report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER  

Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Used Car Scams
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2007, 07:03 PM
I am new at Scam.com

2003 Ranger Rover for $9000 SCAM!

This is the posting on Auto Trader that the people tried to get me with. I already knew it was too good to be true. Originally I asked if she could send me pictures and it took about two days before she did that. The car looked brand new and it had dealer paper on the floor. So of course I asked why the dealer paper was on the floor. NO RESPONSE! So I asked if I could come and see the car because the posting said it was in VA, so I said I could fly there this weekend. She said no the car is in Los Angeles ready to be shipped. She said:

If you are interested in my car you should know that it has never been wrecked or damaged, the car is in excellent condition. All the manuals, clear title and the original documentation come along with the car. The total price that I 'm asking for the car including shipping and insurance fees will be $9,000.00 . I am right now located in Glasgow, Scotland with my work for some time but we can work this out since the car is located in USA . Because it is a large transaction we will complete the deal only through Secure Trading .
If you are still interested just send me your full name and shipping address , phone number and I will open a case at Secure Trading and they will contact you with all the information about our deal. The car is at the company shipping in LA California ready for delivery, so you cannot come and see it, if you want to continue the deal follow the step's.

I then replied and said well I have friends that live in Los Angeles as well as San Diego, so that won't be a problem either with them coming to see the car.

She responded and said:

Your friends cannot come and see the car, please proceed with the steps if interested.
I knew from there it was a scam! Who wouldn't want a potential buyer to view a car, that is brand new?

Old 10-17-2007, 09:32 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Re: 2003 Ranger Rover for $9000 SCAM!

You know the old saying, "if it sounds too good to be true..."

This guy is still active on Autotrader. Geez, at least change your email around. It wasn't too hard to find this thread after doing a google search for Secure Trading. They want your info so someone can call you and set up "the deal." Besides the fact that the deal was way too good to be true, what tipped me off was that the emails sounded a little too "canned." Almost like he was cutting and pasting. Also his English and grammar isn't too hot either. Below is the exchange of correspondence for a 2005 Acura TL with 39,000 miles on it and asking $8000. (It's Blue Book is around $25,000.)

My email to him:

> Comments: What's the catch here? You're a little cheaper then the other sellers out there and was wondering what's wrong with it to warrant the cheaper price? Does it have a clean title? Has it been salvaged or flooded? Any options like Navi? Thanks, Mike

His Reply:

Hello there,

If you are interested in my car you should know that it has never been wrecked or damaged, the car is in excellent condition. All the manuals, clear title and the original documentation come along with the car. The total price that I 'm asking for the car including shipping and insurance fees will be $8,000.00. I am right now located in Glasgow, Scotland with my work for some time but we can work this out since the car is located in USA. Because it is a large transaction we will complete the deal only through Secure Trading.
If you are still interested just send me your full name and shipping address , phone number and I will open a case at Secure Trading and they will contact you with all the information about our deal.

Thank you and if you need more info's about the car feel free to contact me.

Regards

Nice how it's the exact same email as the Range Rover! My Reply back:

Hi

I am definitely interested in the car and am willing to pay full price for it. I hope you can appreciate me wanting to make sure everything is as you say, since there isnít a whole lot to go off of on Autotrader.com. Can you give me a VIN to check itís title and history? Is it possible to have it inspected and looked at by a relative of mine who lives in the area?

Also, I am unfamiliar with Secure Trading. Can you give me a website or phone number so I can see how they protect both of us in this deal? The only site I found at www.securetrading.com appeared just to for setting up credit card processing. Iíve got no problem supplying my information, I just want to be a little more sure everything is legit. Thanks,

Mike

And his latest reply:

Hello again,

The total price for this car is $8.000.00 shipping included. Here are the transaction steps:
1- You will send me your full name, shipping address and phone#
2- You will be contacted by Secure Trading with all the details about the transaction.
3-You will make a deposit of 30% in to an Secure Trading agent name.
4-I will send you the car for inspection along with all the documents (title, a bill of sale).
5-If you want to keep the car, you will pay me the remaining balance. If you don't want to keep it, you will send it back to me free and i will support the shipping back fees and SecureTrading will refund to you all money have you sent.
I will wait your full name and shipping address so i can open a case with Secure Trading regarding this deal.

