report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER
Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Political Chat
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2007, 11:14 PM
Diamond Member

U.S. raids Iranian consulate in Iraq

U.S. raids Iranian consulate in Iraq
Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:24 AM GMT

TEHRAN (Reuters) - U.S. troops raided an Iranian consular office in northern Iraq on Thursday and detained five employees, the official Iranian IRNA news agency said.

It said Iran had sent a protest letter to the Iraqi Foreign Ministry about the U.S. raid in the city of Arbil.

"Around 5.00 a.m., after disarming the guards they (U.S. troops) broke into the office, without giving any explanation and arrested five employees," the official IRNA news agency reported, adding that documents and computers were seized
http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/arti...RAN-OFFICE.xml

outstanding!

Old 01-11-2007, 11:17 PM
TheWorker

Re: U.S. raids Iranian consulate in Iraq

exactly what is outstanding...we know absolutely nothing about this....

Old 01-11-2007, 11:24 PM
Diamond Member

...a Kurdish ambassador was just on the BBC saying they considered this an act of war against Kurdistan by the United States.

Yikes. Believe it or not, they can make things very unpleasant for us in Iraq.

Old 01-11-2007, 11:59 PM
Gold Member

sounds like the US is trying to provoke Iran...

Old 01-12-2007, 12:22 AM
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWorker
exactly what is outstanding...we know absolutely nothing about this....
---Payback----

Old 01-12-2007, 12:54 AM
Bronze Member

payback? how so? provoking Iran is the last thing we need. if iran fires first that's one thing but adding more crazies to the fight lol only a bush would do that I feel bad for the US troops going into sadr city..

Old 01-12-2007, 02:08 AM
Gold Member

Right now, Iran is one of the more stable political entities in that part of the world. I would trust them more with nukes then say....Pakistan? Leave them alone. Picking a fight with them would be unforgivably stupid.

Old 01-12-2007, 02:19 AM
Gold Member

The news is saying this was not a building protected by international law. You might want to get your news from someone other than Tehran. Wow, what a source, get real people. No doubt the computers they took have Tehran worried or they would not be raising such a fuss about this.

Old 01-12-2007, 03:03 AM
Gold Member

Building is protected by international law. Consulates and Embassies are the soil of their countries. Raid was illegal.

Could be payback for Carter and the 400 days though.

Page 13, Article 31

http://untreaty.un.org/ilc/texts/ins...s/9_2_1963.pdf

Old 01-12-2007, 06:24 AM
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by franKg
---Payback----
You don't really do 'bright', do you Frank...?

:D
new technologies.
There is nothing glorious about what our ancestors call history,
it is simply a succession of mistakes, intolerances and violations.

Old 01-12-2007, 02:44 PM
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enlightenment
You don't really do 'bright', do you Frank...?

:D
Well STEVIE
I'm just happen to be proud of my president and my country, I'm not saying Bush didn't make mistakes, he made mistakes but he took responsibility for those mistakes.

Did Carter take responsibility for allowing the US embassy to be taken over? NO

Did Carter take responsibility ,after the embassy was taken over , for letting american citizens remain hostages for 2 years? NO

Did Carter take responsibility for allowing a 3rd world country to bring the United States to its knees ? NO

I'm proud that we have a president who didn't sit by a wait for this country to be attacked, Bush gave the UN and the rest of world more than enough notice that if Saddam wouldn't disarm we would use force, and in doing so gave Saddam time to dump his WMD's

It only took two weeks for the US to totally crush the Baathist regime and the Saddam's Fedahim Guard

No other country on the planet could hope to accomplish anything close to this, Russia got thier asses kicked by Chechnia, Great Britain got thier asses kicked by Argentina over the Faulkland Islands

Now its time for the Iranians to get thiers , they've been supplying the Shiite death squads with weapons and funds so I applaud the US military for raiding the consulate, it probably functions as a distribution center for the insurgency

BTW STEVIE
It is grammatically incorrect to place an adjective after a verb

Old 01-12-2007, 03:20 PM
Diamond Member

Quote:
Well STEVIE
I'm just happen to be proud of my president and my country, I'm not saying Bush didn't make mistakes, he made mistakes but he took responsibility for those mistakes.

