report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER
Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > MLM Scams
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2005, 09:32 AM
Silver Member

Re: Market America a scam?

(And I'm sorry I don't proof read or spell check.)

Old 06-22-2005, 12:09 PM
No, I'm not 47 years old... lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNow
If you ask me a legitimate question you will get a legitimate ansewer. If I'm asked an absured question..well....I think you get the idea. I'm sorry if I'm driving you nuts but honestly.....what are you people getting at?? If you ask me a question I will do my best to ansewer it. Until you give me proof for your oponions, your thoughts are just that....opinions. Opinoins without facts or proof are just random thoughts. Once again I appoligise if I offended anyone or "drove anyone nuts" ..................Jeeze, sensative croud.
Your attitude on here has been horrible since your first post. Nobody even had to ask you a question to get an absurd answer from you. There are ways to share your opinion without acting arrogant.

.... and if you wanted us to respect you as a business man you would make it a point to proofread and spell check.

Anyway I'm not going to argue with you (anymore)... I just wanted to share my opinion. Have a good day.

Old 06-23-2005, 06:11 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Just to let everybody know up front I am currently in MA. I have been a rep. since last September. I have taken numerous products and so have my family/friends. My Parents and my husband’s entire side of the family have always been into natural supplementations and vitamins. As a matter of fact, it was my husband’s Aunt that signed me.

My husband has studied business opportunities since I’ve known him. He has bookcases full of books and every one of them are related to business. He majored in both business and finance. It’s not often that he gets angry but when I told him I had signed up in MA he was pissed! It took him a few minutes to simmer down but eventually he told me it was my choice and that he would support me fully.

Now I wish he had told me to quit or he’d divorce me. I have invested so much time, money and effort into this MLM (yes, I said it, it’s the same damn thing just called by a different name. a fun quote I read sums up this verbage debate; "I think I'll call the tires of my Mitsubishi "landing gear" and the body a "fuselage" and the cab a "cockpit" and the horizontal fin on my trunk a "wing" and then I can rightfully claim to be an airline pilot. Can't I?) I have taken the products; my husband being the supportive, loving husband he is took the products. I GAVE several $65.00 bottles of product away to other family members and friends just so they could “see how great it was” and nobody reported any changes (good or bad).

Now, anyone who has sat through a MA seminar knows they talk this stuff up like it’s got rainbows and unicorn horn in it. It’s gonna make you feel better, live longer and fight off cancer. Hell, I was even told that one of the products will set you free of that nasty, nauseating, morning hang over. Trust me, it was tested by one of my favorite drunks and not just once! It got the big F; as in it Failed.

Now, my biggest beef, I can’t get out! I have tried and tried to get a hold of my up-line and of course nobody will return the phone call that says; “I want out and need to know how to accomplish that.” The Aunt who brought me in hasn’t a clue how to get out either, we've even searched the MA website. I've tried everything I can think of. As a matter of fact, out of desperation, I was doing a google search trying to find any info on how to get out, when I ran across this forum.

So I am in 100% total agreement that MA is a scam. I think it’s a joke (and not a very humorous one at that). On the flip side, if some how it allowed you to retire at 23 then Yippie Skippie for you (out of curiosity how long was your wife pushin’ this stuff before you retired)?

If anybody has any information on how to get out of this death trap, I’d truly appreciate it.

For a realistic outlook on MA and other MLM’s I suggest this entertaining read:
http://www.marketwaveinc.com/articles/RomanticSemantics.asp

Old 06-23-2005, 06:19 AM
Newbie Member

I honestly don't know how you would go about getting out. I would suggest to simply stop making all payments. That causes you to flush but my guess is that if you want out, you're not making anything anyway. And at the very least, it will get the attention of everybody else so maybe they'll contact you and ask what's up. Good luck! I'm sorry it was a bad experience for you.

Old 06-23-2005, 06:34 AM
Bronze Member

Re: Market America?

Samuel,
I DO not always like what the FDA does and The fact that many dietary supplements will get taken off the Market by the new Legislation is Sad. However there are far to many companies selling supplements with people making all kinds of health claims.

If the supplement Industry could regulate itself, that would be fine but they have proven they cannot.

The president and most members of congress are going to pass the legislation because of this sad fact...

The drug companies financially support the FDA in the form of user fees for drug approval and significantly influence American political leaders that are responsible for FDA policies and funding. From 1998 to 2005, drug and chemical corporations spent $758 million on lobbying politicians. The goal of corporate lobbying is to influence what food and drug products can be marketed and how they are labeled.

In the 2004 elections alone, nearly $1 million was contributed to President Bush, $500,000 to his opponent John Kerry, and over $100,000 was contributed to approximately 18 members of Congress. The drug and chemical industries employ over 1,200 full-time lobbyists, including 40 former members of Congress. The drug and chemical corporate lobbyists are extremely successful at what they do, which puts the FDA at the mercy of the very same chemical industry that they aim to regulate.

The supplement companies no matter how large they may be do not have the Billons the Drug Companies do.

