report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER
Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Nigerian Scams
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2007, 07:45 PM
Newbie Member

I got a large check snal mail

I got a large check in the mail made out to me. there was a letter simply stating I was to call a number before cashing the check to verify my receipt. It was a business line and you could only leave a message. I went to the bank and told them I am very leery of this check and asked that they please check it out and put a long hold on the funds.
I then notified the Postal authorities of possible mail fraud in the US and Canada. The check looked legitimate and the banker is behind me.
I have no idea where this money came from or why.
I told the bank president I was extremely leery, he said he would not come after me if the check is bad, and not even charge me a bad check fee. he wants to know what is going on too.

Old 01-20-2007, 07:55 PM
Gold Member

Re: I got a large check snal mail

It can take weeks for a check to clear. In the meantime, the bank will often credit your account. If the check is fake, the bank will try to retrieve the funds credited to you.

Ask yourself why a complete stranger would send you a check. They will probably ask for some of the check to be sent to them with the intention of being long gone when it bounces.

Do Not Cash The Check. Do Not Deposit The Check. Contact your local law enforcement.

Old 01-21-2007, 12:40 AM
Newbie Member

Believe me, I have asked that question. I did have a large investment with a company years ago that went bad, that is the only thing we can think this micht be.
I do not plan on spending a penny of this money, and if it does clear, I am still going to continue to investagate.

Old 01-21-2007, 01:16 AM
Gold Member

I would not put this check in any existing checking or savings account. It could freeze your accounts. Open a separate account for the deposit of this check only. Require your signature and a bank officer's signature before it can be transferred to any other account or cashed. Allow the bank all the time they need to confirm it is real, and not bogus. I find it hard to believe your bank would waive all fees if this check turned out to be bogus/fraud. Not saying it would not happen, but just not the normal situation.

As for the issuer of the check. All you have to do is contact the issuing bank on which the check was drawn and issued, and they will tell you who it was sending you this check. Worth the phone call don't you think?

Last edited by EagleOne : 01-21-2007 at 01:19 AM.

Old 01-21-2007, 06:57 AM
Newbie Member

That is just what I did. I went to a credit union and opened a new account with a new bank not related to any other of my accounts.
Part of me knows there is somthing just not right about this, but I checked out the legality of depositing this check and as long as I do not touch the funds for a long period of time, the only thing that can happen is they can bounce the check back to me. they said if that happens they will not charge me the usual bounce check fee because I came to them upfront wit this.

Old 01-21-2007, 07:00 AM
Newbie Member

We did already contact the issueing bank and they will not give out corporate check information, they would only verify the account number was theirs.
I allways say if it sounds too good to be true then it probably is. will see. I have never gone thru anything like this before in my life. The check looks very real, it has water marks and metal bands in the check.

Old 01-21-2007, 07:01 AM
Newbie Member

We did already contact the issueing bank and they will not give out corporate check information, they would only verify the account number was theirs.
I allways say if it sounds too good to be true then it probably is. will see. I have never gone thru anything like this before in my life. The check looks very real, it has water marks and metal bands in the check. if it is a fraud, it is a very good fraud.

Old 02-01-2007, 11:41 PM
I am new at Scam.com

I just got one from Union Bank of California. I was told to pay a commission to a C. Silver at www.GrantChecks.com. There is no such website. I DID find the bank online and have contacted them by email to find out if the check is good. It is one of two checks granted to those in financial need. And boy, could I use the money.

Old 02-15-2007, 05:54 AM
I am new at Scam.com

undefinedundefined
I recently got a large check from a company in California and was very leery about it as well. I went to my local bank and they said that it looked fishy and told me to take it to the police and also gave me some information on scams that the FBI has on their web site. Why would a company send me a check only to have me send them back a comission? The company is www.grantchecks.com and I went there to find out more info and they do not even have a phone number to speak to a live person -- only a fax number and a mailing address. What to do because I could really use the money....

Old 02-15-2007, 08:16 AM
Silver Member

It's a scam, people.

You'll find many versions posted. A different name, same scam. Do not attempt to cash. It is fake. You'll owe the bank, unless you've a forgiving bank and some.

Old 02-17-2007, 11:44 PM
I am new at Scam.com

The checks are fake. I received one, did some research online, contacted the bank the check was "issued" from, and they advised that I file a police report on the check. The checkis issued off of California National Bank (referred to by CalNational) and the number to reach them is 1-866-373-7838.

