report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER
Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Work at Home Scams
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2006, 08:59 AM
I am new at Scam.com

New England Crafters

I've heard nothing but wonderful things about this company and it seems too good to be true? Does any one have any info on this company. magicalgift.com is their website. thanks.

Old 12-30-2008, 02:03 PM
I am new at Scam.com

Re: New England Crafters

well, I haven't tried it yet but I'm seriously considering it. If I do, I will update you on how it goes.

However I will say this: I very strongly believe that they look like a legitimate business for a number of reasons.
There is no "real" fee for starting. Yes there is a fee, but they refund it once you get rolling. I think that's fair b/c you have to look at it from the business' standpoint. I'm sure they were dealing with tons of people who thought this would be easy work, the company was sending out kits, and losing money because people decided it was too much actual work.
I wouldn't try this if you're not crafty. I am quite crafty, and also smart enough to look at some of the tiny tiny sewing projects and say "no way in hell - that would drive me bonkers."

The other good sign (I think) is that they pay for all shipping and whatnot once you get rolling. That seems pretty darn legit to me.

I can't help but think that the few bad reviews I'm finding of this company are coming from, well, to be frank: idiots. I've seen websites of people complaining that they never got their first projects / training samples approved, and they even offered photos of their work. Well, their work looked like absolute crap - I certainly wouldn't approve it either!

Anyway, that's my two cents.

Old 12-30-2008, 06:28 PM
Newbie Member

This actually looks pretty legit, they go into detail about things like taxes and what they expect from you and the pay doesn't sound unreasonable plus as the other person said, they pay for the shipping.

Old 12-30-2008, 06:35 PM
Platinum Member

From http://www.wahm.com/boards/Forum14/HTML/000730.html forum

Quote:
The birdhouse is the one I am doing. For the starter kit you will need to buy spackle, ultra fine glitter, acrylic paint, and a paint brush and will also need to supply a hot glue gun and glue sticks. The kit includes feathers, wood birdhouses, and little birds. Each birdhouse has to be spackled and then must dry completely. After its dry you will need to paint it a pastel color and again let it dry. I also found I had to put on a second coat of acrylic paint and then sprinkle with ultra fine glitter and let it dry. While the birdhouse is drying you can acrylic paint the little bird and sprinkle it with ultra fine glitter and let it dry. Once the birdhouse is dry you will need to cut feathers from the bunch that they give you and hot glue gun them onto the roof and you guessed it let the glue dry. lol I have to do one side of the roof let it dry and then do the other side. Last you have to glue a tiny bead to the now dry bird along with some feathers and let it dry and then glue the bird to the birdhouse and ta da your finally done. lol It takes one to two hours or longer to let the spackle dry and about an hour to let the paint dry. It is very difficult and at times frustrating to do. Just not worth the effort to make them in my opinion. I think it really all depends on how much money you are looking to make. If you only want to make $50 a month than this might be for you. Its just not for me.

Old 12-30-2008, 08:26 PM
Newbie Member

According to the people on that forum it seems like this would be better for a hobby with a light profit then something you should count on for income. Sounds like it would be good for people who want to craft in their spare time while getting small profit, like teenagers and the elderly. Just my opinion

Old 04-23-2009, 11:42 AM
I am new at Scam.com

I make the Kittky Cat magnet for this company and I have never had any bad experience with them. I can do a full kit of the magnets in about 30 hours, so I'm now trying to get approved for a carousel horse. Don't get dicouraged if it take multiple tries to get approved. It took five tries for me with the magnet. They will automatically ship you more material if you're not approved the first three tries. They also tell you exactly what is wrong with your sample so that is very helpful.
Disciples cross is another company I do work for and they are very good as well, though it costs a fair amount.

Old 11-14-2009, 04:18 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoe4you View Post
According to the people on that forum it seems like this would be better for a hobby with a light profit then something you should count on for income. Sounds like it would be good for people who want to craft in their spare time while getting small profit, like teenagers and the elderly. Just my opinion
That's been the impression I've got as well from an ongoing discussion that people have been having over at my blog.