I know The FDA upsets you but the FDA will PAss what Legislation it will, and who do you think congress listens to more-
emails from people who support vitamins or the lobby checks they cash from the Pharmaceutical companies.President Bush cashed a Donation check of a million dollars who do you think has his ear?
JR can give george Bush 5 million and The president will still sign the new Legislation.
The people do not run america corporate America does. I would bet that the companies that will not be targeted will only be companies fully owned by a Pharmaceutical Corporation.

Now lucky for you you can still sell makeup and soap and motor oil additives in Market America
and whatever other products you wish but the supplement side of your business is going to be much less than it is.Difficult to sell vitamin c if the govt LImits it to no more than The RDA.They may even require a prescription for some supplements.
Of course MArket AMerica could sell itself to a Pharmaceutical Company But then all that Money will go Right to The Pharmaceutical Company not JR
and Market America was designed for one purpose to make JR rich.

Old 06-23-2005, 06:40 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Sorry, I had to add one more thought.

I mean no offense to anyone but I have noticed that MA's products DO NOT sell themselves.

If you have not succeeded in MA I commend you.

In my humble opinion it takes a certain type of sales person to sell MA. This type of person has to have little or no conscience, think of nobody but themselves and allow lies and manipulation to spew from their lips on a continual basis. I am the opposite type of person; therefore I will never succeed in MA. (pats self on back)

Again no offense meant to any body just an observation/opinion.

Old 06-23-2005, 06:49 AM
Bronze Member

Experienced its easy to get out of that mlm scam -- just write a letter to MA saying you resign as a distributor.
Done.

You bring up a interesting point I wonder How many families have been torn because a member becomes enlightened by MA and starts trying to peddle their supplements on them.

we have a box in our office that MA distributors have dropped off opc3 trying to convince me and my associates how wonderful it is for our Patients.

even after you say no, they still keep coming back so I can imagine what it does to a family.

they even offer free tickets to their convention-hoping we might be impressed by it somehow.

Old 06-23-2005, 08:00 AM
12DP Thread Hater and Free Gift Getter

Wow... that sounds like a really desperate distributor. I wonder if they do well in MA?

Old 06-23-2005, 08:14 AM
12DP Thread Hater and Free Gift Getter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Experienced
Now, my biggest beef, I can’t get out! I have tried and tried to get a hold of my up-line and of course nobody will return the phone call that says; “I want out and need to know how to accomplish that.” The Aunt who brought me in hasn’t a clue how to get out either, we've even searched the MA website. I've tried everything I can think of. As a matter of fact, out of desperation, I was doing a google search trying to find any info on how to get out, when I ran across this forum.
Hey Experienced... I'm sorry to hear things have not went good for you in MA. I spoke with a friend about it and she suggest you go to their unfranchise website and go to the Contact Us link and then click distributor services. I guess there's a number there you can call. They'll ask you about your upline and give them your uplines info and REPORT them! The reps are supposed to be willing to help you. She also suggested reading the manual. there's a form in there that will allow you to return any unopened product for refund. Be sure to confirm this on the phone when you speak to their distributor services.

It just takes a few bad apples to turn a sweet drink sour... and it sounds like your sponsor was a bad apple. They probably will suck at MA too.

by the way... have you thought about selling websites? My friend does great with the MA Websites and has sold enough to not have to be on transfer buy because of the residual benefits of selling the sites. She does very well in MA which is why, as some people may have noticed, I have a slightly biased opinion of the company. I know enough to know it's not for me right now, the timing isn't right, but who says it won't be the right time in the future.

Good luck to you EXPERIENCED.

Old 06-23-2005, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Experienced
In my humble opinion it takes a certain type of sales person to sell MA. This type of person has to have little or no conscience, think of nobody but themselves and allow lies and manipulation to spew from their lips on a continual basis. I am the opposite type of person; therefore I will never succeed in MA. (pats self on back).

Quote:
"Doesn't it bother you that there is no proof or evidence that it doesn't harm people?" ............Why would this bother me?? Are you serious?? I hope your just kidding! That's just a stupid questoin,.....plain and simple.
Exactly.....

Old 06-23-2005, 04:14 PM
Bronze Member

Interesting article about MA and their Binary compensation plan.

Consumer Awareness Institute

When one examines the compensation plan of Market America, one finds all five red flags of a “recruiting MLM,” or product-based pyramid scheme. When these 5 red flags are all present, available data lead to the conclusion that the loss rate approximates 99.9% - far worse than the average 90% loss rate of clearly illegal 1-2-4-8 no-product pyramid schemes. In other words, of all participants who sign up for such MLM programs, approximately 99.9% can be expected to lose money – especially if purchases from the company to qualify for commissions and advancement in the scheme are subtracted as a business expense! See the statistics in the chart "Which Does the Greater Harm?" Though Market America is not on the chart, we nonetheless find the "5 Red Flags" in its compensation plan which, taken together, has been found to result in such abysmal loss rates.

* A recruiting MLM is an MLM with a compensation system that rewards recruitment more than actual sales of products to persons outside the network of participants. So significant income is unlikely without recruitment of a large downline.

http://www.mlm-thetruth.com/Market_America.htm

Old 06-23-2005, 04:57 PM
Silver Member

So according to that I'm a lucky 1 out of 100 distributers that are in the black?

