report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER
Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Internet Scams
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2006, 05:35 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Animal Behavior College?

www.animalbehaviorcollege.com

I want to be a dog trainer and I just wanted to know if this is a scam or not:confused:. I heard good things and bad things. Good seems to outweigh the bad, but I would like opinions, especially if anyone has experience with them. Not trying to criticize ;), just would like to make a smart decision as I'm considering about entering their program. All honest opinions appreciated. Is ABC worth it?

Last edited by lory3453 : 08-10-2006 at 05:39 AM.

Old 08-10-2006, 06:48 AM
Junior Senior

Re: Animal Behavior College?

I have no idea. the pictures look like the could have been taken in my back yard. the site looks like it has a lot of info. If its real you should be able to talk with people and see if you like it (much like normal colleges).
good luck!

completed--
br $1000 (waiting)

If you found my advice useful, why not make a donation? PM me for my email address for paypal. Anything helps get me through college!

Old 08-10-2006, 07:13 AM
I am new at Scam.com

I talked to an Admissions Counselor today. It sounds good, but who knows, they could be lying to me. It kind of sounded like it was TOO good, really. They said the average salary was a lot higher compared to what I've heard from other dog trainers. Just not sure if this "certificate" they give you is worth the $3000 you give them. They also said 85% of their students get employed right after graduating. They give you books and studies to do from your own home, then they hook you up with one of their approved mentors to teach 1-on-1 and have you volunteer at a local animal shelter. What she told me sounds good, but it's her job to recruit people, if you know what I mean. So I don't think I can depend entirely on HER opinions and suggestions. That's why I want to hear from other people.

Not really sure what to do.

Oh, and she said they're on www.bbb.com (Better Business Bureau) and www.bppve.ca.gov (Institutional Approval). Not sure what that means.

Last edited by lory3453 : 08-10-2006 at 07:24 AM.

Old 07-18-2007, 05:47 AM
I am new at Scam.com

I'm not sure if they are a scam or not. I know they are an approved vocational school, so you can get SallyMae funding. I spoke to an enrollment counselor and she did tell me that they had a refund policy, but I'm not sure what the restrictions are around that.

Also, I am currently taking my puppy to puppy training and there are two abc students who are co-teaching the class and another who has brought his dog in for training. What's interesting about the last guy is he's a cop and getting certification to help him get into the K-9 unit.

Hope that helps.

Old 07-18-2007, 06:23 PM
419 Fun

I'm sure there are a few other Dog schools in your area. I would get out the phone book and call some others. I took my dog a few years ago, and found a place that had a free intro course. That way you can see things for yourself and not waste any money.

Good luck!
Jax

Old 07-18-2007, 06:28 PM
Banned

woof woof, thats all i have to say

Old 01-11-2011, 09:48 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by lory3453 View Post
www.animalbehaviorcollege.com

I want to be a dog trainer and I just wanted to know if this is a scam or not:confused:. I heard good things and bad things. Good seems to outweigh the bad, but I would like opinions, especially if anyone has experience with them. Not trying to criticize ;), just would like to make a smart decision as I'm considering about entering their program. All honest opinions appreciated. Is ABC worth it?
I am a Dog Trainer. I have trained dogs since the age of ten (family bred and PRE trained German Shepherds and Danes). I also hold Masters degrees in Psychology (Human) with a behavioral emphasis AND Applied Animal Behavior with Canine focus. Paying a fee to a website, and accepting their, methods, opinions, and supposed understanding of dogs is a waste of your money. Many schools and other "oraganizations" have cropped up on the internet many requiring "membership fees" to maintain your "status as "approved". That's a big RED Flag!!! Real Professional Trainers who are qualified have REAL Credentials from real schools, don't pick and choose what breeds, behaviors, etc they will train. They can tell you what the dog thinks, how it learns and what instinctual expectation your dog has of you (not, by the way, "he really loves you and only wants to please you and he LIVES for treats!!")
Talk to ALOT of trainers. Ask them what you can expect as a result of their training. If they don't have any standards (i.e. "by the end of training the dog will 'walk politely on the leash.", as opposed to your dog will walk calmly next to you in a proper heel position, automatically sit when you stop, be 100% attentive to you and calm, on or off leash in any situation or environment; you're not getting a Trained Dog. Good trainers won't toss your larger breed dog out of class for lunging at the smaller breed ankle nipper who tries to bite him. Watch the trainer, owner and dog in the very first session. If the dog is not walking calmly next to the owner on a completely slack leash (I use a 15' leash and the owner is not allowed to touch anything but the handle) the dog doesn't have a leader for an owner, and the trainer doesn't know how to get the owner there. Willing to address any questions.......

Old 01-12-2011, 08:45 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Another "Be a Dog Trainer" scam of interest is Dimensions Dog Training. Just when I thought "Bark Busters" franchise scam was starting to peter out, here's another "Send us thousands of dollars and we'll give you a franchise and you can make thousands training ANY dog in someone's home in 1 1/2 hours! Yup, they can "train" you and your dog in an hour and a half.
Anybody got more on these guys?

Old 01-12-2011, 09:07 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanofdogz View Post
Another "Be a Dog Trainer" scam of interest is Dimensions Dog Training. Just when I thought "Bark Busters" franchise scam was starting to peter out, here's another "Send us thousands of dollars and we'll give you a franchise and you can make thousands training ANY dog in someone's home in 1 1/2 hours! Yup, they can "train" you and your dog in an hour and a half.
Anybody got more on these guys?
Maybe you should start a new thread. This one is 4 years old and the OP probably already went through with it.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:43 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Just FYI I'm an employee of Animal Behavior College and it is in fact a SCAM. First off look at the email address we respond to you from. Dog isn't spelled dawg. Our emails will come from email addresses like Ron@dawgbiz.net which is actually a person you can contact.

