report scams here at scam.com dont get scammed Scams and Scammers - Expose hypocrisy and spread respect ! Don't get ripped off! REGISTER  

Go Back   scams > Scam Message Board > Religious Scams
Register FAQ Register To Post Member List Promote Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2012, 06:03 PM
We are all that we have

Re: What did Jesus save us from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by finix View Post
No one in their right mind "wants" to need anything. Sometimes you just don't have a choice. If you are sick, you "need" medical help. If you are disabled, you "need" people taking care of you. Etc.
I never ever stated that I wanted to need something.
I think this is what I stated:
Quote:
I don't want to "need" anything.
What I cannot give to myself that I think that I need, I don't need.
Your statement above would purport that I KNOW that what I want, I need....it just isn't so.
I might not even want to go on, if I couldn't take care of myself.

What would you ever know of a person who studies ways to remain self-reliant, in their life?
Most people can't think, most of the remainder won't think, the small fraction who do think mostly can't do it very well. The extremely tiny fraction who think regularly, accurately, creatively, and without self-delusion- in the long run these are the only people who count... Robert Heinlein

Old 01-13-2012, 06:09 PM
We are all that we have

Quote:
No.

The limbs won't grow back, but if doctors knew the correct verses, they could instruct nurses to read them to amputees who are having hard time with dealing. No, doctors can't retire. Verses would be entirely useless if there is an infection or other emergency.
(Ahem) If the amputees requested a "spiritual" verse or two, they could also request something read from The Rig Veda, or request a philosophical reading from Socrates, or request to talk with a trained psychiatrist, for that matter.

The healing would take place on the inside from whatever they requested to listen to.
Most people can't think, most of the remainder won't think, the small fraction who do think mostly can't do it very well. The extremely tiny fraction who think regularly, accurately, creatively, and without self-delusion- in the long run these are the only people who count... Robert Heinlein

Old 01-13-2012, 06:24 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOST DOG View Post
The healing would take place on the inside from whatever they requested to listen to.
Is stating the obvious your new hobby?

You are missing the point. Those who actually "need" verses read to them are not in the position to be able to "request" them rationally.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:02 PM
We are all that we have

Quote:
Is stating the obvious your new hobby?
With your outlook on reality, I think that you wouldn't know "obvious" if it fell into your bathtub.

My "point" is that the inner healing (mental) would be the only possible healing that a requested spiritual reading, or talking with a "shrink" would produce.

Quote:
You are missing the point. Those who actually "need" verses read to them are not in the position to be able to "request" them rationally.
And here we are again......need versus want.

You are the one who thinks that you actually know what other folks need, but it just might be only what they want instead.

This is based on your perceptions and not theirs, correct?

Your wanting someone to pray over folks who cannot help themselves is quite a stretch for the lord to heal them from as far away as heaven is.

And if they can't help themselves you will take it upon yourself to rescue them from their pain. Got it.

Most of these folks want a new leg and cannot get one from your god, but he can heal their ingrown toenails, if they had legs.

They might want to talk to someone for some comfort, but I would never take it upon myself to know that they wanted this help.

That would be their personal choice, if they could communicate it to me.

Old 01-13-2012, 11:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I also "knew" when I was enchanted by this mass delusional belief.
Then why do you want to deny others the experience you once enjoyed yourself.

Because God doesn't actually exist? It doesn't matter to me. When you get as old as I am, you start appreciating simple things in life, like the fact that God loves you enough to leave you alone. Even if he doesn't exist.

Old 01-14-2012, 02:44 AM
Most Valued Platinum Member

Quote:
If you do, come to our church. It's magical.
why anyone would turn down magical is the question!? maybe it's sorta like ridin a bike, speaking in public, fear of failure!? so where is your church!?

Old 01-14-2012, 03:33 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexx View Post
why anyone would turn down magical is the question!? maybe it's sorta like ridin a bike, speaking in public, fear of failure!? so where is your church!?
http://www.landoverbaptist.net/

Old 01-14-2012, 04:08 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
What would you ever know of a person who studies ways to remain self-reliant, in their life?
Only that it's incredibly easy to study anything when no one is out to get you.

Old 01-14-2012, 02:01 PM
Je suis un travesti executif

Quote:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I'm going to give you an internet for that one....lol

"The one thing women don't want to find in their stockings on Christmas morning is their husband." ~ Joan Rivers

Old 01-15-2012, 01:31 AM

so i head over there to peruse the place and read some forum topics and i find right up front the topic......"eating corn on the cob is training for oral sex"!? kinda thru me aback as they say!? and why does landover sound familiar!? oh well, i will spend some time there and see what happens!? ...........holy crap i dont beleive these thred titles!? take a quick peek here!? http://www.landoverbaptist.net/

Last edited by lexx : 01-15-2012 at 01:37 AM.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:40 AM
Je suis un travesti executif

Quote:
so i head over there to peruse the place and read some forum topics and i find right up front the topic......"eating corn on the cob is training for oral sex"!? kinda thru me aback as they say!? and why does landover sound familiar!? oh well, i will spend some time there and see what happens!? ...........holy crap i dont beleive these thred titles!? take a quick peek here!? http://www.landoverbaptist.net/
Landoverbaptist is a joke site....lol

"The one thing women don't want to find in their stockings on Christmas morning is their husband." ~ Joan Rivers

Old 01-15-2012, 01:47 AM
I ain't got time for pedantic Ghandi type internet nerds

Quote:
A very cool site.....