Old 06-23-2005, 06:11 PM
Newbie Member

I guess that's what its saying. But what I find interesting is that all of the people who ARE making it are the ones who bother to show up at the weekly meetings. Maybe it's saying something about the ones that don't. Not that that's forgiving such a horrible percentage but I do have a hard time believing that that's accurate. Perhaps I'm just biased.

Anyway... did anybody see ER tonight? It was all about the FDA debate. It reminded me of this thread...

Old 06-23-2005, 06:19 PM
Bronze Member

what the FDA does or does not do is of little concern to some mlm company.

Old 06-23-2005, 10:07 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Thank you all so much for the valuable input. The only problem with contacting MA about my resignation as a distribtor; they make it nearly impossible to find an address. I never did find a link on their site for "Contact Us".

Although, family or not, I think that reporting my upline for their entire lack of support with my resignation is a good idea. It certainly doesn't help the image of these "types of outfits" to make such an obstical course out of getting out. In my opinion, they got my money; I'm a part of the 99.9% statistic that they need to support their little scam - they need to let me out now.

The most difficult thing I have found with MA [i]is[i] actually resigning - aside from having to scam people in order to excel. Thanks, eveyone, for your advice, and again, if you were able to make this whole thing work without resorting to unscrupulous tactics my hat's off to you!

P.S. MA will not allow you to delete your credit card info - unless you enter a false card number (which may be illegal?) they require that information or the information change will not be accepted. Also, quantity=0 is not a valid option either.

Old 06-23-2005, 10:10 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Quote:
So according to that I'm a lucky 1 out of 100 distributers that are in the black?
Don't take it personally. If you made it work, and happen to be in the .1 percentile (without compromising your characterr) you've done better than most; congratulations.

You are, though, in the vast minority as far as the popular opinion of MA goes here - so I'm assuming those statistics are fairly accurate.

Also like my husband has said - "Dorney (sp?) economics" is not real economics; there is no such thing as "free beer" (i.e. someone always has to pay the bill). The .1% can enjoy success due to the 99.9% who lose money on a monthly basis.

Edited: Spelling

Last edited by Experienced : 06-23-2005 at 10:20 PM.

Old 06-24-2005, 01:05 AM
Silver Member

It's easy to get out. Send them a fax or registered letter and say the following.
"I, (insert your name and addie here) wish to inform MA that I am resigning my distributorship, effectively immediately. Please cease all charges to my credit cards and cancel all automatic buying.
Thank you,

Sign your name here and date.

That's all you need do. Then call your credit card comapnay and have them stop approving any charges from MA.
Believe me. If you stop giving them money, they will go away. You are not bound to them at all, except by a monthly charge.
They will not call you. They don't really care. Your upline does not need to be advised either. They will find out on their reports from MA.
This is America. You are not bound to MA. Be FREE.
Others may tell you your crazy for leaving. Use MA's own words back to them. Say, "I guess I'm just not right for MA" and see what they say.
If you really want to upset them, tell them you are going to market ISO-OPC (from Saratoga Supplements) or some other OPC product. That's what a lot of MA'ers are doing. They love the OPC product, but don't want to pay $64 plus $7.50 shipping anymore.
MA has no exclusive hold over qality or health care products. The folks at Saratoga Supplements (www.saratoga-supplements.com) belonged to MA at one time and figured out rater quickly how MA was a "cash cow" for the corporate officers at MA. They left and started their own "one-to-one business", only it's a retail-wholesale" situation. NO MLM there.
Anyway, if you wish to be free, do it today!!
TelephoneF

Old 06-24-2005, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniR
I guess that's what its saying. But what I find interesting is that all of the people who ARE making it are the ones who bother to show up at the weekly meetings. Maybe it's saying something about the ones that don't. Not that that's forgiving such a horrible percentage but I do have a hard time believing that that's accurate. Perhaps I'm just biased.

Anyway... did anybody see ER tonight? It was all about the FDA debate. It reminded me of this thread...
I agree that the meetings do make a difference in your success. I'm not in MA but I am in another MLM. Those who go to meetings tend to stick with the company longer than those who don't. Although I do have to say, a lot of the people in companies like this lie about what they're making to impress the prospects. They do it in my MLM too. I've seen it time and time again. Just like mister "I'm retired at 23!!!" He might be making enough right now to SAY he's retired because he doesn't have to hold a 9-5 job... but stop recruiting and selling and see what happens to your income. As another example... my upline... one of the guys in my upline was a top producer... making thousands a month, driving a BMW... someone in his downline hit a certain position and shut him out (the thousands turned to hundreds), he had stopped recruiting because he was used to the steady thousands rolling in without recruiting.. so he didn't feel the need to recruit, and now he had to go get a 9-5 job to make his BMW payment.

I think MLM's are good for side-money, but in no way would I base my sole income off one... simply because in order to succeed you have to depend on other people... and to me that's a little unstable. The only way you can actually literally retire off MLM with a stable income is if your residual is high, and with most people... you can not retire and live off just your residual check unless you're in the top position in the company.