much
quicker than usual.

Because of this plan, along with our Lifetime renewals, stock options,
monthly/quarterly bonuses etc, which are paid above our accelerated
commissions, our sales professionals are some of the highest compensated
insurance people in the business.

Of course, because we don't offer a base from which to start, we are not
a good fit for all people. We understand that. But for those that do
work with us, the flexibility that we offer combined with the income and
income potential that is realized, our opportunity is one of the best in
the business.

Last, we do allow our sales representatives to represent other
companies. These sales representatives are considered non captive.
While they have the same opportunity to sell our products and receive
commissions, they do not participate in the incentives that the rest of
our sales force is offered.

I hope I have addressed your questions fully. Should you have any
questions, don't hesitate to write or call.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

What are your thoughts, protectyourfamily, as someone with inside information on this company?

Old 03-31-2007, 07:07 AM
Newbie Member

Quote:
protectyourfamily, after our discussion on the American Income Life is a Fraud.............Family Heritage replied. Below are our emails:
It is without ANY surprise that they responded. They are so deeply entrenched in an MLM structure that the mere INQUIRY into their "opportunity" makes them behave like Pavlov's dog! Watch how agressively they will "recuit" you. The proof is ALWAYS in the pudding, as I am sure YOU are very well aware. Funny how your desire to "probe" these companies revealed the unsavory characters that live under the rock you rolled over called FHL (or their captive agencies).

Quote:
At one point, we did have our sales people as employees, but as we evolved, and continued to grow, it was clear our sales people wanted an unlimited income.
Can't speak very intelligently to this. I am only familiar with the last six years. However, why would their sales force want "unlimited income". If their "product" is so great, it should be selling like hotcakes thereby negating the need to restructure the pay schedule. Don't mainstream gap insurance companies provide the chance at six figure incomes with PLENTY of incentive as true employees? Why would "employees" want "unlimited income"? Most well paid employees are satisfied with high incomes. Perhaps the infiltration of MLM? Great way to make quick cash, "evolve" your business and shirk the responibility of a TRUE employer.

Quote:
Over time, we changed our compensation model from a base pay [that didn't have to get repaid] to an accelerated commission program. I say accelerated commission program because a straight commission plan would put any new sales professional in an income crunch. Our plan pays each sales/mgt. professional a little of 7 months of commission upon each sale made. This allows him/her to reach their financial needs much quicker than usual.
Please. Do they think you're stupid! 100% commission is still 100% commission. ACCELERATED COMMISSION?!?! ALL insurance companies advance between 5 to 12 months on sales! This is industry STANDARD! Now while they state that straight commission would put any new sales "professional" in an income crunch, and that the agent will reach their financial needs much quicker than usual, they neglect to tell you how long it might take to actually MAKE a sale and/or "survive" if your first few sales cancel (which you know from experience they do). If the agent fails to meet their financial needs, what do you think the manager tells them? You already know.

Quote:
Because of this plan, along with our Lifetime renewals, stock options, monthly/quarterly bonuses etc, which are paid above our accelerated commissions, our sales professionals are some of the highest compensated insurance people in the business.
Blah, blah, blah.....same as EVERY other door-to-door insurance company. In fact, AIL is rated higher than FHL and seems to offer a better compensation package. They HAVE to state this or they might lose the potential "lackey" to AIL!

Quote:
Of course, because we don't offer a base from which to start, we are not a good fit for all people. We understand that. But for those that do work with us, the flexibility that we offer combined with the income and income potential that is realized, our opportunity is one of the best in the business.
Again...blah, blah, blah. Nice way to CYA. Flexibility?! You know the whole truth. Realized income potential? NEVER saw it happen.