Did Carter take responsibility for allowing the US embassy to be taken over? NO

Did Carter take responsibility ,after the embassy was taken over , for letting american citizens remain hostages for 2 years? NO

Did Carter take responsibility for allowing a 3rd world country to bring the United States to its knees ? NO

I'm proud that we have a president who didn't sit by a wait for this country to be attacked, Bush gave the UN and the rest of world more than enough notice that if Saddam wouldn't disarm we would use force, and in doing so gave Saddam time to dump his WMD's

It only took two weeks for the US to totally crush the Baathist regime and the Saddam's Fedahim Guard

No other country on the planet could hope to accomplish anything close to this, Russia got thier asses kicked by Chechnia, Great Britain got thier asses kicked by Argentina over the Faulkland Islands

Now its time for the Iranians to get thiers , they've been supplying the Shiite death squads with weapons and funds so I applaud the US military for raiding the consulate, it probably functions as a distribution center for the insurgency

BTW STEVIE
I think the purpose of using quotations was to be idiomatic.

What does Carter have to do with Bush? You always compare presidents to the point where you can justify any idiotic behavior, because of the "other guy". It's weak.

Took repsonsibility for his mistakes? Sure, Bush said that in his speech two nights ago, but he can literally say anything at this point. Show me some appreciable effort towards actually culpability for massive and numerous tactical errors in post-war Iraq, and any effort towards a bold new strategy.... then maybe I'll take Bush's "taking responsibility" seriously.

Old 01-12-2007, 04:58 PM
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmatthews
I think the purpose of using quotations was to be idiomatic.

What does Carter have to do with Bush? You always compare presidents to the point where you can justify any idiotic behavior, because of the "other guy". It's weak.

Took repsonsibility for his mistakes? Sure, Bush said that in his speech two nights ago, but he can literally say anything at this point. Show me some appreciable effort towards actually culpability for massive and numerous tactical errors in post-war Iraq, and any effort towards a bold new strategy.... then maybe I'll take Bush's "taking responsibility" seriously.
I've already answered that on the other thread and if you had bothered to listen to Bush's speech the other night you wouldn't be asking that question now, but that doesn't matter ....right ? because we all know, even if Bush said he was going to REDUCE the number of troops you leftards would be still be howling that Bush is a liar , Bush is Hitler, Bush is a war criminal,...yada..yada.. just like bouncing a rubber ball off a brick wall

Old 01-12-2007, 05:35 PM
Diamond Member

Quote:
I've already answered that on the other thread and if you had bothered to listen to Bush's speech the other night you wouldn't be asking that question now, but that doesn't matter ....right ? because we all know, even if Bush said he was going to REDUCE the number of troops you leftards would be still be howling that Bush is a liar , Bush is Hitler, Bush is a war criminal,...yada..yada.. just like bouncing a rubber ball off a brick wall
I did watch, and listen to, Bush's speech two nights ago night, and I've never compared him to Hitler. I have a transcript and video of it on my mp3 player. Don't put words in my mouth. Saying "I take full responsibility" doesn't mean anything if you don't demonstrate it.

Which other thread? I don't live on this forum, you know. It would be nice if you were polite and just linked to it, instead of implying I'm some kind of idiot for not seeking out your every word.

One more troop increase, when we've already had, what, 2-3 increases in the past year? That's hardly a bold new strategy in the Iraq War, which is what everybody actually wants. Nobody wants to start a war with Iran except maybe you and Grim.

Last edited by ianmatthews : 01-12-2007 at 05:37 PM.

Old 01-12-2007, 08:14 PM
Diamond Member

Quote:
Great Britain got thier asses kicked by Argentina over the Faulkland Islands
BTW STEVIE
Oh, you really are a one, Frankie boy.

Trying to educate me about grammar, and what do we see here....

*Clue, it is in bold* :D

Actually, the UK won that particular war against Argentina, Frankie, not that I supported it.

You seem really proud of war.

Actually, you sound very like George Bush.

Tell me, why are you not over there in Iraq?
new technologies.

