report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER
Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Work at Home Scams
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2006, 11:09 PM
Silver Member

Anyone with any experiance with contractxchange?

I found this site for this company that (appears to) connect people that want to work from home (Customer sevice - inbound call answering type jobs) with companies that want to hire contractors to do the work. So far I've found that the sign up account is free and the jobs come from various companies like pizza hut and audible.com. When you set up your account, you configure your resume and they requie you to pass 3 tests, a typing test, a hardware test and an internet connection speed test. After that you can apply for a job. Jobs are hourly or pay per call handled with wages ranging form $10/hr to $22/hr.

NOW here's the possible "catch" that has me warey. It makes sense tha you need to be trained to do a job for these companies and most require a background check...fine....but as I've searched, the fees for training range from $25-$380 from what I've seen from the the company and then I see that the conractxchange its self seems to require another $375 worth of training. This starts to seem like a scam to me, but it doesn't seem so crazy that you have to pay for your own training if you are going to be working as a contractor from home. Now the negative is that it states there are no refunds on training, so if you don't pass the training, you have to pay for it again if you still want the job. BUT you are only invited to do the training if you have been accepted for the position, so as long as you pass the training you have the job.

This is all I know right now and I"m looking for anyone with opinions or experiences with this website or one similar.

If it is not a scam, I don't mind laying the money out for a $16/hr job that I can do for at least a year (the contracts for most of the companies are for 1 year and then are renewable) Its a one time expense as far as I can tell and I suppose is reasonable, but if someone knows if it is a scam, please let me know to save me the strife.

Any info on this is appreciated!!!

Old 09-19-2006, 11:59 PM
Iconoclast

Re: Anyone with any experiance with contractxchange?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfriedl1
I found this site for this company that (appears to) connect people that want to work from home (Customer sevice - inbound call answering type jobs) with companies that want to hire contractors to do the work. So far I've found that the sign up account is free and the jobs come from various companies like pizza hut and audible.com. When you set up your account, you configure your resume and they requie you to pass 3 tests, a typing test, a hardware test and an internet connection speed test. After that you can apply for a job. Jobs are hourly or pay per call handled with wages ranging form $10/hr to $22/hr.

NOW here's the possible "catch" that has me warey. It makes sense tha you need to be trained to do a job for these companies and most require a background check...fine....but as I've searched, the fees for training range from $25-$380 from what I've seen from the the company and then I see that the conractxchange its self seems to require another $375 worth of training. This starts to seem like a scam to me, but it doesn't seem so crazy that you have to pay for your own training if you are going to be working as a contractor from home. Now the negative is that it states there are no refunds on training, so if you don't pass the training, you have to pay for it again if you still want the job. BUT you are only invited to do the training if you have been accepted for the position, so as long as you pass the training you have the job.

This is all I know right now and I"m looking for anyone with opinions or experiences with this website or one similar.

If it is not a scam, I don't mind laying the money out for a $16/hr job that I can do for at least a year (the contracts for most of the companies are for 1 year and then are renewable) Its a one time expense as far as I can tell and I suppose is reasonable, but if someone knows if it is a scam, please let me know to save me the strife.

I worked for AOL online for 5 years. I never, ever, paid for 'training'. I did plenty of training but it was on AOL's dime.

I have a friend now who works for some company as a customer service rep from her home (not sure which company) and she did not pay for any "training" she did have to show that she knew how to do the job and was required to take skill tests.

It is no different to working in a brick and mortar environment. Companies expect you to bring a skillset to the job but additional training required for their specific environment is their expense.

I could see a logic in offering on-line courses to people who do want to work from home but lack skills in, say, Access or Excel or other applications needed. But I would certainly never sign up for some "non refundable" training.

My advice? Contact such companies directly and ask them where they hire their at home workers. Ask Pizza Hut or Alpine or whomever you are interested in - ask them directly. Don't rely on what sounds to me like an incredibly expensive red herring.

Old 09-20-2006, 06:22 AM
Platinum Member

The training fee seems to be very high. Have you applied to companies like Alpine Access, Working Solutions which charge no fee at all?

Old 09-20-2006, 03:55 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck98
I worked for AOL online for 5 years. I never, ever, paid for 'training'. I did plenty of training but it was on AOL's dime.

I have a friend now who works for some company as a customer service rep from her home (not sure which company) and she did not pay for any "training" she did have to show that she knew how to do the job and was required to take skill tests.