Quote:
Last, we do allow our sales representatives to represent other companies. These sales representatives are considered non captive. While they have the same opportunity to sell our products and receive commissions, they do not participate in the incentives that the rest of
our sales force is offered.
COMPLETE LIE!!!!!!! The agents MUST sign a NON-COMPETE contract when they sign up!!!! I NEVER met a NON CAPTIVE agent, did you? Can you imagine an agent representing BOTH AIL and FHL?!?! Additionally, is there EVER any EXTRA time to pitch another company? Lastly, EVERY agent that produces for this company is offered the incentives so long as they meet the "quotas" required. Again, do they think you are so mentally deficient so as to believe that a SOLID producer wouldn't demand the incentives offered to "captive agents"? They would obviously quit. Oh...but the managers would never let that happen. Thanks for the inquiry to other similar companies. You made my day. Purging is quite refreshing.

Last edited by protectyourfamily : 03-31-2007 at 07:12 AM.

Old 03-31-2007, 09:43 AM
Newbie Member

Quote:
One other question...how did you find out the name of his local office? This is not information that is typically given out by agents. They merely state they represent FHL.
I did my own investigating, by going around my local neighborhood and compiled evidence. This guy is located out of Georgetown, Texas. I was able to obtain a copy of his business card :D

Old 03-31-2007, 10:27 AM
Newbie Member

I also found out that he sells Family Heritage’s insurance as an independent contractor, which basically allows him to get away with anything he wants. I can't wait to expose this guy in court.

Old 03-31-2007, 08:54 PM
Newbie Member

Quote:
..........COMPLETE LIE!!!!!!! The agents MUST sign a NON-COMPETE contract when they sign up!!!! I NEVER met a NON CAPTIVE agent, did you? Can you imagine an agent representing BOTH AIL and FHL?!?! Additionally, is there EVER any EXTRA time to pitch another company? Lastly, EVERY agent that produces for this company is offered the incentives so long as they meet the "quotas" required. Again, do they think you are so mentally deficient so as to believe that a SOLID producer wouldn't demand the incentives offered to "captive agents"? They would obviously quit. Oh...but the managers would never let that happen. Thanks for the inquiry to other similar companies. You made my day. Purging is quite refreshing.
I figured that statement was just a bunch of bull****, but I thought I'd ask you about it since you have firsthand experience with FHL. Actually, I'm going to email the guy, again, to ask him whether or not I'd be able to sell for Family Heritage and American Income Life simultaneously........I'll let you know what he says.

Incidentally, like you, I'm on a mission to expose MLMs for what they are. I've been posting on the "Primerica" and "World Financial" threads on this site over the past couple of days. Interestingly enough, I came across yet another pro-MLMer, much like the one on the American Income Life is a Scam thread, who agreed that the 98.5% fail rate is accurate. Honestly, it makes me laugh out loud when they reply to that question in that manner and expect people to see their answer as a positive.

Below was my reply to that poster. (No doubt my reply also applies to FHL which is why I'm including it here.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by openingdreams
........You are correct in your fact that 95-98% (I'm saving that .5%) of people don't last. On average over 400,000 people a month delve into the home based business opportunity nationwide........
This is what always baffles me about pro-MLMers......you actually AGREE with me that 98% of people don't last in MLMs........and yet you STILL expect me to believe it's a "wonderful opportunity."

Are you trying to tell me that, if 98% of people "fail" at an opportunity, it's 98% of the peoples' faults? That it's not a problem with the so-called "opportunity" itself? Give me a break!

Here's a good rebuttal to that........better than any rebuttal I could ever give you:

http://www.armydiller.com/financial-scam/failure.htm

It is a copout to put the full blame for failure on this 80-95% who throw in the towel at scammer firms given the odds against them, yet that is exactly what happens. Furthermore, it serves a purpose.

At the scammer firm, success is always just "around the corner." Scammers convince the rep that he's one of the "elite" who can make it and pound into him that it's his fault when he can't. Lures of cash bonuses and trips are dangled, constant "you-can-do-it" rah-rah meetings are mandatory, and reps are told that quitters just "didn't have what it takes" (unlike you who are sticking it out!) or "violated major securities laws and were fired" (but we know you wouldn't do such a thing!). A real cult mentality of false hope develops among reps who buy into this reasoning. This is an actual quote* from a rep:

"[XXXX] is a great company and yes just like anything else it's hard to make $100,000 a year. But if your [sic] willing to put in the work it's just almost guaranteed that you will make it... if you are willing to do what I've done you will have the same results, if not than [sic] quit like everyone else quits everything they do and be bitter. But don't bad mouth a great company because you don't have what it takes to win."