I was a bit baffled as to why so much discussion was going on about it at my blog, since I thought WAHM had a forum dedicated to it and New England Crafters themselves started a forum and requested people only use their forum, until someone just posted this:

"Finally! Got on the wahm forum. I agree with LuAnn – can't easily get to any good info. I am only able to view the last few pages and the first few before it all goes bad and I get 'page not found' so it's disappointing but I'll keep trying. Also got on the NEC forum but there's no really good tips there that I can see. Thanks for all your help.

However – in the process of getting on the NEC forum I found out that I am approved on the reindeer. Don't have the info in the mail yet but I'm looking forward to getting busy. Not sure about the other things I turned in but suspect that they were not approved."

Old 11-16-2009, 08:29 AM
Diamond Member

I want to ask a question about the Better Business Bureau.

New England Crafters is a work at home crafting company. They sell kits for fifty dollars, dvd's for fifteen dollars and glue guns and such to make their crafts. The time to make their crafts and finally make some money is much longer and much less money then advertised. They send poor instructions, bad samples and in the end you are guessing at how to make their craft. So they can run you around as much as they like. Some end up making their crafts and making some money but many do not and lose their money and time.

The company sells these very small, cheaply made crafts for five dollars a piece. I tried to find out who they sell to and they gave me two references. I contacted the references and it was craft fair booths where they said the owner had rented a booth one time over the years.

The BBB report for them in the past gave them an F and was warning they were a work at home company and they did not suggest people work for these kind of companies.

In fact in the state of Maryland the Attorney General has banned any work at home company who charges to work for them not be able to operate in the state of Maryland. NEC states on their order form they can not sell their kits in Maryland.

In the last two weeks the BBB for Conneticut has updated their information on New England Crafters. They now give it a B+ rating and have no information about it being a work at home crafting company.

I contacted the BBB about this. Asked them why they do not have the company listed as a work at home crafting company. They would not answer my questions.
Just told me if I had a complaint against the company to fill out a form.
It seems to me the BBB is promoting a work at home crafting company by not listing it as a work at home crafting company selling kits.
Why do you think they would do this?

I am thinking the Better Business Bureau is not a reliable way to check out a work at home company. I realize they do state not to rely on their information but when checking out work at home companies you are always told to check out the BBB reports.

Last edited by Tulip : 11-16-2009 at 08:35 AM.

Old 11-16-2009, 09:27 AM
Diamond Member

The WAHM.com forum has an active thread for New England Crafters.

The posts on that thread date back to 2005.

I would say the people who can not find posts about NEC on the WAHM.com web site just do not know how to use the tools for the forum. The forum does not always work properly and can be difficult to figure out how to view the threads.

NEC used the WAHM.COM threads to promote their company over the years.
They have the same women posting about the company on the NEC thread day after day. Year after year.
Some of the usual suspects have recently posted on The Truth Blog. Some used different screen names and one did not.
I find the behavior of these people to be that of shills.
I know I have tried to post my experience with New England Crafters on different blogs and forums only to be followed by these same people who try and attack what I say. If they were posting the truth about the company and not attacking me personally it might make sense.
But the way they handle forums and blogs only makes the company look worse. And believe me that is not a good thing.
Of course if you have not followed the WAHM.COM NEC thread you would not catch on to what is going on with these people (shills).

Old 11-16-2009, 10:12 AM
Diamond Member

I want to share a bit more about New England Crafters. Since I feel they are a scam this is the forum to share my experience. This company advertises No experience necessary. They advertise you can just keep trying to get approved and work for them. They say they will not give up on you. What a hoot. This company has their approval process and whether they ever pay you set up so they can run you around as much as they like. It can take months to years to ever make any money. And then the money made will be less than what is advertised on their web site. You are not going to make four hundred and fifty of these crafts in the time they allow.

Mostly if you have a great deal of crafting experience this company may be something you would enjoy. They have a time limit on your crafts after you are approved. If you can make fifty of a craft in ten days or less then they will move you up to one hundred. Then I think you are given two weeks to make one hundred. If you go past two weeks they put you back to fifty. Many have posted it takes eight hour days to make the time limit. That you would be working twenty four seven to make more than fifty or one hundred. To speed up with these crafts you have to be a good crafter and be able to craft hours and hours every day. They pay one dollar a piece for some of their crafts and a bit more for harder ones to make. You will probably make fifty to three hundred a month. The three hundred could be a stretch and may take you years to get to that pay.
I think these crafts are way to difficult for a teenager or the elderly to get right.