Regards

PS: The car is at the company shipping in La California ready for delivery, the vin# 19uua66265a040760

That's great about the Range Rover, wanting his friends to see it in LA. I'm going to write him back letting him know I'm in LA and see what he says. I'll keep you posted on his reply. Hope this helps for anyone surfing Autotrader.

Old 10-29-2007, 02:53 PM
I am new at Scam.com

I am going through the same scam.

2004 Honda Accord EX V6, 38000 mi, $9000 USD

Ad is on Oregonlive.com. Ad started 10/21/07. Thought it may be too late to respond but did anyway. Sent message through a link 10/26/07.

Is this a 4 or 6 CYL? You have both in the ad. Where are you located in Oregon? I am in Montana. Can you send pictures from all angles and interior? Has this car been wrecked?

Received reply to my surprise, 10/28/07.
Here is what I received:

Hi,

Thank you for your inquiry regarding my car. If you are interested in it you should know that it has never been wrecked or damaged, the car is in excelent condition. All the manuals, clear title and the original documentation come along with it. The total price I am asking including shipping and insurance fees will be $9,000.00 USD. Here are the most important details: US car (US model, US specs )- odometer in Miles, speedometer in Miles per Hour (MPH). This car meets all Environmental Regulations in the USA (DOT, EPA ). It has a clear title issued in US and it can be registered anytime under your name without a problem. I will send you the Bill of Sale along with the car so that you can register the car on to your name without any problem and so you can be the car's legitimate owner. The vehicle is absolutely perfect, it has a clear title, has never been repaired, never been involved in any type of accident or had any paint or body work done! I would realy want to meet and talk about this deal but I live in Aberdeen now, beautiful Scotland, with my work and all. In UK all specs are different from the American ones and it costs me too much driving this car legally here and also there is nobody interested in buying it here that's why I am selling it below market value hoping to find a buyer since the car is located in USA. The second motive I sell so cheap is because here in Scotland I cannot drive this car. I would like to use a third party service to handle this transaction for our both safety and comfort. WorldPay offers a third party service for their premium members only. I realy trust these guys and I am sure we can work something out eventualy. As a WorldPay premium member I have applied for this service and I'm willing to pay for their fee if you agree using their service. If you are still interested just send me your name and your residence address, where you would like the car to be shipped, and I will open a case at WorldPay and they will contact you with all the information about our deal. They will take care of the shipping/payment too. Just let me know and I'll get back to you with further details about the transaction.

Regards,
Kevin J White

Thought, Great. I will check Vin# on Carfax. The information I received has it registered with one owner from the day it was bought. Most recently registered 9/12/2007, IN FLORDA!!!????

Sent 2nd e-mail:

Kevin
I have not heard of World Pay. I will look it up on the Internet. I still would like to get some more pictures from all angles including the inside. Also you didn't say if this was a V6 or 4 CYL, as you have both in your ad. Could we get a location of the car so we could get some one to look at it for us.
Thank you,
Rich

Thought maybe check and see if there was any Kevin J. White in the white pages, that may have recently moved from Florida. Couldn't find any.

Thought this could be a scam. That's when I found this site. I can't believe that I found this post with almost the exact same wording and circumstances.

Thank God there are sites like this and people who take the time out of their busy days to post these things. Thought I should do my part and share this with ya all.

Still waiting for his response.

Old 11-08-2007, 11:19 AM
I am new at Scam.com

I emailed the guy back about the Acura and said, "that's great! I'll be in LA on business for awhile and can stop by and look at the car."