I have little doubt that that rep was gone within 2 years and never pulled $100K. This quote* is my favorite and pretty much sums it up:

"Can you tell a 21 year old [...] who makes $50,000 a year with [XXXX] a loser? I know I am but what are you?"

Yeah, right!

It's all designed to instill in the quitter an unreasonable sense of failure. Why? If the quitter feels responsible for his failure, he won't place the blame where it belongs and sue the firm. After all, he's been purposely deceived! Guilt and shame are instrumental in avoiding lawsuits at this point.

Last edited by TheWholeTruth : 03-31-2007 at 09:01 PM.

Old 03-31-2007, 09:17 PM
Newbie Member

Quote:
I also found out that he sells Family Heritage’s insurance as an independent contractor, which basically allows him to get away with anything he wants. I can't wait to expose this guy in court.
TakingAction, all the MLM insurance firms (American Income Life, Primerica, Family Heritage Life.......) categorize their "employees" as "Independent Contractors" for the very reason you've written above. This way, you'll go after the "little fish" in court, but the "big sharks," who are the ones giving that agent direction, and who are actually the perpetrators of the entire scam, will go free while he possibly goes to jail. Yours is a perfect example of how the company covers it's own ass at the expense of it's employees.

You might be interested in reading the below website since you've become a victim of a financial scamming company. I'm cutting and pasting a portion about "independent contractors" in here to show you (and other potential agents/victims) why being categorized as an independent contractor is NOT a positive thing:

^^^^^^^^

http://www.armydiller.com/financial-scam/ic.htm

"Independent contractor?"

Scammer firms often illegally hire their reps as "independent contractors," which in essence means that those reps are (unwittingly) running their own businesses -- paying for their own training, advertising, marketing, insurance, all business expenses, taxes, etc. Note how I emphasized taxes? The inexperienced rep (and most are, remember) may not realize the real cost of "owning his own business" until he suddenly owes a hefty chunk of his meager first-year income to the IRS!

But is it really his own business?

NO, it is not.
Scammers attempt to mislead the "independent contractor" into believing he's working for (or has even bought) a franchise......

.....The last and perhaps most important reason for misclassifying employees as ICs involves legal liability. Many firms simply feign ignorance of a "rogue" rep's "misconduct" when a consumer brings a lawsuit or a regulatory agency brings an action, even when they explicitly (but verbally!) encouraged the often-ignorant rep to break the law. The FTC has this to say about independent contractors involved in direct sales organizations:
If you decide to become a [salesperson], remember that you're legally responsible for the claims you make about the company, its product and the business opportunities it offers. [...] When you promote the qualities of a product or service, you're obligated to present those claims truthfully and to ensure there's enough solid evidence to back them up. The Federal Trade Commission advises you to verify the research behind any claims about a product's performance before repeating those claims to a potential customer. Likewise, if you decide to solicit new [salespeople], be aware that you're responsible for any claims you make about a [salesperson]'s earnings potential. [...] If those promises fall through, remember that you could be held liable.
Did you get that? As an independent contractor, you are responsible for doing the firm's homework and ensuring that its claims about the itself and its products, services, and opportunities are true! An independent contractor's own ignorance in simply repeating what he's been told could earn him fines and jail or prison time while the firm pleads ignorance of his "unapproved illegal activities" and gets off with a slap on the wrist, if that.

^^^^^^^^

No doubt the company won't back up their agent when you take him to court for being too aggressive with you.........even though they, themselves, ENCOURAGE aggressive tactics. They preach about W.I.T. which stands for "Whatever It Takes" to get the sale. No doubt in my mind that agent went back to his office and chuckled with everyone about the whole incident at your place, and no doubt in my mind he wasn't reprimanded for behaving that way. I saw similar episodes at American Income Life - and that is no lie.

Last edited by TheWholeTruth : 03-31-2007 at 09:42 PM.

