report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER
Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Business Scams
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-24-2006, 11:03 PM
Newbie Member

Unauthorized Phone Bill Charges - USBI

Hello.

I recently received my phone statement for AT&T, the company where my DSL internet connection and phone bill are both joined together and there were charges on my account from a company named USBI... they can also be found @ Billview.com.

I called them up and asked them what these charges were and why was it charged in the first place without my consent and they gave me some sort of reason that my sister had purchased some online phone card for a certain amount?! There were NO authorization from her and she had no knowledge of ever signing up or purchasing anything like this online.

I don't know if this happened to anyone but what can I do to prevent unauthorized billing through my phone bill?

I talked to AT&T about this and all they told me was to call the USBI 888 number provided on the billing statement, which I did. AT&T doesn't want anything to do with it at all and told me to call the company that made the charges.

I was pretty much passed around from different customer service representative when I called USBI... I am now frustrated.

I searched google and found this article: Telecommunications Consumer Complaints

I also found a link online with people complaining about the same thing that happened to them... you can read those here: Complaints

Is this a new way for scammers to make money off consumers?! I have been getting a LUDICROUS amount of charges on my phone bill and I have no idea how stop it.

It seems they are charging my phone account via the internet.

I'm not sure where else to post this... but can someone help me out? I would greatly appreciate it.

-CG

Last edited by mizz_cg : 10-24-2006 at 11:30 PM.

Old 12-11-2006, 05:28 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Re: Unauthorized Phone Bill Charges - USBI

I have the same charge on my bill what ever came of that?

Old 12-12-2006, 07:26 AM
Silver Member

Go to the media. Fox, Channel 5: shame on You. They will investigate.

Old 08-16-2007, 11:25 PM
Newbie Member

Someone could have hijacked your phone modem, that can happen when your downloading.i dont know how it works but then these "people" have access to your phone modem."they say to disconnect your phone modem and call your phone company".

Old 01-08-2008, 12:24 AM
I am new at Scam.com

USBI stands for United States Billing Incorporated. They are just a billing company. They are not the ones that are charging you for anything. All they do is bill for other companies. Look on the phone bill and it should tell you who is using USBI to charge you. It should say "billing on behalf of" ...then give the company name. Or say "this service is provided on behalf of"... then give the company name. The company it states is who you need to call to set matters straight.

Old 01-31-2009, 08:05 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Just wanted to add my '2 cents.'
Got my January 2009 bill from Verizon. Tacked onto it was a charge from Vartec Telecom Inc. (through USBI) for 2 faxes I sent (NYC to KY). Toll calls (4 minutes) = .90 cents. + USF Carrier Admin Fee = $1.97; Universal Service Fnd = .53 cents; and Minimum Usage Fee = $4.63. NY Gross receipts tax surcharge = .23 cents; State Tax = .60 cents. Add those up for a charge of $8.86 for a fax that took four minutes. Not a fair charge I would say. Cancelled service!!

Old 04-01-2009, 10:58 PM
I am new at Scam.com

i have the same problem as well. i just opened my verizon bill and found that i was being charged for long distance, which i shouldnt be according to my plan. i was charged OVER $200 thru this USBI company.i have never authorized this change in my account. i dont understand what right they have to charge me with out my consent. i never recieved any mail or anything from erizon or USBI to conferm this change or anything. all i can say is "time warner,here i come!"

Old 04-03-2009, 08:22 PM
I am new at Scam.com

I was scamed. Someone called me from Harris county jail saying that a male was injured an listed me as their emergency cantact. To dial *72...... to connect with them. When I did it directed all my phone calls to a voicemail. The men in jail were making long distance phone calls and had them billed to my account. I dialed *73 To fix the problem. Filed a police report and had the calls taken off my bill. The police said that it has happened to 30 diffrent people just in my county. BEWARE

Old 05-13-2009, 01:29 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Just got off the phone with Windstream. They are awesome.