It seems they have a few working steady for them. They have this long approval list they post every month. Many who get approved do not stay with the company. They have testimonials which they pay the person for. They give a one hundred dollar gift certificate. Also those who give testimonials are given the chance after getting approved for one craft. So they too may not stay with the company.

I see this company saying No experience, selling expensive kits filled with few materials and very cheap materials. They take weeks and weeks of mailing back and forth samples and or materials. You also are paying for the postage back and forth when being in the approval process. Becomes very costly.

They do seem to have a tight little group of followers almost cult like. It seems this tight little group post on message boards and blogs to promote the company. Acting like they are giving out support and help when the reality is they are selling kits.

I do not like this company. I do not like this company because of the bogus information given out on their website and also the attacks from their followers when others try to post their experince on blogs and message boards. The attacks from these shills and knowledge of how the company operates have fueled my outrage.

I have a big distaste for New England Crafters

Last edited by Tulip : 11-16-2009 at 10:23 AM.

Old 11-16-2009, 07:05 PM
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulip View Post
The WAHM.com forum has an active thread for New England Crafters.

The posts on that thread date back to 2005.

I would say the people who can not find posts about NEC on the WAHM.com web site just do not know how to use the tools for the forum. The forum does not always work properly and can be difficult to figure out how to view the threads.

NEC used the WAHM.COM threads to promote their company over the years.
They have the same women posting about the company on the NEC thread day after day. Year after year.
Some of the usual suspects have recently posted on The Truth Blog. Some used different screen names and one did not.
I find the behavior of these people to be that of shills.
I know I have tried to post my experience with New England Crafters on different blogs and forums only to be followed by these same people who try and attack what I say. If they were posting the truth about the company and not attacking me personally it might make sense.
But the way they handle forums and blogs only makes the company look worse. And believe me that is not a good thing.
Of course if you have not followed the WAHM.COM NEC thread you would not catch on to what is going on with these people (shills).
I've been a part of wahm.com/forum for years, while they have an active NEC thread until they recently updated the site it was a pain in the ass to actually find it. Not only that, but with 101 pages of replies, your insinuation that they're almost "all by the same people" is ridiculous and completely false. Each forum on WAHM.com has it's regulars, but there are likely over 100+ different women who have posted to that thread.

Old 11-17-2009, 06:54 AM
Diamond Member

Lisan 23 you posted to me

your insinuation that they're almost "all by the same people" is ridiculous and completely false.

Lisan 23

I did not say the people I consider shills were the only ones posting. I said the shills posted day after day year after year. Like you I realize many other people posted also. Many other people have posted on the NEC threads along with shills. Shills meaning people who post to promote the company and have something to gain. The gain would be selling kits. I guess you could say many other things would be gained also. But to call them shills I would say it is the selling of kits which in turn keeps the company in business and keeps the usual suspects in work with this company.

Even though it may be a pain in the ass for you to read the entire NEC Crafting threads it may open your eyes to what has gone on over the years on their threads. ( I want to say also you stated you felt it was a pain in the ass to find the NEC threads. Many seem to find it a pain in the ass to read an entire thread.)

I personally never have found the length of a thread a problem. I just read entire threads if I want to form an opinion or gain information. The more information posted gives me a better way to form an opinion about a specific company.

Maybe because you found it to be a pain in the ass it limited your ability to understand what has gone on with that company New England Crafters over the years.

The company has always had a group of individuals selling that company on the crafting forum. The group changed after 2007. But the same little group always posting and keeping the threads going on the entire crafting forum. They were sure to sell the company on every thread possible. Also until 2008 kept a lot of information that would have been valuable to form an opinion about this company off of the board. In 2008 a couple of new workers for NEC started giving out much info on how long it takes to make a craft and how much they were getting paid. Then the company asked all to quit posting on WAHM.COM and only post on their new NEC forum That is why few are posting on WAHM.COM for NEC at this time. I think they have just a few of the usual suspects posting with the new people to sell the kits and guide them over to their new NEC forum.

