report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER
Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Charity Scams
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2006, 03:57 AM
Newbie Member

Do your homework before donating

Which charity is the real thing and which one is fake?
http://www.aspca.org
or

http://www.spca.com/

Old 12-18-2006, 07:51 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Re: Do your homework before donating

The ASPCA is a legit organization.
http://www.give.org/reports/report.a...3&ReportType=1

The SPCA is not even listed with bbb.org.

Last edited by Lena : 12-18-2006 at 07:55 PM.

Old 12-18-2006, 09:34 PM
Newbie Member

My first warning sign was that it was a .com, rather than .org

It makes me wonder how many people out there don't pay attention, and think they are giving money to a real charity.

Last edited by Administrator : 04-15-2012 at 03:24 PM.

Old 12-25-2006, 08:33 PM

This is another sad case of thougthless accusation. The SPCA web-site referenced above does not directly solicit contributions. They instead direct you to contribute to you local society for the prevention of cruelty to animals. They are, in other words, telling you to go down and give to your local animal shelter. There is nothing fraudulent about that.

Old 03-10-2007, 08:10 AM
Newbie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttupper
This is another sad case of thougthless accusation.
Uh no, the accusation is right on. There is a SPCA, but there is no SPCA International. I looked it up. Their tax ID listed on their website does not match any type of SPCA organization ( check Guide Star ). And the website does have a direct link to donate to them. The website also has advertisement links on it.
Like I said, do your homework.

Old 12-20-2007, 02:15 PM
Newbie Member

It's a common choice of individuals or organizations who participate or are the owners of fake charities to use an abbreviation very close to a legit and widely known organization. As you can clearly see aspca.org differs from spca.com only by one character ("a"), but you also see that the top level domain of spca is a .com. An organization should always have a .org domain, thats why this domain name was invented in the first place. A .org domain stands for a non-profitable organization.

Old 12-21-2007, 09:19 PM

You guys are incorrect. I understand your desire to avoid scams, but it isn't reasonable or fair to paint legitimat charities with the same brush; you need to be sure of what you say.

Please check out the following:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Society...lty_to_Animals

Note that SPCA international is listed as one of the many branches of the society for prvention of cruelty to animals.

Now check this out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Society..._International

Note that SPCA international was founded in Canada. That would explain why it is not in Guidestar; Guidestar only has US charities that are required by law to register with the IRS. That means GuideStar only has a fraction of legitimate US charities, much less international ones.

Now do yourself a web search for "Canadian society for prevention of cruelty to animals" and see what shows up at the top of the list - yep; SPCA.COM

Now go to the Canadian government's list of registered charities and look it up. Yep, you guessed it: it is registered and legitimate.

See what you guys don't understand is its just plain wrong to sit around in your barko-loungers taking potshots at charities without knowing what you are talking about. Your statements are, actually, quite libelous, and it bugs the heck out of me that someone out there searching the web is going to come across your statments and conclude that the SPCA is fake. It is VERY hard to run a charity. There is a LOT of regulation, there are MANY hurdles, and most of the people doing it are doing it because they want to make a difference. Yes, there are bad people out there that scam the public. But the factors you guys list as "red flags" are just silly.

Point your web browser at www.worldvision.com, www.savethechildren.com, www.salvationarmy.com and www.aspca.com, for instance. See what happens? YEP: those charities bought and own the .com addresses; a charity having a .com address means nothing.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to be crass - but the stuff you mention here means nothing and you smear good organizations by making such statements.

Old 12-21-2007, 10:10 PM

YET MORE INFORMATION for you if you doubt:

The charity includes the IRS advance ruling on their website: they have a US tax ID. Check it out at the bottom of this page: http://www.spca.com/pages/about

NOW go to te IRS here. Search for organizations that "start with" "SPCA" - what do you know - "SPCA international, inc." will show up as the second item in the list, which means that SPCA internaional IS listed with the IRS and IS recognized by them as exempt, once again dispelling the statements here that it is fake.

Maybe you guys would like to write SPCA directly and invite them to come here and converse with you about your alegations? I would challenge you to contact them and let them know you are challenging their authenticity and direct them to your comments here. That is, of course, if you have confidence that you are correct.

