report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER
Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Mail Order Scams
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2007, 10:26 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Mailing List...Scam or not?

:confused: Hi, this is my first time to be on this forum. I have a question about this letter that I received in the mail today. Basically it is a mailing list ordering system. I send $1 to six people on this letter. Then I add my name to number 6 and then copy the two page letter 200 times. Then I order a list of 200 names from a company and then send these letters to the people on the list. It says that I will receive over 800,000 dollars in as little as 90 days.

This sounds really good, but before I invest in around 169 dollars (which is the $6 I initially send, cost of copies, postage, envelopes, etc.) I want to make sure that this is legitimate. I have received the same letter several different times from different people so I was just wondering if anyone has done it and if it really works.

Tha money would come in real handy especially this time of year.

Thanks for reading.

Old 01-04-2007, 11:18 PM
Diamond Member

Re: Mailing List...Scam or not?

For someone really new to this, this letter called chain letter. It is illigal and you may get in trouble for doing it.

Old 01-05-2007, 04:01 AM
Bronze Member

I tried that exact letter system a few years ago. I received 25-$1 bills in the mail. Several people who got the letter called me to see how I did (near top of list). I got 1 REALLY nasty letter from 1 guy who received 1 of my copies. I didn't hear from any "authorities".

Old 01-05-2007, 08:00 AM
Silver Member

Let me guess: you lost money.

This type of program is illegal and don't work. It only works for the originator.

Old 01-05-2007, 11:08 PM
I am new at Scam.com

My ex-fiance and I received a letter exactly like that about 3 years ago. I got excited because we were to be married and we REALLY needed the money. We invested approximately $164.00 in it and saw NOTHING! I was pissed. It's a scam. The only person who makes money with this is the person who originally sent you out the letter and people, like us, who really need the money and are honest took the bait and were snagged. They send that letter to hundredes, maybe even thousands of people and imagine if 200 respond. He just made $200 with no intention of helping us get money. They make it very convincing, but don't be fooled. My advice, don't do it.

Old 02-17-2007, 12:15 AM
I am new at Scam.com

I have just received the same 'chain letter' that starts by claiming that it has been on Oprah and ABC's Investigative team 20/20 also proved it could be done. I plan on trying to find out more before I make a similar investment in making copies and mailing six strangers ($1) one dollar. :eek:
In theory it looks great but there are many opportunities, which are revealed not to be true. So, let us remain in contact as we discover more on this 'chain letter'.
The numbers are valid but is it legal? On top of that, what attorney has verified the legality - in the letter the attorney did not give his name or even the area of practice he is in.

Old 02-18-2007, 01:56 PM
I am new at Scam.com

I would like to know if it worked so please stay in touch :)

Old 02-18-2007, 02:32 PM
Banned

US Postal Inspection Service
Quote:
A chain letter is a "get rich quick" scheme that promises that your mail box will soon be stuffed full of cash if you decide to participate. You're told you can make thousands of dollars every month if you follow the detailed instructions in the letter.

A typical chain letter includes names and addresses of several individuals whom you may or may not know. You are instructed to send a certain amount of money--usually $5--to the person at the top of the list, and then eliminate that name and add yours to the bottom. You are then instructed to mail copies of the letter to a few more individuals who will hopefully repeat the entire process. The letter promises that if they follow the same procedure, your name will gradually move to the top of the list and you'll receive money -- lots of it.
Quote:
There's at least one problem with chain letters. They're illegal if they request money or other items of value and promise a substantial return to the participants. Chain letters are a form of gambling, and sending them through the mail (or delivering them in person or by computer, but mailing money to participate) violates Title 18, United States Code, Section 1302, the Postal Lottery Statute. (Chain letters that ask for items of minor value, like picture postcards or recipes, may be mailed, since such items are not things of value within the meaning of the law.)
Quote:
Participating in a chain letter is a losing proposition. Turn over any chain letter you receive that asks for money or other items of value to your local postmaster or nearest Postal Inspector. Write on the mailing envelope of the letter or in a separate transmittal letter, "I received this in the mail and believe it may be illegal."

Last edited by nomaxim : 02-18-2007 at 02:39 PM.

Old 02-23-2007, 09:23 PM
Newbie Member

I have recieved one of these letters too. As a matter of fact I have recieved a high amount of scam letters in the past month. Please be carefull where you go on the internet, I think I may have put my name and information in the wrong place and got on some kind of junk mail list of some sort. :eek:

On my letter they stated that you have to include the words "please put me on your mailing list" to make it legal. I would think that it would take more than stating that to make it legal. Glad I didnt fall for this one.

Old 03-01-2007, 01:47 AM
Feisty Bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipper
I have recieved one of these letters too. As a matter of fact I have recieved a high amount of scam letters in the past month. Please be carefull where you go on the internet, I think I may have put my name and information in the wrong place and got on some kind of junk mail list of some sort. :eek:

On my letter they stated that you have to include the words "please put me on your mailing list" to make it legal. I would think that it would take more than stating that to make it legal. Glad I didnt fall for this one.
By requesting that you be put on their mailing list you are paying for a service and that is what is suppose to make it legal.