There is no law against marketing a company on a message board. Shills are legal and are used to promote a company.

I just see work at home crafting companies a scam because of the sale of crafting kits. Also many other things they do. After following this particular company and seeing what was going on in the crafting forum at WAHM.COM I find it appalling. I notified the now administrator and she took some of the attacks made on me off of the threads. Personal attacks posted when I tried to share what the Chamber of Commerce in Torrington told me about this company. I also have notified WAHM.COM and asked why they let work at home crafting companies post active threads on their forum. When Cheryl had the forum her assistant sent me an email confirming she felt work at home crafting companies are scams. The now administration did not reply to my email asking about active threads and work at home crafting companies. But the now administrator did see a group of NEC women were posting nasty and personal attacks toward me.
She was professional enough to rectify the problem.

I know WAHM.COM has posted articles saying not to pay money up front for work with a work at home company. Maybe just posting that information is enough information given and after that they feel it is your responsibility to figure out what is a scam.

Lisa 23 If you have any interest in the truth about New England Crafters you might read the entire NEC thread and take notes. You may be surprised at what you find out. I guess everyone may form a different opinion after gathering all the facts. Just makes it all the more interesting.

What you posted about my post I found very interesting. You totally did not understand what I posted.

I have had many others agree with my opinion about the crafting forum on WAHM.COM so I sure am not alone with my opinion. My opinion is NEC has shills working the crafting forum and selling the company New England Crafters. It is okay to shill but is it okay when the work at home crafting companies are considered to be scams. In Maryland anyway.

I also have found that work at home job articles, message boards and blogs do not always give out accurate information. My feeling is many have something to personally gain by starting blogs, message boards and writing articles for work at home jobs. I think with message boards traffic brought to the site may be more important than whether scams post on the particular message board. Also many articles written about New England Crafters leave out much information about this company. Over the past months I am finding more and more being told about this company. I think with them stopping the posting on WAHM.COM you may find more people unhappy with this company and posting their unhappiness. Their website information is extremly misleading. Without a message board to gain information about this company people are going to be MISLEAD EVEN MORE.

I think many find reading an entire thread for a work at home company A PAIN IN THE ASS.

Also Lisan I would imagine many would read the NEC threads and consider what I believe to me shills the regulars.
The regulars of a message board just enjoying posting about their glorious success with New Engalnd Crafters. I agree I could be wrong and this may be the case. They are just regulars posting about their wonderful company New England Crafters. Everyone can just form their own opinion. I guess you certainly let me know what your opinion is about WAHM.COM and the New England Crafters threads.

Last edited by Tulip : 11-17-2009 at 07:17 AM.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:09 PM
Diamond Member

I was just on the WAHM.COM forum reading back as far as I could go for the New England Crafters thread.
Way back in 2004 and 2005 it was being posted the owner of the company did not want the company discussed on message boards. Then I found a post made in 2006 that said the owner of New England Crafters had asked Cheryl the administrator of WAHM.COM to delete all posts about her company. So now in 2009 the same things are going on with NEC not wanting the company to be discussed on message boards.
So it seems for sure the people posting about the company day after day and promoting it are not doing what the owner would like done. It seems very strange to me because a lot of the people who say they work for this company seem to have formed a very tight group. Would think they would do just what the owner would like them to do.
Oh well now I am even more confused about how the thread operated. No real answers in my mind after reading the first posts made on WAHM.COM about New England Crafters.
Guess I will never understand what all is going on with this company and message boards. I sure thought they were working hard to sell the company. If that is not what they were trying to do I think they did a good job of getting people to buy kits by posting all the time on the thread. Maybe the owner has mixed feelings about it. Sells kits but way to much information getting out about the company.
Boy would I love to know the truth about this company.

Old 11-17-2009, 05:22 PM
Diamond Member

When I referenced pain in the ass, it was in regards to finding the NEC thread, which has been around since 2007. If you google, you can also find the one from before then that was supposedly deleted. I have no desire to read it as I'm not interested in NEC in the slightest. But you stated "I would say the people who can not find posts about NEC on the WAHM.com web site just do not know how to use the tools for the forum."

Up until just a couple months ago, though, the wahm.com forum was actually formatted very differently from what it is now and it was a pain in the ass to find the actual NEC thread.