Old 01-15-2012, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Why? You want to freak me out with a shrine to my insanity or something?

speaking of which, although i admit i have just gotten started over there, LB forum, i have to ask if IT is a shrine to/of insanity!? oh look, bill moyers is back on PBS!? my fav source for more sane conversation!?

Old 01-15-2012, 05:56 AM
Platinum Member

I'm enraged. How dare you, the unsaved trash, to call our place of worship of the only living God a joke?

Old 01-15-2012, 10:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
That's because its a satire website.

Landover Baptist Church (Wiki);
Quote:
The Landover Baptist Church is a fictional Baptist church based in the fictional town of Freehold, Iowa. The Landover Baptist web site and its associated Landoverbaptist.net Forum are a satire of fundamentalist Christianity and the Religious Right in the United States.

Origin
The site was created by Chris Harper, who obtained his Master's Degree in English Literature from George Mason University in 1993 after being expelled from Liberty University (founded by Jerry Falwell) in 1989 for producing a satirical radio show which Liberty's administration found offensive. Harper frequently appears at atheist conventions playing the character of "Pastor Deacon Fred Smith". The website is owned by a company called Americhrist, Ltd.

Description
The fictional Landover Baptist Church is a parody of fundamentalist, Independent Baptist churches and Biblical literalism.

The fictitious church grants all authority to its Pastor, previously Ben Ebeneezer Smith, then upon his death to his brother Deacon Fred Smith, and as of June 2010 Pastor Harry Harkwell resulting from a "coup", in accordance with its spurious interpretation of Romans 13. However, Deacon Fred was "restored" to his Pastor position after a "reconciliation" during Glenn Beck's Restoring Honor Rally. The church has an elaborate fine system inspired by Jerry Falwell's system at Liberty University.

The church supposedly owns well over 1,000 acres (400 ha) in Freehold. The church claims to have twenty-eight paid pastors, 412 full time staff members, eleven fully equipped chapels, seven sanctuaries, a 100,000 seat amphitheater, twelve television studios, two radio stations, an academy, a university, two gated communities, twenty-seven developments, three office parks, as well as a shopping mall, amusement park, golf course, retirement community, foundation, fire and police department, circus camp, resort center, retreat center, and a number of fitness centers, swimming pools, hot springs, and cemeteries.

Landover claims to have obtained a "permanent injunction" against all "unsaved" persons, prohibiting them from being within ten miles of the Landover property as well as forbidding them to enter Landover's website.
Heck, check the USPS website, there is no such place as Freehold, Iowa.

Last edited by nomaxim : 01-15-2012 at 10:11 AM.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:23 AM
We are all that we have

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOST DOG
I also "knew" when I was enchanted by this mass delusional belief.
Quote:
Then why do you want to deny others the experience you once enjoyed yourself.
Excuse me, but if you look carefully at my entire post, I was strictly referring to MY own experiences with religion.

I challenge you to produce even one posting of mine where I stated that I would like to see you stop doing something that you love to do.

If you look deep enough into my posts over the years you will only find posts of mine that state that my purpose on this board is to invite people to confront their personal beliefs held inside of them, and to compare them to that which is our reality around us.

A serious unbiased challenging of those beliefs would either strengthen them inside the person, or cause them to weaken, being replaced by a belief that is stronger and also more viable inside of them due to the new personal information obtained during the challenge.

That is as close as you will come to my telling people to stop believing in a god.

For a person to grow to be all that they can be this action must be performed as a continuous process in order to relieve stagnation in one's life.

Quote:
Because God doesn't actually exist? It doesn't matter to me.
If it really doesn't matter to you then why does it appear that you are lying to me and your insides, from the words you post on this board?

You aren't really that insecure in your existence, are you?

Your words bring to my mind the line from the Mel Gibson film "Braveheart" where he stated "Every man dies, not every man really lives."

Quote:
When you get as old as I am, you start appreciating simple things in life, like the fact that God loves you enough to leave you alone. Even if he doesn't exist.
I understand what happens when a person gets older.

However for myself it was a time for a challenge to all of those stagnant, impossible beliefs I had held onto since I was young.

I realized through some serious inner work that these old false beliefs only contributed a false sense of hope and fear to my life.

I felt that it was most important for me to clean up my situation by not cheating myself out of experiencing that which is authentic in life.

Changing my old life into a life of exploration and growth has offered me those new experiences that won't permit my inner stagnation.

That is only my experience of change, or my "Metanoia."

Last edited by GHOST DOG : 01-15-2012 at 10:35 AM.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:31 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
If it really doesn't matter to you then why do you lie to your insides, telling yourself not to let this "hope" slip away?
Lie to my insides? Am I supposed to lie to my mind instead? I have $40 in the bank and no escape route. Might as well enjoy it instead of crying over spilled milk.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:42 AM
We are all that we have

Quote:
Lie to my insides? Am I supposed to lie to my mind instead? I have $40 in the bank and no escape route. Might as well enjoy it instead of crying over spilled milk.
I've been there, and it wasn't pretty.
What else can you do?

What we tell ourselves speaks louder than anything that anyone outside of us can say.

I only offer a hand up to everyone that I meet on this board to challenge in themselves that which they've never, ever challenged before, without that usual bias that we all carry around.