It is no different to working in a brick and mortar environment. Companies expect you to bring a skillset to the job but additional training required for their specific environment is their expense.

I could see a logic in offering on-line courses to people who do want to work from home but lack skills in, say, Access or Excel or other applications needed. But I would certainly never sign up for some "non refundable" training.

My advice? Contact such companies directly and ask them where they hire their at home workers. Ask Pizza Hut or Alpine or whomever you are interested in - ask them directly. Don't rely on what sounds to me like an incredibly expensive red herring.
Thanks for your input. Could you find out the company that your friend works for? I'd be intersted to know that. Also, when you worked for AOL was it from home? Anyways, thanks again for the advice, I'll try contacting the companies directly to see if I can get anywhere that way. I'll keep you updated.

Old 09-20-2006, 04:00 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcwork
The training fee seems to be very high. Have you applied to companies like Alpine Access, Working Solutions which charge no fee at all?
yeah, that's kinda what I think. It seems that even if you don't need any training from the company, it will cost you $375 in required training to start working....seems steap.

What do you know about alpine access and working solutions? Are the the same kind site as contract xchange? Do you work for/with either of them? Any insight is appreciated...

Thanks.

Old 09-20-2006, 05:00 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Something doesn't ring true....

Old 09-20-2006, 05:12 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scambuster
Something doesn't ring true....
What do you mean by this? What doesn't ring true?

Old 10-03-2006, 05:16 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfriedl1

Hi just to let you know that Contract Exchange is not a Scam. It is a new set up that does work after training the guys who desined the idea were worried that the system may look like a scam but rest assured it is not and the clients that you will work for are all top companies

Old 10-03-2006, 05:40 PM
Iconoclast

Quote:
Originally Posted by exsup
Hi just to let you know that Contract Exchange is not a Scam. It is a new set up that does work after training the guys who desined the idea were worried that the system may look like a scam but rest assured it is not and the clients that you will work for are all top companies

well wow, that's reassuring. After all it's not like any scam artists ever come on these boards to say that some total crapola is "real".

You didn't address any of the issues - why is that?

Why the expensive and non-refundable "training" - start with that.

Old 10-03-2006, 05:59 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck98
well wow, that's reassuring. After all it's not like any scam artists ever come on these boards to say that some total crapola is "real".

You didn't address any of the issues - why is that?

Why the expensive and non-refundable "training" - start with that.
The expensive training is what bothers me. The person I "spoke" to on the chat said it was not refundable, but if you passed you were guaranteed the position you applied for since you don't get invited to go to training until your application is excepted. I'm just very leary of spending that kind of money on training for a job that I can't get back...

It would just be nice if you could get your money back for the training if you don't get the job or you don't get paid for your work...but I guess that would negate the point of a scam, if it is one. I'm not saying it is or it isn't a scam...but I just don't like the $400+ training fee...seems suspicious.

Old 05-19-2007, 01:29 AM
I am new at Scam.com

i personally know a few people who are using contractxchange, and it does seem legitimate. The training fees do seem high, however, this is what it would cost a company to train a regular employee. The webstie states that the training fees are paid by the agent so the hiring company doesn't have to incur these costs. These companies are hiring remote agents to save on the costs of running a call center. I guess that contractxchange is like a temp agency for people wanting to work from home.

Old 06-14-2007, 08:04 PM
I am new at Scam.com

My cousin used contractxchange and it is legitimate and she loved it. She now has an outside job, but would definitely do it again. I am in the process of doing it now. Training isn't that high for all positions...right now I have applied for the direct energy courtesy calling team at 14-16 per hr. and it is 150.00 for training. Now you can do your training online...my cousin actually had to go to Richmond Hill to do her training so this is another great improvement. The training company is not affiliated with contractxchange and fees are their own....as far as I know.

Old 06-08-2008, 05:02 AM
cynth

Re: Anyone with any experiance with contractxchan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfriedl1 View Post
What do you mean by this? What doesn't ring true?
Hi just to let everyone know that I too was wary of this comapany as they are recruiting for British Gas at the moment. i have been on the phone all week speaking to managers of british gas to find out if it is cosha. at first i was told that it was not true that British Gas did not have customer service advisers working from home, yet after a few days a top manager rang me to say that it was legitamate, and it was a new service that was being piloted in the uk, after it's success in Canada. I am wary of the initial outlay however i have had two telephone interviews which were intense and i am going to go for it. in for penny in for a pound, you have to be in it to win it!!