Old 01-12-2007, 08:23 PM
Diamond Member

BAGHDAD, Iraq (AP) -- The Iraqi foreign minister said Friday that the five Iranians detained by U.S.-led forces in Kurdish-controlled northern Iraq were working in a liaison office that had government approval and was in the process of being approved as a consulate.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/worl...=1&oref=slogin

Old 01-14-2007, 03:29 PM
Diamond Member

Detained Iranians had ties to extremists

By LAUREN FRAYER,
Associated Press Writer
2 hours, 42 minutes ago

BAGHDAD, Iraq - Five Iranians arrested in northern Iraq last week were connected to an Iranian Revolutionary Guard faction that funds and arms insurgents in Iraq, the U.S. military said Sunday.

The five were detained by U.S.-led forces Thursday in a raid on an Iranian government liaison office in Irbil, a city in Kurdish-controlled northern Iraq 217 miles north of Baghdad.

"Preliminary results revealed the five detainees are connected to the Iranian Revolutionary Guard, Qods Force (IRGC-QF), an organization known for providing funds, weapons, improvised explosive device technology and training to extremist groups attempting to destabilize the government of Iraq and attack coalition forces," the U.S. military said in a statement.

"Qods" is the Arabic name for Jerusalem, and a frequent name for political or military factions across the Muslim world.

Tehran denied the five detained Iranians had been involved in financing and arming insurgents in Iraq.

"Their job was basically consular, official and in the framework of regulations," Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Mohammad Ali Hosseini said Sunday during his weekly media briefing. "What Americans express was incorrect and hyperbole against Iran in order to justify their acts."

Hosseini said the Iranian representative office where the five men worked was established in Irbil in 1992 to facilitate the visit of Kurdish businessmen and medical patients from Iraq to Iran.

"Then, both countries agreed to promote it to consular level," he said. "Agreement for formation of the Iranian consulate section was exchanged in the current (Iranian) year."

The United States accuses Iran of helping to provide roadside bombs that have killed American troops in Iraq, and a bitter standoff already exists between the two countries over Iran's nuclear program. Iran has rejected the allegations.

Hosseini accused the United States of resorting to "hostility and conflict toward neighbors of Iraq" because he said the country did not want to acknowledge it had failed to bring stability to Iraq.

"The United States should release all the five persons, prevent possible similar acts and compensate damages," Hosseini said.

Two days after the raid, Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said President Bush approved the strategy of raiding Iranian targets in Iraq as part of a broad effort to confront Tehran.

One day before the Irbil raid, Bush delivered a speech outlining a new strategy for Iraq, in which he accused Iran and Syria of not doing enough to block terrorists from entering Iraq over their borders. He specifically blamed Iran for providing material support for attacks on American troops.

"We will disrupt the attacks on our forces," Bush said Wednesday. "We will interrupt the flow of support from Iran and Syria. And we will seek out and destroy the networks providing advanced weaponry and training to our enemies in Iraq."

The U.S. State Department has said American-led forces entered the Irbil facility because information linked it to Revolutionary Guards and other Iranian elements engaging in violent activities in Iraq.

U.S.-led troops would "continue to disrupt logistical support to extremists that originate from outside Iraq," the statement continued. "These initiatives are part of a broader plan including diplomatic efforts designed to support the Iraqi government, protect the Iraqi people, and seek assistance from neighboring nations."

There has been debate over whether the Irbil office where the men were arrested had diplomatic status, and would therefore be protected by international treaties.

Iraqi Foreign Minister Hoshyar Zebari, a Kurd, described it as a liaison office that had government approval and was in the process of being approved as an Iranian consulate.

But the U.S. State Department has said no legitimate diplomatic activity was being carried out at the site, and Rice said the office was not a consulate.

"The facility in which the detention took place has been described by various Iraqi officials as an Iranian liaison office, but it did not enjoy the diplomatic status of a consulate according to Iraqi and U.S. officials," the U.S. statement said.

Iran and the U.S. have had no diplomatic relations since 1979, when militants seized the U.S. Embassy in Tehran and kept 52 people hostage for 444 days.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070114/...ained_iranians

Old 01-14-2007, 03:43 PM
Diamond Member

Hey Frankie boy, did you just choose to ignore post 15?

Yer a little selective, huh...?

:)
new technologies.