Had some company listed as LD Consolidated hijack my long distance service and bill through USBI. When I called USBI they gave me a bogus name and said the change was authorized by that person. I told them there was nobody by that name associated with our phone service and demanded that the charges be credited back. Hung up with them and called Windstream (our actual LD provider) who went ahead and removed the charges from the line then filed a report with their fraud department. Can't wait to talk with the fraud guys, I hope they can stick it to them.

Watch your bill!!

w

Old 05-18-2009, 01:09 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Got my bill from Verizon and noticed long distance charge from USBI for Vartec. The bill was for a long distance charge going back to Dec. 2008.
I phoned USBI and they said they are just passing the charge from Vartec and for me to contact Vartec.
After several phone calls and two letters, Vartec said they would reverse. Don't know if that will happen, but I am hoping.
Verizon said there was nothing they could do about it. I do believe Verizon (and USBI) should have investigation departments that handle these long distance charges that are not valid and 'sanction' those offending telephone (long distance) companies.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:49 AM
I am new at Scam.com

I was also scammed by USBI thru my Windstream account. At first Windstream said they could not help me, that I had to call them & they gave me their 800 number. Somehow they got if off the internet thru surveys & I know for a fact I did not sign up when I have a bundle package...The lady I spoke with @ USBI was cocky and said well you signed up and I told her off and she agreed to credit my account just for one month and I wanted all charges gone. I'm unemployed, so I told her she was a scammer and I would contact BBB & she said go ahead...anyway, I called Windstream back and talked with Fraud and they adjusted my bill and said they would collect charges from them personally, just beware of this company because theyhave scammed a lot of people...I hope they get shut down!

Old 09-22-2009, 07:39 AM
I am new at Scam.com

These charges are called 3rd party billing. To stop them from happening, all you have to do is call the service provider (AT&T, Verizon, etc) and let them know that you want them to block 3rd party billing. If you have multiple lines, you will need to request that be done on all lines. Simple as that! It's a complete scam, but it's easy to stop if you know what to tell them.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:12 AM
I am new at Scam.com

USBI is nothing more than a scam for other businesses. They call you, lie to you and then get you to authorize the changes via the company they're helping. Stay away from USBI.. They're a rip off. Your local phone service says they can't do anything... you don't get USBI when you phone the 800 number.. you get the company USBI has used to collect your money. USBI lies cheats and steals.

Old 01-13-2011, 07:14 AM
I am new at Scam.com

I was surprised to hear of Verizon accepting such services to their accounts. Shame on Verizon!

Old 01-13-2011, 07:22 AM
I am new at Scam.com

USBIs' website.
http://www.bsgclearing.com/question_...our_bill/usbi/

Old 02-25-2011, 01:12 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Do not, I say DO NOT ever sign up with USBI. They are completely missleading and your phones bills will sky rocket. My phone bills tripled! They got me to sign up under false pretenses. They would not work with you! Their managers are ignorant, unprofessional bullies who do not know the first thing about customer service. They are not honorable in any way, form or fashion. They said they would credit my account and lied about that too! Because of them I will NEVER EVER EVER try another phone company in my life. I have never been treated so horrendously by any company in my life. You know I tried Vonage, and they might not have had the best service but they tried on their customer service side of it.

THEY are the worst company I ever dealt with in my life. They should be ashamed of themselves.

By the way, I have never posted anything negative about any company in my life. I let it go and surrendered when I got the last bill, it started all over again. I called them, they didn't know anything about the credit or the problems or anything. They did have a cancel date. But I still ended up getting screwed.

Old 02-25-2011, 01:18 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Hi Midieval,
You are right about USBI! They are the billing company for CENTRAL TELECOM LD.. I will makes adjustments. But USBI needs to know who they are dealing with and who they are doing business with as well. Thanks!
Tari

Old 03-29-2011, 12:56 PM
I am new at Scam.com

go to
http://www.bsgclearing.com/question_...our_bill/usbi/
I filled out the form. THEY SAID THEY DIDN'T HAVE THAT PHONE #.
I scanned the Verizon bill and they suddenly said they would block the number ~
mind you it was a phone at a court house!!!