Old 08-22-2008, 09:19 AM
I am new at Scam.com

can you let us know what sort of questions they asked , would be useful

Old 11-04-2008, 04:44 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol Fletcher View Post
Hi just to let everyone know that I too was wary of this comapany as they are recruiting for British Gas at the moment. i have been on the phone all week speaking to managers of british gas to find out if it is cosha. at first i was told that it was not true that British Gas did not have customer service advisers working from home, yet after a few days a top manager rang me to say that it was legitamate, and it was a new service that was being piloted in the uk, after it's success in Canada. I am wary of the initial outlay however i have had two telephone interviews which were intense and i am going to go for it. in for penny in for a pound, you have to be in it to win it!!
Hi Carol, How did you get on with ContractXchange & British Gas? Do British Gas reimburse the training fee & how much is it if you don't mind me asking?

Old 11-04-2008, 04:49 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleymegan View Post
i personally know a few people who are using contractxchange, and it does seem legitimate. The training fees do seem high, however, this is what it would cost a company to train a regular employee. The webstie states that the training fees are paid by the agent so the hiring company doesn't have to incur these costs. These companies are hiring remote agents to save on the costs of running a call center. I guess that contractxchange is like a temp agency for people wanting to work from home.
I have worked as a temp for many years & have never yet paid for my own training. I had a job as co-ordinator for a Nursing Agency that was working from home & they trained me in the office. If you're saving a company money by being a remote agent the least they could do is pay for your training? ContractXchange should operate like a regular temping agency & charge the employer even if it's only for the advertising. Who pays the wages, the company or ContractXchange?

Last edited by Tallulah : 11-04-2008 at 04:52 PM. Reason: To add

Old 09-05-2010, 07:44 AM
I am new at Scam.com

I work full time with Contractxchange, Pizza Pizza is the contract, and yes it is legit. I've been in it for 4 months now, and they pay me 45 cents per call, and I work 7 hours a day and average about 700 calls per week. They encourage you to work a minimum 6 hours per week, for this contract, and then you can pick and choose what hours you want thereafter. They do direct deposit, and it's on the 15th and 30th of every month.

When you register, you have to get a business number from Revenue Canada, and it is then an actual certified business so that you claim your HST as well as your deductions for income tax. You have the option of having them withhold earnings, then at the end of the year they deposit it into your account so that you can do your income tax, but they don't withhold CPP contributions so you have to put that aside and make sure you match it at the end of the year.

It works with my schedule, at home with my commitments with my family, and I can change my hours whenever or whatever I want. It took me three years to investigate fully into this, and finally I left my government job to pursue this, I haven't had any regrets.

Anything you pay for, you can declare as expenses in your income tax, so internet bills/VOIP services/headset replacements/training is tax deductible.

I hope this helps.

Old 10-15-2010, 08:56 AM
I am new at Scam.com

I'm also currently looking into this and am glad to see the thread above mine from as recently as 2010. I've completed all the testing requirements although I did have some difficulty getting my computer to pass due to my laptop not recognizing my 'monitor' as a separate unit. It kept registering as a "Generic PnP" monitor which will not pass the test. It needs to actually say the make of your Monitor (ie. HP, Samsung, LG, etc). Message me if you want to know how to check this requirement as I'm very familiar with it now...lol.

So, I ended up having to actually buy a new computer which I was planning to do anyhow so I did not do it just for the purpose of this job but it just speeded up my purchase a bit as I was planning to wait till Boxing Day sales time.

Regarding all the discussions about paying for training, I've also spoken with people at Contractxchange and my understanding of why we need to pay for our own training is because we are in fact considered self-employed. Someone touched on this when they mentioned about getting a business registration and being able to write off expenses. You're also allowed to work for more than one company. For example, you could work 20 hrs a week on a Pizza Pizza contract and 10 hrs a week on a CAA contract and another 10 hrs a week on a Direct ****** contract. This is just an example. Hours and companies might be different depending on what you choose and who you are contracted by. Most companies that are in similar industries will indicate on their job posting whether or not you're allowed to work for the competition. For example, when I was reading the job posting for Direct ******, it said you're not allowed to also work for Reliance. Both are heating & a/c service type companies.

So yes the training fees can be expensive but as a self-employed person, they are deductible when you do your taxes. And anyone that is self-employed has to pay for their own training regardless of whether it's an upgrade to their computer skills or something else they want to learn. Just be sure to keep all of your receipts and record of the courses you've taken.