Old 11-17-2009, 06:38 PM
Diamond Member

For anyone that may be interested in reading the earlier posts for NEC on WAHM.COM you can use the search tool. Just type in the name of the company you are looking for and it will show you all the past posts. Magicalgift? will take you way back in years. New England Crafters is also called Magical Gift. Add a question mark and you will find some older posts.

Also Chers started the NEC thread way back in 2005 on the WAHM.COM forum. If you go to the members list and look up her screen name, go to her profile and then look at all of her posts it will take you back to 2004 and 2005.

For any one that is hunting for information about tips for different projects on the NEC thread you would need to read or scan through the entire thread, Which I assume is a pain in the ass for some because there are so many posts. I assume the ladies posting on the Truth Blog did not read back through the entire thread. I really have no idea why they had problems with the thread. Thought it may have been because it was a new forum and they did not know how to use all the tools provided by the forum.

Later

Oh I forgot

The NEC thread was never deleted. The owner has asked on many occasions for it to be deleted but the two administrators who were notified feel they do not have the right to refuse having the thread and posts on their WAHM.COM forum.
So the thread has lived on.

Last edited by Tulip : 11-17-2009 at 06:47 PM.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:59 AM
Diamond Member

sjuracka

Have you tried one of the work at home crafting companies? The very companies you are selling.

You are charging money for a list of work at home companies you say pay and are good legitimate companies

I see you are selling a listing of work at home crafting companies.

After I have paid out money to two work at home crafting companies and also I have posted and shared with many who also have tried a work at home crafting company I feel these companies are scams. Even though there does seem to be a few companies who do pay for some of the crafts sent into them, the pay is low and it is very time consuming. Also it seems more of those who pay for kits lose their money then make money. A few get approved and go on to sell their crafts back to the companies. Most who pay for a crafting kit or kits lose their money. This amount of money paid to New England Crafters can be in the hundreds of dollars. The people paying the money may not get approved, ever get paid for the crafts after approval because the company finds something wrong with the finished craft or they can not speed up and decide the time is not worth the pay they will receive. Or they may just quit and lose their money because of all the frustration they will go through.

It seems the crafting company always says
NO EXPERIENCE NECESSARY

SELL KITS (UPFRONT FEES)

MAY SELL TOOLS

GIVE CHEAP MATERIALS TO WORK WITH FOR MAKING THEIR CRAFTS

MAY GIVE INACCURATE INSTRUCTIONS

PROMISES MUCH MORE MONEY THEN CAN BE MADE

I could go on and on with why these companies seem to all be scams.

And now I see you trying to sell a list of these companies that seem to be scams.

Are you not scamming folks?

Will you please explain why you feel these crafting companies are not scams even if you could prove a few folks make some money by making these crafts and selling them back to a company.

Old 11-30-2009, 06:24 AM
I am new at Scam.com

Because they sold over 1 million directories with no complaints. If this is not exactly the way they say it is - then they refund your money back to you within 90 days.

Old 12-01-2009, 05:18 AM
Diamond Member

sjuracka

I appreciate your reply.

I have no experience with using one of your directories. But I do have experience with New England Crafters. I purchased a kit and went through their approval process and chose to quit and lose my money. What I experienced was so much different than what they advertised I felt it was a scam. I also talked with many on a message board over a year and a half period of time who made no money after purchasing kits. Since you are promoting New England Crafters my opinion would be this particular company listed in your directory would be a bad investment. Also all I have found out over a two year period of time by reading posts on message boards and talking with others tells me most work at home crafting companies are scams.
I wish you could say you personally have bought kits from these companies and successfully made some money with the company.
I have to admit if your claim is correct that nobody has complained that is amazing. I assume most do not complain about the crafting companies being a scam. I think a lot of people who pay out money to these kind of work at home companies assume from the beginning they may lose their money so they say well I will gamble and if I lose I will just try another crafting company. I have read this attitude posted on message boards.
Not at all the way I look at all of this. I feel the people who put these kind of companies out there for people to lose their money should be complained about and stopped.
But the reality is they just keep on scamming folks.

Last edited by Tulip : 12-01-2009 at 05:21 AM.