report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER
Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > MLM Scams
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2012, 09:01 AM

Ambit Energy

Are there any successful Ambit reps trolling this forum? Someone actually making some money with this? Would you please respond to this posting? I am especially interested in those doing well in states other than Texas.

Ambit Energy is now coming to my home state of Massachusetts in the summer. Does this actually work? They say they are pushing nearly one billion in sales and have over 100k reps. I know Ambit must be making a buck at this but are the reps doing well with it?

Its my understanding many reps in Texas did well because the spread between the default electric bill and Ambit's was rather sizable. As a result there was a comfortable margin to play with there.

This is not the case with other states. I understand there is a thinner margin between the default service and Ambit's of these other states. I've read that reps are getting up to 50 cents per customer. At 50 cents per customer its going to take a hell of a lot of customers to make a worth while income at this.

Is there real money to be made in states other than Texas at this or is this just another smoke and mirrors ploy to get your sign up money?

The appeal is universal, save money on your utilities, gas and electric. In these days of hard money the message will attract attention but who wants to put years of effort into building this only to discover you've been had and the big income that comes "with hard work" is bull crap and will never happen. It simply is an outright lie to imply you'll have financial freedom when its only a very limited group at the top who make this kind of living where the many thousands (you and me) down the pyramid end up spinning our wheels for chump change.

Are there more than a handful of top earners (out of the 100k+ reps) doing this full time in states other than Texas?
Or is this like all the other MLMs, smoke and mirrors for the majority?

Whose making the money here...just the company?

Last edited by Vailx : 03-29-2012 at 09:35 AM.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:45 AM

Re: Ambit Energy

I don't fit the criteria you are asking for, but I'd just like to offer this. Take it or leave it.

I have a very good friend who is very successful with Ambit, however she is in Texas and she also has been in other MLMs like Prepaid Legal and Herbalife. Her success with Ambit has actually all but ruined our friendship because she is the classic profile of an MLM'eróthat's all she talks about and does. I have had to unsubscribe from her on Facebook because she is in so deep that she is one of those that only posts crap about Ambit to all of us who are supposed to be her friends, rather than creating a separate Facebook page for her Ambit group. And I know she does that on purpose because she really believes she can covert the whole world over to her "incredible business opportunity".

I do know that she has recruited plenty of other people in Illinois and PA, but then they are also probably just sheep/followers/"friends" and I don't know of any of our mutual friends/colleagues who are anywhere near as successful as she is in any state, or even making any money at all.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:19 AM

Thanks for that feedback. I do know that success in Texas was due? to a special case deregulated energy market in that one unique state. I'm wondering if the Texas level of success is spilling over to other deregulated states?

Sounds like your friend is obsessed. Its important to separate your work life from family and friends. Offer once then let them see your success. If they want in they will inquire when they are ready. No need to keep nagging and making yourself a pest.

Old 03-29-2012, 10:41 AM

I know in my state many business owners would benefit from both lower electric and gas bills. Businesses are hard pressed today to pay their bills to the stronger businesses that supply to them. Any savings, no matter how small would be welcome. Its hard to imagine that saving money here would be a "hard sell proposition".

The utility cost for local small business is higher than for residential. And local small business owners are approachable. I see this as a possibility. Residential is another matter. The savings for them is much smaller, the sales work is the same and they are less available. More effort with residential for lower return.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:46 PM
Silver Member

First off you pay $429 for a crappy kit that comes with some magazines, brochures, and dvds. Second off you have to pay 26.60 a month for your websites.
Third off on the conference calls the leaders constantly tell you to go to their conventions and meetings and spend hundreds of dollars out of your pocket. So you're looking at thousands of dollars in expenses a year for your ambit business.

The commissions for personally signing up customers are horrible. In New York, for example, you get 5-50 cents per customer and most customers fall inside the 5-10 cent range. Natural gas customers only really pay out in the winter because that's when heat is used.

Ambit does give you the opportunity to make $400 back in the first 6 months by signing up 28 customers plus 2 for your websites. The first bonus is usually a little bigger because they run a promotion most of the time.

In Massachusetts small businesses are going to be the largest accounts that ambit takes and you only get 50 cents per month for those which is pathetic.

Ambit is only good for someone who is great at recruiting, because you can only make money by recruiting. You cannot even make your initial investment back by signing up customers unless you earn free energy, which you don't have to sign up to be a consultant to do. I don't know about you but selling $458 business packages is a hard sell especially in this economy.

Another thing: Energy is a hyper competitive industry and it's almost impossible to differentiate yourself from the competition. Commercial energy is a killer, and a large amount of people think it's a scam so you have to be a really good salesman to convince them otherwise.

I would recommend you to do either one of two things:
1) Become a customer. Once you become a customer Ambit gives you 6 months to get 15 customers in order to get your free energy rebate check every month.
2) Become an affiliate, which is an option that ambit energy tries to discourage people from signing up for. For a $99 one time fee you get paid much better residuals for residential and commercial customers. The commercial residuals are decent for the industry. So you could sign up as a customer under your affiliate and get paid residual on you account. Then you could get 15 customers and get paid on their accounts plus earning free energy. I guarantee that if you do that you will make more net profit than 99% of ambit energy consultants. The downside is that you can't recruit.

Whatever you choose, don't let some friend push you sign up as a consultant, unless you have a massive network of people to make it work. If you don't have a massive network like Ray Montie or Brian Mcclure, stick to just becoming an affiliate or a customer.

Message me if you want to talk to me on the phone.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:57 PM

I've looked at commercial energy sales and talked with a local company that got into it then backed out for the reason you stated. It's basically commodity sales and lowest price wins. The company president told me that many times he could not even compete with the energy providers default (standard offer) service. He said there were numerous times where this happened.

If the margin between the standard offer and Ambit's price is razor thin. Its hard to imagine making a dime at this for the time, effort and expense involved.

It is simply amazing at how many people spin their wheels at these things.

Last edited by Vailx : 03-29-2012 at 09:00 PM.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:57 AM

Recruiting really really sucks. If as you say, Ambit has a reasonable affiliate program then my approach would be:
  • Build a base thats giving a monthly check of $300 to $400.
  • Once you have a solild base THEN
  • You can switch to a recruiting rep and sign other reps
This way you have a book of business in hand that demonstrates it can be done. Recruiting will be easier because you actually have a retail base.

This is all predicated on the fact you can build a retail base that generates earnings in the 300 to 400 dollar range. If this requires you to put in ten hours a week for three years to build then I believe its not worth it. Lets say you get one buck per business you sign up (to make the calculation easy) then you would need to sign up 300 businesses to get a monthly check of $300.

If you can sign up one a week for a year then you would be making $52 in monthly earnings. To make $365 dollars a month then you would have to sign up one business each and every day. I do not see that happening unless you pound this full time and even then.

Are these projections in the ballpark?