Old 02-19-2007, 07:20 PM
I am new at Scam.com

I got one early last week and called california as well. They said if you cash the check, not only will it bounce, but the fraud dept also said, "If you cash it, the people who wrote it to you will have your banking info and more than likely send checks to some one else with your check numbers."

So BECAREFUL!

I learned a long time ago that if you receive a check in the mail, you can ALWAYS call the bank it's from to see if the funds are there. THEY HAVE TO TELL YOU! DO NOT ever put a chack in your bank account without knowing where it's from. Always cash it at the bank it is from, or a check cashing place. Only cash personal checks from ppl you KNOW WELL or Gov't checks.

Old 02-19-2007, 09:16 PM
I am new at Scam.com

I recieved a large check from grantchecks.com by snail mail but I was stupid enough to deposit this one good thing I called my bank to check on it. It turned it was counterfeit. Beware of anything coming from this company or website. They also have a website up and running. Looks legitimate also but don't be fooled by it.

www.grantchecks.com BEWARE OF THIS SITE AND ANYTHING FROM IT

Old 02-22-2007, 09:59 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Upon calling 1-866-373-7838 to reach the bank listed as being used by GrantChecks.com, I informed the first person I spoke to that I had received a "suspicious check by mail," stating that I was in receipt of a large grant. Before I could say anything else, the gentleman asked me, "Is it from Landscape (Associates, Inc.)?" When I confirmed that it was, he stated flat-out that it was a fraudulent check.

This got me thinking. According to the letter enclosed with the check, Landscape Associates Inc. receives donated money that they redistribute in grant form. The money, by the fact that Landscape is listed on the check itself and NOT the supposed donor, is already in Landscape Associates, Inc.'s hands. Why, then, do they require that the recipient cash their check and send them back a commission payment, instead of simply taking the commission right off the top, given that the money is supposedly already in their company's possession and has left the donor's hands?

It is possible to attempt to cash this check in such a fashion as to avoid winding up being taken to the cleaners. This, however, requires a lot of effort (setting up a separate bank account, stop payment measures, etc.) and may involve taking a number of steps for which your bank may charge significant fees. And, of course, the key term here is attempt to cash; the funds to pay for the check simply do not exist. You would go through a lot of trouble, and possibly considerable expense, for no return whatsoever, ever.

Do what I did. File a report with the FBI's Website including all pertinent information, and then tear the check into 1,378 itty-bitty pieces, before promptly tossing it into the trash. I was lucky to have a concerned family member that I gabbed about receiving the check, whose internet research was more thorough and careful than mine; my mother discovered this Website on my behalf, and directed me to this thread.

Old 04-04-2007, 06:26 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Re: Another SCAM

I received a very large check in the mail marked as a "grant." It was from a company marked 'www.GrantChecks.com'. They claimed to be grant brokers, etc... After I deposited the check the instructions were to use GreenDot, which is legitimate, and I had 5 days to send the commission of 10%.

Well, I was skeptical, but deposited the check and was not about to send anything until I was sure that the check had cleared. My Credit Union just called, and asked me about this - sure enough it's a scam! She was very nice, and explained all about this. Just wanted everyone else to know!

Old 04-04-2007, 07:27 PM
I am new at Scam.com

I also got one of these checks from grantchecks.com for $4950.00 and they wanted me to deposit the check and then immedatly send them $495 within 5 days, funny that there was a 5 DAY HOLD ON THE CHECK. My broker was Ronnie Ellison, but there are several others. Thank you all for the info about this. Where should I report this SCAM to?

Old 04-05-2007, 08:39 AM
Newbie Member

Unbelievably, I just got five Money orders in the mail drawn on Wells Fargo, these people are good at what they do, the Money orders look very real, I called wells Fargo and the router number is correct, the account number is the correct number, but the money order numbers were not registered with Wells Fargo Bank. Defrauded AGAIN. Latter that day I got an email telling me to deposit the money orders and to let them know when they cleared.
I told him I never got them and sent them to the fraud department of Wells Fargo Bank.
Who gets money in the mail of such a sizeable amount without explanation? This is really something they must think Americans are very Stupid.

Old 04-16-2007, 03:38 AM
I am new at Scam.com

i have received a check from beverly hills grants. a jim welch wants me to cash it and within 5 days send him 500.00 in some greendot card .this must be the same as the grant checks you all are talking about.no i'm no dummy. i checked out this site and realized that this is a fraud too. this will be turned over to the F.B.I. dodgedoll