Old 03-01-2007, 02:04 AM
Newbie Member

I understand that, however does it not make a difference that these are just random people? Would you need to have a buisness license before you have a "mailing list"? Help me out here, I'm kinda interested.

Old 03-27-2007, 07:50 AM
XxGaDixieGirlxX

PEOPLE PEOPLE PEOPLE!
PLEASE KEEP YOUR COMMON SCENCE HANDY!
EVERYONE HAS COMMON SCENCE! FIND IT! YOU KNOW U HAVE IT!
IF IT SOUNDS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE!
IT PROBABLY IS!

i received this exact letter today in the mail (3*26*07). ive seen these before and heard they work but never actually done it myself. im pretty nieve on stuff like this cuz i dont make much money in the first place and would love to actually do something of anything to make money rather its little effort or a ton of effort. i actually do the SMC thing they advertise on tv. that is real u just gotta work ur butt off for it. but i almost got nabbed on this other scam in the mail and seriously thought it was real. my husband saw it (and everythings a scam to him-everything) and looked it up online and found out IT WAS A SCAM! the return address and the address of where my check was, was out of the usa. that was the red flag on that one.

i read this letter that everyone is talking about. its the exact same letter i got today.

THIS IS A SCAM! DONT DO IT! I REPEAT DONT DO IT! U WILL LOSE $164 OR HOWEVER MUCH IT IS!

when i received this letter today, I DIDNT SEE MY $1! that was my first red flag! i would have to buy 200 envelopes (a box at walmart of 175 is like $1.49 or so), 200 stamps (and .39¢ each thats $78 bucks for the stamps alone), then i would have to go to datalineone.com and purchase a list of 200 people for $40! WHAT?!!!!!! R U KIDDING?! that would be $121 i would be out that i would never see again!

so pretty much if ur looking up mail order business scams and u've found this site and this post, u might be curious if this actually works, but look at what your looking up! ur gut instinct is telling u to make sure! now that you've heard a lot of peoples point of views on this scam you will have to figure out if you are going to take that chance of losing that $100 some-odd dollars to someone that wants your hard earned money for FREE!

DONT WASTE YOUR TIME DOING ALL THIS CRAP! GET A REAL JOB THAT PAYS BY THE WEEK, BIWEEKLY, MONTHLY, QUARTERLY, YEARLY WHATHAVEYOU!

go back to school and be employeed for yourself that a business would actually work. my opinion is i hate the job im at now! what do i do about it?! look for something "REAL" and better. the medical field is huge! there is never an on/off season. people are always going to the doctor for whatever reason. doctors are overwhelmed with medical records and billing claims. they cant do everything on they're own. so... they hire people with that are "CERTIFIED IN DOING MEDICAL BILLING AND CLAIMS!" i am doing a home study course to get that diploma/certificate. i am about half way through and i am loving every step of it! that tuition is about $800! $800 that is going in the right direction.

i hope my opinions and points of view have helped someone... anyone that this junk you get in the mail is bull and fake and there are really cruel people in this world.

PROTECT YOURSELF FROM THEM! DONT LET THEM STEAL FROM YOU!

take care and god bless everyone!
xxgadixiegirlxx

Old 03-28-2007, 01:14 PM
Newbie Member

scam scam scam - avoid.

Any probs, message me x

Old 03-29-2007, 04:47 PM
I am new at Scam.com

this scam asks you to send out 200 letters, if each person sent out their 200 letters without overlap you would use the entire population of the US in only 4 steps. not very sustainable.

Old 04-10-2007, 01:20 AM
I am new at Scam.com

I recieved this letter as well and I am currently do it. To me it makes sense if everyone would do what they are suppose to do. I am not sure about the legal aspect of it, but I see no harm in it. There are a lot of people who want to make a large amount of money with little efford, to me this is how you can do it. If everyone did what the letter said, then the money would come in. It is basically everyone passing around one dollar bills. With that being said, if a large portion of the people did it, it should pay you back.
I have tried several internet money making schemes and lost money, a whole lot more than what this requires, so I felt that it was at least worth a try. This is just my personal opinion and I am not saying do it, I am just relaying my thoughts.

Thanks,

Old 04-12-2007, 11:35 PM
I am new at Scam.com

I am also trying this. I thought it was worth a try. I didn't really understand how one person could benifit (how this could be a scam) without following the rules. The letter is not asking for thousands of dollars! Big deal, you might help someone out a little bit. I know there are ALOT of scams out there, but this one could work if the rules are followed. What is wrong with buying a mailing list from a company? It can be any direct mail comany. I know people in legit businesses who buy mailing lists all the time. I think this could be a way of people helping people. I hope I don't get attacked for giving my opinion on this and it's always wise to be cautious, but this one could work if the rules are followed. It does not break the law if you ask to be added to a mailing list. And believe me we are all on plenty of those.

Old 04-13-2007, 01:45 AM
I am new at Scam.com

I have no idea what the previous reply means. Care to explain? If you are trying to put me or anyone else down, I thought there were rules to this website which is why I registered. Please use words to explain yourself.
Thank you

Old 05-24-2007, 04:55 AM
I am new at Scam.com

I just recieved this letter in the mail today. I guess I will not forward it, but just stick to GPT sites for extra income.

Last edited by katiescorner : 06-19-2008 at 07:56 AM.