Old 12-21-2007, 10:17 PM

AND again - yet more information: do your homework INDEED:

"SPCA International, Inc." IS LISTED WITH GUIDESTAR.

Go check it out yourself: http://www.guidestar.org/index.jsp

Type in "SPCA International, Inc." and click search.... then see what happens.

So, who wants to stand up and admit to libeling them?

Old 08-11-2008, 04:01 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Note that SPCA international was founded in Canada. That would explain why it is not in Guidestar; Guidestar only has US charities that are required by law to register with the IRS. That means GuideStar only has a fraction of legitimate US charities, much less international ones.

Now do yourself a web search for "Canadian society for prevention of cruelty to animals" and see what shows up at the top of the list - yep; SPCA.COM

Now go to the Canadian government's list of registered charities and look it up. Yep, you guessed it: it is registered and legitimate.

See what you guys don't understand is its just plain wrong to sit around in your barko-loungers taking potshots at charities without knowing what you are talking about. Your statements are, actually, quite libelous, and it bugs the heck out of me that someone out there searching the web is going to come across your statments and conclude that the SPCA is fake. It is VERY hard to run a charity. There is a LOT of regulation, there are MANY hurdles, and most of the people doing it are doing it because they want to make a difference. Yes, there are bad people out there that scam the public. But the factors you guys list as "red flags" are just silly.

Point your web browser at www.worldvision.com, www.savethechildren.com, www.salvationarmy.com and www.aspca.com, for instance. See what happens? YEP: those charities bought and own the .com addresses; a charity having a .com address means nothing.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to be crass - but the stuff you mention here means nothing and you smear good organizations by making such statements.[/quote]

HI, I have been following this from Montreal.

point number 1

SPCA INTERNATIONAL is purely a US Based Charity.
The CSPCA (CANADIAN SOCIETY FOR THE PREVENTION OF CRUELTY TO ANIMALS ) is a canadian registered charity.
www.spca.com used to lead to the CSPCA and now leads to SPCA INTERNATIONAL

point number 2
the URL www.spca.com when googled refers to the Montreal spca in the google description. This is because the www.SPCA.COM was registered in 1996 and used by the Montreal SPCA. It now points to SPCA INTERNATIONAL.
The reason for this is possibly the result of unauthorised actions on the part of the Montreal SPCA's executive Director, Mr. Pierre Barnoti.

Point Number 3
when www.spca.com pointed to the Montreal Spca (the Actual name is CANADIAN SPCA since it was the 1rst spca opened in Canada ) the site was used along with mailings to sollicite across canada donations for the Canadian SPCA without bothering to inform people the donations would go ONLY to Montreal. Many people across canada who used this fundraiser method have complained that they were missled into thinking they were donating to their local SPCAs

Point Number 4,
PIERRE BARNOTI
is the President of SPCA INTERNATIONAL INC incorporated in 2006. He was at the time executive director of the Montreal spca who was the owner of the website spca.com
HOWARD SCHOLSBERG is the V.P and treasurer. of SPCA INTERNATIONAL and was a member of the Board of the MONTREAL SPCA till recently when he resigned in the midst on controversy about the operations of the Montreal spca.
MICHEL POULOS is the secretary of SPCA INTERNATIONAL and was a member of the Board of the MONTREAL SPCA till recently when he resigned in the midst on controversy about the operations of the Montreal spca.

PIERRE BARNOTI has been fired as of late july 2008 from The Montreal SPCA. IT HAS BEEN DISCOVERED THAT THE Montreal SPCA has a 4,000,000$ deficit instead of the approximatly 2,000,000 alluded to in media reports. The Montreal Spca also Owned its building outright and it is now mortgaged to the hilt.

Now I am not going to tell anyone else what to do but I will put a few links for you to read about Pierre Bernoti the man behind SPCA INTERNATIONAL and leave you with MY point of view. DO NOT DONATE TO THIS WEBSITE. DONATE THRU YOUR LOCAL SPCAs.

this search gives a couple of pages on Barnoti
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c...arnoti&spell=1

This is a News story on Barnoti and spca.
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew..._name=&no_ads=

the name is sometimes misspelled as Barnotti. if you google Pierre Barnotti you will find more results.

many of the pages may be in french since Montreal is predominantly french bilingual city, and BOTH language groups have united their efforts to oust Barnotti

Jacques from Montreal
jacqueso@aol.com

Old 08-13-2008, 12:12 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screenial View Post
Which charity is the real thing and which one is fake?
http://www.aspca.org
or

http://www.spca.com/
Hi, I spent about 20 minutes writing a response about SPCA INTERNATIONAL, but for some reason, it did not post.

www.SPCA.COM which is the link that used to point to the Montreal SPCA in Quebec Canada and now points to SPCA INTERNATIONAL.