Of course I got no reply back and haven't heard from him since. Incidently, I had a traffic cop buddy of mine look up the VIN number the scammer supplied and he was instantly told that the car was for sale on eBay. All this guy did was search eBay until he found an 05 Acura TL with the vin listed and sent that to me as "his VIN."

Old 02-05-2008, 06:18 PM
I am new at Scam.com

I think I found the scam your talking about.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...00&cardist=131

Old 02-05-2008, 06:26 PM
I am new at Scam.com

I reported it to the autotrader

Old 02-12-2008, 08:15 AM
I am new at Scam.com

I found this same scam listed here, http://secure.adpay.com/clicknbuy.as...did=ALA1912445

Once I inquired about the Rover I got this response back...

Thank you for your inquiry regarding my car. If you are interested in it you should know that it has never been wrecked or damaged, the car is in excelent condition. All the manuals, clear title and the original documentation come along with it. The total price I'm asking including shipping and insurance fees will be
$9,120.00 USD. Here are the most important details: US car (US model, US specs )- odometer in Miles, speedometer in Miles per Hour (MPH). This car meets all Environmental Regulations in the USA (DOT, EPA ), it can be registered anytime under your name without any problem. I will send you the Clear Title already signed off and also the Bill of Sale along with the car so you can be the its legitimate owner. The vehicle is absolutely perfect, it has a clean title, has never been repaired, never been involved in any type of accident or had any paint or body work done! The vehicle is located right now in United States, in Moneybookers's possession. I live in Aberdeen now, beautiful Scotland, with my work and all. UK specs are different from American ones and it costs me too much driving this car legally here that's why I am selling it below market value hoping to find a buyer. Because it is a large transaction we will complete the deal only through Moneybookers who offers a third party service. If you are still interested just send me your name and your residence address and I will open a case at Moneybookers and they will contact you with all the information about our deal. They will take care of the shipping/payment. Just let me know and I'll get back to you with further details about this posible transaction.

Just wanted to let people know. This is a great site for stuff like this. I don't know that I would go through with this transaction anyways. But I bet there are people that would.

There would have been a better chance of me buying the car if the story was something like... This car was my ex husbands and I really want to get back at him by selling it for nothing. Just FYI for the well respected scammers.

Old 02-15-2008, 05:24 PM
FIGHT THE CROOKS

Amazing,

That is all you see these days, the same script with different names, but same scam. Never use Western Union, never use escrow service, they are all sure signs of a scam.

Good luck,
www.Warranties-For-Less.com

Old 03-06-2008, 09:27 PM
I am new at Scam.com

I just found the same scam at Syracuse.com

Almost the same story...this time the person is in Scotland because they just got divorced and now they need to sell their 2007 Ford F-150 Lariat for $8,000.

It's ready to be shipped, blah blah

I emailed back asking for the VIN and then googled car scams and found this site and read the stories everyone has posted.

I'll let you know what the response to the VIN question is...

Old 03-10-2009, 01:51 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Hi,
I believe my father has fallen for this scam. Same scenario as listed above, $8,000 and Scotland.

Any ideas on what his next step should be? I mean I know he'll prolly never get his money back, but is there some one he should report this to?

Thanks,
Patrick

Old 06-17-2009, 11:22 AM
Newbie Member

Never buy a car if you cannot see it, test drive it and check its history...There are many ways that you could get scammed when buying a car...and I am coming from some personal experiences.

Old 01-15-2012, 03:13 AM
Newbie Member

I have handed 5,000 pounds to a guy calling himself Philip Howard who in fact is a Philip Cottrell based in Spain, he works with David Miller also based in Spain and they have been selling used Ranger Rovers at very discounted prices as they are part of a liquidation sale. Once you have paid the reservation they reserve your car and then arrange registration and delivery. They have taken over 250,000 in reservations and no one has ever seen a car. Please keep away from Philip Howard or Philip Cottrell or David Miller dont get caught like I did.