Old 04-01-2007, 11:32 PM
Newbie Member

Quote:
I figured that statement was just a bunch of bull****, but I thought I'd ask you about it since you have firsthand experience with FHL. Actually, I'm going to email the guy, again, to ask him whether or not I'd be able to sell for Family Heritage and American Income Life simultaneously........I'll let you know what he says.
Interested in the path it will take.

Quote:
Incidentally, like you, I'm on a mission to expose MLMs for what they are...Interestingly enough, I came across yet another pro-MLMer, much like the one on the American Income Life is a Scam thread, who agreed that the 98.5% fail rate is accurate. Honestly, it makes me laugh out loud when they reply to that question in that manner and expect people to see their answer as a positive.
The difficulty, as I see it, is the inability to actually "catch" the "big sharks" (as you alluded to in "Beware FHL" thread) in the act of ripping apart the little fish and comsumers. Someone like yourself, Wghholtrad and Perfundity have a better chance than most because of the initmate, first hand knowledge of the actual OUTRIGHT dictation to break laws. This because most new "independent contractors" are CLUELESS with regard to the actual laws that are/can be broken. The FTC is obviously VERY clear in what is illegal. Actually, YOU are probably in the better seat because you were actually an employee. As I have personally witnessed, the 1st and 2nd level managers are just "educated" enough to be dangerous with regard to the first amendment. (The main "cogs" at FHL are the REAL culprits) These 1st and 2nd level managers constantly quote (or rather mis-quote) the right to free speech intermingled with the legal "product" which differentiates them from an actual pyramid. (But I guess we all have the right to make money in this country-right?)

With regard to this individual's response to the 98.5%...remember how, as you yourself have seen (and maybe even marginally participated in), the "managers" are specifically trained to put a spin on the numbers so that, instead of looking like Mt. Everest (and you are an inexperienced climber) they convince you that you are the second coming of Sir Edmond Hilary! Bizzare as this analogy may sound, what is even MORE bizzare is the fact that MOST "interviewees" actually BELIEVE this! On the AIL is a scam thread, someone suggested that I didn't "understand" the constant "encouragement" needed by the agents. That they are "empowered" with the "tools" to succeed NOT "scammed" into failure. Here is what I think: The reality is CLEARLY evident in the failure (turnover is more proper, but this term is not very well accepted by these companies) rate ITSELF and the bitter feelings experienced by these "losers".

Quote:
This is what always baffles me about pro-MLMers......you actually AGREE with me that 98% of people don't last in MLMs........and yet you STILL expect me to believe it's a "wonderful opportunity."

Are you trying to tell me that, if 98% of people "fail" at an opportunity, it's 98% of the peoples' faults? That it's not a problem with the so-called "opportunity" itself?
The problem here, is the fact that pro-agents do not see their companies as MLM's. Funny though, the "failure" rate for MLM's and door-to-door insurance companies is IDENTICAL. This should set off all kinds of alarms to EVERYBODY! (agents, potential agents, consumers, the government)

Quote:
"[XXXX] is a great company and yes just like anything else it's hard to make $100,000 a year. But if your [sic] willing to put in the work it's just almost guaranteed that you will make it... if you are willing to do what I've done you will have the same results, if not than [sic] quit like everyone else quits everything they do and be bitter. But don't bad mouth a great company because you don't have what it takes to win."
The "leaders" in these companies are true sycophants! But we all know the saying: What comes around goes around. The "winners" at these companies are losers in life. If that seems appealing to some people...

Quote:
It's all designed to instill in the quitter an unreasonable sense of failure. Why? If the quitter feels responsible for his failure, he won't place the blame where it belongs and sue the firm.[/b] After all, he's been purposely deceived! Guilt and shame are instrumental in avoiding lawsuits at this point.
Very sad, but true. Let's not forget the MAIN reason they do this: MONEY. If you can slyly instill the "loser" mentality at the outset, you AUTOMATICALLY "challege" the agent to succeed (make sales for the company). WHEN the agent finally "sees the light", the company flips on the the loser switch and keeps the residual income.