We dont really place you in externships we just say that to make you attend our school. We sell bogus CDs called training tools for 195.00 what a rip.

Be careful because the certifications are not recognized everywhere either. Thats all for now

Old 03-21-2011, 07:53 AM
I am new at Scam.com

As an employee of ABC for over 9 years, I can state with absolute certainty that the statements made in this post are false. I am not only a Program Manager for our Dog Obedience Instructor Course; I am also an ABC Certified Dog Trainer and a Mentor Trainer. I know for a fact that every single student who has graduated from ABCís Dog Training Course has completed an externship program taught by a qualified Mentor Trainer. ABC currently employs literally hundreds of Mentors nationwide, and I personally have worked with thousands of our students throughout my career.

I am proud to be an employee of Animal Behavior College and am impressed with the quality of the curriculums and Continuing Education Programs we offer. To that end, I donít understand the reference to the CDís in the post. ABC distributes their educational material via hard copy with the added bonus of online access. We do not offer CDís at this time.

I invite anyone who has any questions about our school or the programs we offer to call me directly. I am not posting anonymously and do not wish to conceal my identity as I consider it an honor to work at Animal Behavior College.

You can reach me directly at 866-271-9501 or Angela@dawgbiz.net.

Old 06-08-2011, 02:51 PM
I am new at Scam.com

I went through their program. I wasn't thrilled. I felt scammed out of $3000. I had a lot of trouble getting a proper 'externship'. The ABC certification doesn't hold much weight, most people don't recognize it. When I tried to get experience volunteering at the Humane Society and other rescue organizations I was told that the ABC certificate was useless and that I couldn't volunteer as a trainer. I would advise anyone interested in pursuing a career as a dog-trainer not to go through ABC but rather look into the CPDT program and ask reputable trainers in your town/city if you can 'shadow' them to get some experience. Volunteering at a rescue/shelter is also a good idea. Look into training programs that are hands on where you actually work with dogs and that employ methods that are humane and ethical.

Old 06-20-2011, 05:33 PM
I am new at Scam.com

[interesting.. i just talked to a worker there and i told them that i wanna be a vet assitsant and i think this college sounds to good i dont know what to do since u didnt get accepted at a human socity for a dog training do u think it would be different with a vet assistant?

Old 06-27-2011, 06:20 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Hi Tammy,

I would be careful with the vet assistant program at ABC. Call your humane society and other vet clinics in your area and ask if they recognize certification from ABC. Ask where their vet assistants received training/certification from and if they could recommend a good/affordable school or program. I think the Vet assistant program is new to ABC as it didn't exist when I was in the program. Good Luck!

Old 07-06-2011, 08:06 PM
I am new at Scam.com

hi tammy,
i hope it isnt too late to warn you but i have been doing alot of research about vet tech schooling. if the school is not certified by the american veterinary medical association then it is a waste of your time and money. penn foster is certified and the tuition for vet assistant is only 590.00 compared to the 1000's you would spend at abc. in the beginning i was leaning towards abc but now i have decided to go through penn foster. if you want to know more here is one website you should look at.
http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...ant.html?cat=4
hope this helps.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:16 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Hi Tammy,

I am a 2010 grad of the ABC Veterinary Assistant program. I was very excited to be able to go back to "school" while maintaining my current employment. The program for CVA is fairly extensive and the materials provided were most useful. I am not sure what "cd's" the other poster was referring to, but my course consisted of text books, workbooks and visual aids, plus my scrubs that I wore during my externship. As far as the "certification" being recognized, it varies by state, some states have no requirements for CVA's as you work under supervision of a Vet Tech, which are licensed and certified by state authorities. There are now some programs that the AMVA are recognizing in my state, and it is not quite as complete as the one I completed through ABC.
I am working for the Hospital I completed my externship in and very happy.
Even though I am on the opposite coast of the brick n mortar school, I received great support during my schooling. I would and have recommended this program to others expressing interest in working with and caring for animals. Best of Luck to you. JC

Old 07-12-2011, 04:04 PM
I am new at Scam.com

I know this post was submitted years ago, but as a Certified Veterinary Assistant graduate at Animal Behavior College, I find it necessary to tell all that this college is NOT a scam. Everything that they state on their website is 100% the truth and I recommend anybody who has considered going through ABC to follow through with it. There are even commercials on tv about ABC and if it were an internet scam...why would there be commercials on tv about it? I understand the concern for scams, but like I said....this is no scam! I have the certification to prove it if there were any questions asked. For those of you who have given false information about ABC on this thread, shame on you! There are better things to be done than give false information about something you do not know about. I completely back up Angela from ABC because what she is saying is the truth! Thanks for reading and I hope this information is found useful!!!

Old 08-31-2011, 08:50 AM
I am new at Scam.com

My, but those posts sound convincing. ::

Scams are advertised on television quite frequently. What reason would people have to proclaim this as a rip-off, other than to help prevent others from making the same mistakes? On the other hand, the "pro" messages sound suspiciously like people who were requested to promote and defend it--and there's no reason to trust those. The website design alone tells me all I need to know; it's structured like all other obvious scams, with a single page promising too-good-to-be-true things, an image of a cute dog and a smiling lady, alongside a form in which you're immediately expected to fill out your personal information. I've only heard of this school through its own advertisements, and having now read this thread, I'm fully convinced of what I already knew. There's nothing to make one think it's legit, or anything more than one other online "do/learn this or that at home" absurdities.

I once sent away for the info about how I could get certified as an astrologer/parapsychologist. Needless to say, it turned out to another useless thing--but the very idea was so much to imagine that I wound up keeping the paperwork for many years anyway.

Last edited by itsadogslife : 08-31-2011 at 11:47 AM.