SPCA INTERNATIONAL is a US BASED CHARITY, who's President is the now former executive director of the Montreal SPCA, and the VP and treasurer are former board members of the Montreal SPCA.

these 3 have either been fired or resigned amidst controversity and putting the Montreal SPCA in the hole to the tune of 4 millon dollars.

When I have the time I will repost more information.

In the meantime if you want you can goggle the name PIERRE BARNOTI, and look at the history of his tenure at the Montreal SPCA.

My suggestion is DO NOT DONATE ANY MONEY TO THE SPCA INTERNATIONAL WEBSITE , it will be as good as lost or misspent. DONATE THRU YOUR LOCAL SPCA.

you may reach me at jacqueso@aol.com if you wish more information.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:29 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Regardless of whether they are registered with the IRS or not, SPCA International is spending way more money on getting me to contribute again than I ever donated in the first place.

I gave them $50 a year ago. Since then, I've received a calculator, an address book, a fleece blanket and so on, all asking for me to contribute again. I thought my fifty might actually go towards feeding some homeless animals, but apparently it went straight to the marketing department.

I don't care what all of you defenders say, this strikes me as a charitable scam, pure and simple. If not, then they need to spend contributions on the cause for which they were intended. Otherwise, me thinks they are all about collecting cash for their coffers pure and simple.

Old 03-24-2010, 07:14 AM
ClydeH

Seems that the only interest in this discussion is SPCA, which is a real non-profit. I've worked there before. But why such interest in stray animals when there are plenty of charities trying to help human beings that desperately need donations. In the county where I live there are more homeless people than animals. And there are plenty of scams by would-be charities to help the homeless.

Old 03-30-2010, 01:01 PM
I am new at Scam.com

People are really desperate to earn money that they would do anything to scam people. It's just terrible that they would charity for their own good.

Old 02-25-2011, 09:51 AM
I am new at Scam.com

About 6 months ago I thought I was donating to an organization that helps soldiers bring home their pets. Afterwards they sent me written material that was unclear as to where my donation went. I asked them why they were not on charity navigator or the better business bureau. They said that they would be shortly. Today I received a large calculator...donate locally!!!!!!

Old 07-06-2011, 07:45 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Hello Animal Lovers,

As SPCA International's Director of Communications, I assure you SPCA International is a legitimate non-profit working hard to help animals in the U.S. and around the world every day!

You can learn all about SPCA International's work by visiting the program section of our website at http://www.spcai.org/programs.html.

You can also read about how we got started on the "Our History" page: http://www.spcai.org/about-us/our-history.html

I also encourage you to do a Google News search for "SPCA International" and read about our work as reported by news organizations around the world.

If you are on our snail mailing list and would like to be removed, please email us at answers@spcai.org with that request. Getting removed is as simple as that! We will happily send you only emails. We have many supporters who enjoy receiving mail in their post office mail box, but we know everyone doesn't fit into that category and we are happy to send you communication in whatever way you prefer to receive it.

We are listed on Guidestar.org as another poster has indicated. You can also find us listed as an official, registered non-profit at IRS.gov (http://www.irs.gov/charities/article...=96136,00.html). If you search for "SPCA International" mark the "All the Words" radio button we'll come right up.

If you have any questions at anytime, you are always welcome to contact us at answers@spcai.org or through our web site's “Contact Us” page.

Thank you for supporting the animals and SPCA International!

Stephanie Scott
Director of Communications
SPCA International

Old 03-26-2012, 12:10 PM
Silver Member

As a rule I do not donate to charities. If I can not personaly see what they do and what I am donating for, I do not donate. It's far too easy to get scammed.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:41 AM
Stick to thread topics please & don't scam.